With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Adventure tri. Part 5 English Home Video Discussion

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    Prodigious. I didn't think I would enjoy dubbed Digimon this much. All the voices are fantastic (a lot of them are actually better than Japanese original version in my opinion) and dialogues are a lot clearer than original which made easier for me to understand the storyline. I was laughing at the dubbed jokes for once just tells how good it was. Back to voices there are few things I've noticed:

Daigo's voice is a lot more recognizable as TK from 02
    Dark Gennai's voice really reminded me of Spencer Damon from Data Savers (well they are all voiced by the same person)
    Maki's voice really matched her madness

Dialogue wise:
    More exposition from Hackmon
    Meiko's dad seems to know a lot more than original counterpart
    I really like and find even bit funny regarding Homeostasis speaking to Digidestined through Kari. It was pretty much a quick cold phone hang up XD

I'm now really looking forward to the release of part 6

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    The only thing I didn't care for was Tai's weird line of dialogue near the end (and I think this may be that one line people were talking about before?), basically: "Let's stop fighting Meicoomon and let Jesmon kill her instead" and the subsequent "You idiot! Stop fighting!"

Not only does that completely change the context of the original scene, but Jesmon's kinda, sorta, preoccupied with being locked in combat with Alphamon in the background. What exactly were the writers going for here?

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    The only thing I didn't care for was Tai's weird line of dialogue near the end (and I think this may be that one line people were talking about before?), basically: "Let's stop fighting Meicoomon and let Jesmon kill her instead" and the subsequent "You idiot! Stop fighting!"

Not only does that completely change the context of the original scene, but Jesmon's kinda, sorta, preoccupied with being locked in combat with Alphamon in the background. What exactly were the writers going for here?
    I think the dub writers were also confused. To be honest that scene was very confusing. To this day I still haven't figured out who (in sub version) said "Your idiots" and why

Ain't got no mojo... Hoy-Small-Fry's Avatar
    I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by this scene... One minute Tai is entirely about letting Jesmon kill Meicoomon, and then all of a sudden he's talking about protecting friends? Honestly, I've watched it twice and I still can't fathom it out... (Long time forum lurker, signed up solely for help with understanding what's going on here!)

Some other voice notes that I found frustrating and I'd be interested to hear others thoughts;

- Koromon. What. The. Heck. What's up with his voice? I couldn't understand what he was saying at the end and it robbed the scene of its weight

- Did Nyaromon get a new voice? She sounds nothing like she did in Loss? She had a very girly voice, and it turned into a voice approaching original Koromon. Just me?

Otherwise all great, just a few nitpicks with the dub I guess, doesn't help I'm watching Adventure at the moment!
    Last edited by Hoy-Small-Fry; 08-08-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    A big part of that scene was Tai basically saying Meicoomon was their friend, so it was their responsibility to put her out of her misery. So changing it to, "let's bow out so that Jesmon can do it" did seem like a weird change, slightly to the story's detriment. Though given how things have to turn out in Part 6, I guess there's no long term damage.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

Quote Originally Posted by McGann View Post
    A big part of t ooohhat scene was Tai basically saying Meicoomon was their friend, so it was their responsibility to put her out of her misery. So changing it to, "let's bow out so that Jesmon can do it" did seem like a weird change, slightly to the story's detriment.
    I only watch the dubs so I'm unsure what the original intention of the scene is... My understanding from the dub is that Tai agrees with Meiko, and wants to tell Omnimon to stop fighting so Jesmon can kill her.

Then Omnimon slams Raguelmon into the ground randomly and Alphamon knocks Jesmon's beam away? Honestly I really am having a hard time lining the end up, especially as Kari then just goes all glowy for no reason...

Some context from the original would be great!

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiemon827 View Post
    I think the dub writers were also confused. To be honest that scene was very confusing. To this day I still haven't figured out who (in sub version) said "Your idiots" and why
    It was Raguelmon. Besides the voice, you can tell because of the audio effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoy-Small-Fry View Post
    Then Omnimon slams Raguelmon into the ground randomly and Alphamon knocks Jesmon's beam away? Honestly I really am having a hard time lining the end up, especially as Kari then just goes all glowy for no reason...
    In the original the Chosen Children are conflicted about what to do, and Omegamon's actions reflect that. He's Taichi and Yamato's joint partner, and while Taichi agrees with Meiko that Raguelmon should be destroyed, Yamato disagrees. So it seems to me like Omegamon is keeping her out of harm's way until some kind of consensus is reached on whether they should kill her or not. Plus, from the dialogue in the original, it sounds like Taichi wants to take responsibility for putting Maicoomon out of her misery, as opposed to Jesmon doing it. The dub dialogue sounds really weird (go figure).
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    In the original the Chosen Children are conflicted about what to do, and Omegamon's actions reflect that. He's Taichi and Yamato's joint partner, and while Taichi agrees with Meiko that Raguelmon should be destroyed, Yamato disagrees. So it seems to me like Omegamon is keeping her out of harm's way until some kind of consensus is reached on whether they should kill her or not. Plus, from the dialogue in the original, it sounds like Taichi wants to take responsibility for putting Maicoomon out of her misery, as opposed to Jesmon doing it. The dub dialogue sounds really weird (go figure).
    Ok so is Omnimon actually trying to kill Raguelmon when he slams her to the ground? And he tries to save her from Jesmon's blast because a consensus hasn't been reached? Sorry if I sound stupid but this scene just makes no sense to me, but it sounds like a dub issue... (first one I've had problems with for the entire run, it's such a shame that it's at such a crucial moment)

And then once Tai is gone, Matt gets really angry about Tai "doing what he chose to do"... Again, what was the context here?
    Last edited by Hoy-Small-Fry; 08-08-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoy-Small-Fry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Ok so is Omnimon actually trying to kill Raguelmon when he slams her to the ground? And he tries to save her from Jesmon's blast because a consensus hasn't been reached? Sorry if I sound stupid but this scene just makes no sense to me, but it sounds like a dub issue... (first one I've had problems with for the entire run, it's such a shame that it's at such a crucial moment)

And then once Tai is gone, Matt gets really angry about Tai "doing what he chose to do"... Again, what was the context here?
    I think it's more that he's just holding her off / trying to subdue her, in both the Dub and the Original, while also trying to protect her from Jesmon. I don't think in either versions he has outright decided to kill her, both because there is lack of consensus, and no one's told him to yet.

Tai told Omnimon to go save Matt and Meiko instead of him. I think that's why Matt was mad at him, or rather, upset that he sacrificed himself to protect them.
    Last edited by McGann; 08-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast