With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero Two Plot Holes

Quote Originally Posted by CoDL View Post
    I guess that scene is vague enough to get that interpretation but I've always seen that as the D3 transferring the Digi-Egg of Courage to the D-Terminal
    My take on it was also that the D-Terminal could have been already in his pocket at that point. Quite a while ago Garmmon translated a section about the D-terminal from the Digimon animation chronicle (It seems I requested it actually even though I can't remember it... *feels old*) and the only information about their origin was "after the incident 3 years ago, when Odaiba had been restored to normal, these wireless mail terminals were distributed to the children for testing. It was modified further by Koushirou and Miyako. "...which is still not saying much of anything but at least provides a time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiemon827 View Post
    To name a few:
    1) Dark Ocean & Dagomon. Never really explained
    2) Daemon and his goals. He wasn't defeated and sent to Dark Ocean and never heard again
    3) Blackwargreymon. He was made of dark towers like many other digimon but only he had distinct personality and disobeyed Arukenimon's commands
    4) Malomyotismon. How did he keep coming back??
    5)Gennai from old man to young man from Adenture to 02 with many other agents suddenly showed up(who were thought to be killed by Dark Masters in Season 1)
    6) continuity stuff e.g. how did Tai managed to get Agumon in Ep1 when the gate was thought closed...and he had the digi PSP thing before 02 kids received theirs.
    1. The dark ocean is a parallel world that exist along side the Digital World, Dagomon is the ruler of that ocean. That was explained in episode 13, and a few others, including the last episode when Yolei ask what it was.

2. Demonís goal is to collect the dark spores, he only showed up in the real world because Arukenimon, Mummymon, and Oikowa wanted them and were interfering with them. He was sent to the dark ocean, since that was the only place that he probably couldn¬ít escape from. He would have just came back if they sealed him in the DigiWorld and he was to powerful for the Digidestined to defeat.

3. This isnít a plot hole, he just so happened to be created from dark towers and became aware of his existence.

4. Like the first two this was explained in the anime, his soul or spirit survived in Oikowa, and he used the dark spores to gain energy.

5. Not sure about that one to be honest.

6. The D-Terminal I believe it was called originated in the human world as explained by Azulongmon. Iím sure the digidestined had prior knowledge to opening the digigate, before the start of the series. Taichi opened it, Koushiro knew about it, as did Hikari and Takeru.

One thing I will say is a major plot hole is that Gatomon can digivolve to Angewomon in episode 13, despite there being a control spire/dark tower in the dark ocean. The dark tower should have prevented her from digivolving, also later in the series we find out that Gatomon and the other Digimon gave up the power to digivolve to ultimate. In other episodes we see Zudomon and MagnaAngemon, ultimate Digimon.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Tailmon could evolve in episode 13 because of the pillar of light that appeared. She wouldn't have been able to evolve under her own power. Angemon evolved for the same reason, because the energy was provided by the Holy Stone.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Ain't got no mojo... Cheeseknife's Avatar
    Visit Cheeseknife's Youtube Channel
    I was actually talking about this with someone recently. It's just one of a myriad of things wrong with Adventure 02, by the way, but here it is:

Adventure 02 basically retconned Devimon's death. Based on the dialogue in Episode 19 of Adventure 02, we're given this narration: "...Angemon gave his own life to seal Devimon's dark power away, three years ago." However, this is in conflict with what is said in Episode 13 of Digimon Adventure. Angemon says, "I will obliterate your powers of evil...you must be erased from this world!" In summary: Adventure 02 says Devimon was "sealed away." Digimon Adventure says Devimon was "obliterated" or "erased."

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    He was sort of both. He was erased from the Digital World, but his data remained sealed away in the Dark World.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Ain't got no mojo... twilightguardian's Avatar
    Add twilightguardian on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    He was sort of both. He was erased from the Digital World, but his data remained sealed away in the Dark World.
    Erasing data means a destruction of the data, not so much wrapping it up and locking it in a cupboard. There's a lot of talk in digimon lore or digimon bios about obliteration of data vs. sealing them away elsewhere like the Dark Area. They seem like two completely different things. Also considering for it to be Devimon's data and it being evil to the extent it was shown in 02 requires said data to on some level be consciously aware of the events that took place, but most digimon when deleted - as Devimon clearly was - lose all memory of their former life from before they were deleted. This isn't the case with digimon being sealed away. There'd also be the idea of Anubimon getting involved if it was the Dark Area.

Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel Add Xadhoom on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightguardian View Post
    here's a lot of talk in digimon lore or digimon bios about obliteration of data vs. sealing them away elsewhere like the Dark Area. They seem like two completely different things.
    They aren't. Per Anubismon's fluff, death/deletion is just a step in the process, then him transmitting their text-unspecified remains (their souls, because Hell and all that jazz) (like how Myotismon and Wizardmon both lingered as spirits) there.

Follow XDragon On Twitter Visit XDragon's Youtube Channel Add XDragon on Steam Add XDragon on DeviantArt Visit XDragon on XBox Live
    1 and 2 aren't plot holes as others have said, they're more like abandoned plot lines that never amounted to anything, which is what turns me off from 02 more than anything. It had potential, those were great potential arcs but they never explored them for anything.
    Currently Raising:

20th anniversary V-Pet (Alphamon Version)
    RustTyrannomon & Alphamon

Ain't got no mojo... twilightguardian's Avatar
    Add twilightguardian on DeviantArt
    When they're deleted by Chosen, they're often purified of the evil and start fresh. Also, coming back as a digiegg seems to be fairly instant. If they're sealed in the Dark Area, they're there for good from my research.

Erasing data means a destruction of the data, not so much wrapping it up and locking it in a cupboard. There's a lot of talk in digimon lore or digimon bios about obliteration of data vs. sealing them away elsewhere like the Dark Area.
    But the profiles don't directly refer to adventure. And more importantly even if we could trust the exact terminology (which I doubt) the more important question is if we can trust the characters. Take a look at episode 2. The partner Digimon attempt to explain evolution to their partners but it becomes very clear that they don't really know what they are talking about. They admit that it doesn't make sense to them. And it just keeps going. Tentomon doesn't have a grasp on the difference between digital and electric, Patamon doesn't know if devolving is even possible, Piyomon completely overestimates her flying abilities, Palmon knows the word photosynthesis but has no idea what it actually means (clearly a biting satire of unfocused research and half knowledge in the information age). In other words those characters are not reliable sources of information about anything. So when Angemon uses the word "erase" would he even aware of the exact meaning that word has in the lore? Can we be sure that he's using it "correctly"? I don't think so. He's not a character like Gennai or post-adventure Koushiro (In adventure even he still relies mostly on guesswork) who can be said to be well acquainted with the way the digital world works.
    But there's also the matter of erasure abilities outside of just wording. I do believe that the profiles treat data getting erased absolutely as differently from standard deletion to the dark area (in the sense that nothing would be left to send there) but the wording is not as definite as you suggest and the profiles make very sure to point out abilities where this effect happens, like in the case of Cyberdramon because it such a "premium" destructive ability. And long story short, Angemon doesn't have it. No piece of media suggests that Angemon's attack do more than just kill the opponent normally. The profile "merely" mentions his opponents being "annihilated" which is a term that is used somewhat liberally in profiles and card texts and on its own doesn't suggest more than basical physical annihilation.

In summary, your argument attempts to apply terminology and logic from the profiles to Adventure while at the same time also contradicting them by claiming that Angemon possess abilities that he according to his profile doesn't even have.

Also considering for it to be Devimon's data and it being evil to the extent it was shown in 02 requires said data to on some level be consciously aware of the events that took place, but most digimon when deleted - as Devimon clearly was - lose all memory of their former life from before they were deleted.
    Again, this is not something that was ever proven true for Adventure (It's true for Savers but that doesn't really matter). Wormmon died and didn't lose his memories. Etemon died and didn't lose his memories. Leomon died and seemed perfectly familiar with the chosen when he popped back up in tri. Only the big Reboot in tri deleted memories, and even that didn't stick.

When they're deleted by Chosen, they're often purified of the evil and start fresh.
    Often? I honestly don't remember a single instance of this explicitly happening. The Chosen have ways to purify, like the light of their digivices, or Hikari's powers or physically destroying evil influences like the gears or rings but all those methods are non-lethal. If they just straight up murder someone I don't think we've ever been shown that it's any more purifying than getting murdered by anything else.

Also, coming back as a digiegg seems to be fairly instant.
    The only instant transmission we've seen directly was Angemon and in that case it's questionable whether or not he even "properly" died. Leomon didn't seem to be in a hurry to come back. Wormmon was pretty fast but then again we don't exactly know how many days passed.

If they're sealed in the Dark Area, they're there for good from my research.
    Then your research is lacking. Sealing evil away is the purpose of the dark area but it's very clear that it completely fails at fulfilling it. Just look at all the Dark Area Digimon in all those different continuities walking around in the normal digital world and causing trouble. Because in a narrative sense the dark area is the exact opposite of what you say. It exists to leak out evil, to be a convenient storage for villains to pop out from. The franchise can't allow it to be effective just like it will never allow groups like the Holy Beasts and the Royal Knights to do their jobs properly.
    Last edited by Theigno; 07-31-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast