With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Survive Details from Extended Famitsu Interview with producers Habu & Tsuzuki

More Survive Details from Extended Famitsu Interview with producers Habu & Tsuzuki

We've been waiting a few weeks for this...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

When Weekly Famitsu had their interview with Digimon Survive producers Kazumasa Habu and Katsuaki Tsuzuki, they announced it was an abridged version of the interview for publishing purposes, and that the full interview would be posted later.

They've finally posted the full thing and thanks to onkei we have a translation of relevant details and information.

The quoteboxes contain onkei's translation of relevant details along with any commentary she chose to add (sometimes tweaked slightly for forum/archival posting), anything directly after outside of the quotebox is from me.

The "Digimon Survive" target audience is those aged 25-30 and while it's meant to be easy play for anyone interested, the producer is hoping it will bring back old fans of the Digimon anime who had drifted away over the years
    Interestingly it appears they are aiming directly at the grown up Adventure audience. The plot and details they've revealed suggested as such, but to have them laser focus the age, and bring up wanting to tempt back lapsed anime fans is the most clear message they've given yet.

There are conditions you can meet in order to make wild Digimon your allies, and they encourage you to play the game more than once to unlock evolution stages. Also the game is meant to have "better depictions" of scenes that one could never get away with in anime.

The way the producers phrase that last part make me think they mean similar depictions as the ones you'd read in the adventure novels, aka SkullGreymon meatballs. It would also make sense seeing how Habu once said before how he's gotten Kakudou's input for the game...
    This is the first solid confirmation we've gotten that you can have 'more' than just the partner Digimon on your site in battles. The comments regarding thinking of how certain scenes will be shown cinematicly is interesting.

Tsuzuki says the choices you make in the game accumulate until you reach the middle of the game, where you break off into 3 possible endings (and another ending, he says hopefully, they're still thinking about it.)
    We found out about the 3 ending plan (plus 1 more if they can) a bit ago, detailing here helps give details about how it'll work. The first chunk of the game will play roughly the same for everyone, while later on it splits. It'll be interesting to see how significant the split is prior to endgame moments.

Habu says the setting of this game barely has anything digital in it, and it would be more like the wild nature of an isolated island. Therefore the 100 Digimon 'plus' available in the game will be limited to those who fit that setting.
    Another element that has been brought up before. I'm not sure it being digital or not is a huge deal to be honest. A number of arms of the franchise were connected to the 'digital' theme more as a matter of fact than actual usage. It's interesting how clear they've been spelling this out though.

The game system itself is pretty orthodox: "light playing" for the adventure part and "simple, traditional simulation RPG" for the battle part.

This suggests to me that they have quite a lot of confidence in the story holding everything up..
    I'll be honest, the hints that the story content is deep is great, but the suggestions of the gameplay being very light and simple concerns me (it's been a primary concern since the game was announced in fact.)

Energy is used up by your Digimon in both evolving and using attacks. This energy can be revived based on your conversations with/backup from your friends. Habu says that the key to the game would be managing your energy while staying in your evolved state to beat the enemy.
    No new details here, but reiterating things we've heard before without new details does give us further ideas how it'll likely work.

Your Digimon are also forced into evolution to match the scenario, based on the choices you've made thus far. Battles depend on what "type" each side fighting is, so you can either be at an advantage or disadvantage in this way.
    This sounds like standard strategy RPG fare, minus a bit of a twist in the idea that since your Digimon evolve up and down, and you can't strictly control who your Digimon become, your battle strategy likely becomes even more important.

Habu says that it's possible to evolve to one Digimon, de-evolve, and then evolve to another, based on the accumulation of choices you'd made previous to the event. However, you don't unlock all evolutions with one play; playing the game more than once is an evolution condition.
    I actually like the idea that your evolution choices may actually change midmatch. It's an interesting idea. The mention of having to replay more than once makes me wonder if it's purely based on the path you choose, or if there may be interesting post/new game content.

What new Digimon will appear in the game, or what new evolutions will be seen, is still a secret...
    A basic, but good, tease....

Habu hopes that, with games, it will draw in both new and old fans, light gamers and hardcore. He also says that he wants to create an online game next, although that would be something way in the future.
    Honestly, I'm not sure anything is being said here. It's basically just saying he wants everyone to play, and musing on what type of game he wants to make next (he's mused on this before.)

Tsuzuki says he's from the same age group as the target audience, so he hopes to make it a game that's both easy to play, while fully making use of the adventure/simulation genre that he also loves.

Habu says in closing that, he admits, his tastes have turned rather maniac over the years (meaning he wants to make things just for his own tastes), so he hopes that Tsuzuki will propose his own ideas on what he thinks Digimon fans will want, instead of following his footsteps.

Habu thinks it would be good to make a game that would be all-inclusive, rather than one that's made only for a specific type of Digimon fan, and having Tsuzuki involved will help to expand possibilities while also bringing something new to the older fans.
    We've begun to get a taste for what type of producer Tsuzuki is the last few weeks, while Habu actually points out that his own thoughts have become, not stodgy, but rather stuck in what he wants without necessarily thinking of new or different ideas.

Bringing in another producer is an interesting method to combat this, and hopefully it works out. It also suggests the intention isn't to have Tsuzuki only stick around for Survive.

Also, one final detail from the interview, which Habu has suggested and teased without 'technically' solidly confirming previously, the new Digimon Story game is being made with the Playstation 4 as it's lead console (of course, even without the confirmation, it became more than obvious in recent days with the formal announcement that the Vita was ending production.)

Not necessarily a ton of new information, but a lot of clarifications and detailing previous information.

Digimon Survive is currently scheduled for a worldwide release in 2019.

Thanks again to onkei for the translation!
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I'm glad you can get wild Digimon in your team! should make things more interesting. I also hate NPC only Digimon, so that's good. I wonder if they can digivolve too.

Interesting that you can go up and down the tree and that beating the game etc gives other forms. I guess that means once you unlock say, Greymon in one route, then replay you can still be Greymon due to having already unlocked it and then get Tyrannomon as your Champion in the other route etc. Will make things less boring I suppose as you wont be locked into only one form. It does make me wonder on the later forms though, such as say your Greymon becomes MetalGreymon, would Tyrannomon then get to become MetalGreymon too - etc.

Also, an online game doesn't interest me, at all. I'd straight up be tempted to skip it.

Follow Neil On Twitter Add Neil on Steam Add Neil on DeviantArt
    for the online game part I hope if they do that, that it's better Choreographed then Digimon masters Online... it is REALLY difficult to know what to do after a bare basic tutorial

as for the rest I'm mainly concerned about "skullgreymon Meatballs". what is this I need to know or it will keep me up at night
    Last edited by Neil; 09-25-2018 at 11:21 PM.

I'm a Maniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    as for the rest I'm mainly concerned about "skullgreymon Meatballs". what is this I need to know or it will keep me up at night
    It's presumably the scene in the official Adventure novelization, when Agumon dark-evolved into SkullGreymon against an enemy Greymon. It described how SkullGreymon gruesomely tore apart the Greymon into a "bloody meatball pulp."

I come from the net
    How interesting. To recruit the wild Digimon units on certain requirements eh? And the evolution... Maybe to devolve, in order to get hurt in the process but will be delayed in next turn with no actions? Haha nah I will be patient. Hope more new info to reveal eventually on that evolution paths.

Simple traditional RPG hmm "Special Battle Technique Cut-In Screen" or "Battle Technique Animation"? I think 1st option is more preferable for less time consumed play time.

So this Digimon Survive game is aimed for mature people again? I kinda had a feeling since Cerberumon Werewolf Mode's official profile. They will continue it with this pattern after Survive?

Really interesting and insightful interview and commentary.

So, it seems like evolutions are permanent, but the Partners would appear at Child Level at the start of the battle considering the gameplay footage that Agumon evolves directly into MetalGreymon without any choices in the Evolve command.

Really curious about new Digimons. I like that we are getting more "natural" and aesthetically different Digimons. Deva and Shiseijuu would fit perfectly.

The Digimon Story detail isn't 'really' new, but as a couple people asked me about it I added it.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo... KoreeluStromboli's Avatar
    Follow KoreeluStromboli On Twitter Visit KoreeluStromboli's Youtube Channel Add KoreeluStromboli on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by YongYoKyo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's presumably the scene in the official Adventure novelization, when Agumon dark-evolved into SkullGreymon against an enemy Greymon. It described how SkullGreymon gruesomely tore apart the Greymon into a "bloody meatball pulp."
    Eww... By the way, I hope Ignitemon will be one of the 100+ Digimon available in the Digimon Survive. I think he would fit the "wild nature of an isolated island" setting of Digimon Survive since he was a resident of the forestry Honey Land in Digimon Fusion.
    Last edited by KoreeluStromboli; 09-26-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Was kinda hoping the Switch would get more love from the next installment, but if Survive does well, maybe they'll rethink that, or just keep including the Switch with Survive sequels.

I think it's cool they are aiming for more naturalistic Digimon to fit the setting! I suspected that would be the case early on, but it is nice to have confirmation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast