With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Character Archetypes Discussion

I come from the net
    Yeah. That could make sense. Though much like one series with too many Rangers or a series with only 5, a "6th" Ranger gets a bit murky. So I guess you'd have Juri and Ryo as 4 and 5, then maybe Suzy could count. Unless you use Kazu/Kenta as the one before her.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter

Common Character Types in Digimon [Updated]

I have noticed that there are certain archetypes of characters that can usually be seen in every universe, including anime, mangas and certain videogames with a more developed storyline. Since there's just a very old thread from 2013 that approaches this topic, I have decided to make an updated compilation including more characters than the original. I'm open to talk any discussion in case you want to add some other characters or argue with any of the ones already included.

These are the main archetypes I have made:

A.-"Goggle Boy/Leader/Red" This person is the leader of the team, He is normally associated with Fire, and is partnered with a dinosaur Digimon. This dinosaur will generally resemble a small Tyrannosaurus as a rookie, turn into a larger and more muscular dinosaur as an adult, and an "armored" dinosaur as a perfect. These people will usually wear goggles and be associated with some shade of red or orange.

Major examples (anime): Taichi, Davis, Takato, Takuya, Masaru, Taiki, Tagiru, Haru, and Daigo.

Major examples (manga): Taichi, Kouta, Hikaru, and Tsurugi.

Major examples (videogames): Mameo, Akira, Atsushi, Player (Digimon Story), Sayo/Koh, Shuu/Kizuna, Taiga/Rina, Takumi/Ami, Takuto/Shiki, Kazuki/Itsuki, Keisuke, Player (ReArise), and Takuma.

B.-"Lone Wolf/Rebel/Blue" This person is a moody character, who will inevitably clash with the goggle boy. He will usually break away from the group at some point, only to return quickly. These people usually start out cold and heartless, but become kinder as the season progresses. They are normally partnered with canine Digimon, who have a bipedal rookie, a beastial adult, and a bipedal perfect.

Major examples (anime): Yamato, Ken, Ruki, Kouji, Kouichi, Thoma, Kiriha, Ryouma, and Rei.

Major examples (manga): Neo, Hideto, Yuuji, Masuken, and Shou.

Major examples (videogames): Bertran, Sayo/Koh, Yuuya, Arata, Mameo (Next Order), Shouma, Naoto, Ryuuji, and Takumi (ReArise).

C.-"Sixth Ranger Character" The character that joins the main cast later on and tend to have something special about them. While not always, they normally become into the main team quickly and usually share some traits with the "Lone Wolf/Rebel/Blue" archetype.

Major examples (anime): Hikari, Ken, Ryo, Impmon, Kouchi, Ikuto, Yuu, Ryouma, Ren, Airu, Yuujin, and Meiko.

Major examples (manga): Hideto, Mari, Sigma, Shinji, Masuken, and Hajime.

Major examples (videogames): Arata, Fei, Yuugo, and Nogi Yuu.

D.-"Girl/Girly Girl" The only real criteria for this archetype is to be a girl. These people can have a wide range of personalities, however they usually have a distinctly feminine personality. This archetype is sometimes partnered with Plant or Bird Digimon.

Major examples (anime): Mimi, Miyako, Jun, Juri, Shaochung, Izumi, Yoshino, Akari, Nene*, Airu, Eri, and Ai.

*Nene only fits this archetype for part two of Xros Wars.

Major examples (manga): Mari, Kiyoshi, Ami, and Norn.

Major examples (videogames): Lin Lin, Minori, Akiho, Nokia, Fei, Himari, Michi, Mayu, Saki, and Aoi.

E.-"Little Sibling/Crybaby" The little kid that tags along with the main group. Often becomes stronger and more confident as the series progressess, and is commonly partnered with a dispropotionatly strong Digimon. (Angemon, Angewomon , Antylamon, Tsuwamon). Their partner's rookie forms are generally "cute."

Major examples (anime): Hikari, Takeru, Iori, Shaochung, Tomoki, Chika, Yuu, and Hajime

Major examples (manga): Rei, Yuu, and Kotone.

Major examples (videogames): Yui, Takuto (Lost Evolution), Yuugo, Luche, Mio, and Nozomi.

F.-"Normal boy/Worrywort" These characters don't really seem to posess many outstanding character traits. However they are universally cautious, and have reserved, though not cold, personalities. There is not a clear pattern in their Digimon partners, but the earlier ones are all paired with mamillian Digimon, and the more recent ones are partnered with mechanical beetles. Their partners usually have a laid back personality as a contrast to their anxious partners.

Major examples (anime): Jou, Iori, Jenrya, Junpei, Zenjirou, Ren, Astra, and Yuujin (apparently).

Major examples (manga): Sigma, Teru, and Yuujin.

Major examples (videogames): Takumi (DW3), Hiroyuki, Petrov, Kouta, Chitose, Keito, and Minoru.

G.-"Data Girl/Mysterious Girl/Guy" These characters work behind the scenes and do very little besides monitor important events. They all work for a superior whom they are gathering data for. They are inherantly mysterious, and their intentions are usually unknown at first. These people tend to appear for a very short time each episode, usually to comment on an important development. They are partnered with mechanical digimon, though some members of this archetype do not have partner digimon.

Major examples (anime): Raley and Taley, Megumi and Miki, Nene*, Yuujin (anime), and Mysterious Man (tri.).

*Nene only fits this archetype for part one of Xros Wars.

Major examples (videogames): Mirei, Yuuko, and Erika.

H.-"BlackWarGreymon/Two Face/Emotional Bruiser" These characters start out evil, usually as a particularily strong foe, but turn good towards the series end. They often have a violent internal conflict, which is generally related to their hidden goodness. Their evil is often flushed out by the "power of friendship." These characters sometimes take a new alias once they have turned good, especially if they are human. Shares some similarities with the "Lone Wolf" archetype.

Major examples (anime): Gatomon, Ken, BlackWarGreymon, Yukio Oikawa, Impmon, Yamaki, Zhuqiaomon, Duskmon/Kouichi, Warriors of Evil, Nene, Kiriha, Yuu, Bagramon, Ryouma, Ren, Airu, Meicoomon, Maki, Rei, Offmon, and Knight.

Major examples (manga): Neo, Hideto, Mari, Sigma, Shou, and Nene.

Major examples (videogames): Yuuya, Arata, Yuuko, Fei, Suedo, and Shouma.

Some other minor archetypes:

I.-"Genius/'Nerd'/Child Prodigy": Koushiro, Iori, Miyako, Jenrya, Kouji, Yuu, Rei, Hajime, Watson, Sigma, Mirei, Erika, and Nogi Yuu.

J.-"Mentor/Senpai/Professor": Gennai, Jou, Koushiro (02), Shuu, Ryo, Yamaki, Bokomon, BanchoLeomon, Satsuma, Yushima, Taiki & Yuu (Hunters), Old Clock Shop Man, Gokuwmon, Den'emon, Maki & Daigo, Professor Petrov, Mirei, Kyoko, Matayoshi, and Mameo (Next Order).

K.-"Older Sister/Motherly Woman": Sora, Izumi, Yoshino, Akari, Sanzomon, Asuka, Makiko Date, Chihiro, and Aoi.

L.-"Joke/Spoof Character": Scumon, Tyumon, Numemon, Etemon, Daisuke, V-mon, Kazu, Kenta, Junpei, Bokomon, Neamon, Ranamon/Calamaramon, Gottsumon (Savers), Zenjirou, Tagiru, Gumdramon, Agumon (tri.), Eri, Dokamon, Astra, Musimon, Caught-Up Old Man, Taichi (V-Tamer), Zeromaru, and Jimmy KEN.

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    how was Yggdrasil related to its hidden goodness? It just uses others to save its own life...

Quote Originally Posted by frankiemon827 View Post
    how was Yggdrasil related to its hidden goodness? It just uses others to save its own life...
    That's why I put it in "Others" same as Leviathan, because both carry out evil actions due to a "good" ulterior motive (to save the future of the Digital World/Humanity). They are just technocrats.

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    That's why I put it in "Others" same as Leviathan, because both carry out evil actions due to a "good" ulterior motive (to save the future of the Digital World/Humanity). They are just technocrats.
    I really think you should make separate categories under villains & antagonists.

Also I wouldn't call them carry out with a "good" ulterior motive per say, more "relate-able" motive since there isn't absolute good or evil in digimon universe...

Astra is the normal or worrywort one?

I don't really consider either Eri or astra comic relief, catchphrases are different from jokes and they both have serious character moments of course
    Last edited by boredmon; 10-24-2018 at 03:04 AM.

I really think you should make separate categories under villains & antagonists.

Also I wouldn't call them carry out with a "good" ulterior motive per say, more "relate-able" motive since there isn't absolute good or evil in digimon universe...
    Yeah well I removed them because thinking about it twice, they don't help the protagonists either way or another so better avoid misunderstandings.

Quote Originally Posted by boredmon View Post

I don't really consider either Eri or astra comic relief, catchphrases are different from jokes and they both have serious character moments of course
    They have character moments indeed but this doesn't mean they don't act as comic relieves most of the times, especially during the first half of the series. Just think about Junpei for instance.

Appmon sort of breaks the mould in this though.

Haru is the Gogglehead but Rei is also the smart guy in addition to the lone wolf. Or is that Hajime?

Yeah well I removed them because thinking about it twice, they don't help the protagonists either way or another so better avoid misunderstandings.

Quote Originally Posted by boredmon View Post

They have character moments indeed but this doesn't mean they don't act as comic relieves most of the times, especially during the first half of the series. Just think about Junpei for instance.
    junpei was kind of the buttmonkey but eri or astra aren't,eri's idol ranking was even one of the more emotional moments, oh well

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I can see Astra as being comic relief. Thatís why I found him somewhat annoying.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast