With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Audience for New Digimon Project Mentioned in Toei Briefing Q&A

I'm going digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Kon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post
    that doesn't say anything. Even though they are just mini theatres, the run has been extended into several weeks. It also has an online stream in Japan, and then a limited blu ray release. Making more open broadcast is futile especially for a sequel of Tri since it won't add many new watchers, especially if TOEI wants more money.

Making a TV series could be quite troublesome, since their audience are more likely into adult, they can't choose airing time easily as adult shows are more likely air in midnight. Most of TOEI shows air in the morning of saturday or sunday, CMIIW.
    The core audience is the fans of Tri (not general adult audience), they want to slightly expand that audience.

The amount of theatres was pretty reduced during the extended weeks, so the broadcast of theatres was still pretty limited (there are people who can't travel to the theatres). You need a Crunchyroll account to see the stream. So, a more open broadcast may slightly expand the core audience.

Of course, it's also possible they want to add a new young audience (the main audience of Toei). So, this new season may add new kid protagonists, while Adventure digidestined are supporting characters.
    They opened an online stream in Japan for a fee, I said that already. There's no reason for some people being unable to travel to the theatres. Crunchyroll is just for overseas fans, not Japan (CMIIW). Opening a more open broadcast won't likely expand the core audience since pretty sure a small amount of them has been stopped watching Tri since certain part. It's not like that TOEI can motivate these people to watch the new "Tri" if there's probably no way to attract them again, except if the next show is something not Tri or Adventure continuation (except if they make alternate route like the case of Inazuma Eleven Ares).

"Of course, it's also possible they want to add a new young audience (the main audience of Toei). So, this new season may add new kid protagonists, while Adventure digidestined are supporting characters."
    Keep dreaming. Everyone know that all of people who watch 02 are those who already watched Digimon Adventure, and those who watched Tri are those who watched both Adventure & 02. There are no new people who will watch a sequel of something they don't know at all, even though in the next series there's gonna be new characters as main focus. As long as they still keep the same universe, the continued storyline from previous series, there's no way new people are gonna watch it, except if they created a new digimon series with strong Adventure vibe (like Savers) as I said before. 02 already answered your argument.

Completely digital
    They opened an online stream in Japan for a fee, I said that already. There's no reason for some people being unable to travel to the theatres. Crunchyroll is just for overseas fans, not Japan (CMIIW). Opening a more open broadcast won't likely expand the core audience since pretty sure a small amount of them has been stopped watching Tri since certain part. It's not like that TOEI can motivate these people to watch the new "Tri" if there's probably no way to attract them again, except if the next show is something not Tri or Adventure continuation (except if they make alternate route like the case of Inazuma Eleven Ares).
    Thank you for the clarification. When the free stream in Japan hapened?

Also, I heard of peple in Japan who can't travel to the cities with the theatres for Tri.

"Of course, it's also possible they want to add a new young audience (the main audience of Toei). So, this new season may add new kid protagonists, while Adventure digidestined are supporting characters."
    Keep dreaming. Everyone know that all of people who watch 02 are those who already watched Digimon Adventure, and those who watched Tri are those who watched both Adventure & 02. There are no new people who will watch a sequel of something they don't know at all, even though in the next series there's gonna be new characters as main focus. As long as they still keep the same universe, the continued storyline from previous series, there's no way new people are gonna watch it, except if they created a new digimon series with strong Adventure vibe (like Savers) as I said before. 02 already answered your argument.
    In fact, Toei had already tried to attract a new audience with new characters in in a old universe. An example: Saint Seiya Omega.

So, I don't think it's impossible they tried something similiar again.

PS: So far, it seems the new project is a sequel for Adventure and Tri. I don't know Toei's plan to slightly increase the audience, but I'm curious to see this.
    Last edited by Kon; 06-27-2018 at 06:42 AM.

I'm going digital
    Thank you for the clarification. When the free stream in Japan hapened?

Also, I heard of peple in Japan who can't travel to the cities with the theatres for Tri.
    I didn't say it's free, they pay for online stream. "For a fee", not "Free".

"The film will open in Japan on May 5 and will screen for three weeks. As with previous films in the series, theaters screening the film will also sell a limited-edition Blu-ray Disc. The film will also be available to stream online for a fee on the same day in Japan."

source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...w-form/.129098

In fact, Toei had already tried to attract a new audience with new characters in in a old universe. An example: Saint Seiya Omega.

So, I don't think it's impossible they tried something similiar again.

PS: So far, it seems the new project is a sequel for Adventure and Tri. I don't know Toei's plan to slightly increase the audience, but I'm curious to see this.
    I don't really know about Saint Seiya, but I watched Omega for several episodes. From what I saw, the story is an original one, not a related sequel of the 1986 anime. You don't have to understand the previous series to enjoy it, just like how Dragon Ball Z is to the original Dragon Ball. Digimon Adventure relies so much on the story aspect, and the sequels can't really separate from it. I mean, people who didn't watch Adventure can't understand on how Daisuke & co could become chosen children, how Taichi and co could be chosen children before, why BelialVamdemon exist, etc on 02.

Completely digital
    ]I didn't say it's free, they pay for online stream. "For a fee", not "Free".

"The film will open in Japan on May 5 and will screen for three weeks. As with previous films in the series, theaters screening the film will also sell a limited-edition Blu-ray Disc. The film will also be available to stream online for a fee on the same day in Japan."

source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...w-form/.129098
    I'm sorry, I had misunderstood you.

I don't really know about Saint Seiya, but I watched Omega for several episodes. From what I saw, the story is an original one, not a related sequel of the 1986 anime. You don't have to understand the previous series to enjoy it, just like how Dragon Ball Z is to the original Dragon Ball. Digimon Adventure relies so much on the story aspect, and the sequels can't really separate from it. I mean, people who didn't watch Adventure can't understand on how Daisuke & co could become chosen children, how Taichi and co could be chosen children before, why BelialVamdemon exist, etc on 02.
    Well, 02 can rely in Adventure story, because it started one week after Adventure ended. Although I had heard that it's easy to understand 02 even if you don't saw Adventure.

Saint Seiya Omega is still a sequel in the same universe. This tried to attract new young audience, but it still want that a amount of old fans look this series.

It's possible they want to make something similar for a sequel of Adventure and Tri. The first chapter would probably give many explanations (like Omega did).

PS: Honestly, as a fan of Saint Seiya (I saw in 90's), I wasn't sure you can totally understand Saint Seiya Omega without saw the original series. Thank you for show that I was wrong in that aspect.
    Last edited by Kon; 06-27-2018 at 10:57 AM.

I'm going digital
    Well, 02 can rely in Adventure story, because it started one week after Adventure ended. Although I had heard that it's easy to understand 02 even if you don't saw Adventure.

Saint Seiya Omega is still a sequel in the same universe. This tried to attract new young audience, but it still want that a amount of old fans look this series.

It's possible they want to make something similar for a sequel of Adventure and Tri. The first chapter would probably give many explanations (like Omega did).

PS: Honestly, as a fan of Saint Seiya (I saw in 90's), I wasn't sure you can totally understand Saint Seiya Omega without saw the original series. Thank you for show that I was wrong in that aspect.
    I don't know, but Omega has all the focused main characters brand new, while the old saints were trapped and they appeared only in small flashbacks and some important episodes, especially Seiya. 02 has only 3 (+1) brand new chosen children, Takeru and Hikari are still in there.

In Saint Seiya Omega I've never seen some things that requires me to understand the old series except for understanding who's those old saints (but it didn't do much as the main focus is only Seiya, all I need to know is that he's the predecessor of Athena's guardian and now has become Gold Saint).

In 02 however, I still need to understand why Wizardmon appeared and how it had relationships with Hikari & Tailmon, why Taichi and Yamato had that kind of relationship, and a lot of another "why" questions. I'd never feel how the old chosen children had grown up in 02, the difference in their behavior, etc.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    I wonder if incorporating the Zero Two kids would expand the audience? This is starting to sound more like a Tamers sequel than anything else, but why would they do that without Konaka? I'm really confused rn.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocifaptor View Post
    I wonder if incorporating the Zero Two kids would expand the audience? This is starting to sound more like a Tamers sequel than anything else, but why would they do that without Konaka? I'm really confused rn.
    As a 39 year old, I'm a huge fan of Digimon and I have to say my least favorite season was 02. I found the Armor Digivolving boring and the plot was kind of confusing. I'd like to see a Tamers sequel as it was my favorite season.

As a side note, I don't even count Fusion or Appli monsters as canon. It totally changed everything the first five seasons set up.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by magnaangemon01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocifaptor View Post
    As a 39 year old, I'm a huge fan of Digimon and I have to say my least favorite season was 02. I found the Armor Digivolving boring and the plot was kind of confusing. I'd like to see a Tamers sequel as it was my favorite season.

As a side note, I don't even count Fusion or Appli monsters as canon. It totally changed everything the first five seasons set up.
    3/4/5 aren't canon to 1/2 either. The vast majority of stuff is set in their own "canon", so "6/7" being "non canon" doesnt make too much sense. Saying "I don't count them as Digimon" would've made more sense

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    3/4/5 aren't canon to 1/2 either. The vast majority of stuff is set in their own "canon", so "6/7" being "non canon" doesnt make too much sense. Saying "I don't count them as Digimon" would've made more sense
    Hell, Frontier bulldozed through the established conventions of the franchise but that doesn't make it less canon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234