With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like more lgbt representation in digimon?

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Absolutely yes!! Haru is my favourite Goggle Boy in Digimon, because he's probably the one I could identify more with for many reasons...The background of Yu is my favourite one in the Cyber Sleuth series and it's hands down my favpurite character, so yeah...children need to understand that homosexuality is something as natural as being blond, brunette or red-haired, and not something you need to be adult to understand.

By the way, I know LordKnightmon is considered kinda a "gay" icon in Digimon, but being effeminate doesn't mean being gay, while being gay doesn't mean being effeminate lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    So I guess maybe a "closest to two who could actually date" but for actual real LGBT, we have two. I'm sure one day Yu will find a big sexy muscle man to cuddle him and shit.

Poor Fei though, she's yandere level for Yuuko, so she'll never find another girl she wants lol
    Well when you consider the end of the CS games...

Erika isn't around, so if you think Keisuke could be gay, Yu has a shot now. (Personally I ship Keisuke and Yuuko. :P)

As for Fei, she could still find somebody. For all we know, she and Yuuko might not even meet in the new timeline.

Add KaenKazui on DeviantArt Add KaenKazui on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I myself discuss it in terms of romance because without romance a character's sexual orientation is sort of a moot point. People and characters don't usually announce their sexual orientation apropos of nothing. It would be weird to have a character just say, "Hey guys, I'm gay. Thought you should know." I guess it might come up if you have a villain molesting someone, but Digimon doesn't really do that sort of thing.
    Actually that is basically, what "coming out" is all about. To come clean with the people around you, to make clear who you are, so that they do not continue to have wrong impressions about you. Sure, in many cases it happens, because you want to soften up the people around you, to introduce your first romantic partner, but not necessarily.

Especially with the themes Digimon tends to work with, I could perfectly see a character, who is aware of their own sexuality (whatever it might be) and finds themselves wanting to come clean with the people around them, wanting to just have somebody, anybody to talk about their feelings, as they are still confused about what this all means to them. Maybe they are afraid of disappointing their parents. Maybe they are generally unsure of themselves, but cannot figures themselves out without talking about it.

As I said: Digimon has always have a big thing for kids figuring out stuff about themselves, their lives, their friends and families, while going on Adventures with monsters.
    Be it how to deal with the parents divorce (Yamato, Takeru), with expectations your parents hold for you (Jyou), being unable to communicate with friends and family about one thing or another (Sora, Koushiro, Takato), having a dead family member (Iori, Ken), being forced into roles one might not want (Ruki), dealing with ones problems to fit into a group (basically all of Frontier) and so on. It is in a way very appropriate to have being LGBTIQA* in any way in there, too, as it certainly is a thing many kids and young teens in the age range of the heroes in Digimon struggle with.

I (as an enby bisexual) would find that actually in a way more appropriate and respectful, then just having a confirmed gay couple.

Though there are also other scenerious, if one wants a "trigger" for a coming out, could think of. Maybe have a guy being very flirtatious towards a female character (like with Daisuke and Hikari) and the girl actually at some point saying: "Alright. This is enough. I will never be intrested in you, because I am not into guys." Or be it, that a character is pressured, like Ruki, by a parent to perform gender and the parent asking about a boyfriend and the girl being like "If anything I will bring home a girlfriend." Something like that.

And again: LGBT is more then LGB.

There is the T, too. Transsexuality has nothing to do with being in a relationship. Transfolks can be in relationship, but that does not make them trans.
    Same goes for enby-people like me.

And then there are aroace people. Who by definition are not into romance or sex.

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    well they are still mostly kids who ainīt really have a developed sexual interest yet and then we have teens, who can be a bit advanterogous at that age trying different things out and relationships that donīt last very long, so seeing some main characters hook up at that stage would feel weird.
    as for transgender, well i guess there is always Yu and some tomboys around, also we are still talking about a series made in Japan, they are kinda conservative in all those regard anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    People and characters don't usually announce their sexual orientation apropos of nothing. It would be weird to have a character just say, "Hey guys, I'm gay. Thought you should know." I guess it might come up if you have a villain molesting someone, but Digimon doesn't really do that sort of thing.
    Exactly. This reminds me of a line of dialogue early in a manga called "Eden" when a side character's sexuality is revealed when the topic of christianity comes up and his response is "Even if I were christian, a homosexual like me would still end up burning in hell." (I still love that manga that was certainly one of its more jarring character moments)

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemomon View Post
    I don't know Digimon games very much, but I think Haru x Yuujin is the closest to LGBT what we get. At least in the anime. Maybe except Koushirou saying to Tentomon that he loves him in the last episode of Adventure.
    While I could make a case for Haru X Yuujin (except I won't, because I don't care about shipping), the bond between Koushirou and Tentomon is more platonic love than anything romantic. Same goes for all the partners really, so that's completely irrelevant to whether any given character is gay or straight or whatever. Sora says that same line to Piyomon earlier in the series, at least in the English dub, but I very much doubt that she's into birds - if you'll pardon the pun.
    Last edited by wildwing64; 05-04-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Junior Commander AliceKaninchenbau's Avatar
    Follow AliceKaninchenbau On Twitter Visit AliceKaninchenbau's Youtube Channel Add AliceKaninchenbau on DeviantArt
    Do we need straight characters? I mean I don't mind them but forcing heteros into a story where they're not needed is just unnececary and pandering :/// It'd just feel forced, and writers shouldn't have to feel like they have to put heteros in their story if they don't want to. Not to mention we don't really need to promote that straight lifestyle to kids either :///

(No but really. I'd love to see LGBT characters well represented in this franchise. Sadly I have little to no trust for writers to do that well (the "onee" charicature in Japanese media is a thing after all and I don't need that)... The least I'd like to see would be like, less heteronormative families/couples among Digimon. Like c'mon, Digimon ain't got gender, no need to give Cutemon the most heteronormative parents in existence. Let Leomon and Orgamon get married. Neemon and Bokomon too. If ya can't give me LGBT humans, fine, just give me gay Digimon instead, I'll gladly take that)

Neemon and Bokomon AREN'T married?!

Neemon is the one who wears the pants in that relationship.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaioumon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    So I guess maybe a "closest to two who could actually date" but for actual real LGBT, we have two. I'm sure one day Yu will find a big sexy muscle man to cuddle him and shit.

Poor Fei though, she's yandere level for Yuuko, so she'll never find another girl she wants lol
    Well when you consider the end of the CS games...

Erika isn't around, so if you think Keisuke could be gay, Yu has a shot now. (Personally I ship Keisuke and Yuuko. :P)

As for Fei, she could still find somebody. For all we know, she and Yuuko might not even meet in the new timeline.
    Lol true, maybe he'll try it now.

Even Lillymon is gone who loves him too.

Damn it's Yu's time to shine.

I'm stright and wouldn't have gone for Yu at all but I wouldn't have minded if Keisuke wound up dating him, I think it would've been a good ending
    Last edited by Muur; 06-05-2018 at 05:54 PM.

You guys missed an obvious example of lgbt representation

i know he's a npc and not a main or important character but, he's not a walking stereotype nor it's a shipbait kind of situation, dude just casually says he's gay that's cool

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast