With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: The Original Chosen's Crests and The Four Holy Beasts

The Original Chosen's Crests and The Four Holy Beasts

So, I want to discuss this topic with premise from Part 4 and 02's Episode 37. Do you think that the Original Chosens have Crests? If they were to have Crests, what would their Crests be?

Qinglongmon is related to Hope and Light, would that imply that his partner holds those two attributes similar to the 02's Duo Attributes? If so, I would pair Zhuqiaomon with Courage and Love, Xuanwumon with Purity and Reliability, and Baihumon with Friendship and Knowledge. I can see other combinations working as well.

Alternatively, based on the "Prophecy" in Part 4, maybe their Crests are actually the Elements as in Hope and Light (or just Light), Fire, Water, and Earth in that Order. Himekawa may actually be Darkness. Or, Qinglongmon's Partner is Hope and her is Light. What do you think?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I donít have anything to say about Crests, but the Four Holy Beasts are associated with the five elements of the Wu Xing.

Huanglongmon - Earth
    Qinglongmon - Wood
    Zhuqiaomon - Fire
    Baihumon - Metal
    Xuanwumon - Water

In the voiceover for Part 4ís flashback, however, the four Classical elements are mentioned, along with light and darkness. Wood in the Wu Xing is associated with wind, but Metal has no Classical equivalent, and of course light and darkness are absent from both systems.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I donít have anything to say about Crests, but the Four Holy Beasts are associated with the five elements of the Wu Xing.

Huanglongmon - Earth
    Qinglongmon - Wood
    Zhuqiaomon - Fire
    Baihumon - Metal
    Xuanwumon - Water

In the voiceover for Part 4ís flashback, however, the four Classical elements are mentioned, along with light and darkness. Wood in the Wu Xing is associated with wind, but Metal has no Classical equivalent, and of course light and darkness are absent from both systems.
    Yes, I am aware of the Elemental and Seasonal Associations of The Holy Beasts. Since the Prophecy seems to relate them to the Four Elements and Light and Darkness, I found it interesting as an alternative. If we can have a Crest of Light, Crests of Classical Elements would not be too farfetched.

Well, the crests are not shown.
    What if the crests are a new invention, made for the Taichi group, so as to better channel their traits into the Digimon?
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by pepito123 View Post
    Well, the crests are not shown.
    What if the crests are a new invention, made for the Taichi group, so as to better channel their traits into the Digimon?
    Yes, I can see that being the case. This is half speculation and half what-ifs really.

I come from the net
    Oh hey yeah. That makes a lot of sense. They made the Crests for the current set. Makes a lot of sense. Then they didn't/couldn't use them for 02. ...Minus Ken.

That actually gives me an interesting thought. We know that the typical Crests are a common theme in the Adventure universe, but they haven't exactly been associated with the original team thus far (haven't seen part 6 yet, though). What if the Crests were devised because the original team almost failed? It seems somewhat logical that the crests may also be able to sort of channel energy via filtering. That way, instead of simply harnessing "emotional energy" (compare to wild Digimon in Savers), the energy has to come through that trait. Think of it like their digital hearts shining light through a colored filter. This would generally prevent a sadness-evolution or an anger-evolution. We can chalk SkullGreymon's appearance through a corrupted sense of courage (but where Courage was still present). Ophanimon Falldown Mode could possibly be attributed to the loss of the physical crests before tri. or some corruption of Kari's light (either the balance with darkness or a shift toward self-righteousness in the moment). Alternatively, the fact that both were due to strong emotions may support the buffering idea if the energy output were beyond the original parameters designed for the Crests.

So in that vein, it may be possible that the ties to the Holy Beasts is more after-the-fact than of common origin. Example: Azulongmon was found to have digivolved through the manifestation of Light and Hope, so these were among the crests of interest; Zhuquiaomon through the manifestation of Courage and Love; Ebonwumon (Xuanwumon) through the manifestation of Purity (Sincerity) and Sincerity (Reliability); and Baihumon through Friendship and Knowledge. Kindness is left just sort of "there" as the awkward 9th Crest (which is generally surmised to have been created at a different time than the other Crests).

The pairings that seem semi-logical are interesting as well and really seem to complement each other. Love balances Courage, and Courage gives action to Love. The two that have been called Sincerity are difficult to separate - this is one case where I'll emphasize the original over the dub as this seems to give some clarity. My best understanding would be Purity (Sincerity) of mind and Sincerity (Reliability) of actions. Friendship softens Knowledge, and Knowledge enlightens friendship. Hope looks to Light in a darkened world, and Light is the realization of Hope. It also seems interesting that many sets seem to have a state of mind paired with a state of action, but that well may just be apopheny instead of epiphany.

Completely digital
    When Dark Gennai faced Hikari and Takeru in Part 6, he implied that Ophanimon Falldown Mode appeared because something went wrong with the new prophecy.

The prophecy is about overcome the internal darkness (probably related to the crest), but she was consumed by darkness when his brother dissapeared. I still wonder if Yggdrasil had some influence on her at the end of Part 5.

I don't think Ophanimon Falldown Mode represents balance. In Adventure universe, "Darkness" tend to be an negative force (which will always exist).

Azunlogmon in 02 just said that the crests of Light and Hope released him, because these are different from the others crests.

It is not said if Azunlongmon has any special connection to the crests of Light and Hope. It is not said that the other Holy Beasts have connection with the other crests either.
    Last edited by Kon; 05-18-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Qinglongmon says that the Crests of Light and Hope were the ones that freed him. We donít know if thereís any deeper connection.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    The Crests are a really good idea as a whole concept in the anime of Adventure, but whenever you try to fit it in the continuity of the Adventure-verse considering the animes, games and novels, it may become truly inconsistent and you get frustrated really fast.