With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 19 Years since Digimon Premiered in English

19 Years since Digimon Premiered in English

Another anniversary!

It's been 19 years since the English dub of Digimon premiered!

It premiered on Fox Kids on August 14th, 1999 on Saturday in the USA!

With the 20th Anniversary of the show just around the corner we're currently waiting for more details of the next Digimon Adventure, plus details of other things being done for the anniversary.

How/When did you first see the dub?
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I think it was near Christmas 1999, the first episode I saw was about Vamdemon creating the shroud of mist around Tokyo. Hooked ever since!

Unfortunately there wasn't any sites or catch up TV in those days. I had to wait nearly a year (Including sleeping in on the final battle with Apocalymon) to understand what had happened.

It was even longer before I found out how season 1 ended!

"Surely you didn't make that mistake again for season 2 on CITV"

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    From first grade through sixth grade I was part of a latchkey program at my school that gave students a place to hang out until their parents got off work to pick them up, and I believe that the first I saw of the Adventure dub was there. I think episode 8 was on the TV set up in the school gym/cafeteria (where theyíre walking through the forest on their way to the cottage). I wasnít actually watching the show, I just remember it being on. I donít recall when I first took an interest in it, but my brother and I started following it around the start of the Tokyo arc. I think it was the first show I watched on a weekly basis. I watched the rest of Adventureís dub through most of Tamersí.

Add Mugenlazlo on DeviantArt
    Because I was born on June 5, 1994, I was 5 when it first premiered in the USA, and I was still 4 when it premiered in Japan on March 7, 1999.

One of my earliest memories is actually seeing an ad for Adventure some time before it aired. I was watching Pokemon at the time and I went to the bathroom during a commercial break. I told my dad not to change the channel because I knew he didn't like Pokemon and when I got out there was a commercial for Digimon. Now I was 3 years old at the time and I didn't understand it was still a commercial break, so I thought my dad changed the channel and I actually got mad at him. But then Pokemon came back on and everything was fine.

I watched the series from the very beginning, but I missed a lot of the episodes because I had soccer games on Saturdays. Apparently the first time I saw the series in its entirety was when I was in middle school, which shocked me because I remembered so much of the plot, but I didn't remember the final battle with Apocalymon or a handful of other episodes scattered throughout the series. The same thing happened with 02 and Tamers, but much more so with Tamers.
    We're counting on you, Chosen Children

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Around early 2000, I think, when it debuted on CITV on this side of the pond. I missed the first episode, but from 2 onwards I was hooked. CITV was airing both Pokemon and Digimon, so I was pretty much watching both.

I ended up getting a second chance to watch episode 1 when CITV got to 27 and for some reason looped right back to the beginning. Also funnily enough - bearing in mind that MetalGreymon is my favourite Digimon - I missed his debut in episode 21 both times it aired!

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I caught the first season at episode 1 on Fox Kids UK as a kid. I don't think it was the first airing though, as the final episode was followed up by the first episode of season 2 straight away. I was sad at the ending, then suddenly season 2 started lol

I come from the net
    Whoa... I saw it on TV when it started. It's not a story like the rest but I started watching it and that's that I guess.

My dad introduced me to it, back when it first aired on Fox Kids. We watched it together when it first started, and my fifth birthday was actually Digimon themed. My mom went out and bought some of the mini figs to put on top of my cake, and I remember that was when you could still get digimon birthday party kits (cups, napkins, etc.). I think I missed out on frontierís first run, but I watched it on reruns. I remember being shocked when I learned about all of the undubbed movies (Diaboromon came back? Really?), and of course I saw the original in theaters.

Digimon has been a huge part of my life, and itís helped me through a lot of tragedies too. My father passed away in 2010, and Xros Wars was one way that I was able to help myself cope. Digimon and tragedy sort of go hand in hand for me. I wonít get into the rest of it, but for a while Tri stuff and Appmon stuff would come out right when I needed something to lean on.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Follow ninjafox1989 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    Around early 2000, I think, when it debuted on CITV on this side of the pond. I missed the first episode, but from 2 onwards I was hooked. CITV was airing both Pokemon and Digimon, so I was pretty much watching both.

I ended up getting a second chance to watch episode 1 when CITV got to 27 and for some reason looped right back to the beginning. Also funnily enough - bearing in mind that MetalGreymon is my favourite Digimon - I missed his debut in episode 21 both times it aired!
    The first time I saw Digimon was episode 2 of Adventure on CITV. Have been trying to work out recently when that was but think it was March or April 2000? At first I thought this is a rip off of Pokemon but after a few episodes I was hooked.

From what I can vaguely remember season 1 ended on CITV near when Digimon the movie was released in the UK.

I had completely forgotten about that happening with them going back to the start on CITV but after reading that it came back that I was watching that episode 27 the second time round thinking please continue after this.

P.S. First post on WTW so hello Digimon fans!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast