With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Use Your Real/Legal Name in Online Forums Past 2013?

Since I have no social media accounts to speak of (anxiety based paranoia on top of a extreme fear/dislike of people keeps that from happening), all of my accounts are various names I came up with in the past. This one just happens to be the oldest of the ones I use. I think maybe I've mentioned my first name in passing once or twice though when referring to myself in a funny story or something.
    ☾🍄Virus-Types are awesome!🍄☽
    ​Avatar drawn by me... yeeeears ago.
    My Digimon Line: Nyokimon > Tanemon > Floramon >Sunflowmon > Blossomon > Lotusmon

Never. I try to keep online and irl accounts as separate as possible. I juggle 10 admin and admin-related positions across the Internet (mainly account security, anti-phishing, copyright, and related), so it's pretty much a necessity. I've already had to deal with a number of online stalkers (and one who apparently crossed the online / irl bounds) without connecting my online and real-world activities.

But it's weird at the same time because of social media and professional networking. With more and more professional interactions going online, I'm also having more and more accounts tied to my real-life identity instead. It's sort of like leading a double Internet life, I guess.

Ain't got no mojo... RasenPoKeimon's Avatar
    Follow RasenPoKeimon On Twitter
    I actually dislike the new era of people using real names since to me it seems so dull. If you are using a name over a username I find it cooler if they use a name like the Myspace era site models. Granted most who use real names on Twitter or YouTube tend to be going for a serious thing over the people I know like fandubbeers,lpers etc so that part makes sense

Nope not even FaceBook has my real name :P

I have 2 facebooks. 1 for family only/family friends/local moms with my real name and 1 for all my internet friends with a fake name, but I name I want to be real.

Follow cosmicrow On Twitter
    My social media like Facebook is only for family and personal friends; so, yes I use my real name there. Things like instagram and twitter have my real name (first and last or just first). For platforms like this, where I know I'm going to be more... 'virtual' (does that make sense?) I use a screen name. But I don't really have a problem giving out my first name or last name. Honestly, I think a lot of the logic around not using it was fear for a lot of people. "What if someone finds out where I live based on my name?" which is entirely understandable. But, I think someone could likely just figure that out based on IP, which ... doesn't matter what name I'm using.

Honestly, I just like my username XD it has a fun little meaning for myself, so.. I want to use it!

Add Faust on Steam Add Faust on DeviantArt
    Most people thing my username is just that based on various anime and what not. At this point in life, I am who I am, I don't feel the need to hide things. I still use a handful of usernames but for the most part, it's usually just my name.

I come from the net
    If it helps, how many would believe Faust is a real name. Sure there's Lauren but you get what I mean right?

As a first name? Does seem a bit unique.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12