20th Anniversary Pendulum discussion thread

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
thanks I’ll keep that in mind. I did buy a soldering iron today in order to potentially get all the eggs per your hacking tutorial. Question, since mines the silver blue it should already have JP2 connected right? Is it connected with solder? It’s hard to tell in the pic. Would I just remove that solder with the iron? How likely am I to screw this all up lol
Yep, it is connected with solder, so you will be able to remove that with your iron. Just make sure your hand is incredibly steady and that you follow every step perfectly, including the resetting. There's always a chance you can lose save data from the procedure even being as careful as possible, but following the steps really helps prevent that.
Thanks for the help...but I could not get the existing connection to melt off. I don't know if my iron just didn't get hot enough or what...Due to how expensive these are now, I'm reluctant to open it up and try again (I at least didn't mess anything up). Oh well. Guess I may have to fork over the cash for the other version afterall, or just miss out entirely. My fault for not getting one when they were cheaper.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It would help to use some desoldering braid (and if you've never done it before, practice first on something that doesn't matter, because if you mess it up you can rip the traces off the PCB).

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Being that there's no 100% way to know if the batteries are dying on this device, how often would you suggest changing the battieres (properly as to avoid save data loss)?

Samtheweebo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Being that there's no 100% way to know if the batteries are dying on this device, how often would you suggest changing the battieres (properly as to avoid save data loss)?
It will tell you I think. I remember getting some sort of change batteries message. But I don't remember exactly what it was like.

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It definitely tells you on the DM20 and DMX, but I honestly never remember seeing it on the Pen20, so I can't be sure. Often the sound and the pendulum accuracy start to fade before the battery dies though, so that's a sign. Every 3 months should be plenty for the Pen20, it's very good with batteries.

icymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is it worth hacking the pendulums?

I just got my hands on both silver blue and silver black. I saw a YT whereby the poster commented that if one tried to hack all the eggs on silver black, the save file will become unstable as it is unable to handle so many eggs and digimons

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've had my Silver blue for some time and was unable to successfully hack it (I couldn't get the existing connection to remove and didn't want to risk permanent damage) so I finally sucked it up and paid (way too much) for a Silver Black. If you ask me, it's not worth the chance of damaging the device either way since these are so freaking expensive now. Of course, that's completely up to you. But there's little benefit if you already have both, anyway.

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@icymon I have had mine modded for a long time now without any issues and I love it. It's a risk, but the worth is for you to decide. My main suggestion is that if you do it, use solder, as that's going to be the safest bet.

icymon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks @humulos , I was thinking about upgrading them to Buzzlemon and Dukemon versions respectively as it only require soldering once.

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the screens on these? My SilverBlue has a lot of dust, but I tried using a microfiber cloth and it only seemed to make things worse.

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the screens on these? My SilverBlue has a lot of dust, but I tried using a microfiber cloth and it only seemed to make things worse.
Isopropyl Alcohol (99% is what I use) and a swab (preferably true swabs, as Q-tips have a bunch of loose fibers that get in the way)

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Isopropyl Alcohol (99% is what I use) and a swab (preferably true swabs, as Q-tips have a bunch of loose fibers that get in the way)
Thanks, I'll try that! Is it safe to do that method while the device is intact? Or do I need to take the device apart and clean the screen seperate?

humulos

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks, I'll try that! Is it safe to do that method while the device is intact? Or do I need to take the device apart and clean the screen seperate?
Intact is just fine, so long as you aren't just pouring the alcohol directly onto the device haha. A dipped swab wouldn't hold enough to leak behind the screen, and even if it a small amount got in, the point of alcohol compared to other cleaners is that is's safe for electronics, hence why you would use it to clean circuit connections themselves.

whatthechuck3

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks! Another question. The screw that keeps the battery cover closed on my Silver Blue seems to be very loose. I'm guessing the screw is stripped or something, but it won't fully tighten (it just rotates endlessly when trying to tighten it). Does anyone know of replacement screws that work?