20th Anniversary of Digimon Adventure: Children's War Game!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's March 4th in Japan, which is the day Children's War Game (or Our War Game), the second Digimon Adventure film, opened in Japan.

Generally held up as one of the best, if not 'the' best, parts of the franchise, Children's War Game premiered as part of the 2000 Spring Toei Anime Fair, so it's the 20th anniversary of the movie!

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

The film was used as the 2nd of 3 parts for the American composite Digimon the Movie, and was the part of the film that was most heavily advertised around.

Because of the film director Mamoru Hosoda ending up at Studio Ghibli for a short time, before his eventual rise into being one of the better known Japanese directors.

The film also seemed to have stuck with Hosoda to a decent degree though, as he's actually remade it twice!

First as the (slightly less well known) short film Superflat Monogram in collaboration with Louis Vuitton and artist Takashi Murakami (Hosoda once commented that the way that happened was Murakami saw the film, and later when Louis Vuitton wanted to work with him, the presentation Murakami made involved the Digimon film, which is what later led to Hosoda being involved.)

Second is as the feature film Summer Wars, which is an expanded 'Digimon free remake' of the film, which was a well liked and successful feature film. In fact Summer Wars is celebrating it's 10th anniversary this year with a number of events and rereleases.

Various aspects of the visuals from the second Digimon film continue to show up through Hosoda's work, and the film continues to be something he's asked about at Q&A events.

The second theatrical Digimon film seem to be what the franchise looks to on a normal basis at what to aim for, as you can see it acting as a guide for numerous Digimon content, from various films, to Cyber Sleuth, to tri., to Appmon, and that likely won't stop based on it's popularity.

Even Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna takes a decent amount of inspiration from it visually as we've seen in various trailers.

On top of everything else, it's just a fun and exciting movie to watch, which is part of why it's stood at the tip top of the franchise for so long.

Late last year we got ahold of promotional film slides and did scans of the clean version of the movie poster off of one.

After the release of the movie as part of a larger Digimon movie Blu-ray Box, it was later re-released as a single along with the first Digimon Adventure film, also directed by Hosoda! Those are still available: (affiliate links)
Digimon the Movies Blu-ray Box
Digimon Adventure Movies 1 and 2 Blu-ray

Attachments

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
happy 20th Anniversary Omegamon!!! even after all these years Omegamon is still top of the popularity list:)

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy birthday, Our War Game! Count me among those calling it the best part of Digimon.

What sticks with me so much about this movie is how spot-on it is at portraying both the dangers and the positive potential of the internet. Cyber-attacks on critical infrastructure? Even more relevant today than when the movie was made. Same with the children around the world watching the battle unfold in real-time and making a difference with their passion and numbers.

And that's just what the movie's about; in execution it's even better. Hosoda's brilliant touch as a director is apparent in every shot and every bit of character animation, the balance between humor and mounting tension is perfect, and the soundtrack is excellent and used just right. I love it.

Honestly, part of why I'm so glad that Summer Wars exists is because Our War Game is so great that it deserves to exist in a form that's free of all the Digimon baggage. Every time someone complains about how not all of the Chosen Children get to do enough, or how the movie pushes "Taiora" in a way that's out of sync with 02, I die a little inside because that all just misses the forest for the trees. The movie's bigger than its place in the Digimon franchise.

(Speaking of Summer Wars, "well liked and successful" is a bit of an understatement! It won the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year!)

Last edited:

toranks77

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a good movie, but I think it's overvalued. It's not even the best Digimon movie. Digital Monster X-Evolution surpasses it in every way.

n8d0gg187

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ive never heard of the remakes. Is there a legal way to watch online?

Mon-Ohma

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I once read somewhere about this being the best depiction of the Internet in a movie. And I find myself in agreement with that opinion. The overall animation and design of cyberspace is what makes it stick out the most for me, too often I forget what's going on in the foreground.

It's very much a period piece of technology back them. And the only time you'll see a villain being defeated by lagging.

Diaboromon's line itself is made up of interesting otherworldly designs.

Last edited: