With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLCL: Progressive

FLCL: Progressive

Any interest among Digimon fandom to discuss the new FLCL series? FLCL is my favorite anime and we're halfway thru this new chapter. What do you think so far....???
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

I come from the net
    I heard the joke is that understanding isn't important for this show. That sounds true as I haven't really understood much of this new season. heh heh It's pretty good so far.

I really liked the dream sequence lead-in to Episode 1. It was fantastic! The music mixed with Hidomi's phone alarm was perfect. I was a bit less enthused when they did another dream sequence opening for Episode 2 ... it dilutes the impact of the first intro a bit IMO. I love Hidomi's headphones, though we don't know the deal with them yet... other than their Medical Mechanica-brand.... weird....

I really like Jinyu. Raharu is a bit meh in this story for me so far, though her reveal as the teacher was classic!!! That whole teacher role was hilarious! The idea of a split Haruko is a very interesting concept. It let the writers make Jinyu unique and interesting, taking the pressure off Haruko having to deliver... because I don't think it's possible to make a better Haruko than we got from the original. This story direction was a good idea. And Jinyu is super cool as a Raharu "opposite." I loved Episode 1, but have enjoyed 2 and 3 quite a bit less progressively (no pun intended.) I thought Hidomi was going to open-up a bit more as a character after her smile at Ide at the end of Episode 2, but the nothing really changed with Episode 3 which was a bit disappointing. My concern is Hidomi is supposed to be the main character, but I feel like we've spent way more time with Ide and Mori as characters... I'm still waiting for Hidomi to develop...

So far it's been interesting, but missing a lot of the nuance that made the original so great.... Also, Hidomi is in middle school, where are all the uniforms??? The original could get away with original clothing styles because Naota, Ninamori, Manabe and Masamune were all still in elementary school... just sayin'...
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

I come from the net
    If you want dev, how bout EP 4. That might give you enough of it for her. heh heh Only 2 eps left.

Red shirt
    I was in the shower yesterday and realized that I had completely forgotten this was coming out right now. I need to get on this ASAP.

Has anyone ever read the novels for the original OVA? My wife and I read through them a few months ago and it was crazy how much they fleshed out the world of the original.

I have the 3-volume light novel series. Not sure if that's what you're referring to drtome123?

Ep 4 was good. Totally unexpected! An opposite Hidome!
    Aiko and Masurao are interesting.... I'm suspicious that we can't see Masurao's eyebrows under his cap....

Those headphones are friggin amazing! But are they good or bad for Hidomi…?
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

I come from the net
    And those are the questions. Some of many. Will we get answers? No idea. We still don't have some from series 1.

Yeah, I'm actually okay with the lack of answers in FLCL. For me it was really all about Naota's coming-of-age story.... will he ever get out from under Tasuku's shadow? will he swing the bat? will he play the cat? can he get over his super cool self? All the other stuff: Haruko, guitars, the Vespa, Canti, Medical Mechanica, interdimensional robots…. those are all just wacky things that happen around Naota's growing-up story. Because you know, nothing amazing happens here.... (my favorite part of FLCL is Naota's transition from sweet to sour to bitter vending machine drinks... it's a good analogy)

If we get no real story from FLCL2 I'd probably be okay with it. What I'm looking for is a Hidomi story. I found Naota to be very relatable... I still don't really understand where Hidomi is coming from in a lot of places. Maybe a female perspective is needed here..?? Not sure... Episode 4 Hidomi was very.... interesting.... How much is Hidomi and how much is the headphones? I guess we'll find out....

The music has been pretty good (I got that alarm clock tune on my phone!) and the animation, not bad. I only find Raharu to be visually jarring in this series... but when Raharu and Jinyu are glowing red and blue, they look amazing!
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

I come from the net
    Well, the one things they needed for this whole thing to work, was the music. It wouldn't be half as good without it. And they got it.

So the guy that was working at the Immigration Center Orbit Elevator Area in Oozu City looked uncanily like Manjimutt from Yo-kai Watch.... I liked the softer animation style used for this episode, and the cut-away to Hidomi and her mom talking about closing the café was well done... I'm still confused by the opening animation... (oh well) The use of the amusement park, and Haruko dismissing the whole class to go there was hilarious! I love the play on romance at amusement parks (esp. Ferris wheels) and the "plan" to get N.O. from having kids mob the park. That whole Yuuya X Wataru thing was awesome! (and Yuuya was kind of cute) I love that FLCL2 went beyond the heteronormative with the pairings in letting couples into the park at a huge discount. The graphic was hilarious! Poor Mori.... (Combo 100)

I liked how Hidomi ended on this episode, apparently wanting Ide back and calling Haruko out on her obsession with Atomisk. Not sure what happened with Ide's uniform.... And I am still super-intrigued by Aiko, and what this flower plant is supposed to do.. Also, what was the deal with pregnant Haruko??? The class story gag was funny enough... getting married and retiring to become a housewife... but I feel like I'm missing something that was implied there.... anyway.... the FLCLimax is next (so-to-speak...)
    Kachikachi Kocchin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast