With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frontier Behind the Scenes Details from Writer Hiro Masaki

Frontier Behind the Scenes Details from Writer Hiro Masaki

Lately it seems like we've gotten a wealth of behind the scenes Digimon info...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Hiro Masaki has written a lot of Digimon. He was part of the writing staff for the original run of Adventure thru Frontier, writing at least 10 episodes of each series, along with writing the 2nd Tamers film, Runaway Digimon Express.

In fact, he wrote the most Digimon content for those initial 4 shows, being the most consistently used writer over those years.

With the new Digimon Frontier Blu-ray box coming out soon, which includes a new audio drama that he wrote, along with Sukehiro Tomita (the series composer for Frontier) seemingly being retired, Maskai has decided he's the one who needs to pop up to give fans fun info in the leadup to the Blu-ray box release via his Twitter account.

Garm has skimmed thru what he's posted so far and provided translations!

The handful of images are general Frontier images we've added.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

They went all out writing what they specifically wanted to see for Tamers. For Frontier they went back to writing for the fans, aiming to write something thrilling and exciting for kids and the original fans.

The first Frontier episode he was in charge of was episode 6. He wanted to turn seemingly everyday locales into something from another world, like in 'The Poseidon Adventure', which he tried to express thru things like the KaratukiNumemon's vertical cliff village for example.

He also wanted to make the Grottomon battle an adventure to watch on it's own, such as by using seemingly innocuous stuff lying around the village, such as rails, mirrors, cables, etc. in unexpected ways.

Episode 6 was titled 'The Five Legendary Warriors vs the New Warrior!', but early in production it was called 'Grottomon of Earth'.

Episode 12, 'Roar Vritramon! Defeat Gigasmon!' was titled 'A Courageous Returning of Favor' early in production. The early production title referred to how Tomoki brought Takuya back to his senses, the way Takuya did for him earlier. This title was scrapped because that element ends up resolved before they go to commercials.

The quicksand scene in the episode was based on a scene from Tarzan and the Amazons:

Episode 17, 'Blizzarmon, Blow the Snow, Call the Glaciers!' is a rare case where the early production title was used in the final episode. The episode title it a reference to the Pink Floyd song 'One of these Days', which in Japan is called 'Blow the Wind, Call the Storm'. Akiba Market was originally named Trading Marketplace. Nanomon's shop was modeled after a retro electronics store, the disk it got in the episode was specificied as being an old 5 inch floppy in the script notes.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Episode 18, 'Choo-Choo! The Great Trailmon Race', was another time when the early production title ended up being used. The title is a reference to the cartoon 'Wacky Races', which was called 'The Great Choo-Choo Machine Races' in Japan. WereGarurumon Black and Dogmon were direct references to the Wacky Races characters Dick Dastardly and Muttley. The city the race was held in was modeled after Monaco.

Episode 23, 'Feel the Power of Digimon! Takuya's Full-Body Strategy' was known as 'Takuya's Development' early in production.

Episode 33, 'The New Warriors of Darkness! Lowemon & KaiserLeomon', was yet another case of an early production title being used in the final show. The episode was pretty much there to show off Cherubumon's proper debut and Kouichi's two new forms. The idea of Kouichi's mother working at a cleaning factory was based on his own wife.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Episode 35, 'Spirits Become One! Takuya and Kouji's Ultimate Evolution!' was titled 'The ○○ that Calls Upon Miracles! KaiserGreymon and MagnaGarurumon!' ○○ was apparently stand in text, with the plan being that it would be replaced with the name of the upgraded D-Scanner.

Episode 39, 'This is the Digital World?! Escape from the Moon', was titled 'Digimon Goes to the Moon' early in production. The moon was based on the Gerry Anderson television series UFO. The rocket in the crater was based on the classic film A Trip to the Moon.

Episode 45, 'The Jumbled Data Plan! Defend Akiba Market', was titled 'Defend Akiba Market' early in production. He mentions that Nanomon, Sepikmon, WereGarurumon Black, and Dogmon returned. He personally feels that since the designers put their heard into designing Digimon, he wanted to treasure their presence instead of just using them once and tossing them out. He notes this has been true since since Adventure as well.

Episode 47, 'The Royal Knights Fall, And...!!', actually had the same title early in production, but without the exclamation points. Since this was his final episode he was working on, he wanted to kind of sum up and recap the hero, Takuya, in his own way, and wrap up their fight with the Royal Knights. He believes it's similiar to what he did with Daisuke in episode 48 of Adventure 02, but he couldn't make Takuya go through the same kind of 'awakening' due to plot progression reasons. He adds that he feels like, to him, Daisuke is like the 'Ultimate Hero Figure'.

He found it fun to reminisce about the episodes he wrote in the leadup to the Blu-ray box, and that as one of the people involved in creating Frontier, no matter how viewers may assess the work, that they took the time to watch it in the first place brings him joy.

He finishes by asking everyone to please enjoy the drama CD.

Some great details from Hiro Masaki about the episodes of Frontier he wrote.

Hopefully more to come for behind the scenes details for Digimon Frontier!

Thanks again to garm for the translations.

Pre-orders are available for the Digimon Frontier Blu-ray box. It will be available April 2nd, 2019 for 53,800 yen. Early versions of the box will include the new Frontier audio drama.

The first link is a CDJapan is an affiliate link that helps the site.
    Digimon Frontier Blu-ray Box
    Digimon Frontier Blu-ray Box Amazon Edition- Includes mini shikishi and 6 acrylic keychains.

Update- Added episode 45 content above.
    Update- Added episode 47, which was the last episode he wrote.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Such an interesting trivia! Thanks Garm and great thanks to the others too. Interesting that the Trailmon Race city is modeled after Monaco. I think I prefer the tentative title for the episode 35 instead of the final one, because you get the sensation that KaiserGreymon & MagnaGarurumon are just Takuya's and Koji's evolution when they born from the will of the others too. Now I'm tented to ask this guy if the Dukemon that appears in Akiba Market it's a Royal Knight (considering the concept was created for the continuity of Frontier), a cameo of Tamer's one, or just a random Dukemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    Now I'm tented to ask this guy if the Dukemon that appears in Akiba Market it's a Royal Knight (considering the concept was created for the continuity of Frontier), a cameo of Tamer's one, or just a random Dukemon.
    You realize of course, fans doing this is why Konaka stopped talking about Tamers right?

Maybe people should have a modicum of self control and not act like fools.

I don't even know why you'd 'want' to ask him about something random that basically meant nothing other than a cameo.

It's a random cameo, move on. You don't need to bother the guy.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Punknap On Twitter
    New D-Scanners when though.

Visit Flamon's Youtube Channel Add Flamon on Steam Add Flamon on DeviantArt
    Episode 18, 'Choo-Choo! The Great Trailmon Race', was another time when the early production title ended up being used. The title is a reference to the cartoon 'Wacky Races', which was called 'The Great Choo-Choo Machine Races' in Japan. WereGarurumon Black and Dogmon were direct references to the Wacky Races characters Dick Dastardly and Muttley. The city the race was held in was modeled after Monaco.
    I remember this being alluded to when Digimon Uncensored was still somewhat intact. It's cool to hear that this suspicion was spot-on.

Episode 39, 'This is the Digital World?! Escape from the Moon', was titled 'Digimon Goes to the Moon' early in production. The moon was based on the Gerry Anderson television series UFO.
    Heh. Comes to show that no matter where you are, Gerry Anderson's influence really did cover the globe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamon View Post
    I remember this being alluded to when Digimon Uncensored was still somewhat intact. It's cool to hear that this suspicion was spot-on.
    This literally has nothing to do with old websites.

Borderline the entire episode is Wacky Races. It is not subtle.

The only way someone might miss it being Wacky Racers is if they aren't familiar with it.

Visit Flamon's Youtube Channel Add Flamon on Steam Add Flamon on DeviantArt
    That was what I meant. The reference is obvious but that I am aware of it was never confirmed officially for a while.

I kind of like the “whatever seems cool at the moment” mentality they had making this show. It did a good job giving the setting a feeling of spontaneity and wonder.

Updated the article with episode 45 related content.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    Well, I haven't watched Frontier in a while, but now that Hiro-san mentions it, Dogmon does kinda resemble Muttley. Also, I don't recall them getting upgraded D-Scanners in Frontier. Like, in Savers, I know they got the Digivice Burst after the Digivice iC couldn't take the DigiSoul Charge of Ultimate Evolution, but I don't recall anything similar ever happening in Frontier, or for that matter Tamers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast