With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like more lgbt representation in digimon?

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I don't think Yuuko is gay at all. Or even straight. I'd say she's asexual. She's a mid 20s girl and the only thing she gives a shit about is eating. Even in the "dating events" with her in Hacker's Memory, she just talks about food and asks if Keisuke is making sure to eat. You COULD count that as a "hint she likes Keisuke" but if you do, that's her stright not gay. Still though she's likely either Asexual or foodsexual

Quote Originally Posted by Vaioumon View Post
    Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?

Anyways, sure, I guess? The anime never really goes all the way with that stuff in the first place, just teasing with everybody. I'm fine with it as long as it falls under the usual conditions of not detracting from the main story, not being just a joke, etc. I'd particularly like if they didn't pull something like they did with Haru again, where he's introduced as head over heels for Ai, and then half way through the show he suddenly shifts all of his thoughts to Yuujin. That goes for all romances/characters of course, not just lgbt ones.
    I listed the others because other characters in their respective series have openly considered them gay and there's enough evidence to back them up. As much as I would like to consider Haru and Yuujin, the only one who seemed to think they had a thing was Gatchmon when they were on their date.
    Quote Originally Posted by boredmon View Post
    which special? i only watched the normal anime
    i don't really think they would imply digimon x human without it being portrayed as comedy (even though i'm a ruki x rena shipper.)
    http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Agumon...en_Last_Battle!
    It is played off more as comedy, like when Nokia is poking fun at Fei for liking Yuuko.
    Agumon: Who do you think is more important to Tohma? Gaomon or Relena?
    Gaomon: You shouldn’t even bother comparing that! The bond between me and master is… my love for master is…! But then…! But… um…
    Lalamon: I think we just flicked on a switch that we shouldn’t have…
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    I don't think Yuuko is gay at all. Or even straight. I'd say she's asexual. She's a mid 20s girl and the only thing she gives a shit about is eating. Even in the "dating events" with her in Hacker's Memory, she just talks about food and asks if Keisuke is making sure to eat. You COULD count that as a "hint she likes Keisuke" but if you do, that's her stright not gay. Still though she's likely either Asexual or foodsexual
    Oh yeah I totally see Yuuko as being asexual as well. Especially when she says to Keisuke that Fei is on another level than anybody, but she wouldn't exactly call her a girlfriend. I consider asexuality as lgbt too though which is why I listed her in this thread.
    Last edited by LucasPSI; 06-05-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Could they try? Maybe. But pulling it off sensibly is the harder thing and it might simply not be worth the effort or risk.

Quote Originally Posted by LucasPSI View Post
    It made me wonder why it took so long for something like this to pop in digimon when it's always been a franchise that touched on such personal subjects.
    Because it's a Japanese franchise targeted at children. In a medium where there's isn't that big of a chance of homosexuality to be used as something other than a punchline or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by boredmon View Post
    sure that's not the same as lgbt representation but digimon has so many fujoshi pandering that i'm kinda tired of %90 of the things that are worth shipping being yaoi, kinda want hetero or yuri ships
    I feel that the creators don't really have much impact on who or what fans want to ship and besides the odd tease and neither have fan tendencies that much of an impact on future products.

Quote Originally Posted by LucasPSI View Post
    Gaomon might be more up in the air but in the final episode special, Lalamon and Agumon tease Gaomon about his feelings for Touma. Where Gaomon starts to get flustered when he comes to the realization that his feelings for Touma might be romantic. I think it's pretty comparable to Dokamon and Eri actually.
    So it's "proof" from a non-canon special that consists mostly of fourth wall breaking snide comments and let's not forget that right before this, Gaomon alleges that "Master's feelings for Miss Relena aren't ordinary." which would quite unfortunate to take take seriously.

foodsexual
    I believe there was also some slight subtext in tri that Agumon might swing in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    foodsexual
    I believe there was also some slight subtext in tri that Agumon might swing in that direction.
    I now ship Agumon and Yuuko

It's not something I really thought about until recently, given that the TV animes follow young kids and thus even heterosexual romance is bearly touched upon.

I certainly don't mind it, but like romance in general, I'd wouldn't want it to be a character's defining trait.

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    there is also Hikari and ice cream, the plot thikens.

Add KaenKazui on DeviantArt Add KaenKazui on Google+
    I honestly have to say, that I do not get, why everybody is talking about romance. You guys are aware that characters can be gay, without actually being in a relationship, right? I mean, a character can just say, that they are gay or a lesbian or whatever. No relationship required. Heck, adding an officially aroace character would also be interesting. Just saying.

And being transgender or gender nonconforming would also totally not require any romance whatsoever. It would just require talking about it. A bit. Just a tiny bit.

Even though: Yes, it would be awesome to have an officially gay couple in the series. Though I consider Haru/Yuujin (by the way: Eri makes notice of that one, too, not only Gatchmon) probably the closest we will get in that regard.

Oh, and then there is Manga!Nene. Who basically is saying, she is into whoever, if the person can impress her. She is hitting hard on Akari and in that scene is basically outright saying, that she is pansexual.

Generally I think it would perfectly fit the Digimon formular, as Digimon has always had a core topic of "children/young teen dealing with normal problems, while fighting big bad monsters together with their cute monster companions". And having trouble accepting the own sexuality or to come out to ones parents would certainly be such a topic.

Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?.
    Agreed.

I don't know Digimon games very much, but I think Haru x Yuujin is the closest to LGBT what we get. At least in the anime. Maybe except Koushirou saying to Tentomon that he loves him in the last episode of Adventure.

I certainly don't mind having that subject in Digimons, I would like if they would take it seriously if they would wanted to include it in the series. I wouldn't really want it to turn into a comedy element.
    Speedy like wind, gradually like forest, aggressively like fire, immovably like mountain, secretly like shadow, actively like thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemomon View Post
    Can I just say how weird it is that you list LordKnightmon, Gaomon, and Yuuko, but then say Haru and Yuujin don't quite count?.
    Agreed.

I don't know Digimon games very much, but I think Haru x Yuujin is the closest to LGBT what we get. At least in the anime. Maybe except Koushirou saying to Tentomon that he loves him in the last episode of Adventure.

I certainly don't mind having that subject in Digimons, I would like if they would take it seriously if they would wanted to include it in the series. I wouldn't really want it to turn into a comedy element.

Well, Fei and Yu are outright confirmed gay. Fei is in a one sided love with Yuuko, who care more about food (but does state that Fei is "special to her" and Fei accepts this), whist Yu is in a one sided love for Keisuke, who canon loves Erika (which is proven canon as a Lotosmon has the power to have the person youre in love with appear into your mind and then tries to trick you into giving up your credit card info. Keisuke was about to do it until he was attacked by Erika herself like wtf are you doing retard situation. he then never states WHO he saw, cuz shy 16 year old.

So I guess maybe a "closest to two who could actually date" but for actual real LGBT, we have two. I'm sure one day Yu will find a big sexy muscle man to cuddle him and shit.

Poor Fei though, she's yandere level for Yuuko, so she'll never find another girl she wants lol

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by KaenKazui View Post
    I honestly have to say, that I do not get, why everybody is talking about romance. You guys are aware that characters can be gay, without actually being in a relationship, right? I mean, a character can just say, that they are gay or a lesbian or whatever. No relationship required. Heck, adding an officially aroace character would also be interesting. Just saying.

And being transgender or gender nonconforming would also totally not require any romance whatsoever. It would just require talking about it. A bit. Just a tiny bit.
    I myself discuss it in terms of romance because without romance a character's sexual orientation is sort of a moot point. People and characters don't usually announce their sexual orientation apropos of nothing. It would be weird to have a character just say, "Hey guys, I'm gay. Thought you should know." I guess it might come up if you have a villain molesting someone, but Digimon doesn't really do that sort of thing.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast