With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Kenji Watanabe on the creation of Omegamon Merciful Mode

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Hawk View Post
    Wow since revealed on Merciful Mode's hidden inspirations, there are some negative views on it. No surprising Japan indeed have some savageness in ancient history.

Like how the beautiful nature turned into brutal nature in the reality to slap most people.

But the more I read of this, the more I get confused. I know English lacked a certain word for "kaishakunin" but he clearly said it about Omegamon taking the role to end Meicoomon's because of Japan culture. But even if they admitted it wasn't very merciful yet trying to fit "kaishakunin" to translate into English, so in their japanese viewpoints of "kaishakunin", it's execution but was it really mercy? To me, it felt like it's more of restoring honor because of the purpose of seppuku and other words. But today it's 2018, what are their viewpoints in the current generations at Japan for now?
    In ancient time was probably an act of mercy, because this ended quickly with the agony (and the seppuku was an honorable act).

In the current generation of Japan, "kaishakunin" wouldn't be a act of mercy. That's probably why Kenji Watanabe doesn't think it fits.

In Tri, Omegamon Merciful Mode fits the concept of "kaishakunin", because they want to end the suffering of Meicoomon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    Although part of the purpose is that the audience (and the own condemned) don't see the horrible spectacle. The other part of the purpose of kaishakunin is still avoid the prolonged anguish of the condemned. That's why Merciful was chosen.

However, there's still dissonance, because kaishakunin is a crude act. So, Merciful doesn't really fit (especially from a modern western perspective).
    You're right, the sparing of death throes was for the condemned as well as the audience; my bad.

Still, the idea that MaiCoomon is in any particular aspect guilty still makes no sense.
    "Remember, kids, it's not important if it's of high quality. Only if it makes money." -Mark Hamill

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    What if instead of the reboot, King Drasil ran the X-Program instead? it pretty much achieves a similar thing, the program would run to attempt to kill of Meicoomon and the kid's Digimon, but then it fails to kill Meicoomon and the kids Digimon as well, instead just killing off 90% of all the other Digimon, not killing the targets like he had planned. That's when the X-Program becomes relevant, and allows Omnimon -> X. Then we use one that already exists, and dont have to have a new one made.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    What if instead of the reboot, King Drasil ran the X-Program instead? it pretty much achieves a similar thing, the program would run to attempt to kill of Meicoomon and the kid's Digimon, but then it fails to kill Meicoomon and the kids Digimon as well, instead just killing off 90% of all the other Digimon, not killing the targets like he had planned. That's when the X-Program becomes relevant, and allows Omnimon -> X. Then we use one that already exists, and dont have to have a new one made.
    eh, that's pretty messed up if it happens. Also X-Program don't exist in Adventure Universe, there's no coherent reason why they should bring the X Program into the series rather than merely blind fanservice.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456