With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Digimon series in which the main characters are American?

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    If they made a main character white, no one could tell the difference, because they'd still look the same and they'd still be speaking Japanese or whatever language the show was dubbed into. Also, from your post it kind of sounds like American=white.
    Well, the universal method of distinguishing foreigners in anime tends to be to have them be tall with blonde hair and blue eyes (and in the case of female characters atypically large breasts).
    Maybe they could try something like that if they really wanted, I mean think of the enormous amount of "global appeal" that Savers generated when they made one of their main characters half-austrian... oh wait, that was negligible detail for most of the time.
    pretty much, also if it wasn´t for landmarks and food, you woudn´t really notice any difference, even japanese manarisms are left out and they are mostly in the digital world anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiemon827 View Post
    easiest thing to do for that is to make a spinoff for Wallace...
    Quote Originally Posted by boredmon View Post
    Wallace gets his own series?
    I actually would love to see that happen if anything. Expanding his backstory and his younger days with his partners, where he's been and what Digimon he may have fought that we didn't know about, whether or not he ever met any of the other American Digidestinied, whether Cocomon ever comes back again ... that would be quite interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by VanChizzle View Post
    I actually would love to see that happen if anything. Expanding his backstory and his younger days with his partners, where he's been and what Digimon he may have fought that we didn't know about, whether or not he ever met any of the other American Digidestinied, whether Cocomon ever comes back again ... that would be quite interesting to see.
    It would be... very boring.
    After all Chocomon disappeared when it was still, well , Chocomon and and he also acted surprised when Terriermon evolved so chances are he never fought anyone or had any notable adventures before. In other words we've seen nothing of his backstory because there's just nothing to see.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTartarus View Post
    pretty much, also if it wasn´t for landmarks and food, you woudn´t really notice any difference, even japanese manarisms are left out and they are mostly in the digital world anyway.
    I don't agree completely on the point of mannerisms; The mannerisms of most anime characters tend to be clearly Japanese, which is exactly what makes more "aggressive" localization so awkward to look at because its incredibly obvious that those characters are form another culture that the adaptation just doesn't want to acknowledge. And conversely even foreigners depicted in anime tend to have those more Japanese mannerisms for basically no reason (which in some cases is kind of justified by them having lived there for a while or something) besides maybe a few stereotypical western aspects that the writers just throw in.
    It's still true that in most cases this doesn't make a difference for the story in general, it's more a matter of atmosphere.
    Last edited by Theigno; 11-22-2018 at 10:54 AM.

I come from the net
    You know what? That makes a lot of sense. They didn't say anything about him doing anything interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VanChizzle View Post
    It would be... very boring.
    After all Chocomon disappeared when it was still, well , Chocomon and and he also acted surprised when Terriermon evolved so chances are he never fought anyone or had any notable adventures before. In other words we've seen nothing of his backstory because there's just nothing to see.
    Huh, I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the movie because I must have either forgotten not picked up on that before. Just one of those little nuances...

I come from the net
    [QUOTE=digibro217;350658.

Or they could simply keep the Japanese characters but make one of the leads white.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I feel like this is what you were actually wanting. A white lead in Digimon.

[QUOTE=DontStopPataPata;351130]
    Quote Originally Posted by digibro217;350658.

Or they could simply keep the Japanese characters but make one of the leads white.[/QUOTE

For some reason I feel like this is what you were actually wanting. A white lead in Digimon.
    If a white lead is desired... all OP has to do is wait for the first Western live-action adaptation of Digimon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12