With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kenji Watanabe on the creation of Omegamon Merciful Mode

I come from the net
    I hope next news will let us know more about Ordinemon in her design like this Merciful Mode's. Surely she gave off Evangelion vibes but I felt like there might be more meanings behind her design for Kenji's inspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimera-gui View Post
    Susanoomon also technically counts as an Omegamon species since it's a fusion of EmperorGreymon and MagnaGarurumon.
    The way I read it, Alter-S's profile makes it clear that an Omegamon is only formed from WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. EmperorGreymon and MagnaGarurumon are technically their own complete species and create a new species, while BlitzGreymon and CresGarurumon are subspecies, thus still making an Omegamon. The fun part about that is that it still means VictoryGreymon and Z'dGarurumon can still potentially make a new Omegamon under that rule.

To keep on topic, I love that he says they basically wrote themselves into making another Omegamon form, when so many people assumed that was what would happen from the start. The scarf thing is cool, but as he points out, it really didn't get shown that way in the movie. If he doesn't wanna make more, hopefully he doesn't have to, lol. I'd still like to see a clash of all the Omegamons though.

I'm a Maniac
    Ironically, this is the most significant Omegamon variant in terms of design in my opinion.
    I see some validity in yet another Royal Knight getting an angel-flavored upgrade, like Imperialdramon and Dukemon also had.

The rest of the Omegamon variants, I hate with a passion.
    I especially hate that CresGarurumon and BlitzGreymon are wasted on a recolored Omegamon when they could have a fusion that is an entirely separate species/design, just like Susanoomon, Chaosmon, RagnaLordmon or Rafflesimon. Or that Z'd Garurumon and Victory Greymon still don't have a fusion of their own after all these years.
    The mummy Omegamon is the worst joke of them all though, by far.

As for Mercy Mode's place in Tri, I don't see how he was essential for the ending like they seem to imply (unless I'm wrong here in the way I interpret the interview responses).
    For example, they could have had Raguelmon or Ordinemon be the final solo evolution of Meicoomon, and when Taichi disappeared it could've triggered the dark evolution of Tailmon, and finish with a spectacular battle between Raguelmon or Ordinemon and Ophanimon FM while Taichi was missing, only for him to be found among the wreckage after the battle was over. Just one of billion alternatives.
    Last edited by Grimmon; 11-09-2018 at 01:31 PM.

I don't know..... to me they really should've gone with megas battling it out with Ordinemon and defeating her in a way where everyone gives their mega partner boost of energy so they each can slash at her and it would be far cooler due to seeing them first time in action as mega group

Quote Originally Posted by Garmmon View Post
    Just to clarify, this is only half of the Merciful Mode section, sorry;; but I did feel this was the most interesting part of the interview since it was something new! So I especially wanted to share this part. It's always cool to see the inspiration behind and concepts that go into a Digimon design.
    Thank you. I hated Mercy Mode at first but I appreciate him a lot more with official artwork and information like this. I love Ishinomori's designs and oldschool tokusatsu designs. I can definitely see the scarf now. I wonder if his coloursceme was a s based on Rinkmon, a Jet Rink (Cyborg 009) Digimon. Either way it's a neat coincidence. I hope they do him justice when he's added to future videogames with a nice model. It's really not a bad design or idea.
    Last edited by flintlock; 11-09-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmon View Post
    As for Mercy Mode's place in Tri, I don't see how he was essential for the ending like they seem to imply (unless I'm wrong here in the way I interpret the interview responses).
    For example, they could have had Raguelmon or Ordinemon be the final solo evolution of Meicoomon, and when Taichi disappeared it could've triggered the dark evolution of Tailmon, and finish with a spectacular battle between Raguelmon or Ordinemon and Ophanimon FM while Taichi was missing, only for him to be found among the wreckage after the battle was over. Just one of billion alternatives.
    Well, digidestined need the power of a new version of Omegamon to defeat Ordinemon. All megas together can't defeat Ordinemon.

I don't see how your alternative will resolve the situation. It's impossible for the digidestined to defeat Ordinemon (or even Raguelmon) without Omegamon, so they need Taichi.

I'm a Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmn View Post
    I don't know..... to me they really should've gone with megas battling it out with Ordinemon and defeating her in a way where everyone gives their mega partner boost of energy so they each can slash at her and it would be far cooler due to seeing them first time in action as mega group
    Another great way to resolve the situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    Well, digidestined need the power of a new version of Omegamon to defeat Ordinemon. All megas together can't defeat Ordinemon.

I don't see how your alternative will resolve the situation. It's impossible for the digidestined to defeat Ordinemon (or even Raguelmon) without Omegamon, so they need Taichi.
    The writers decided all these things that made the introduction of Mercy Mode necessary.
    It was entirely in their control to change any or all of that, that's what I meant.
    Last edited by Grimmon; 11-09-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgmn View Post
    Another great way to resolve the situation!
    That would have been cool, but the reason I think they went with Omnimon over an all out brawl, is that if they wanted to emphasize it being a mercy killing, one designated Digimon finishing her off in 3 swift blows looks kinder than 7 ganging up on her.

Though seeing them all reluctantly having to restrain her, or prevent her from escaping while Omnimon resolutely deals the finishing blow could have been effective too.
    Last edited by McGann; 11-09-2018 at 06:41 AM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Again, they had the chance to use Omegamon X instead of making MM thanks to Alphamon being in tri and have the others reluctantly restrain/prevent her from escaping like McGann suggested and that would have accomplished the same thing without MM.

That said, Zwart Defeat is still the only variant that had no reason to exist at all. Merciful Mode may be superfluous but at least there is a precedent for angelic modes of Royal Knights.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmmon View Post
    Just to clarify, this is only half of the Merciful Mode section, sorry;; but I did feel this was the most interesting part of the interview since it was something new! So I especially wanted to share this part. It's always cool to see the inspiration behind and concepts that go into a Digimon design.
    Thank you. I hated Mercy Mode at first but I appreciate him a lot more with official artwork and information like this. I love Ishinomori's designs and oldschool tokusatsu designs. I can definitely see the scarf now. I wonder if his coloursceme was a s based on Rinkmon, a Jet Rink (Cyborg 009) Digimon. Either way it's a neat coincidence. I hope they do him justice when he's added to future videogames with a nice model. It's really not a bad design or idea.

This model exists for Links, and unless they ditch every model for the next Story/World game, which I don't think they will - I'd assume this is what they'd use if they decide to use angel scarf boii

Though with these new details it might be good to re-touch up the design a bit

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast