With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Thanksgiving Livestream Event Announced, Plus New Game Announcement Incoming

Updated with general ticket sales opening on July 7th.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Garmmon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugenlazlo View Post
    I thought Thanksgiving was in November, not July.
    It's literally a 'thank you festival' (感謝祭), some Japan franchises hold events like these to thank the fans for their support.
    I don't celebrate Thanksgiving so I'm not that familiar with what it is but I think it's similar in that you give thanks for the blessings and good things you experienced?
    It's essentially this, at least in Canada. On the surface it was originally meant to gather everyone to celebrate and give thanks for the good harvest (but has a complicated history in the US afaik). In the US, Thanksgiving is celebrated in November but in Canada is celebrated early October.

Unfortunately (?) most J-E dictionaries suggest only "Thanksgiving [Festival]" as a possible meaning. Generally though, in Japanese classes taught in N. America in French and English, サンクスギビング (lit.: Thanksgiving) is what's suggested and taught at first versus 感謝祭.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Habumon nailed it very much with his last tweet: "The hardest part of someone work on Digimon is you have to understand what Digimon really is and you can't just say you really understood when you only see the surface".

Source

If this is not a jab at TOEI latest commitment with Digimon, I don't know what it could be.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    If this is not a jab at TOEI latest commitment with Digimon, I don't know what it could be.
    Except, he then goes on to say (according to a machine translation of the rest of that very same Tweet):

"The settings are different for each work, and there are no materials that summarizes the settings for each work, so you only have to collect materials and study by yourself."

Pretty sure whatever he's saying has nothing to do with Toei in any way, shape or form.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I thought he was talking about the new guy he brought in who is new so has just seen the surface

Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    Except, he then goes on to say (according to a machine translation of the rest of that very same Tweet):

"The settings are different for each work, and there are no materials that summarizes the settings for each work, so you only have to collect materials and study by yourself."

Pretty sure whatever he's saying has nothing to do with Toei in any way, shape or form.
    Well that's definitely a point. Digimon is a very diverse franchise, for good and for bad, and trying to answer the question "What is Digimon about?" has always been a recurrent topic for a long time now. That's why I like the idea Habu conveys into his works, 'case in my opinion he does his best to capture the essence of Digimon.

Follow Garmmon On Twitter Add Garmmon on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinraisei View Post
    Unfortunately (?) most J-E dictionaries suggest only "Thanksgiving [Festival]" as a possible meaning. Generally though, in Japanese classes taught in N. America in French and English, サンクスギビング (lit.: Thanksgiving) is what's suggested and taught at first versus 感謝祭.
    I guess サンクスギビング would be clear that it's referring to the holiday itself? Whereas 感謝祭 would be a more general 'thanksgiving' (i'm not sure people really use that word outside of the holiday itself though...now that you mention it maybe this isn't the best way to translate it haha). But thanks!

Habumon nailed it very much with his last tweet: "The hardest part of someone work on Digimon is you have to understand what Digimon really is and you can't just say you really understood when you only see the surface".

Source

Guys stop mistranslating things just to put words into people's mouths wtf. If you're not sure what the original text means then don't go on to try and misinterpret it.

デジモンで大変なところは、新しい人が来た時に”これを見れば一通りデジモンのことがわかる”と言うものが ないこと。作品ごとに設定は違うし、作品ごとの設定をまとめた資料も皆無なので、自力で資料を集め勉強する しかなかったりするわけです。
    One tough part of working on Digimon is that there isn't really a one thing that we can show newcomers onto a project that will "explain everything there is to know about Digimon at one glance". The settings and backgrounds of each series are all different and we don't really have a resource that has all the settings/details of each series neatly in one place, so [newcomers] tend to have to gather these resources and study them on their own.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Thanksgiving is a word apart from the holiday, though it’s not commonly used in modern English. You’ll see it more often in older texts.

I guess サンクスギビング would be clear that it's referring to the holiday itself? Whereas 感謝祭 would be a more general 'thanksgiving' (i'm not sure people really use that word outside of the holiday itself though...now that you mention it maybe this isn't the best way to translate it haha). But thanks!
    Indeed, the only other related time I can recall seeing it is in Japan's "Labour Thanksgiving Day" (勤労感謝の日) so I guess it's just being used as a general word for giving thanks? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--EDIT--
    And sniped.

デジモンで大変なところは、新しい人が来た時に”これを見れば一通りデジモンのことがわかる”と言うものが ないこと。作品ごとに設定は違うし、作品ごとの設定をまとめた資料も皆無なので、自力で資料を集め勉強する しかなかったりするわけです。
    One tough part of working on Digimon is that there isn't really a one thing that we can show newcomers onto a project that will "explain everything there is to know about Digimon at one glance". The settings and backgrounds of each series are all different and we don't really have a resource that has all the settings/details of each series neatly in one place, so [newcomers] tend to have to gather these resources and study them on their own.
    This is really an interesting thought! I strongly agree with Habu in this regard. Thanks for the translation (and sorry for my vehemence).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast