With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had the option to play Pokemon Red or Pokemon FireRed, which would you take?

Question If you had the option to play Pokemon Red or Pokemon FireRed, which would you take?

I always found it jarring that people liked Pokemon RGB over Pokemon FRLG because I feel as though Red and Blue are both dated AND glitchy. It feels like nostalgia is fueling the favoritism over the remakes.

What are some of your reasons for choosing one over the other?

I come from the net
    As a kid I played Red, Yellow, Gold and Sapphire. I replayed them recently plus FireRed and SoulSilver. FireRed doesn't do it for me at all - it seems like the same not-really-that-great game but missing the old feeling that made it fun. In contrast, SoulSilver is a nicely-done upgrade, and nails the nostalgia factor too.

I skipped Gen III because it was the time where got out of Pokemon. I came back in with Gen IV, so going back to play Gen III felt super weird and I've never liked those games for that reason. I'd rather just go with the nostalgia of R/B, tbh. Plus the easy Mew is nice and if I dig out my N64, I can do stuff with Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post
    As a kid I played Red, Yellow, Gold and Sapphire. I replayed them recently plus FireRed and SoulSilver. FireRed doesn't do it for me at all - it seems like the same not-really-that-great game but missing the old feeling that made it fun. In contrast, SoulSilver is a nicely-done upgrade, and nails the nostalgia factor too.
    Are you saying that both games weren't really that great or just FireRed?

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    FireRed is the same game but with more content. The main reason to get Red would be to get it on 3DS, so you can transfer Pokemon directly into gen 7, rather than gen 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7

I mean, I'm playing Blue right now on the 3DS VC and I would much rather play RBY over FRLG. I'm really enjoying it so far. I don't have anything against FRLG and I think the expanded content is really cool, but I'm nostalgic for the old artwork, the old music/sounds, the general atmosphere of it all. I feel that atmosphere is different in FRLG.

Sure, it's fueled by nostalgia, like you said -- but why is that a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by AquaVersus View Post
    Sure, it's fueled by nostalgia, like you said -- but why is that a bad thing?
    Just that it feels like saying that you would rather live in the middle ages, as though it was like a fantasy RPG. I feel like nostalgia is nostalgia because it's bad. While I prefer Emerald over ORAS, it's because there lots of features that I liked in RSE were taken out or not implemented well.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 04-16-2018 at 07:14 PM.

But doesnít something similar hold true for RBY and FRLG? There were things changed in FRLG ó the sprites, the artwork, additional Pokťmon, more content, expanded story ó and thatís not the game I played for hundreds of hours as a kid. Itís not a bad new experience. FRLG is great. But wanting to relive your childhood memories isnít always a bad thing just because a better version of that thing exists.

Peopleís memories and cherished thoughts arenít always assuaged by new features etc. I donít think itís that simple.

Iím not sure how old you are (Iím on mobile so if youíve shared your age itís not showing for me) but do you have anything youíre nostalgic about?
    Last edited by AquaVersus; 04-14-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Literally nothing was removed from RB in FRLG. I played RB as a kid and let me tell you, FRLG are better in every way. Just because someone played it as a kid doesn't make it better than the enhanced version. They fixed the ridiculous amount of glitches and Psychic isn't broken, Ghost, Bug and Poison type had errors (admitted by them), speed and crits broken. Nearly everything in the game doesn't work right and they fixed most of them in gen 2.

Also, FRLG are 15 years old. I literlaly played both gen 1 and FRLG as a little kid. So nostalgia would hold for both.

I didnít say anything was removed from RB, I was just saying theyíre not the same games as FRLG. I also didnít say they were better than FRLG.

You might have nostalgia for both FRLG and RB but I was just answering the OPís question, or trying to anyway, from my own perspective which has nothing to do with being nostalgic for FRLG.

People are allowed to prefer ďworseĒ games even if they know better versions exist. As long as it doesnít get out of hand, thereís nothing wrong with enjoying something out of nostalgia.

TLDR: FRLG are the better games. I still prefer RBY out of nostalgia. And I actually like GSC more than RBY.
    Last edited by AquaVersus; 04-14-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast