With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Call of Dagomon

Call of Dagomon

Hey all,

So I've finally gotten around to watching Digimon Adventure 02 subbed (WAAY better than the dub)...and I had a question. I saw on a video that there was some interesting behind the scenes things going on with this season that led to plot holes (such as the infamous Dagomon never showing up and the Dark Ocean plot amounting to nothing). However, the video didn't go into great detail, and it left me more curious than anything. Does anybody know anything about the history of this particular show/episode/dropped arc? Or at the very least some articles on the subject? I've been unable to find anything...

Thanks!

Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel Add Xadhoom on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthechuck3 View Post
    Hey all,

So I've finally gotten around to watching Digimon Adventure 02 subbed (WAAY better than the dub)...and I had a question. I saw on a video that there was some interesting behind the scenes things going on with this season that led to plot holes (such as the infamous Dagomon never showing up and the Dark Ocean plot amounting to nothing). However, the video didn't go into great detail, and it left me more curious than anything. Does anybody know anything about the history of this particular show/episode/dropped arc? Or at the very least some articles on the subject? I've been unable to find anything...

Thanks!
    AFAIK, the story that 02's production was particularly unsteady among the animes is 100% a fandom fabrication. No official statement to that effect, or that the Dark Ocean was dropped, has been made, which is why you haven't found anything.

Yeah, any stores about problems, etc. are made up based on people having a misunderstanding how production works, or simply aren't willing to understand that the story not playing out the way they want doesn't mean there is an issue.

Plus people tend to want to believe there is a 'reason' they don't like something, rather than it just didn't appeal to them.

In fact, the director of 02, and the writer of the Dagomon episode are friendly with each other, and the fandom has gained heavy amounts of information just based on them chatting randomly with each other.

Down to and including 'how' the Dagomon episode came to be.

Kakudou, the director of 02, saw the design for Dagomon out of existing Digimon, asked if it was indeed based on 'that thing', was told yes. (That thing being 'the deep ones' and Lovecraft work in general.)

He asked Konaka to write a one off episode about the character. Konaka did. (Konaka is well known as a hardcore fan of the works of Lovecraft.)

Konaka has a love of endings that don't fully tie things up with a bow on them.

In fact, if you want to know how consistent the staff was...

All the writers of 02 were still there during Tamers minus two: One ongoing writer and a one off guest writer.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo... PietroHades's Avatar
    The only, and most serious, problem of 02 was to have been hastily. usually the pre-production starts a year before the show and 02 had little time due to the success of Adventure, so it's all badly connected. The black ocean was in the middle of this mess, connecting more to Ken's plot than Vandemon's plans. Even if they had had more planning time Ken, Black Ocean, Demon and Oikawa would probably be better connected than using Vandemon once again.

Haha, good to know! I have to say, I'm digging the original SOOO much better than the dub. I could never connect with the plot or characters as the dub presented them in this series (though I had no issues with Adventure or Tamers)...they were all kind of jerks. I suppose this episode just kinda stands on its own then simply because it was intended to be that way.