20th Anniversary Digimon Backlight Mod Tutorial

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
VPet 20th

This mod is consider very tedious and troublesome compared to the 1997 Vpet as the battery voltage isn't stable enough, I added in an external battery.
If anyone tries to add a backlight to the 20th digimon, they will know what I mean.
The backlight will flicker non stop, I was not able to solve it even by using 10000uf capacitor, so the external battery is a workaround.

NOTE IMPORTANT!!!
Please do not put back the battery cover when charging, do not put any magnets near the the digimon battery area

Features
- Rechargable Lithium Ion Battery ~40-50mah
- Continuous Backlight On Screen Time 15-16hrs
- C Button On/Off
- Reed/Magnetic Switch at the back to open circuit when charging the lithium battery
- ~5-10mins for a full charge, green light blinking means full charge

This will make the CR2032 battery last a lot longer as compared to the VPet 1997 which backlight is powered by 2x LR44 battery.

I can't find a charging module which is small enough to fit the digimon, therefore as a workaround I used the reed switch to break open the circuit. There is a small piece of magnet at the battery cover.
The space at the battery cover is limited so I got to trim the connector flat enough to be able to fit when the cover closes.

Tutorial (Physical Switch)

Tools Needed

1) Disassemble the back case (4 Screws), the circuitboard (4 Screws).

2) Use a dremel or some tools to cut away half of the border (Highlighted in red) to make room for the backlight.

3) This is how it looks like after cutting.

4) Separate the glass from the backlight, after that cut the backlight using the reflective background as a guide.
Leave some spacing between the background and the black tape, this is to let the light spread more evenly.

5) Solder wires to the 2 points. Anode = Positive, Cathode = Negative

6) Solder wires to the lithium battery and use heat shrink/black tape to insulate it.

7) Put the backlight and battery back to the digimon. Reflective part facing you.
You can position all 4 wires at the red border area, then screw back the circuit board.

8) Take the female JST 1.25mm Connector and trim it till you see 2 pins, else it won't fit in the battery cover.
Left is untrimmed, right is trimmed.

9) Drill a hole at the circled red area and slot the Trimmed JST 1.25mm Connector in.

Step 10 & 12 is optional if you do not want to use a reed switch, just remember to off the backlight when charging the battery. Step 11 you can just remove the reed switch from the circuit if not using it. For me I am using reed switch incase I forgot to off the backlight when charging.

10) Hot glue the Neodymium Magnet at the circled red area.

11) Now you can solder the circuit together, refer to below picture for the points to solder.
The components usually I put it at the most left area.
For the slider switch(or any switch you are using), you decide where you want to put it as I am not using a physical switch.

12) Hot glue the reed switch at this position

13) Solder the male JST 1.25mm connector to the charging module as the below picture.
You can use a transparent heat shrink to insulate the charging module which I did.

Video

Last edited:

legendzfan

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you need to peel the original backing off the the digivice screen before installing the backlight?

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you need to peel the original backing off the the digivice screen before installing the backlight?
You don't need to peel. It is just a paper, just take it away.

Thebigboss1206

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi, I need to do this but I can't program the C button. I used a switch but I don't like it. So, Do you know if exist a modding service of anybody who can do this complete work professionally?

darkwert

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
how did you do it without physical switch?
would you roughly describe it please

Bionics

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Has this method been perfected/simplified/changed since the original posting?

shanli90

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi, I used a attiny10 chip and used arduino to flash the program to the chip. Logic is like this, the chip will go into sleep mode, when it detects a button press it will auto power on. And if it detects C buttons press holding it for 2 sec, it will on/off the lights. You can read up on how attiny10 works.

Last edited:

Trance146

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
how did you do it without physical switch?would you roughly describe it please
Hi, I used a attiny10 chip and used arduino to flash the program to the chip. Logic is like this, the chip will go into sleep mode, when it detects a button press it will auto power on. And if it detects C buttons press holding it for 2 sec, it will on/off the lights. You can read up on how attiny10 works.
Do you accept requests. I tried to do it myself but just tore through my backlight. Plus i really like the way you do yours. Mine was just a physical switch

DPTronazel

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This might sound off topic but... Is it possible to spray paint a V-Pet for a custom colored one? It's just like those custom color game controllers some people do.

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
it's always possible to custom paint anything you desire. you just need to take it apart and spray the plastic pieces. just make sure you put the innards away from the paint

XDragon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
SHot in the dark on this, but you seem to know the insides of the digivice well. DO you know what kind of screen it uses? Mine cracked and i was hoping to be able to find a replacement

Drac0rex

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dude this is rad! Excellent work!

digivicemon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After few months could you tell us how about battery consumption with the backlight ?? How often you replace it ?? and whether the backlight might affect the pixel ?? Thanks

AhBeng

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
An external battery was added to sustain the backlight.

TheOddRaspu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was looking for little backlits like this for my tamas. I'd probably practice with them before I try with my 20th... haha. Good work, and thanks for sharing!

MikeDaKnight91

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Can you please update this guide or link to a new one as per your new method and include the flashable file you use to make this all work as I'm very keen to replicate your backlight setup.

TokBatin3000

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

would you kindly share the schematic for the c-button wiring with components? highly appreciate it..