With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: USA tri. Part 4 Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Release- Review, Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps

USA tri. Part 4 Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Release- Review, Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps

It's time for Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 Loss after another short wait!

We've had a few months since Part 3, but less of a wait when you consider we knew it was showing in theaters since last year. And then the day after the screening Shout announced when it'd be out on home video!

There is less than 2 weeks until the general release, and anyone who pre-ordered from Shout should either have it, or it should be on the way.

Very little scanning and editing on the scans in this one, things simply went smoothly.

There may be spoilers for Part 4 given below, just a small warning.

First, a short jump into the story.

Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 - Loss picks up immediately after the end of Part 3.

Part 4 overall goes right through it's story in a more direct way than perhaps what we've seen before. Events move through and happen quickly overall.

The kids have found their Digimon after the reboot. They're aware the Digimon don't know who they are, but they are eager to see if the relationships they had can be rebuilt.

With the group at their weakest, The Mysterious Man decides this is the time to reveal himself. And this is on top of the fact that the kids have found out that Meicoomon still has her memories.

Overall I have less to say here overall compares to Parts 1, 2, and 3 because I've actually discussed tri. Part 4 on our podcast a few times, where I went in depth on nearly every aspect of it:
    WtW Podcast Episode 3, Victor and I discuss it in detail shortly after it came out.
    WtW Podcast Episode 26, After seeing the dub in theaters AR and I discuss our thoughts on the dub with some questions from May.
    WtW Podcast Episode 28, AR and I talk with Jeff Nimoy about his entire history with the franchise. Part 4 came up a decent amount in it.

To say a bit more though, I like Part 4. It continues the story well, with it's primary flaw likely being the speed that it runs past certain elements (outside of Biyomon, all the kids relationships are set properly with the Digimon within the first few minutes, outside of some confusion from Tentomon.)

The English dub of tri. Part 4 keeps up the more focused job we've seen recently.

The script is reasonably accurate to the Japanese version, with perhaps one significant change regarding stating who the Mysterious Man is (it's hard to know if it's a change or not, since we don't know what information about tri. overall they may have.)

The cast returns for Part 4, which is expected.

Part 4 is very Sora heavy, which makes it the Colleen O'Shaughnessey show. Sora doesn't seem to carry it on her shoulders like characters did in Parts 1 and 2 especially, but Sora's general sadness and frustration comes through well.

It being Sora's turn to 'play the lead' in Part 4 means O'Shaughnessey gets to show more range with Sora than we tend to see. Sora's role tends to be the one who helps make sure everyone else finds their balance, so seeing her off kilter is always interesting (if something that tends to be a bit rare.)

On top of her, the standout for Part 4 certainly has to be Jeff Nimoy as The Mysterious Man/Gennai. It feels like the character is played with some swagger, and Nimoy certainly sounds like he's enjoying playing the villain. Gennai's role in Adventure and 02 meant he was a somewhat vanilla type mentor when he showed up, and this version of Gennai, as played by Nimoy, has an incredible presence every time he appears. The mentor role for him was appealing, as his actors always played him well, but seeing him stroll onscreen and just fill it with energy works insanely well.

Generally it also feels like this is the first time that Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 has had no scripting oddities in the English dub (or perhaps the second based on how you view some bits in Part 1.)

It'd be nice to get updated cast lists for new characters, since much like Part 2 and 3, it appears we will have to try and track that information down on our own. A few lists online show purported cast changes and new castings, and by going by ear the lists appear somewhat accurate (Angemon and his evolutions do sound like Jamieson Price in Part 4 for example.)

I was able to get in touch with English director Ryan Johnston to see if we could get a cast list update. Unfortunately he can't release cast information, only Toei can do that.

So for now we have to go by whatever info we can get from actors, our ears, and looking around online. As mentioned above Jamieson Price appears to have taken over Angemon. Colleen O'Shaughnessey has also confirmed she played Tapirmon (her first actual Digimon!) And it appears Hackmon is Aaron LaPlante.

The standouts of the new voice is certainly Hackmon. He only really has his speech, but the voice is so amusingly deep and serious, it's hard to not love it.

A few small additional notes... (Most of these are the same as we've seen before.)

The ending credits are shorter than the version on the Japanese disk. The actual ED footage in a window box is the same as on the Japanese version, but the credits have been shortened and a shorter version of the ED theme is used so that all 3 elements end at roughly the same time.

The only visual tweak to the film itself is the dialogue cards at the beginning during the 'flashback' have been changed to English.

The logo used in film is the Japanese logo.

Onto the product itself!

Any screencaps from the Blu-ray, DVD, or digital copies are lossless PNGs.

Most images in the article are smaller copies from our gallery (to keep loading sizes smaller for everyone), but link to the full sized versions when clicked.

Scanning was done at a high quality, and compressed and shrunk to reasonable sizes, along with reasonable quality JPG compression. I've explained my workflow in my personal thread and will answer any questions involving it or the processes used.

First up will be the physical stuff.

The front cover uses the well known theatrical poster art for tri. Part 4. The logo is the English version of the tri. logo with blue backing so that the text is easier to read. They've also added a small 'slide' to the left of the bottom part of the logo in a brownish color with the title of Part 4, Loss. The top has a reddish brown colored bar listing Blu-ray and DVD. This being probably the best known part of artwork specific to Part 4, it makes sense to use.

The logo placement seems to work better here than it has in previous US releases.

The back cover has a general plot description for Part 4. Nothing major to mention here, as the choices for overall layout works well and there are no oddities at a glance.

They also tell us the extra. We also get a few cropped screenshots, along with a full list of product specs and info at the bottom.

The UPC code was partially clipped out, so I've removed the rest of it.

Because I could scan it flat since the entire thing was an insert, we also have the spine of the insert. This uses the English 'straight' tri. logo version nicely, combining the red and brownish motif the packaging goes with in a way that looks quite clean.

The Blu-ray comes with a slipcover (in an o-card shape) that is made out a nice cardstock. The slipcover front, back, and side are all reasonably the same as the main insert. The main changes are the mention of the digital copy on the front and back. I assume once the digital copy is no longer offered, Shout will simply will stop including the slipcover, and they won't have to revise the packaging any further.

The front has a sticker on it mentioning tri. Part 4 being new, it having both audio tracks, along with a mention of the special feature.

The back has a square cut out of it so the UPC is visible through the slipcover.

The spines on both sides were identical to those on the insert, and since the insert scan was simply better than I could have gotten on the spine of the slipcover, it didn't seem worth scanning those.

The Blu-ray case itself is a relatively standard Blu-ray case, which means that it isn't just colored blue, it's also see thru.

This time the other side of the insert is a shot of Meicoomon with a red tiny to it. The image fits well in the space, and the credits are laid out well.

While we've seen it a few times, I rather like the credits being printed this way on the reverse with a piece of art. It just look nice.

The clipped out portion can be seen here. I will try and swap it out when my retail copy arrives.

The physical Blu-ray and DVD continue the usage of red.

They look nice with just a character art image of Biyomon this time around along with the red motif. The coloring on the DVD appears slightly more vivid.

No physical extras, except the digital copy slip.

The code has been blanked out. It's a basic redemption information sheet, that gives you instructions that are very clear.

An ad insert is also included for the upcoming theatrical premiere of Digimon Adventure tri. Part 5 - Coexistence.

The inserts cover up one disc when inserted into the case. Koenma seems pleased with this.

And that's it for the physical... onto the disc contents itself!

The video is encoded using AVC at an average bitrate of roughly 25 Mbps. Good bitrate for animated content. tri. Part 4 is encoded at 1080p and 24 frames per second. The bitrate is roughly the same as the US release of tri. Part 2, which is on the lower end of tri. in the US, but about in the middle of what it's had in Japan.

tri. on Blu-ray looks great, which has been consistent for nearly every tri. Blu-ray.

The video quality itself is roughly what we expected. Everything is digital animation, so it looks great. You occasionally get a background or some other detail that isn't aliased that well, but that's par for the course for animated content. One thing to note is dark scenes look quite good. On occasion you will see some very mild banding but it doesn't seem to be to much of an issue.

There are slightly off frames if you pick and choose, and the occasional stilted bit of animation, which is normal in animation when you pick and choose what to show, but the encode on the Blu-ray itself is relatively pristine.

The English audio is a 5.1 lossless DTS-HD Master Audio track. Good lossless 24-bit audio.
    The Japanese audio is a 5.1 lossless DTS-HD Master Audio track, also 24-bit.

The audio quality overall is, to my memory, roughly equivalent to what the Japanese release had.

The DVD included here should be the same as the standalone DVD release.

Video is encoded using MPEG-2 at an average bitrate of 8.5Mbps. This is quite a bit higher than we often see for anime content on a DVD, and is nearing the tip top of what a DVD can do (this is identical to prior tri. DVDs in the US.) It's encoded at 480p and properly shows as '24fps film' content.

The audio is roughly equivalent also. The English track is a 5.1 Dolby track at 448k, while the Japanese is 5.1 Dolby at 448k. Relatively standard and expected, and about as good as you'd expect audio to be on a DVD.

It feels like the audio on the DVD is missing a bit of punch compared to the Blu-ray, but there isn't much surprise there. It's roughly the same as listening to an MP3 versus a FLAC or WAV. Some people will notice, others wont, and even the DVD is pretty good.

3 subtitle tracks are included on both Blu-ray and DVD:
    Sign track for the English dub
    Closed Captioning for the English dub
    English subtitles for the Japanese audio

Oddly, the DVD has a fourth track, which appears to be identical to the English subtitles for the Japanese audio track. This has happened before and doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Closed captioning is something that has tapered off in anime related releases a number of years ago, but has come up quite a bit in recent memory. It's nice to see it included, more so that it is a proper closed captioning track. If a character's mouth isn't visible, you see their name. If a phone vibrates offscreen, they caption that a phone has vibrated, etc. I don't use captioning tracks myself, but it's a good thing to have a proper track for those who need it (or want to watch it with friends/family who may need it.)

I neither had the time nor the inclination to go through the caption track line by line as I did for Part 2. There may be small issues here or there.

Oddly, when Butter-Fly is used as an insert song it appears to be ignored entirely on all subtitle/caption tracks.

The subs for the Japanese track seem generally good. I didn't compare them in depth with the CR subs.

There may be mistakes somewhere, but on casual viewing I didn't particularllry notice anything.

The Blu-ray menu is rather nice and functionally identical to prior releases. It plays the new English theme while various Part 4 clips run. While functionally identical, the visuals have been spruced up here quite a bit. The poster key art appears, and the video plays with some different filters on it, leading to an overall ncier look than previous menus. They've also dumped the pixelated font in favor of something that has more the appearance of flat pipes or tubes.

Due to having only one extra, they skip giving extras a submenu and just place it on the main menu, which I rather like. Less pressing buttons to get to content.

The DVD menu does it's best to emulate the setup of the Blu-ray menu, and does it reasonably well. Each submenu has it's own menu page on the DVD.

Unlike previous DVDs, menu assets have been tweaked here to work better with the lower resolution provided by DVD. While not a major change, those who use DVDs instead of Blu-rays will no doubt appreciate menus that are slightly easier to read.

In PC software players the DVD played fine, but the menus acted a bit odd. In commercial players they seemed to work fine, while various free and/or open source solutions either ran the menus fine, but button overlays didn't appear right, or else menus didn't seem to render correctly. I may look at upgrading various software packages I use, but playability wasn't affected by these issues. Simply noting them since at least one menu screencap didn't show the button overlay properly. In the future if I can't fix this I'll likely just continue to note potential screencap oddities with the menus when necessary.

Time for extras! Well... extra.

No clean OP or ED material, but we do get a single extra.

We get the catch up feature that aired prior to Part 4 in theaters, titled "The Evolution So Far, with Joshua Seth."

It's a rather fun, roughly 10 minute long, extra that acts rather similiar to the digest versions of tri. that Toei has released. Joshua Seth provides narration, along with the occasional cutaway joke, to either refresh you or catch you up before watching tri. Part 4.

It's short, it's nice, but I can also see people not liking it based on what they are looking for from extra features. I think it's fun and did it's job well when you consider a number of people seeing it in theaters might have only seen Part 1 previously.

When you buy the Blu-ray, you get a voucher code for a digital copy of Part 4. This is a DRM-Free downloading & streaming code that redeems via VHX. This is effectively the Cadillac of digital copies.

You receive a copy that you can stream on your devices using the various VHX apps, to say nothing of the DRM-Free download itself.

The download copy itself is made up of half a dozen different MP4 files of varying specifications, which you can choose and download at will. And because they are DRM-Free, you can make use of it the best way for you. It's worth mentioning most of the VHX streaming apps also allow you to download specific versions to your devices, but may not include the full range of resolutions that the web interface does.

Below are quick video and audio specifications for each DRM-Free downloadable files, along with a single screencap for each..

1080p is 1.8GB (3.0Mb AVC video with 256k AAC 2.0 audio)

720p is 902MB (1.35Mb AVC video with 256k AAC 2.0 audio)

540p is 613MB (838Kb AVC video with 256k AAC 2.0 audio)

360p is 270MB (351Kb AVC video with 128k AAC 2.0 audio)

240p is 188MB (220Kb AVC video with 112k AAC 2.0 audio) [full size image embedded]

144p is 118MB (112Kb AVC video with 96k AAC 2.0 audio) [full size image embedded]

The digital copy itself is dub only, with a downloadable SRT for closed captioning.

The files are all rather standard, even if a few of the smaller ones continue to seem a bit hilarious.

Although I continue to think they need to add the sign/song track as a second SRT.

Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 has received a very good release in the USA on Blu-ray. In general everything feels about in line with prior releases. Which leaves me with not much to say.

It's by and large a good release, and that applies to the DVD also.

Minus digging into the subtitle tracks and potentially finding an issue, it's hard to come away with much negative to say.

There aren't currently release dates scheduled for Parts 5 and 6, but we expect them before 2018 is over.

The digital to own versions of Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 should be reasonably similar to the digital copy: dub only with closed captioning. Various storefronts are listing it as $10 for the SD only version and $13 for the HD. In addition, if you buy the HD version from iTunes, the extra will be included (along with a full menu.)

Screencaps were taken largely at random while jumping around the various versions included with the Blu-ray (although if I knew a moment was coming up I wanted a cap of, I'd wait.) Owing to the unique way DVDs are encoded, the DVD screencaps have been stretched lengthwise to the proper aspect ratio, as they would appear while actual watching. The Blu-ray screencaps are all straight off the disc.

Various additional screen captures are in our gallery:
    Blu-ray
    DVD
    Digital

The screen captures include numerous screen captures from the Blu-ray and DVD, including various menu captures. The digital includes a handful of shots from each available resolution.

The scans can also be found in the gallery, along with a few additional photos of the packaging.

The scans are very small compared to the master scans I did (the work and backup folder structure for the scans and screencaps is a touch under 10 gigs.) I will try and make wallpapers if people are interested. If you want to see a specific screencap of something give me a rough timecode if you can.

If you have any questions about the release feel free to ask.

If you want to discuss Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 in more detail we have a thread here.

Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 will be out shortly in the UK. At the time of posting no release has been announced for Australia yet.

Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 was reviewed using a screener that came in the standard retail packaging (with part of the UPC code clipped out.) I still have my pre-order active and plan to keep it (the screener has that cutout on the UPC code I mentioned earlier, and I want to have one that is all pristine.)

Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 is available to order and is now available: (Affiliate links.)
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 Loss Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 Loss DVD

Digimon Adventure tri. Parts 1, 2, and 3 are also still available to order:
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 1 Reunion Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 1 Reunion DVD
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 Determination Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 Determination DVD
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 Confession Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 Confession DVD

Our prior breakdowns/reviews of the US releases of Digimon Adventure tri. can be found here:
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 1 US Release- Review, Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 US Release- Review, Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 US Release- Review, Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the release.

More things to come!

Images are hosted on our gallery and embedded on the forum, so let us know if anything is acting up.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo...
    It's odd for actors to be credited for a role they don't play anymore like Melodee Spevack and Dave Mallow. Don't really know why they were recast but yeah Angemon and his higher digivolutions are voiced by Jamieson Price no doubt. As for Birdramon/Garudamon/Phoenixmon, any one's guess. Still the English cast is rock solid.
    Last edited by Wadester92; 04-13-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I'd guess they went ahead and had Cheremi Leigh take over for all of Biyomon's forms. Might not be consistent with the past, but it's more consistent with the tradition Tamers started of having all of each Digimon's forms voiced by the same actor.

Four Dark Lords. Hundreds of monsters. Five teens. One huge adventure.
    An anime-inspired web serial updated weekly.

Ain't got no mojo...
    [QUOTE=PCmon;338958]I'd guess they went ahead and had Cheremi Leigh take over for all of Biyomon's forms. Might not be consistent with the past, but it's more consistent with the tradition Tamers started of having all of each Digimon's forms voiced by the same actor.

That's a good guess. As for the In-training forms, I assume everyone is on board who plays who but I shared what I know from hearing and source.

Doug Erholtz as Koromon
    Kirk Thornton as Tsunomon
    Cherami Leigh as Yokomon
    Joshua Seth as Motimon
    Anna Garduno as Tanemon
    R. Martin Klein as Bukamon
    Laura Summer as Tokomon
    Kate Higgins as Nyaromon
    Last edited by Wadester92; 04-13-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I enjoyed that, good read and well written.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    I wasn't able to get my hands on the DVD or the BluRay this time around. I might just get Parts 4, 5 and 6 after graduation. Either way, it seems from reviews and Tumblr posts I've read that the dub of Loss is quite good. Ah well...