With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State of the Digital World post-Tri

Ain't got no mojo... Hoy-Small-Fry's Avatar

State of the Digital World post-Tri

First up, I watched the dub so there may be clarifications from the original version that are lost on me, so please feel free to dispute things!

After finishing Our Future (which I absolutely adored), I was pretty happy that the core plot had wrapped itself up. However there are a few questions that going forward the show leaves open. Obviously there's the whole Dark Gennai thing, but I've been giving the state the Digital World has been left in a lot of thought, as it is something that can really be expanded upon going forward.

Rebooted Threats to the Digital World
    The reboot rebooted everything and everyone, regardless of where they died. Which implicitly means that all of the enemies that had previously been defeated are now back in the Digital World (case in point, the re-emergence of Devimon).
    What is most curious to me is that this means the Dark Masters are now at large again, or at the very least Puppetmon and Piedmon (not sure if Dark Gennai's pair count). Isn't this a massive cause for concern?!

The Sovereigns
    Which leads to this, the lack of the Digimon Sovereigns. I'm not entirely sure what function they served, but if they didn't fight the Dark Masters, are they now void too? I'm assuming potentially not, as Alphamon, Hackmon etc seem unaffected by the reboot, but the re-appearance of Tapirmon does raise the question.

Memories and Partners
    Ok so Meicoomon had the memories that Izzy had somehow backed up stored within her, restoring the partner Digimon to their former state. What of everyone else?
    It's left very unclear whether Meicoomon had a partner backup or a Digital World backup, so interested to hear thoughts on this. Of particular interest to me is whether the 02 partners now know Davis etc - potentially irrelevant if they were killed outright by Alphamon, but it's a big question mark going forward. Likewise the likes of Leomon, Elecmon etc

Trapped in Our World?
    A final thought that only just occurred to me, the main 8 are currently stuck in the human world. As they only travel based on portals or distortions, unless Izzy creates a method of travel, the partners are stuck in our world. Likewise Gennai was the 5th man in the escape tubes, so presumably got transported to the human world with Tai. How is he getting home?
    Not a huge issue but a unique circumstance that as far as I can recall, never happened at the end of an Adventure series or arc

Excited to hear everyone's thoughts! (especially as you've all had longer to think about it!)

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    About returning threats, since the Dark Masters were probably created by Apocalymon, and Apocalymon is gone, not being a natural part of the Digital World, there’s probably not much danger there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoy-Small-Fry View Post
    The reboot rebooted everything and everyone, regardless of where they died. Which implicitly means that all of the enemies that had previously been defeated are now back in the Digital World (case in point, the re-emergence of Devimon).
    What is most curious to me is that this means the Dark Masters are now at large again, or at the very least Puppetmon and Piedmon (not sure if Dark Gennai's pair count).
    They might potentially eventually be at large again but remember the Dark Masters got their powers from apocalymon, that was what made them dangerous. And Apocalymon ig gone and so is the part of the data of him that was in Meicoomon and it would probably take a very long time for enough death to accumulate to form a new one.
    Isn't this a massive cause for concern?!
    Um... no. After all we're not in 1999 anymore, now Omegamon merciful mode exists who could probably vaporize the dark masters just by coughing in their general direction.

[/B]Which leads to this, the lack of the Digimon Sovereigns. I'm not entirely sure what function they served, but if they didn't fight the Dark Masters, are they now void too?
    THey seemed to be responsible for keeping the balance of the world in a more general sense... and they just kind of sucked at their job I guess.

the re-appearance of Tapirmon does raise the question.
    Tapirmon never evolved into a Holy Beast.

Ok so Meicoomon had the memories that Izzy had somehow backed up stored within her, restoring the partner Digimon to their former state. What of everyone else?
    It's left very unclear whether Meicoomon had a partner backup or a Digital World backup, so interested to hear thoughts on this.
    It certainly looked like it was a backup of everything, since we did see random Digimon other than the Partners being hit by the pink laser beams.

A final thought that only just occurred to me, the main 8 are currently stuck in the human world. As they only travel based on portals or distortions, unless Izzy creates a method of travel, the partners are stuck in our world. Likewise Gennai was the 5th man in the escape tubes, so presumably got transported to the human world with Tai. How is he getting home?
    Not a huge issue but a unique circumstance that as far as I can recall, never happened at the end of an Adventure series or arc
    It's pretty much exactly what happened at the end of Adventure. Since I believe the implication was that the gate closing was part of Yggdrasil's doing, they might now be in a position again where the gate might not be constantly open but just kind of spontaneously opens like it was the case between Adventure and 02. And of course... Gennai and Hackmon seem to just be able to come and go between worlds as they please, so they'll probably sort out any logistics in that area.

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    I really reckon something is still off in the digital world with Dark Gennai/Alphamon still at large and the state of dark ocean still unclear...so this will set up for the 5-years later sequel some time next year...

Ain't got no mojo...
    The Sovereigns
    Which leads to this, the lack of the Digimon Sovereigns. I'm not entirely sure what function they served, but if they didn't fight the Dark Masters, are they now void too? I'm assuming potentially not, as Alphamon, Hackmon etc seem unaffected by the reboot, but the re-appearance of Tapirmon does raise the question.
    Alphamon and Jesmon were probably protected by Yggdrasil and Homeostasis respectively. As for the Sovereigns, more than likely without protection they were rebooted as well. And even if they didn't, if we take the words of the original Digimon producers as canon that when a human partner dies then their Digimon dies as well, we already know the fate of one of the Sovereigns.

I wonder if the reboot also affected the Dark Ocean - and hence Daemon and Dagomon as well...

The reboot was indicated to reset all Digimon, including the ones lost on earth, so I can see it getting at Digimon in other dimensions, like Daemon. That said, the Dark Ocean residents are not true Digimon and it's an open question as to whether Dagomon is, too, as the Dark Ocean mythology hasn't been developed at all.
    Merry Christmas to the forum! A blessed Christmas Day to you and a blessed Christmas season to follow.

Red shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    About returning threats, since the Dark Masters were probably created by Apocalymon, and Apocalymon is gone, not being a natural part of the Digital World, there’s probably not much danger there.

That depends on if they want to lean into the Novelization Version or not.

Apparently the Novel Version is more Eldritch Horror then Digimon, being the Literal Embodiment of "Concepts Rejected by the Digital World" that used the remains and grudges of the Dead to form a new body. After said body was destroyed it's True Form was revealed as a Mass of Infinitely Cold Darkness, and it was implied it could always create a new body.

Furthermore it seems as a Concept it can only be Delayed or Sealed, not Destroyed.

Given all the Gnosticism stuff quoted at the start of Tri they might lean into this as it kind of resembles some Metaphysical Discussion about the Qlipoth.

As Kabbalah is considered to be one of the origins of Gnosticism it makes a certain amount of sense.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird C View Post
    The reboot was indicated to reset all Digimon, including the ones lost on earth, so I can see it getting at Digimon in other dimensions, like Daemon. That said, the Dark Ocean residents are not true Digimon and it's an open question as to whether Dagomon is, too, as the Dark Ocean mythology hasn't been developed at all.
    Depends if theyre seen as originally from the Adventure Universe. Since the DO is an alt Unvierse, I think the DO Mons were safe.

Plus we saw the Divermon in the DO anyway when Maki was shooting them with the Bazooka she brought, so Dragomon is prob there too.

I wonder if it will effect Cyberdramon from Tamers at all, though.

Those Devimon's you saw were copies created by the Ordinemon's rampaging power, not the original as far as I caught the plot. And those MetalSeadramon and Mugendramon/Machinedramon are soulless version of them without any experience.

As far as I could tell, the reason why their digimon partners couldn't deal with Meiccoomon and her forms was because she absorbed all their power and experience and they were on the level from the first several episodes of season 1 in terms of power, speed, agility. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me atm. It explains how weak they were.

As much as I would like for the reboot to restore some of the killed digimon, I wonder in what state they will be restored, like the two Dark Masters or will they immediately have their memories and experience back, maybe it simply returned them to this world in the digital egg forms.
    This Dark Gennai, or whatever he is, is capable of interdimensional travel as we have seen, I don't think there is anything limiting or controlling this ability be it Yggdrasil or Homeostasis.
    God I wish they make this a series, not a film, it would give them space to develop into amazing story arcs, since they can't scrap Dark Ocean or withold it anymore from being tackled and resolved. Hope we see 02 kids at least a bit more than in tri.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast