With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: V pet Maintanance question

Follow Wolfshark On Twitter Add Wolfshark on DeviantArt

V pet Maintanance question

So I'm gonna get one of those wave 2 pendulums once they go on preorder. I've always wanted a V-pet but never had the extra cash to get one up until now. With that in mind what do you guys do to keep these safe?

I plan to have it last decades if possible so that I can play around with it whenever muse strikes. So it won't be kept in a box on a shelf or anything. However I have a bad dust issue where I live, I hear dust can somehow get into the device and mess around with the pendulum contacts. I'm aware that this can be cleaned out with being careful and opening the device, but I'd rather evade doing this as much as I can.

Would keeping it in a air tight ziplock bag with some silica gel packets keep it safe? (Namely from dust and moisture while not in use) I'm aware that the batteries also need to be removed when I'm not gonna use it for a while.

Also do these devices have an internal battery? these can save your progress even after the battery dies so I assume this is either a battery based save system or a on board one. If it's the latter I won't be too worried since those tend to last quite some time.

I come from the net
    Your plan sounds fine. There's never been any additional batteries in the V-Pets and Digivices; it's probably flash memory or EEPROM. Though I'm a little concerned with the 20th V-Pets and how often they actually seem to save, whether they might eventually wear out whatever it is. Hopefully they were designed with enough extra save memory and decent wear-levelling!

Ah glad to hear. Cause my biggest concern with things like these is keeping them away from a LOT of dust.

As for the save system I really hope it's EEPROM, I doubt that saving up info on the current digimon you have and what you have unlocked so far requires a lot of storage.Though if it's' a battery I know how to replace some of those, I've opened old GBA carts for myself and friends (Namely pokemon gold and silver ones which had a bad batch) to change dead ones... I just hope it's not an uncommon battery though if it comes to that. I just prefer not to open devices too much, maybe once or twice in their lifetime. Also given how much these v-pets and pendulums cost I (at least hope) that there's some quality components in these things. I guess I need to do some hunting and see if anyone has opened one of these to see it's guts.

Small edit: Seeing how most vintage V pets still work if they were taken good care of I'd assume the new ones should be better.
    Last edited by Wolfshark; 06-16-2018 at 04:23 PM.

I come from the net
    Seriously, it's not going to be a battery.

I was talking about how the 20th V-Pet seems to save every time you do something with the Digimon, and it might even be every minute; so I hope they've done something reasonable with that.
    https://electronics.stackexchange.co...rollers-eeprom

The most common problem on vintage V-Pets (that were taken good care of) is the buttons stop working. I've opened a few of those recently to clean them out. I was surprised how much improvement I managed to get out of them, actually.

... Oh, and the shakers stop working on toys which have them. I've not had so much luck fixing those. Though I heard the Digivice 15th used a solid-state accelerometer and the shaker was just for show. Maybe they'll do that for the Pendulum 20th too. On the other hand, I also heard it's not so nice to use, because it doesn't match up perfectly and you can't feel what it's doing any more.
    Last edited by BladeSabre; 06-17-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added some stuff

Battery saves are pretty old system so I hope you are right. Some of them tend to be a pain to replace.

However what I do not like is the saving every minute... that sounds like the V-pet literally becomes a time bomb. I hope this is not the case of the pendulum, it would make more sense (and make a device last longer) if it instead saved once the battery was really low. So while I do know how to do a bit of electronics operations changing things like the EEPROM is more something my brother would do. Though if my Pendulum somehow was to die this would likely be the only option. And given how much these things cost I wanna keep em working and pretty forever lol. A shame I got no one around me with a broken device they don't mind parting with, I'd love to try and revive it.

As for buttons I have cleaned buttons before, never replaced them but I have a friend who could hook me up with some contact replacements if things go bad.

As for the shakers I think the video showcasing the original silver blue/black had a clear click to them... but as you mentioned they could be just for show. It is a bit of a downside but I suppose I could just live with it and just shake it really hard and fast. I've seen people fix some pendulums though, but it takes a lot of patience and careful hands. I think what tends to go wrong with the counter is that the spring wears out... but that mostly depends on the quality of the device. Older cheaper digivice models tended to have this part die. I hope the new pendulums have a better quality one otherwise it's a mega time bomb.

I come from the net
    Saving just when the battery gets really low wouldn't work too well. V-Pets can suddenly crash or lose power, and saving in advance is helpful in these cases. The Accel saves when your Digimon evolves. More often than that without saving every time you do something might actually not be good, as it would mess up counts for the evolution requirements...

Changing the EEPROM in a microcontroller isn't likely. Though sort of related, maybe ask your brother about this thread? (I think "inside" has given up.)
    https://withthewill.net/threads/1806...imon-V-Pet-PCB

On the other hand, even if the EEPROM does die, the V-Pet will probably still work. Losing your current Digimon when changing batteries is just like the old V-Pets, and the long-term save data is nice but not critical. (For people who went to some effort to unlock connection eggs, losing those would be really annoying of course.)

V-Pet 20th LOST SAVE DATA

So yesterday I booted up my V-Pet20th (Gray) saw the title (Digimon 20th with Graymon's head) but I was asked to enter my name without being given the load menu. I've boot it up many times and always been given the load menu could be be that the internal battery died or the flash memory failed to load?

Has this happened to anyone else?

I may have lost 3/4 months progress 40+ digimon in the album but I can raise it again along side the Pen20th so I will not feel as bad.

I come from the net
    The main question is whether it does it again. How long was it powered off for? If the flash/EEPROM has worn out, first it might reduce the time that the data can be held for.

There's probably some kind of checksum, so if one cell gets corrupted it refuses to load.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post
    The main question is whether it does it again. How long was it powered off for? If the flash/EEPROM has worn out, first it might reduce the time that the data can be held for.

There's probably some kind of checksum, so if one cell gets corrupted it refuses to load.
    I last booted it up about a month agoand it was fine, I got Agumon and removed the battery and put it back in several times each time I could load Agumon back each time.

I hope this was just a 1 time error.