With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bandai Details How Hackmon and his Evolutions Got Their Names!

Bandai Details How Hackmon and his Evolutions Got Their Names!

Weeee... we finally know them all now!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

One of the things that has caught the attention of Digimon fans for a few years now are the various names, and potential root words for Hackmon and his various evolutions (to a large degree due to official alternate translations bouncing back and forth.)

This was added to when Kenji Watanabe had commented on the source of Jesmon's name being unknown to fans, and that the assumptions a number of fans had were just coincidental (coincidences he may have noticed while they were naming them, but simply coincidence.)

The Digimon Twitter has shared the proper sources for us today since April 6th is White (things) Day and Hackmon and his evolutions have a lot of white on them.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Plus the "Hack" in "Hackmon" comes from the alternate reading of 白 (white) being "haku."

BaoHackmon comes from Baou (blade king.)

Image Thumbnail (custom)

SaberHackmon is from "Savior" (Savior, Saver, and Saber have similiar sounds and it creates a bit of word/themeplay.) The actual spelling in Japan is the same as you'd use for Saber/Sabre.

And the one that seemed to be of the most interest to everyone...
    Jesmon is from the combination of the first letters of the words Justice, Edge, and Swordsman.

Thanks to shin for the translations and a few additional details.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    So everyone was wrong, their names had fuck all to do with Hacking or Huck Finn.

I feel like this song is fitting for the thread:
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 04-05-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

Ain't got no mojo...
    I guess no one knows how it ended up being Huckmon in the art book and Hacker's Memory.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    So "huck" makes even less sense lol. Guess people are right to ignore the Reference Book sometimes.

"Huck" in Hucker's Memory still triggers me. I changed the name of mine manually to "BaoHackmon" lol.

Also I'm sad he's not Jesusmon.

Huckmon seems to be the way Bandai Japan translated it at 'some point' and they simply are to stubborn to admit it's supposed to be Hackmon, so anytime the translation is provided by Bandai it's Huckmon.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Still though, it made no sense in Hucker's Memory when they had Hackmon as Hackmon, it just made things widely inconsistent that his other two stages used the "Japanese" names.

Kinda like when it was OniShoutmon in Next Order, even though Omnimon was Omegamon.

Back to this little doggy though, I'm said "Bao" isn't from it sounded like the word "Bow" that people use for dogs. That's what I assumed it was from.

Also, I guess he's "Whitemon" technically. Now where's his evil twin, Blackmon? he'd match his big sisters, the Sistermons more then too! although then we need a blue one.

Also, isn't SaviorHackmon that in Japan, not Sabre? Wikimon lists it as Savior. (not writing saviour triggers me lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Also, isn't SaviorHackmon that in Japan, not Sabre? Wikimon lists it as Savior. (not writing saviour triggers me lol)
    It may be a purposeful corruption of Savior, but I use Saber because that's how it's actually spelled.

セイバーハックモン

セイバー
    ハックモン

The second part is just 'Hackmon'

The first part, セイバー, is Saber/Sabre and the exact spelling of that type of sword. In fact, while I don't watch Fate, that's also the exact spelling of Saber's name from that franchise.

Follow Garmmon On Twitter Add Garmmon on DeviantArt
    So "huck" makes even less sense lol. Guess people are right to ignore the Reference Book sometimes.
    If you go by the name origin they gave, 'huck' makes no less sense than 'hack'; they're both valid stylised romanisations of 'hakku'. 'Hakku' itself is already a stylisation of 'haku' so 'huck' would just be a further stylisation of that.

Yeah it's Savior, the tweet mentions it's derived from 救世主 meaning 'saviour'/'messiah'. It doesn't match English pronunciation of 'saviour' one-to-one, but セイバー is a valid way of writing 'saviour' in katakana.
    Saviour Gundam for example is written 'セイバーガンダム'.

Wow we uh... were really off on most of this evolution line’s names. Does this mean we were supposed to be saying Hakumon this whole time?!

Quote Originally Posted by Garmmon View Post
    If you go by the name origin they gave, 'huck' makes no less sense than 'hack'; they're both valid stylised romanisations of 'hakku'. 'Hakku' itself is already a stylisation of 'haku' so 'huck' would just be a further stylisation of that.

Yeah it's Savior, the tweet mentions it's derived from 救世主 meaning 'saviour'/'messiah'. It doesn't match English pronunciation of 'saviour' one-to-one, but セイバー is a valid way of writing 'saviour' in katakana.
    Saviour Gundam for example is written 'セイバーガンダム'.
    I see. Well, I'd actually prefer Sabre like Marc writes, purely because I wouldn't have to betray my European roots every time I write his real name.

Your explanation for Huck makes little sense to me but I don't understand romanisation or whatever, so I'll trust you. I find Huck from Hakku to be weird, since the second letter is an A.

Would セイバーガンダム not be from the u in Saviour, vs the American word? or is it the same with or without the u?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast