21 Years since Digimon Premiered in English

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anniversaries are always fun, and it is time for a big one!

It's been 21 years since the English dub of Digimon premiered.

It premiered on Fox Kids on August 14th, 1999 on Saturday in the USA! The first episode was "And So It Begins..."

With Kizuna coming out soon in English, a new show running, and tons of other things coming out and being announced it's a fun time to celebrate 21 years since the anime began it's run in English

How/When did you first see the dub, and any fun memories about it

Attachments

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I seen the first ep on cheese tv which was a show that was hosted by two guys and it was on before I would go to school. I seen heaps of things like yugioh,one piece,beyblades,duel masters etc on that show I was always excited to wake up in the morning and watch from start to nearly finish because school started at 9 and the show wouldn't finish till 9.30. But that doesn't matter because I got to watch my favourite shows because they would put them on at the start of the show and the last show that was on i didnt watch or care for. Wow just thinking about it makes me sad that i can't go back to that time the time when i was a kid. But digimon is like my time machine and it keeps me feeling like a kid which I love. Thankyou digimon I'll never stop watching.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually can't remember exactly when I first watched English dubbed version of Digimon and I've finished watching dubbed version from Adventure til Savers/Data Squad. It took me a while to get used to English version of a Japanese show but I ended up quite liking most of English voice actors/actresses. Although English version of music was way off for me which I wished that they should have exactly same OP/ED songs with Japanese version but with english lyrics. I also think Digimon dubbed are getting closer to Japanese version in terms of translation throughout the seasons which I really appreciate. Overall I'm quite looking forward to upcoming English dubbed version of Kizuna and Adventure reboot:)

Konekoneko

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wasn’t actually allowed to watch TV as a kid... the only reason I saw the series was because there was a magical 30 minutes between when I got back from school and my mom returned from work. Lol. My first episode was the one where Devimon splits them up. I was like 8? I don’t really have any fun stories but kinda hilarious tidbit I guess is that it would take me over an hour to walk to school but somehow only 15 minutes on the way home. Lol I guess I didn’t want to miss my Mons. The series will always be special to me because it helped me through some really difficult times. I still get a lot of joy out of watching it even now...I can totally see myself as an old granny in some nursing home watching it on repeat. XD

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I believe the first episode I saw part of was episode 8 of Adventure, before they reached the cottage. It was on during my school’s latchkey program. I was probably in fourth grade at the time. Can’t remember when I started actually getting into the show, but I think I started following it around the start of the Tokyo arc. I watched the first three series dubbed, but we didn’t get the channel the Frontier dub was on, so I kind of fell away from Digimon. I only saw part of Blizzarmon’s dub debut episode quite a while later while my Grandma was babysitting my brother and me. I rediscovered the franchise in high school, just as Savers was wrapping up. From watching it subbed and researching the franchise, I realized how much better the original version was, and left the dub behind.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't remember what used to be in the time slot at the time on CITV (UK), however Digimon Episode 1 happened. Thought it kinda cool and then went on to see the rest of Adventure and 02 on CITV over-time. Tamers we had 4 episodes on CITV and then it stopped airing. Got sent tapes from a friend who had recordered from the TV and Frontier tapes from Australia of all places lol. The rest is as they say, known and found my place in the fandom starting way back in a Tamers Yahoo Group lol.

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I was about to become 12 years old. I felt a bit ashamed at the time that I loved what was mostly considered as a Pokemon rip off but I could not help but love the show mostly do to how lovable I found the chosen children.

Especially Joe and Mimi.

My first episode was ''Biyomon gets firepower'' which is probably why I have always had a soft spot for Devimon since that was the first episode about the black gear episode which he controlled.

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watching that premier is ingrained in my brain. I remember jumping on the couches and playing Digimon with my cousin afterwards, creating our own 'Digidex' out of paper (which is what we assumed the Digivice was called lol)
I had Canadian cable, didn't have an antenna to get Fox Kids, so the struggle was SO real to watch future episodes.

PCmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My first episode was the dub premiere of Ikkakumon, episode 7, back when the show aired new episodes 5 days a week on Fox Kids. I was a bit leery since, as with many uneducated kids, I thought it was just a Pokemon ripoff. Still, I gave it another shot the next day, and I was quickly hooked. Digimon Adventure became, and to this day still is, my favorite TV show of all time.

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Woohoo! I watched the premiere that morning and bought my first two v-pets later that day. Can’t believe it’s been 21 years.

Saberdramon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watching Digimon was pretty tricky as a child as it was airing on TV because they only showed it on CITV which due to the adverts and my young mind's short attention span didn't go well together over the far more favourable BBC channels. However I did find two video cassettes of about three episodes on each one at a bootsale, and would just repeatedly watch those instead. I think it spanned between episodes 5-10.
It was only later on when I was a young teenager I got to watch the whole first series in full.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gwydion

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My first experience was actually part of episode 21. I was already in high school at the time, and though I've always liked cartoons in general, I wasn't a Pokemon fan and therefore didn't really want to watch a "Pokemon rip off". But I was switching through channels and happened to pause on the scene of Tai grabbing the phone from Kari and listening to his mom on the other end. All I knew of the show was that it was supposed to be about these kids with monster pets fighting other monsters in another world, so seeing him in the real world and acting like he hadn't heard his mom's voice in a long time just kind of struck me, I guess.

That one brief clip I saw got me interested, and when a little while later I was staying home from school because I was sick and caught another episode on - don't remember which it was exactly, but I think perhaps 32? - I decided to watch it. I was very happy to find that that morning was a "Digi-thon", and I had several hours of Digimon to keep me busy. I saw the majority of the Myotismon arc, right up to the episode where Wizardmon sacrifices himself, and it ended. I was pretty upset I didn't get to see how it ended as Myotismon was clearly not defeated for good, but the show was on at a time I normally wouldn't catch it. So I did what any sneaky 16 year old who didn't want their siblings finding out that they were suddenly into a "Pokemon rip off" at the time would have done and started setting the VCR up the night before to record the episodes the next morning, and then I'd watch them when everyone else was in bed, lol. It took me a long time to see the end of that arc as the episodes skipped around a bit, but I was hooked, and it didn't stay a secret for long.

I still love the dub of that first season so much, and it's grown to hold a very special place in my heart. Hard to believe it's been over 20 years, but it's been fun sharing both it and subsequent seasons with my nephews, who are currently enjoying the reboot very much despite one having to read the subtitles aloud to the other, lol.

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, I still remember watching the first promo for the Digimon anime on Fox Kids (way back when Pokémon was also on Fox Kids) at the start of elementary. Shoot, I wonder if I can ever find that ad on Youtube. That started a trend of having a dream about Digimon right before a season premier. Heh, I remember the first "Digimon" in my dream was basically a Bulbasaur with colored gems on it. So wrong, but it was probably because I though Yokomon looked like a pallet-swapped Oddish. Needless to say, episode 1 went way differently than my dream and didn't involve storing Digimon inside Digivices (well, not for several years). A year later, it must have been the night before season 2 dropped that I had a weird Digimon / Zoboomafoo crossover where Animal Junction was under attack by some sort of Digimon. I also seemingly thought Flamedramon's promo was supposed to be avian with a feather on its head, so I guess I had a habit of only partially seeing Digimon designs… Then I swear I dreamed of Calumon the summer between seasons 2 and 3 before his art had even been dropped in the US (apparently I had another friend who thought up a design much like WarGrowlmon before he was released as well). I don't think I had any dream before Frontier, though that was probably because I only accidentally stumbled upon it airing on Sundays on UPN of all channels.

Anyway, yeah. I was hooked so quickly and loved the different tone from Pokémon. This really continued throughout the season, especially when they had to deal with the issue of death (which was surprising to see handled seriously in a show with that young a target audience, on broadcast). I think Digimon also gave me a bit of an odd connection with my older brother. He was always into computers and might as well have been Izzy incarnated at times, so a show that featured computers and the Internet gave me a bit of a glimpse into that really as the Internet was becoming more of a mainstay.

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My first experience was actually part of episode 21. I was already in high school at the time, and though I've always liked cartoons in general, I wasn't a Pokemon fan and therefore didn't really want to watch a "Pokemon rip off". But I was switching through channels and happened to pause on the scene of Tai grabbing the phone from Kari and listening to his mom on the other end. All I knew of the show was that it was supposed to be about these kids with monster pets fighting other monsters in another world, so seeing him in the real world and acting like he hadn't heard his mom's voice in a long time just kind of struck me, I guess.

That one brief clip I saw got me interested, and when a little while later I was staying home from school because I was sick and caught another episode on - don't remember which it was exactly, but I think perhaps 32? - I decided to watch it. I was very happy to find that that morning was a "Digi-thon", and I had several hours of Digimon to keep me busy. I saw the majority of the Myotismon arc, right up to the episode where Wizardmon sacrifices himself, and it ended. I was pretty upset I didn't get to see how it ended as Myotismon was clearly not defeated for good, but the show was on at a time I normally wouldn't catch it. So I did what any sneaky 16 year old who didn't want their siblings finding out that they were suddenly into a "Pokemon rip off" at the time would have done and started setting the VCR up the night before to record the episodes the next morning, and then I'd watch them when everyone else was in bed, lol. It took me a long time to see the end of that arc as the episodes skipped around a bit, but I was hooked, and it didn't stay a secret for long.

I still love the dub of that first season so much, and it's grown to hold a very special place in my heart. Hard to believe it's been over 20 years, but it's been fun sharing both it and subsequent seasons with my nephews, who are currently enjoying the reboot very much despite one having to read the subtitles aloud to the other, lol.
Not watching Digimon because you don't like Pokemon is like not reading Batman because you don't like the Phantom.

Gwydion

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not watching Digimon because you don't like Pokemon is like not reading Batman because you don't like the Phantom.
I obviously realize that now, but back in 2000 when I was only 16 and anime was just starting to pick up steam in the US, the two were seen as very similar if you didn't know any better, which at the time I didn't. I had no reason to know better - no one my age was watching it.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't remember right now when it started but I do remember loving it. Trying to figure out stuff is a lot easier now then back then. But I'm glad it's still going. Maybe we can keep the series going for at least another 3 series. heh heh

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I obviously realize that now, but back in 2000 when I was only 16 and anime was just starting to pick up steam in the US, the two were seen as very similar if you didn't know any better, which at the time I didn't. I had no reason to know better - no one my age was watching it.
Yeah. I remember feeling similar. Digimon has always had to carry the stigma of pokemon rip off since it's inception.

Last edited:

Vice

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow time flies, I was in the third grade when this came out and I remember seeing the commercials on Fox Kids. I didn’t watch it from the beginning however, the first episode I watched was either the episode with Frigimon or the episode with WereGarurumon. I got more into the series when the Eight child arc started, and I had a few VHS tapes of the first 6 episodes.

I was more into Pokémon at first, a friend of mine in my class put me on too Digimon.

cool potato

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember seeing the first episode air! I sat on the floor, eyes glued to the tv.

I loved the introductions to all the characters. Started writing my own for me and my friends immediately after lol.

It was seriously magical. And the only other pilot I remember striking me with such a strong impression was when adventure 02 aired.

It caught me completely by surprise! I was so sad when the first season ended and was struck with tons of emotion seeing it be continued. 7 year old me was genuinely astonished.