With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Digimon series in which the main characters are American?

Ain't got no mojo...

A Digimon series in which the main characters are American?

Anyone who is familiar with the Digimon franchise would know that in every series, all of the main characters are Japanese; which is typical of most anime in general. However, Digimon Adventure 02 featured characters that were from other nations. (Willis and Michael for example are both from the United States) But they were all supporting or minor characters.

This makes me wonder, what if there was a Digimon series in which the main characters are American in nationality instead of Japanese? Reasons behind this may include more global appeal, a new aesthetic, and so on. My idea setting for a show like this would be a major city in the US like New York or Chicago.

Or they could simply keep the Japanese characters but make one of the leads white.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    If they made a main character white, no one could tell the difference, because they'd still look the same and they'd still be speaking Japanese or whatever language the show was dubbed into. Also, from your post it kind of sounds like American=white.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I've always thought making a video game that isn't set in Japan would be a cool idea. If they REALLY wanted to shake it up, they could even set it in Latin or South America as a nod to the large quantities of fans in those parts of the world! I don't think this would be as likely to happen with a show though, I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese show aimed at kids that isn't set mostly in Japan (provided the show is in a real-world setting of course).

I come from the net
    Well, here's my idea for a world spanning series that people here helped work on.

"Hey, we could do the Captain Planet route and have a character from each area: White guy from NA, Someone from SA, a Russian or Latino, someone from an Asian country (obviously Japanese), African American from Africa, and lastly, an Australian or islander from Australia/one of the many islands. (like maybe, a Kiwi)
    With an appropriate Digimon for each; NA Dino/Lizard Latino/Russian bug, Aussie/Islander Aquatic, SA bird, African beast and Asian machine."
    I choose white person for the US because... Well, where else would it be from? England?

Coincidentally enough, here's a line for an English guy.
    English guy Kotemon-Gladimon-Knightmon-Craniummon

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    easiest thing to do for that is to make a spinoff for Wallace...

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    It "could" be interesting, but tbh, my thought also was "doesn't really matter since they'll be speaking Japanese tbh".

Bandai commisnoing an English cartoon to do the same thing, which then gets dubbed into Japanese down the line, 6+ months later would be a good way to try it though.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    If they made a main character white, no one could tell the difference, because they'd still look the same and they'd still be speaking Japanese or whatever language the show was dubbed into. Also, from your post it kind of sounds like American=white.
    Well, the universal method of distinguishing foreigners in anime tends to be to have them be tall with blonde hair and blue eyes (and in the case of female characters atypically large breasts).
    Maybe they could try something like that if they really wanted, I mean think of the enormous amount of "global appeal" that Savers generated when they made one of their main characters half-austrian... oh wait, that was negligible detail for most of the time.

Junior Commander
    Digimon already has ďglobal appealĒ due to its monster designs since they are universal.

The humans arenít the main selling point of the series either itís the Digimon. A humanís nationality is negligible what matters is how well they are written. Plus I donít see how this has anything to do with Digimon.

If anything I would love to see a new series which focuses more on the Digital World than Earth.

I agree in that nationality would have very little to do with Digimon's appeal. In my experience when casual fans or outsiders talk about any or all of the Digimon series they seem to focus more on the actual Digimon themselves and how they evolve with/without human partners than anything else. Only hardcore nerds like us actually go in-depth about the human characters - their personalities, relationships with others (pairings and OTPs ftw!), strength of their partners etc. Even here we only ever talk about nationality in the context of potential fanfiction, or the potential implications of people all over the world having Digimon partners 02-style.

Now if you're talking about a live-action adaptation and they whitewashed the characters like so many other adaptations nowadays for instance, THAT would be trigger-worthy (and rightfully so).

For anime however? Nationality to me just isn't a thing that makes any real difference.

Wallace gets his own series?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast