With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like more lgbt representation in digimon?

Would you like more lgbt representation in digimon?

This thought came to my mind while recently completing Hackers Memory. I'll try not to spoil anything, but I was honestly pretty shocked with what they did with Yu's character. In the best way possible too. They really weren't holding anything back when it came to portraying him as a gay character who struggles with his sexuality and feelings that he can't control. Really beautiful. It made me wonder why it took so long for something like this to pop in digimon when it's always been a franchise that touched on such personal subjects.

Sure, with how large of a franchise Digimon is, it's no surprise that there are a few lgbt characters, or at least some heavily implied to be, scattered throughout the series. For digimon we've got Lordknightmon from Frontier and Gaomon from Savers, and for humans we've got Yuuko, Fei, and as previously stated, Yu from the cyber sleuth series. I would very much like to add Haru and Yuujin to this list but I know that's pretty debatable lol But I think it's about time we've gotten a gay character in the anime that's more than just a passing joke more mere implication. It doesn't even have to be relevant to the overall plot, just to know that there's a character who is in fact gay would be enough for me. How about you? Would you like to see more casual representation in the series?

gaomon is gay?
    didn't really got it from watching

sure that's not the same as lgbt representation but digimon has so many fujoshi pandering that i'm kinda tired of %90 of the things that are worth shipping being yaoi, kinda want hetero or yuri ships

well, maybe an actual gay character rather than the taichi yamato kind of shipbaiting could be unique, but can we really complain about lgbt representation when there isn't any hetero romance that isn't done for comedy or came out of nowhere?
    Last edited by boredmon; 06-05-2018 at 07:03 AM.

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasPSI View Post
    This thought came to my mind while recently completing Hackers Memory. I'll try not to spoil anything, but I was honestly pretty shocked with what they did with Yu's character. In the best way possible too. They really weren't holding anything back when it came to portraying him as a gay character who struggles with his sexuality and feelings that he can't control. Really beautiful. It made me wonder why it took so long for something like this to pop in digimon when it's always been a franchise that touched on such personal subjects.
    But if you pick the "I love you" option, it gets followed up with "gotcha" or something. That was really mean!

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post
    But if you pick the "I love you" option, it gets followed up with "gotcha" or something. That was really mean!
    I was so disappointed by that but I guess they really wanted to push the Keisuke and Erika relationship : (
    Quote Originally Posted by boredmon View Post
    gaomon is gay?

sure that's not the same as lgbt representation but digimon has so many fujoshi pandering that i'm kinda tired of %90 of the things that are worth shipping being yaoi, kinda want hetero or yuri ships

well, maybe an actual gay character rather than the taichi yamato kind of shipbaiting could be unique, but can we really complain about lgbt representation when there isn't any hetero romance that isn't done for comedy or came out of nowhere?
    Gaomon might be more up in the air but in the final episode special, Lalamon and Agumon tease Gaomon about his feelings for Touma. Where Gaomon starts to get flustered when he comes to the realization that his feelings for Touma might be romantic. I think it's pretty comparable to Dokamon and Eri actually.

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    i donīt mind lgbt characters if they are good written, they shoudnīt be included just for the purpose of being lgbt.
    in any case, does it really come up that much? they mostly have to deal with more importnat things then that, though i guess the shipping in Digimon will always be strong, then again those are mostly just hints at who has a crush on whoever and mostly ainīt a big relationship in the series, i kinda feel that we ainīt gonna get much beyond shipping be it hetero or homo.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post
    I was so disappointed by that but I guess they really wanted to push the Keisuke and Erika relationship : (
    Quote Originally Posted by boredmon View Post
    gaomon is gay?

Gaomon might be more up in the air but in the final episode special, Lalamon and Agumon tease Gaomon about his feelings for Touma. Where Gaomon starts to get flustered when he comes to the realization that his feelings for Touma might be romantic. I think it's pretty comparable to Dokamon and Eri actually.
    which special? i only watched the normal anime
    i don't really think they would imply digimon x human without it being portrayed as comedy (even though i'm a ruki x rena shipper.)

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Meh we're fine. There's two gays in HM. I guess you could say they could put gay people to the anime but we don't NEED gay characters we need GOOD characters. If that character happens to be gay then cool. We don't need them shoe horned in to make up a quota.

Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?

Anyways, sure, I guess? The anime never really goes all the way with that stuff in the first place, just teasing with everybody. I'm fine with it as long as it falls under the usual conditions of not detracting from the main story, not being just a joke, etc. I'd particularly like if they didn't pull something like they did with Haru again, where he's introduced as head over heels for Ai, and then half way through the show he suddenly shifts all of his thoughts to Yuujin. That goes for all romances/characters of course, not just lgbt ones.

I would be quite pleased to see more in the future, being lesbian myself I like seeing positive representation. I hated what they did with Yu though! Going into spoilers here so turn back now if you don’t want them! I disliked that the whole plotline with K took up such a large chunk of the game, and then got pretty much completely abandoned after you defeat Matadormon, barring the one little scene at the end of the game where Yu comes back to help you. He was gay, got manipulated by a Digimon, then everything involving that was pretty much abandoned. It felt like they were too afraid to really deal with him as a character after the reveal, and it made the pacing in the game feel super bad.

Digimon is a franchise that has always had a strong appeal to adult women in Japan due to its whole queerbaiting thing though, I highly doubt that is going anywhere. Since people keep mentioning the potential for a Tamers sequel that is aimed at adults, I would love to see Ruki confirmed as being lesbian. Currently I think the closest we have to a canon gay character in the anime would be Haru and Yuujin, which I did like a lot

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    To be totally honest, I don't really care. I'm not into Digimon for the romance. I'm really not a romantic person at all – despite being technically straight, for all practical purposes I'm asexual (I guess what people would call aromantic), and have a hard time even caring about heterosexual romantic pairings. As far as Digimon goes, a character's sexuality rarely has a bearing on the plot anyway, and I have no problem with that. Nothing wrong with gay characters, but as others have said, quota-filling and tokenism should be avoided.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast