With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenji Watanabe on the creation of Omegamon Merciful Mode

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    It's not Merciful at all. If you really want to end Meicoomon's suffering, you can do it in a very less violent way. That's mercy to me, not the opposite.
    Please read the Wikipedia page that was linked to before saying anything. This was not about the least violent way to kill her but rather the way that spares all involved the spectacle of her writhing death throes and spares her prolonged suffering before death.

I do think Omegamon X would have been better since both Agumon and Gabumon have full Child - Ultimate lines that have X-Antibody versions which would have made for good symbolism of how tri changed everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    though how would they get the antibody
    Alphamon is already a natural carrier of the X-Antibody, the writers could have had him do a heel-face turn and download it into Omegamon as a show of respect and give him the power to perform the mercy kill.
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 11-09-2018 at 05:18 PM.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Follow Garmmon On Twitter Add Garmmon on DeviantArt
    Just to clarify, this is only half of the Merciful Mode section, sorry;; but I did feel this was the most interesting part of the interview since it was something new! So I especially wanted to share this part. It's always cool to see the inspiration behind and concepts that go into a Digimon design.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimera-gui View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    It's not Merciful at all. If you really want to end Meicoomon's suffering, you can do it in a very less violent way. That's mercy to me, not the opposite.
    Please read the Wikipedia page that was linked to before saying anything. This was not about the least violent way to kill her but rather the way that spares all involved the spectacle of her's writhing death throes and spares her of prolonged suffering before death.

I do think Omegamon X would have been better since Agumon and Gabumon both have full Child - Ultimate lines that have X-Antibody versions which would have made for good symbolism of how tri changed everyone.
    though how would they get the antibody
    Alphamon is already a natural carrier of the X-Antibody, the writers could have had him do a heel-face turn and download it into Omegamon as a show of respect and give him the power to perform the mercy kill.
    Fair enough. It'd be a nice homage to the X Evolution movie as well.

Though I really like the fact all 8 merged to form him

You keep saying that, despite a number of people pointing it out to you in the past that it's unclear what actually happens in tri., and any material Toei and Bandai have show it as a straight mode change for 'just' Omegamon and not a combination.

At the moment there isn't really solid enough information to say what's considered official for what actually happens onscreen.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by YongYoKyo View Post
    Alter-B isn't really a natural/conventional evolution to Zwart D though. In its original context of Next Order, it's an alteration of the program that evolves any Digimon into Machinedramon. Rather than a natural progression to Zwart D's line, Alter-B is a different Digimon that Zwart D could change/alter into, instead of Machinedramon, that just happens to be another Omegamon variant.
    It felt so natural for Zwart D evolve into Alter B because Zwart D looked all worn out in harsh battle then Alter B look like it's it's upgraded Zwart to extreme in improvements before Alter S appeared. I guess it's just me...

Back to Merciful Mode topic, I didn't know this mode actually have so much meanings and behind reasons to design from inspirations towards his love of certain heroes. I thought it's weak design of X Antibody to show off. But cool yet Omegamon Merciful Mode have similar appearance as 00 Qau[T] gundam... They have extremely tiny short time appearances and barely showing any battle capabilities... So unfair!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    You keep saying that, despite a number of people pointing it out to you in the past that it's unclear what actually happens in tri., and any material Toei and Bandai have show it as a straight mode change for 'just' Omegamon and not a combination.

At the moment there isn't really solid enough information to say what's considered official for what actually happens onscreen.
    I mean, the DRB doesn't make any mention of Susanoomon being a fusion of all the spirits, Alter-B doesn't mention being a dark digivolution of Zwart D and those were the original evolution of them. Digimon Fusion constantly showed Digimon sucking up their mates and then "mode changing" and it can be argued the other Digimon turned into it too, for example, MadLeomon sucks up a bunch of Apemon and becomes "MadLeomon Final Mode" and you could argue that Apemon also turned into "MadLeomon Final Mode" as well since they were involved. Kinda like how when ExVeemon absorbs Stingmon to become Paildramon. When Fighter Mode became Paladin, Agumon and Gabumon were specifically shown being discarded, whilst Merciful Mode had the other 6 Megas sucked up like in Fusion, and we don't see anyone get discarded, and only see them again in their baby forms when they all run up to the Digidestined. In addition, all the digivices were glowing and were shown the entire time, and whilst Merciful Mode was fighting it zoomed in on all the DD's faces

Also, Shoutmon X7F sucks up literally everything in existence and is still counted as a "mode change". All the DRB says for that is "The "Awaking Mode" that Shoutmon X7 powers up into by turning several desires for peace into strength". So in that case, I guess Shoutmon X7F isn't a fusion of anything either, cuz Bandai said "lol nah fam, it exists when Shoutmon X7 turns desire into strength".

Omnimon MM in Tri seems exactly the same as a Digifuse.

Omnimon sucked up his mates the exact same way as Digimon Fusion, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have been possible with Omnimon X. All I was saying. Does it have to be those 6 Megas in particular? of course not, but I enjoyed the way it happened. Could Omnimon have reached this form without combining with his 6 friends? the Omnimons in Links can, sure - but the one in the anime couldn't/didn't.

It's like how the DRB says about how Beelzemon Blast Mode is a Beelzemon who became chill, but we've also seen that you can just fuse a Beelzemon with a BanchoLeomon, VenomMyotismon, Dibaoromon or BeelStarmon. DNA/Fusion is absorbing another Digimon to power/level up, and that's clearly what happened, and Omnimon wouldn't have been able to do so without his six friends (or could he? Tri Omni doesn't seem to). It's a DNA/Fusion based on how the franchise states what a DNA/Fusion is.

In Hacker's Memory, you can have your Ouryumon absorb an Alphamon to become Alphamon Ouryuken. Just because one media says something happens a certain way, doesn't mean every other media has to follow it.
    Last edited by Muur; 11-08-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Completely digital
    as I said, Merciful Mode sucks, it's just a forced attempt to create "yet another Omegamon Variant". This is as poor decision as Next 0rder's decision to make "a dark omegamon with virus" as the last boss.

Even Kenji-san was against that idea, I bet that some representative forced him to do so in the end. (yeah mainly TOEI), also using Omegamon X would feel very out of place in Tri and won't make sense at all (just for mere fanservice but no correlation to the plot).

Enough for another shitty Omegamon variant.

Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post
    as I said, Merciful Mode sucks, it's just a forced attempt to create "yet another Omegamon Variant". This is as poor decision as Next 0rder's decision to make "a dark omegamon with virus" as the last boss.

Even Kenji-san was against that idea, I bet that some representative forced him to do so in the end. (yeah mainly TOEI), also using Omegamon X would feel very out of place in Tri and won't make sense at all (just for mere fanservice but no correlation to the plot).

The hilarious thing about Next Order is the fact they created three Omnimon variants. I suppose Alter-S doesn't really count, but the first time S was mentioned was in ALter-B's NO in game profile

If Next Order didn't exist, we mightve only had-

Omnimon
    Zwart
    X
    Merciful Mode

and arguably Alter S
    Last edited by Muur; 11-08-2018 at 10:35 PM.

I can actually appreciate the design a little bit more now that I see what he was going for with the wings. I didn't quite get that impression from the show, but the "scarf" comes through in his design.

I'm not particularly mad about yet another Omnimon variant. If nothing else, Omnimon isn't really that overused in the show? He appeared in Diaboromon Strikes Back, Tri parts 1, 5, and 6. Obviously in between those movie series the character became hugely popular (and all the alternate forms were developed) but I think a relatively "straightforward" evolution made a lot of narrative sense given Tri's overall stripped down nature.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post

The hilarious thing about Next Order is the fact they created three Omnimon variants. I suppose Alter-S doesn't really count, but the first time S was mentioned was in ALter-B's NO in game profile

If Next Order didn't exist, we mightve only had-

Omnimon
    Zwart
    X
    Merciful Mode

and arguably Alter S
    back then we only had Omegamon, its X variant, and Chaosmon if you would take it as a counterpart relation to Omegamon.

Now Omegamon is like Eevee

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast