20th Anniversary Digimon Adventure Character Designs from V-Jump!, Updated!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, that's that then...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The look we got earlier is definitely real! And now we have all 8 characters!

The new designs are all done by Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, the character designer from the original Digimon Adventure anime.

A few things to notice one by one...

Jou- His hair's blue again!
Mimi- She looks very Mimi!
Koushiro- Looks professional.
Yamato- An interesting casual look.
Taichi- Touched up heavily from early art, including more classic style goggles.
Sora- The kimono brings to mind her story up until now.
Takeru- NEW HAT!
Hikari- An interesting and stylish casual look? And a hat!

There's also a decent chunk of text, which we hope to have a translation for soon.

And hopefully better quality images soon!

Thanks to akatuki for the image.

Feel free to continue conversations from the prior thread here.

Update- Better images thanks to Ayushi who took a small stack of photos of the magazine and sent them over without shrinking them so I could do so minimal cleaning up of the photos she took.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

And on top of the new images, we have translations thanks to garm!

Jou: Did he manage to pass his entrance exams...!? A 23-year-old whose choice of career path is of great interest.
Mimi: A charming 21-year-old dressed in fashionable clothing!
Koushiro: A 21-year-old who looks great in a suit!? Could he be working at a job already?
Yamato: Yamato with his ever calm and collected expression. He seems to have a gentle air to him too!?
Taichi: He still sports his signature hairstyle. His expression accurately reflects his carefree personality!
Sora: 22 years old. Did she decide to devote herself to the art of Ikebana!? Her kimono suits her perfectly!
Takeru: 19 years old and all grown up, he's grown even taller than his older brother Yamato!?
Hikari: While her innocent personality still remains, she seems to have her act together more than her brother Taichi does!

Producer Comment: We requested that Nakatsuru-san design these with more realistic proportions, as opposed to the designs from Adventure and 02. Although we cannot reveal all the details just yet, we wanted these designs to amplify the image of each of the children that we want to project to the audience, which would showcase what each of the children are doing now at their age and what their future goals are.

And so, a new story unfolds!! - Taichi and the other children have all grown up! What kind of adventure will they go on this time?

Digimon Adventure Movie (placeholder title)
Supervisor: Hiromi Seki
Character Designer: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru
Digimon Character Designer: Kenji Watanabe

Big thanks again to Ayushi and garm!

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kari looks basically the same lol

is this is their sizes, then damn TK got massive

and they do all look like older versions of the kids, so I suppose that's good but I dunno, I feel disappointed tbh - the same art style as the first season makes it kinda stale to me. I liked the freshen up Tri had, and would've liked a different art style than the first season, but still they look like how they actually should based on the first season art style. but still, I guess seeing this - I prefer what they used in Tri.

Spongebond

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still not feeling Taichi with shorts, but his new touched up look. Looks great.

Everyone else looks perfect. I'm pretty happy that we have their old hairstyles back. Well variations of it, but still enough to individualize the kids.

Edit: At the bottom right there is a part of the article Digimon Adventure History and one of the arrows points towards 02. Yay acknowledgement.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I definitely like it better than the bland tri artwork, but at the same time I think I actually prefered Yamato and Taichi’s earlier concept artwork for this project. It has that distinctive Digimon feeling though, so I’m onboard.

Hagaren Gao

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My goodness, TK becoming the tallest of the group is amusing, but he's 1000% leg now! Overall everyone looks pretty great, a slight drawback with the artstyle is that half the group doesn't actually look any older but they're still pretty solid overall. I like Joe's design a lot compared to Tri, I guess the blue hair helps!

Though the fact that Izzy has a copypaste of his Adventure head is both amusing and unnerving at the same time.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Everyone looks okay, thank God Taichi looks like Taichi again after that terrible early version.
I would probably have appreciated it more if their looks here were more like a direct follow-up from their Tri designs rather than their first season designs, but I guess they did it to make the people who complained about Tri happy or something. Not a bad thing!
All in all, it is the story I care about. I hope it's more concise and engaging overall this time.
Do we have any information about whether it will be a standalone film or a film series yet?

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
looks amazing!! Although I expected Tai to have cut his hair by now XD

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Daisuke and co: "Are we joke to you?"

Rohan

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not gonna lie, a little bit disappointed that it is just the kids themselves and nothing else of substance. Even the article itself is mostly generic hype without really saying much.

Do we have any information about whether it will be a standalone film or a film series yet?
Not yet. However, given that the article uses "劇場版" it makes me feel that it's more likely to be one big film rather than a series that got a theatrical run like Tri.

elyon89

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My goodness, TK becoming the tallest of the group is amusing
It's established that Hiroaki is kinda gigantic, so I'm expecting something like that for both Takeru and Yamato. Still, if you look closely, it seems that Jyou is confirmed as the tallest one.

Either way all the figures are out of proportions in relation to each other, so it could be too soon to make assumptions on heights.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These are great. I especially love the colours. Everything coloursscheme evokes their Adventure outfit. Mimi's is partly coloured like Palmon's flower. Everything fits the characters well too, even the drastically different ones like Koushiro and Sora and Mimi.

I loved cencoroll but they never should've used another character designer in the first place. At least we have these now.

Takeru growing so talll reminds me of Patamon somehow, lol.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They all look fine. Still not a fan of them not actually looking any older than before and their hairstyle being mostly complete copies of their first designs. But maybe this time there won't be as much of a discrepancy between the style in the promo art and the actual animation.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The designs are... Intriguing. Though regarding their CVs, will they retain their Tri voice actors and actresses?

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm really liking these designs, and honestly I'm more excited for this now that we've seen the rest of the cast. It's nice to see a return to the classic look, but I'm probably in the minority opinion that the Tri. artstyle will be missed - not that I have a preference one way or the other.

Sora's kimono is very cute, and I like the return to Taichi's normal goggle design as opposed to the chunky VR headset thing from the early artwork. But I do wonder if that will show up anyway.

The thing that strikes me most is how all of the outfits call back to the Adventure '99 designs in different ways. Taichi and Yamato are the most obvious, but then we've seen those already. The colours of Sora's kimono are the same as her old hat and tank top. Koushiro's tie brings to mind his orange shirt from Adventure. Hikari's yellow shirt returns, and the pink belt calling back to her old shorts. Jo's light purple and beige. And Takeru's stupid green hat. Nothing about Mimi's outfit reminds me of her classic look, but her old hairstyle has returned and the colour is back to the normal brown as opposed to the pinkish brown hair she had in Tri.

Also; WOW, Takeru had a growth spurt! Now all he needs to complete the 'taller younger brother' look is to borrow a hat from the King of Second Bananas himself :p

ayushi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The line for Takeru literally reads “19 years. And yet he has grown taller than his adult older brother Yamato?”

I love everything about these designs. The nostalgic feel to it is overwhelming.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They look great, like a mixture of their original and tri designs! An improvement for most of them.

Astrothunder

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In all honesty, I think these designs really show the limitations of Adventure's art style. To put it in perspective, Masaru is 14 years old during Savers and still looks older than the adult DigiDestined here.

That being said, it does still look better than Tri's flawed art direction from what little we've seen so far.