With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: How would you have changed the tri movies

  1. #21
    I'm going digital Hagaren Gao's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    408
    Playing under the rules that I couldn't drastically change the series and the general outline would need to be the same...

    1. Just write out the 02 kids. Say they're visiting Willis, they're all studying abroad. There are several ways to have them not show up even if it's dumb that wouldn't have you wondering why nobody is worried they are missing.

    2. Streamline/cut down on Meiko's arc specifically in Coexistance. I was fully on board with her character, especially in Loss where she starts to develop more, but Coexistance she really spins her wheels and the movie stops several times so everyone can have the same conversation reassuring her, only for her to suddenly decide a mercy kill is the only option. Having her become determined to save Meicoomon but slowly realize that defeating her is the only way would have been much more interesting.

    3. Use some of the nostalgia for actual emotional impact - What did Joe and Mimi feel seeing Leomon die again? Instead of having TK being scared of losing Patamon, how does he feel about possibly losing him a second time? What if TK and Angemon were able to beat the Devimon clone without any casualties and come out stronger for it? Tri had several callbacks to Adventure that were just callbacks, there's so much room to make those moments so interesting.

    4. Have the battles in Future be mostly at least Ultimate level Digimon if not straight to Megas. This was the first movie where all eight Digimon and their partners were at full strength and I was excited to see their first battle together as Megas, but they got tossed to the side and we instead got battles with Champion levels who we've seen from the beginning.

    5. On a mild note, as much as I like Johnny Yong Bosch as TK, he would have fit Matt much better than Vic did, I would have switched the two roles.

    ...And for the love of God let digivolution to MetalGarurumon happen at least once by himself somewhere in the six movies.

  2. #22
    I come from the net
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagaren Gao View Post
    Playing under the rules that I couldn't drastically change the series and the general outline would need to be the same...

    1. Just write out the 02 kids. Say they're visiting Willis, they're all studying abroad. There are several ways to have them not show up even if it's dumb that wouldn't have you wondering why nobody is worried they are missing.
    Or, the main cast could so easily have just been worried about the 02 kids. That's the #1 thing I'd change. Each movie, spend a couple of minutes trying another way to contact them, get gradually more worried, and later on start to suspect having been lied to. Some "did we just kill Imperialdramon?" would be good too!

  3. #23
    I'm going digital McGann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    517
    Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagaren Gao View Post
    Playing under the rules that I couldn't drastically change the series and the general outline would need to be the same...

    1. Just write out the 02 kids. Say they're visiting Willis, they're all studying abroad. There are several ways to have them not show up even if it's dumb that wouldn't have you wondering why nobody is worried they are missing.
    Or, the main cast could so easily have just been worried about the 02 kids. That's the #1 thing I'd change. Each movie, spend a couple of minutes trying another way to contact them, get gradually more worried, and later on start to suspect having been lied to. Some "did we just kill Imperialdramon?" would be good too!
    I've been thinking about this, and in Part 1, when Tai is talking to Izzy about inviting people to his football game, there could be a line about iviting Davis or Yolei, and he could just casually say he hasn't seen them around lately. Then when they go to see Daigo, he can mention they have the 02 team investigating the Digital World, and they need the OGs to stay in the real world as a line of defense.

    I dunno if I'd keep Imperialdramon. It conflicts too much with the fact that they're so reluctant to fight Meicoomon. So even if you did add them fretting over defending themselves (which would clutter the main conflict of Joe stepping up), it takes away from later themes. I think you'd just have to change the Digimon, but you could still keep the Emperor disguise (and make it actually Ken's body).

    Then obviously add a bit more frustration, concern, and urgency towards the fact that they saw Ken. Maybe even some more contempt towards Daigo and Maki. It would also complement the main story. They're so concerned over saving their friends, they don't notice anything is wrong with the Digimon and TK.

    The only bit that's really tricky to fix is the part at the end of Part 3 where they grow depressed and disaffected. That makes sense if the only thing at stake was their relationship with their Digimon; they're temporarily resigned to letting go of that part of their lives. (I think that's why Tri sometimes felt off, as it chose to avoid focusing on a sense of urgency, so they could retain a slice of life tone.)

    But giving up on finding their friends is kinda crappy. By best fix would be if the adults say their agents will deal with it, and the kids are no use now that their Digimon partner links are severed, and they feel completely like they've been cut adrift. Then when they finally decide to leap into the DW again, you can have a cool moment where Daigo goes above his superior's heads to do right by the kids.

    After that, they can maybe mention during Part 4 or 5, that they should look for the others, but they really don't know where to start. The rest works from there, since they're pre-occupied with the immediate danger of the Digital World, MM, Dark Masters and Ordinemon.
    Last edited by McGann; 11-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

  4. #24
    I come from the net
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,794
    Quote Originally Posted by McGann View Post
    I dunno if I'd keep Imperialdramon. It conflicts too much with the fact that they're so reluctant to fight Meicoomon. So even if you did add them fretting over defending themselves (which would clutter the main conflict of Joe stepping up), it takes away from later themes. I think you'd just have to change the Digimon
    Right, better to swap out Imperialdramon (because the "defending themselves reluctantly against a partner gone bad" thing is Meicoomon's theme and there's no need to cheapen it here), and make them be worried about meeting someone who looked like Ken.

  5. #25
    Junior Commander Jaybird C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by McGann View Post
    I dunno if I'd keep Imperialdramon. It conflicts too much with the fact that they're so reluctant to fight Meicoomon. So even if you did add them fretting over defending themselves (which would clutter the main conflict of Joe stepping up), it takes away from later themes. I think you'd just have to change the Digimon, but you could still keep the Emperor disguise (and make it actually Ken's body).
    A few months ago, when everyone was still processing the finale and we were all mislead by Omegamon Merciful Mode apparently trying to make "mercy killing" the point of the series (that Watanabe interview is astonishingly relevant), I had the idea that Imperialdramon could work, and quite well, in the context of madness and execution. Not the way it was implemented, but within a progression. Given that one of the main plot elements is effectively MaiCoomon's Digimon-rabies, the Chosen, who with all their Megas effectively serve as one of the Powers That Be, could easily be forced into the position of executioner, and the conflict could be throwing newer and more significant victims their way. The progression I had in mind was Mugendramon and Seadramon, then Imperialdramon (throw Ogremon in either before or after), and finally MaiCoomon, which would graduate the drama from slaying former enemies to slaying former friends to slaying current friends.

    Going into more detail would require an "Alternative tri. Plots" thread in the fanfic section, probably.
    "Remember, kids, it's not important if it's of high quality. Only if it makes money." -Mark Hamill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •