20th Anniversary of Digimon Tamers!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Image Thumbnail (custom)

It's April 1st in Japan, so time for another anniversary! Digimon Tamers began 20 years ago on April 1st, 2001.

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

Tamers was the first time time the anime tried a new universe, and mixed in concepts we saw in the franchise previously with some more sci-fi elements.

Fans of Tamers have always liked that slightly different feel the series had, largely brought to the table by Chiaka Konaka, and were very pleased when the show not only got a Blu-ray box a few years ago, but a new story with it written by Konaka!

In recent years, on top of that Blu-ray box and audio drama, Tamers has gotten a number of figures, a few anniversary D-Ark releases, plus some featured facetime in recent V-Pet releases.

Tamers fans will likely have many thoughts about the series to share.

We did a breakdown of the Digimon Tamers BD-Box a couple years ago, along with a translation (with additional translated details) of the audio drama.

The Digimon Tamers Blu-ray Box is still available to order. Be aware many stores are actively advertising that the first print version is sold out: (Affiliate link)
Digimon Tamers BD-Box

An image Megahouse shared of a number of the figures they've done with characters featured in Tamers! (This is the same image they shared last year.)

Update- Digimon Web put up social art and a message!

April 1st, 2001 was the day that Digimon Tamers started broadcasting. Today is the 20th Anniversary.🎊
Congratulations Tamers! Let's celebrate together!🎉
🍞Have some bread & say cheers!

Attachments

Last edited:

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What a coincidence, I’m nearing the end of a Tamers run now. Can’t believe I was just ten years old at the time... but it’s a good series, holds up for the most part.

Exodd

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember recording the U.S, premiere of Tamers on VHS, because my parents had to go somewhere in the Saturday morning but I didn't want to miss the show. The first meeting with Guilmon was so tense.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added social art and a message from Digimon Web.

AppliFang

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We need a figurerishe MegaGargmon or something lol
Sakuyamon had a mini fig,,,CM Gallantmon gets a rerelease...

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We need a figurerishe MegaGargmon or something lol
Sakuyamon had a mini fig,,,CM Gallantmon gets a rerelease...
Jian/Henry is cursed. He didn't get a G.E.M figure or a 15th anniversary green D-ark (I know I don't shut up about the green D-ark, but I reeeeally need it!)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That picture is fun. Bread for all! This sure was a fun series. So different. Everyone sure loves Renamon... *ahem* Also a lot of people like Impmon. ...Maybe now hey can get him a Champion that fits with Baalmon.

Kyaromonfan96

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That picture is fun. Bread for all! This sure was a fun series. So different. Everyone sure loves Renamon... *ahem* Also a lot of people like Impmon. ...Maybe now hey can get him a Champion that fits with Baalmon.
Heck yeah, Guilmon gets all the bread till his tummy hurts.

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember that teaser poster. It gave you the impression Impmon was going to be some big bad initially.

Ultimamon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This takes me back to the first time I saw Renamon in this very pic, and was left puzzled as to why a Rookie Digimon looked more like a Champion.:unsure:
Though it is a design choice that still hasn't really grown on me I'm afraid. Overall, I'm not a fan of that line.

So yeah, Tamers. Granted I might be dicing with death for making any critique towards this show. And while I like it well enough , I do think it's reputation over the years has become rather inflated. The show suffers from having an interesting opening arc, followed by a rather plodding middle act, before ramping things back up for the finale.
In addition I don't feel the likes of Hirokazu and Kenta contributed anything particularly interesting to the group dynamic, just serving as so-so comic relief.
Then there is Ryo, and his jarring insertion into the middle of the plot. Which is a problem when you have a character whose backstory comes from supplementary material that never made it outside of Japan.

What I did rather like is how it went for a slightly more science fiction approach to the franchise, as opposed to being more fantasy based.
The show didn't really have what could be considered a proper villain which was unusual. The D-Reaper being just a program.