With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Honorifics

Honorifics

Ok so I have seen honorifics for the other seasons but not for this one so I decided to start one.

Haru-
    Rei: Rei-kun
    Eri: Eri-san
    Astra: Astra-kun
    Yuujin: None
    Hajime: Hajime-kun
    Ai: Ai-chan

Rei - I don't think he uses honorifics for anyone. Actually, does he even say anyone else's name but Haru and Hajime?

Eri - She calls Ai 'Ai-chan' and Dokamon 'Doka-chan'. I think she also calls Hajime with 'kun'

I cannot recall any of the others which is weird. But what do these honorifics mean? Do they define how close they are as friends?

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_honorifics quick Google Search confirms what they mean.

That also contradicts what we see in canon. Haru calls Rei 'Rei-kun' but Rei is older than him which was why I was confused because if it's what seniors use to address juniors then Haru calling Astra with that honorific makes sense but not Rei.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Motomiya View Post
    That also contradicts what we see in canon. Haru calls Rei 'Rei-kun' but Rei is older than him which was why I was confused because if it's what seniors use to address juniors then Haru calling Astra with that honorific makes sense but not Rei.
    'Kun' does not exclusively mean 'what seniors use to address juniors'. It's much more flexible than that.

It's also used among male friends, or towards males in general, or sometimes even towards females. In Adventure for example, we often hear Jo refer to Mimi as 'Mimi-kun'.

I come from the net
    It might be right that since Yuujin has none, maybe that means him and Haru really are that close. Like we all joked before.

Also, Yuujin asked for him to be called that way too and if he called Haru 'Haru' in return. But none of them seem to call Yuujin with a honorific except Ai who calls him Yuujin-kun.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Motomiya View Post
    Also, Yuujin asked for him to be called that way too and if he called Haru 'Haru' in return. But none of them seem to call Yuujin with a honorific except Ai who calls him Yuujin-kun.
    Interesting. From what I understand, honorifics tend to be dropped for lovers, where they call them just their names (if Persona is right anyway, might not be)

Addressing someone without a honorific is simply a way of being very informal. What that implies depends entirely on context but it's generally not as big of a deal as some posts seem to imply.
    Close friends tend to drop honorfics (lovers, of course too) but so do people who are simply not very polite (Another case in which no honorifics are expected are younger siblings). Characters like Masaru and Taichi don't really use honorifics for anyone in their age group or below because... they just don't care. So in their case the lack of honorifics doesn't really signal anything. Some people on the other hand are super formal and keep more respectful honorifics even among close friends; Koushiro is a prime example here as he still always calls Taichi "Taichi-san" and even addresses Hikari as "Hikari-san" when no one else does.

Rei not using honorifics for anyone else for example fits his aloof character as well as him being older than the others.
    Last edited by Theigno; 11-08-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Follow Garmmon On Twitter Add Garmmon on DeviantArt
    I don't have too much to add, but one thing that's definitely good to keep in mind is that language use in anime/games is fairly different from language use irl. As Theigno mentioned dropping honorifics in anime makes a character seem less uptight about politeness, and it may come off as a bit rude but it's not some huge sin for anime characters to drop honorifics. But irl where politeness is expected (especially in a society such as Japan) dropping honorifics where you're expected to use them will definitely have a more adverse effect.

Something similar is the use of 2nd person pronouns like 'you' in anime (like 'anata'/'anta'/'kimi'/'omae'); we hear it all the time in anime and not bat an eye, but it's considered rude to address someone by 2nd person pronoun instead of name in irl Japanese, even acquaintances, unless you're close. Even if you don't know the other party's name you'd either try to avoid using a 2nd person pronoun or even ask their name so you can address them by name instead.