With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on Mysterious Man (Dark Gennai) and Alphamon (Spoilers)

Ain't got no mojo...
    Besides Alphamon,they were also Dukemon and Omegamon (and others) working for Yggdrasil,so it's not completely new.

Quote Originally Posted by DBxDigimon_fan View Post
    Or perhaps they figured they'd change it up since Advenure is a different universe from the other digimon series'. I mean, there isn't just one way to handle each digimon.
    If they did, it was a dumb move. Deliberately using characters that have well-known built-in lore and then diluting all the lore out is wasteful. The reason people were excited to see Alphamon on the posters all those years ago was because of his shared lore with Omegamon and the implications of a second Royal Knight showing up in a universe where they didn't exist.

Then Alphamon actually showed up and it became clear that he was just a big thug to throw around.
    Merry Christmas to the forum! A blessed Christmas Day to you and a blessed Christmas season to follow.

Junior Commander DBxDigimon_fan's Avatar
    Why do they need to use lore from other series' in Adventure. Its a completely different universe, one that was created before Alphamon. I know they CAN always use lore from other universes, but seems like a waste. There are so many ways to use each digimon. Besides, Digimon clearly have different personalities from each other in universe, why not between universes?

Also, if people were expecting that; there's your dumb move. People really ought to watch things with more open minds so they don't end up setting themselves up for disappointment. Like how people want digimon to be more like pokemon and have their next evolution look like the last. Digimon is so much more than that, why on earth would anybody want to limit that?

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaVersus View Post
    But like Jaybird said, does Alphamon even use its trademark abilities in Tri?
    He doesn't call them but he clearly uses Soul Digitisation (the X movie/Cyber Sleuth version, with green beams) and Blade of the Dragon King when in Ouryuken form.

Next Order's Alphamon works for King Drasil BTW but that's just cuz he's not evil there. (so does the Omnimon he's BFFs with. Heck all the RKs work for him). This KD just chills and watches and such lol
    Last edited by Muur; 08-19-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Why do they need to use lore from other series' in Adventure. Its a completely different universe, one that was created before Alphamon. I know they CAN always use lore from other universes, but seems like a waste. There are so many ways to use each digimon. Besides, Digimon clearly have different personalities from each other in universe, why not between universes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird C View Post
    Deliberately using characters that have well-known built-in lore and then diluting all the lore out is wasteful.
    The Royal Knights are admittedly a special case where this is concerned, because of how the franchise works. Outside of the original Omnimon, Magnamon, Dukemon, and UlforceV-dramon -- from the Adventure series, Tamers, and V-Tamer -- every member of the group was introduced to the franchise -- indeed conceived of -- as a Royal Knight. Most Digimon are dreamed up in a vacuum and then assigned lore as an afterthought (in many cases a long-afterthought) after being given alternate portrayals, but the Royal Knights were designed with the shared lore in mind; for just about every Royal Knight, that lore is who they are in ways that don't apply for other Digimon. The same designation applies to many latter Olympos Digimon.

Choosing Alphamon and JESmon, two characters that were explicitly designed to be Royal Knights, and then not having them be Royal Knights is a singularly pointless decision that suggests either carelessness or vanity. tri. does nothing of with them to justify the change, the story only has them be big and tough monsters that are bigger and tougher than all the other monsters.

(And who said anything about personalities? The Royal Knights actually having a personality would almost assuredly have been an improvement).

Also, if people were expecting that; there's your dumb move. People really ought to watch things with more open minds so they don't end up setting themselves up for disappointment.
    I don't suppose you think it was also wrong of the audience to see Imperialdramon on the posters for Determination and assume the 02 kids would matter, too.
    Merry Christmas to the forum! A blessed Christmas Day to you and a blessed Christmas season to follow.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I was glad that Adventure didn't use the Royal Knights as a group. I could have done without Yggdrasill as well, but at least we didn't have the Royal Knights thing rehashed for the dozenth time.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Junior Commander DBxDigimon_fan's Avatar
    The Royal Knights are admittedly a special case where this is concerned, because of how the franchise works. Outside of the original Omnimon, Magnamon, Dukemon, and UlforceV-dramon -- from the Adventure series, Tamers, and V-Tamer -- every member of the group was introduced to the franchise -- indeed conceived of -- as a Royal Knight. Most Digimon are dreamed up in a vacuum and then assigned lore as an afterthought (in many cases a long-afterthought) after being given alternate portrayals, but the Royal Knights were designed with the shared lore in mind; for just about every Royal Knight, that lore is who they are in ways that don't apply for other Digimon. The same designation applies to many latter Olympos Digimon.

Choosing Alphamon and JESmon, two characters that were explicitly designed to be Royal Knights, and then not having them be Royal Knights is a singularly pointless decision that suggests either carelessness or vanity. tri. does nothing of with them to justify the change, the story only has them be big and tough monsters that are bigger and tougher than all the other monsters.

(And who said anything about personalities? The Royal Knights actually having a personality would almost assuredly have been an improvement).
    The royal knights are not a thing in the Adventure universe. Like you said, Omegamon and Magnamon were introduced as just more powerful Digimon. The way Alphamon & Jesmon were used in Tri is consistent with that and it would be pointless to have them be royal knights when 1] its been redone amillion times already in past series' 2] there would be no other royal knights in Tri. Its much more fitting for the Adventure series that they use them as "bigger and tougher monsters." Since, you know, this is a show about Digital MONSTERS. I see no issue here...
    Last edited by DBxDigimon_fan; 08-20-2018 at 04:17 AM.

Like you said, Omegamon and Magnamon were introduced as just more powerful Digimon. The way Alphamon & Jesmon were used in Tri is consistent with that and it would be pointless to have them be royal knights when 1] its been redone amillion times already in past series' 2] there would be no other royal knights in Tri.
    I agree that there was no need to feature the RK as a group, but the expectations of the audience for them to appear, while somewhat questionable at the start, became a whole lot more logical once they literally confirmed Yggdrasil's existence. Ignoring the fact that Yggdrasil and the Royal Knights go together like barely any other concepts in the franchise do would be extremely strange.
    That said, I'm not sure if it would have added much. Them acknowledging the group in adventure would have clarified why Alphamon was working for Yggdrasil but would have raised the question of why Jesmon wasn't which they then also would have to explain. As it stands they are powerful servants of powerful entities... which makes sense on its own.
    Of course we don't know why neither of them didn't show up and just murder any of the previous Adventure villains, but having them be royal knights would not help with that either.
    Last edited by Theigno; 08-20-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel Add Xadhoom on DeviantArt
    Alphamon and JESmon, two characters that were explicitly designed to be Royal Knights, and then not having them be Royal Knights is a singularly pointless decision that suggests either carelessness or vanity.
    The Story games also had Alphamon (and Leopardmon & Sleipmon too) appear without the Royal Knights being a thing.

As a wise man told me: Digimon canon is confusing as all hell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast