With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kenji Watanabe on the creation of Omegamon Merciful Mode

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by BlankShell View Post
    I can actually appreciate the design a little bit more now that I see what he was going for with the wings. I didn't quite get that impression from the show, but the "scarf" comes through in his design.

I'm not particularly mad about yet another Omnimon variant. If nothing else, Omnimon isn't really that overused in the show? He appeared in Diaboromon Strikes Back, Tri parts 1, 5, and 6. Obviously in between those movie series the character became hugely popular (and all the alternate forms were developed) but I think a relatively "straightforward" evolution made a lot of narrative sense given Tri's overall stripped down nature.
    Also one of the Tamers movies, Data Squad, X-Evo and Fusion and Diaboromon returns- unless we're talking Tai/Matt's in particular? since it's introduction, the only series it hasn't show up in is Frontier

Most video games have an Omnimon as a main character too

I think the only problem is the recency bias though, and most of that is next order's fault for going over kill with omnimons, just like they did with recolours.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Technically Alter-B would've existed without NO since it's a variant of Alter-S, Zwart Defeat could've been cut completely with Alter-B used in its place and nothing of value would be lost. Susanoomon also technically counts as an Omegamon species since it's a fusion of EmperorGreymon and MagnaGarurumon.

And to be fair, Guardromon Gold is technically the only new recolor in NO beyond ZD and the Alters as the others like Kyubimon/Taomon Silver and Growl/WarGrowlmon Orange existed in older media so I'm not as bothered by it as I am by ZD.
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 11-08-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Stuff
    That entire post was nonsense and had little to do with the actual subject and is just a wall of unnecessary text.

tri. materials have shown Merciful Mode as a form up for Omegamon. It's shown nothing about fusing or combing.

It doesn't mean it wasn't, but there is nothing visual, or said, that actually tells us it's a combination of everyone, and not simply Omegamon plus a bunch of extra power being given to him.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlankShell View Post
    I can actually appreciate the design a little bit more now that I see what he was going for with the wings. I didn't quite get that impression from the show, but the "scarf" comes through in his design.

I'm not particularly mad about yet another Omnimon variant. If nothing else, Omnimon isn't really that overused in the show? He appeared in Diaboromon Strikes Back, Tri parts 1, 5, and 6. Obviously in between those movie series the character became hugely popular (and all the alternate forms were developed) but I think a relatively "straightforward" evolution made a lot of narrative sense given Tri's overall stripped down nature.
    Also one of the Tamers movies, Data Squad, X-Evo and Fusion and Diaboromon returns- unless we're talking Tai/Matt's in particular? since it's introduction, the only series it hasn't show up in is Frontier

Most video games have an Omnimon as a main character too

I think the only problem is the recency bias though, and most of that is next order's fault for going over kill with omnimons, just like they did with recolours.
    Right, specifically Adventure's Omnimon; I didn't include the 02 movie since Omnimon gets his ass kicked =P

Obviously Omnimon has shown up plenty since then, but as you say, a lot of it is front-loaded from what we've experienced; Cyber Sleuth and NO, Alter-S etc. are all super recent, but they're also prominent examples where he's played more of a role than some of the other media, like Fusion or Data Squad.

I feel like this is just symptomatic of the Adventure pandering that been a problem in recent years. Had stuff like the Legendary Warriors, X-Antibodies, and Fusion-verse Digimon been more prominent outside of the series that centered around them, this might not be as glaring as it is.

Like Transformers is not immune to nostalgia pandering but it's also been better about integrating concepts from series outside of Generation one like Beast Wars/Machines and the Unicron Trilogy into subsequent media which is something Digimon has always struggled with. Like behind-the-scenes stuff like Biomerging being the basis of the Hybrid level shows that it wasn't as bad as previously assumed but it could still be better.
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 11-08-2018 at 11:29 PM.

There is no 'pandering'. They're including characters that are popular and have a larger potential to sell.

Acting like it's 'just' Adventure stuff being used in media (since you bring up Transformers as an example) when we see non-Adventure stuff show up quite a bit...
    Alphamon is a popular X-Antibody character, so he shows up plenty.
    Ditto for Dukemon and Beelzebumon, etc.

Every character poll, etc. says people want more Omegamon, so they're gonna keep giving it to the audience.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    There is no 'pandering'. They're including characters that are popular and have a larger potential to sell.

Acting like it's 'just' Adventure stuff being used in media (since you bring up Transformers as an example) when we see non-Adventure stuff show up quite a bit...

Every character poll, etc. says people want more Omegamon, so they're gonna keep giving it to the audience.
    yeah, they only go for what "people" want. It's the best way to keep the franchise alive. Until it gets oversaturrated

Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post
    yeah, they only go for what "people" want. It's the best way to keep the franchise alive. Until it gets oversaturrated
    I mean, that's sort of the point.

But then, tri. and it's advertising for Adventure products has lasted longer than anything has in the franchise, and done well enough that before it was even done coming out they started work on the next thing.

All the talk of oversaturation is basically based on 6 OVAs in 2.5 years, along with a reasonable amount of tie in products.

The only reason it seems like a ludicrous amount is until tri. the brand hadn't been strong enough in a very long time to support that much stuff.

Of course, the discussion has veered quite off topic, which is specifically tri. and Merciful Mode, and the characters' creation.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post

And I understand that but the issue is when you feature just characters that are popular, it does gets over-saturated. That's why the Digimon Monster X v-pets are a breath of fresh cause it's not just the popular characters.

Like Animated didn't just have popular G1 names like Bumblebee and Starscream; they had the likes of Bulkhead, Botanicia, Hot Shot, Spittor, Strika, Sky-Byte, Antagony, Barricade, Rattletrap, Strongarm, Sureshock among countless others and even gave us new characters like Slipstream.

And that's not even going into the integration of concepts like the Spark (BW), Protoforms (BW), techno-organic beings (BM), and Mini-Cons (UT) into subsequent media.
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 11-08-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Removed a post.

As I said, the discussion has gone wildly off topic at this point. It doesn't matter that it was someone agreeing with me, the discussion needs to move back to something that at least appears to be on topic.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast