20th Anniversary of Digimon Adventure 02 & 14th Anniversary of Digimon Savers!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
More Anniversaries!

It's April 2nd in Japan, so more anniversaries! Digimon Adventure 02 began 20 years ago on April 2nd, 2000.

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

Adventure 02 was the first anime that came after Adventure, and it came in a form that to some degree, is still sort of unique and is still pointed out (and Adventure still goes with to this day.) Not wringing out every story bit from the characters as they are in a never ending roundabout with an eventual change, but telling a tale and jumping forward to a new story.

02 jumped a few years ahead and introduced 3 new leads with unique and interesting Digimon joining Takeru, Patamon, Hikari, and Tailmon. The rest of the leads from Adventure were recurring characters with the time jump having various defined character change for them.

The show was also interesting in that it added a few new types of evolution into the anime, which the franchise has played with various twists to evolution continuing on from here.

From a technical perspective, 02 is also unique in that towards the end, Toei changed the production chain, so while most of 02 uses older composite video, the last few episodes moved over to component, a change that would benefit future Digimon shows.

In recent years 02 has been caught between a rock in a hard place, where sales and interest are still high, but it isn't quite differentiated enough from what came before (since it's still part of Adventure) to get to many things of it's own while Adventure has continued to move forward with the path 02 helped pave. There has still been a number of notable 02 things though: various 02 elements making their way into tri., a few GEM figures (with hints of more), the well liked 15th Anniversary D-3s, and heavy appearances in various franchise 20th Anniversary merchandise a couple years ago (and appearances in various V-Pets and games.) And in the last half year or sowe've begun to see more 02 related stuff with the 02 kids showing up in the new movie.

But April 2nd isn't just 02's day...

It's the 14th Anniversary of Digimon Savers!

Digimon Savers premiered on April 2nd, 2006.

Savers has an odd and unique place in the franchise. It's the first time it came 'back' after the original run of the anime ended. There were various comics, games, products, even X-Evolution, but nothing fully 'ongoing' in a way easy for people to connect to.

Savers both went back to elements that helped defined the franchise (Agumon as a lead, with a bunch of Greymon evolutions), while also going with a new art style, and going with a general mood of feeling more actiony. The primay leads of Masaru, Touma, and Yoshino are still well remember today, and they were later joined by Ikuto, along with a wide range of recurring characters ranging from various members of DATS and Masaru's family.

Savers has been one of the pieces of the franchise that at times has felt the most like it hasn't gotten things as time has gone, but with appearances in various franchise 20th Anniversary products, video games, recent V-Pets, and even a hint at a GEM figure (a hint at an actual Savers GEM figure, not the upcoming V-Tamer one that is being branded as Savers for marketing reasons), that will hopefully change so fans will be able to nab things. And of course, with the Frontier Blu-ray Box out for a year at this point, Savers makes a heavily obvious next choice, so we will see what will happen there...

A bit of a fun time for 02 and Savers fans to share their thoughts on two very different shows.

We did a breakdown of the Digimon Adventure 02 BD-Box a few years ago.

The Digimon Adventure 02 Blu-ray Box is still available to order: (Affiliate link)
Digimon Adventure 02 BD-Box

We also did a breakdown of the Digimon the Movies box a few years ago. This contains both 02 movies and the Savers movie.

The Movies Box got split apart into singles a few years ago, and everything is still available, including the full box: (Affiliate link)
Digimon the Movies Blu-ray Box
Digimon Adventure Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Adventure 02 Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Tamers Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Frontier & Digimon Savers Movies Blu-ray

Attachments

frankiemon827

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
happy 20th for 02!! I personally really enjoyed the series but I'm very sad for 02 kids as they are always under Adventure group's shadows. Would love to see their own series one day....
hmm also 14th anniversary for Savers...really cool series with all the fanservice stuff e.g. Royal Knights and of course digimon's one punch man Daimon Masaru:p

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I liked Savers. It was different enough but still a lot like the first 3 series. It was fun. And hey, 02. ...I like Miyako. Ken's pretty cool once he got over what he did. And Wormmon is adorable. Which is hard for a bug. I will skip the elephantmon in the room though.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I truly feel like 02 never truly grew out from underneath its predecessor's shadow because of the relative lack of character development. If they're going to reboot Adventure I hope they do the same with 02 and do it right this time so that it can actually fully stand on its own as a series.