With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Use Your Real/Legal Name in Online Forums Past 2013?

Question Do You Use Your Real/Legal Name in Online Forums Past 2013?

"Nobody use their real name online" and its variations were something that's popular to internet users at least in 00's. Apparently it's outdated now, probably ever since the smartphone era and google starts to asks for real name and integrate almost every service.

It's perfectly understandable for social media to want their user to use their legal identity. But i've seen people starts applying "RealNamePlease" beyond social media: they think people should also use it on online forums, not even they think that pseudonym should be allowed.

I'm personally still conservative to the "don't use your real name online", even on facebook since i have like more than 200 people i never want them to found/connect to me online since i still can't forgive them. I prefer to be able to select people that could be close with me rather than random people went "hey i see you have same alma mater with me, so we must be friend right?" with me or random relative that are older than me went "i've seen you in the days where you're still wearing your diaper, so your opinion on this thing is totally wrong and mine must be right". I also don't really like telling my first name to strangers in my country without meeting me, since most of them would falsely assume my gender (i got my name in both male and female list when i apply for student's union).

What do you think about this? Should you use your real/legal name on any online forum, including fandom forums and gaming forum, beyond professional platform such as social media and job seeker site? If you ever registered in an online forum where the paradigm of using real name online has already switched, did you actually use your real/legal name for it?

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    how about "half"? mix of real/legal + fictitious names? Also I reckon the real issue lies not with names but with passwords nowadays...

I come from the net
    As a teenager I used various pseudonyms. I now use my real name in most places online. But I'm glad that people can't easily find my teenage stupidities. And even now, I prefer not to be too public about the extent of my Digimon obsession

I think kids and teenagers should be discouraged from using real names online, because they don't have a full grasp of consequences yet. And I'm totally against websites requiring real names, including social media. Here's an interesting list to think about: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/W...s%22_policy%3F

I come from the net

...Can I use video responses? Is that something only a few do? Sorry if that's too sarcastic. Anyway. The short of the matter is, No F blank way. Never. I don't even really like that facebook made me. Why would I? I don't get to be myself if people can find what I say. The most with Twitter and a forum or two.

No. A consistent online persona is perfectly valid means of online interaction and has the bonus of putting an extra layer of obfuscation between you and people who may want to hurt you.
    "A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author." -G. K. Chesterton

I come from the net
    Well yeah. This is how people know me. This is me on the internet. Sort of a superhero thing.

Not really, and I never will. Even my Facebook account isn't using my real name.

I come from the net
    Iím surprised how many people on here are against using their real name on Facebook? Most of the people on my Facebook are friends, family, co-workers, and former schoolmates. With only a few online friends on my Facebook. So I have no reason to use a fake name on there. I also have my settings set to private and to where I can only be sent a friend request if we have mutual friends.

Online forums such as this I see no reason to use my real name. That always seemed odd when people do that like on the former IMDB boards.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Yeah, it takes the Facebook tradition of being "friends" with strangers rather far.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    On social media sure, I'm not gonna make up some fake name when I have real people on there. my IRL mates would be like why is your name set as "Meiko Mochizuki"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast