With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bandai Details How Hackmon and his Evolutions Got Their Names!

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Would セイバーガンダム not be from the u in Saviour, vs the American word? or is it the same with or without the u?
    This is more just a case of how things are written in different places.

While I choose to go with SaberHackmon, if you wanted to call him SaviorHackmon, I don't see why SaviourHackmon would be any less acceptable. The only difference in this case is how Bandai Japan has chosen to spell it in English.

If the u means something to you, I'd say go for it.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Garmmon On Twitter Add Garmmon on DeviantArt
    The 'u' in 'huck' is pronounced like ipa [ʌ], and the closest vowel in Japanese to that is [a], so if say someone wanted to write 'huck' or 'hack' in Japanese, they would both be written the same way as [hakku] as [a] is the closest vowel to both.
    That's why [hakku] can potentially map to either 'huck' or 'hack'; I don't think any makes less sense than the other because both aren't any closer to the original word 'haku' (white) than the other, they're both stylisations of a stylisation. I hope this makes sense?

Also I thought 'savior' was the American spelling? I'm used to Brit spelling myself so I usually spell it 'saviour', but I think they should both be pronounced the same way. Then technically it wouldn't be wrong to say Saviourhackmon lol.
    I'm not very well-read on Japanese language or anything, but セイバー [seibaa] is easier for Japanese to pronounce than セイヴィアー [seiviaa] because it's closer to their own phonology, which I think is why they adopted [seibaa] for 'saviour'? I think it's around when Christianity was being introduced to Japan and Western loanwords aren't common in Japanese like they are now. Even in Japan today you can see some older people still have a hard time pronouncing some new loanwords with non-native Japanese phonology haha.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Your explanation for Huck makes little sense to me but I don't understand romanisation or whatever, so I'll trust you. I find Huck from Hakku to be weird, since the second letter is an A.
    A short "A" and a short "U" are pronounced the same way in Japanese. It's like how the English word "bug" is written "baggu" in Japanese. I'll probably stick with Hackmon for the name, myself, if only to match the Appmon Hackmon.

Edit:
    What Garmmon said.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Was there a link to the source of this?

I come from the net
    So "Jes"mon is actually like DORUmon's acronym name? How do we suppose to know that.... Justice Edge Swordsman... So he is kinda fourth one after those three flaming ghost-like Kancolle enemies were named from the famous three Musketeers? No?

Whitemon. Weird. I thought all their personalities and sword/blade related to certain references towards their official profiles to match well.

Okay they should update next on new information about why Legend Arm types were named with foreign words rather than English words in Name Origins.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Yeah the letter thing makes sense. I can follow what you're saying clear now. If only the Japanese used romaji 100% of the time lol.

Based on everything though, including how I've heard his name in CS and Tri, it should be with an a when used in romaji and the new explanation helps that too. Seems like Orgemon situation lol.

As for Saviour, that's European yeah. We love our extra U's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaioumon View Post
    Was there a link to the source of this?
    The link was there, but was showing up strange and invisible for some reason, it should be fixed now.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Thanks. I didn't doubt, it's just good to have a link to that on-hand.

So Haku comes from an alternate reading of a character for white, which can also be read as "shiro".
    Jesmon really is ShirouEmiyamon

This differentiates it from appmon's hackmon then. There is still raidramon tho. I doubt it has different naming etymology

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast