With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digivolving Spirits 03 Diablomon- Breakdown, Scans, and Photos

Digivolving Spirits 03 Diablomon- Breakdown, Scans, and Photos

This one shipped on time, but got delayed during shipping...

The third Digivolving Spirits figure, Diablomon!

Released in March in Japan and scheduled for April in the US, Digivolving Spirits 03 Diablomon is the newest Digivolving Spirits figure.

And for the first time we have a Digivolving Spirits figure that doesn't look to a prior figure for inspiration (or to inspire nostalgia.)

The scans went mostly fine, minus that the box is slightly slippery to the touch. Luckily I remembered this from WarGreymon and took it into account when I was scanning it.

First up, the packaging.

The scan of the front of the box is at the top of the article. A photo of the front is included here.

The front of the box has a clean style to it with some nice flair, which matches the overall branding for the Digivolving Spirits line. The logo for the line has been a combined English/Japanese logo since we first saw it, and just below is the name of the figure (along with his lower form and the part of the franchise he's from just above.) Having the number underneath so huge is no doubt to help it stand out well on a shelf side by side with other Digivolving Spirits figures.

Up in the top left corner we also get a reflective Diecast Evolution 'plate' that they're putting on figures in the line to show off it having diecast metal. The bottom right corner has company logos, along with the logo for the second Digimon Adventure movie. They use the translation "Children's War Game" in English for this release.

The high point of the front has to be the new artwork by longtime Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe. The artwork of Keramon and Diablomon is designed to have little touches and flourishes based on the figure itself (most notable in this case would be Keramon's tentacles being a single piece that make up the main part of his body.)

One small additional touch is how Diablomon and Keramon are facing the opposite direction from the characters on the previous boxes, allowing them to face off against each other.

It stands out well from many other collector's figures by showing some great art instead of just showing us the figure (and Diablomon's claw swipes and breath are nice visual flairs.)

The sides of the box feature the different forms of the figure, along with bits of the artwork that go past the front of the box (in the case some of Diablomon's slashes.)

A nice touch is that, unlike prior figures with the crest symbols, the side with Keramon gets a nice stylized clock motif.

The top has the logo, along with silhouettes for the figures (along with more artwork that went past the edges on the front.) Very basic and nice.

The bottom has various legal and informational details.

The only notable difference between Japanese and US figure stock is here. Bluefin, the US distributor for Tamashii products, including Digivolving Spirits, adds a small label with various information they need to include. This figure is from Japanese stock so does not include the sticker.

The back of the box features various text and logo touches from the front, along with some nice images of the figure itself.

Most of the text is in both English and Japanese, and the small amount that isn't is the basic profile information for Keramon and Diablomon that we've all seen a number of times.

We also get a small preview of the fourth figure in the line, Angewomon!

When the top of the box is opened there are flaps on either side.

The left flap shows Diablomon, along with one of the clocks. This is included with cut guidelines in case they decide to do a campaign in the future that requires proof of purchase.

The right flap features Keramon! Keramon is asking buyers to please fill out the questionnaire that's included with the instructions.

There is one more flap actually...

Continuing from previous figures there is a small flap on the top of the box that folds behind the back of the box. Like the other figures, just a little bit of text, but it certainly can't say warp evolve...

Which one has the clock?
    A 100% unnecessary touch that most people will likely never even notice. I said previously I couldn't wait to see what future figures would have there, and Diablomon's is perfect.

Then we have the instruction sheet included.

The instructions are a single sheet printed on both sides, folded in half twice.

The instruction sheet is in Japanese, but with key bits in English.

The questionnaire that was mentioned is a link to an online one instead of an actual physical form to fill out.

One touch that is nice is where they sketch outlines and highlight the areas they are talking about in a very crisp pinkish color to make it extra clear what parts they are referring to.

The instructions overall appear reasonably clear, but I wish the whole thing was translated.

Like WarGreymon, it appears the instruction sheets used an unpainted prototype for their example. This is most noticeable on elements like Keramon's mouth and the bare metal visible on the clock. The stand is also not made of clear plastic.

WarGreymon's instruction sheet was pretty standard, while MetalGarurumon's was printed oversized enough that it was almost hard to scan, so was there anything different with Diablomon's instruction sheet? Yes, there was actually. Diablomon's sheet is a more reasonable size than MetalGarurumon, and it's printed on a nice glossy paper, not to mention the print quality has been improved, and we have some color this time (the pink highlights.)

As for the figure itself...

We have a thread for the figure, and we have people in the community who photograph figures far better than me, so hopefully some good shots will show up there soon. If not I'll pull Diablomon out and do proper photos in both forms as best as I can... (If someone doesn't take shots of MetalGarurumon soon I'll be doing photographs of that one.)

But I couldn't help myself to take a few from the figure still in the plastic shell once I removed that from the box.

Packaged as Diablomon, the figure is basically completely transformed, he's just posed a bit weird (likely to make the box a better size and help with shipping overall), plus his thumbs are flipped around

Removing the front of the shell lets you more clearly see the figure. It's been a long wait for a Diablomon figure, and this one really does impress. The purple is a bold and rich shade that just looks nice, and other elements keep up the look of quality (like the metallicish green bead in his chest where you can 'almost' see my reflection in it.)

As the first figure that takes no inspiration from previous figures and has to stand completely on it's own, Diablomon really carries the line forward in a fantastic way. The detail we get for a high priced villain who has never had a proper figure before really makes me look forward to what we might get for various popular characters in the future.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Diablomon is still available to order. (Affiliate links)
    Digivolving Spirits #03 Diablomon at CDJapan
    Digivolving Spirits #03 Diablomon at Amazon USA (currently only available from 3rd party sellers)

Angewomon and Alphamon are already up for pre-order but won't be out for awhile.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

After Alphamon, we know that AtlurKabuterimon will be #06 followed by HolyAngemon and Dukemon. And we've seen art and/or prototypes for Garudamon, Lilymon, Zudomon, and Ouryumon. Images of all of them can be found here.

Every figure we've seen looks fantastic and I can't wait for more to come out.

The images can all be found in the gallery.

The scans are small compared to the master scans I did (the work and backup folder structure for the scans and photos ended up being 12.5 gigs.)

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the figure.

If you want to discuss the figure itself there is a discussion thread here.

Also, prior to the release of the figure, Tamashii put up a video showing how the transformation worked for Diablomon:

And if you want to order or pre-order other Digivolving Spirits...

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

#01 WarGreymon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon at Amazon USA
    Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon at CDJapan (currently not available, may change)

#02 MetalGarurumon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits #02 MetalGarurumon at Amazon USA
    Digivolving Spirits #02 MetalGarurumon at CDJapan (currently not available, may change)

#04 Angewomon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits #04 Angewomon at CDJapan
    Digivolving Spirits #04 Angewomon at Amazon USA

#05 Alphamon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits #05 Alphamon at CDJapan
    Digivolving Spirits #05 Alphamon At Amazon USA
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

This ironically seems to be the perfect figure to release today... for so many years fans were tricked with a promise of this figure. Only for it to finally come this year. Fans can finally rejoice with this evil Digimon that also wouldn't die...

very nice breakdown. I bet your shelf looks so cool now.

Digimon Adventure tri. part 6, Our Future!
    Coming out May 5th, Children's Day!
    [Art by http://dejitarugeeto02.tumblr.com/]

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    So this is what the product breakdown is that I saw on Patreon. That was pretty cool. Surpirsed there's some English in there but I guess that shows they always intended to release them in the west. I do wonder if that means they'll be promoting it under the "Diablomon" name in the west though because that's not what people will search if they want a Diaboromon figure but I guess it's a product not many randoms would get since they're expensive etc.

They're cool figures, especially since Wizardmon made them. That's the only explanation for how these were made.

Also, you and the other have ordered these through the Japanese release, right? I still think it would've been better to get them through the western pre orders... but I guess they'd be well aware seeing a bunch of "America" "UK" in their orders lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Surpirsed there's some English in there but I guess that shows they always intended to release them in the west. I do wonder if that means they'll be promoting it under the "Diablomon" name in the west though because that's not what people will search if they want a Diaboromon figure but I guess it's a product not many randoms would get since they're expensive etc.
    It's being marketed under the Diablomon name via the American distributor. They generally only relabel stuff to a detailed degree when they are partnered with someone who 'wants' the relabeling (Sentai Figuarts figures being relabeled as Power Rangers for example.)

Also, you and the other have ordered these through the Japanese release, right? I still think it would've been better to get them through the western pre orders... but I guess they'd be well aware seeing a bunch of "America" "UK" in their orders lol
    The prior two I ordered via American stock. I had store credit from a Japanese shop, and at the time I pre-ordered it I legitimately wasn't sure if this was coming out in the US (at the time the only shops showing pre-orders were showing a March release, which matched the Japanese date.) Angewomon I also have pre-ordered via Japanese stock due to more store credit. I haven't yet decided what I'll do for Alphamon yet.

I wouldn't be shocked if US releases had an additional sticker mentioning Diaboromon, though I don't expect it.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ooh, he looks neat, though the instructions seem fairly daunting...but I doubt many people are going to be transforming them more than once or twice anyways.

The box art is wonderful, as always. If I collected such things I would be inclined to just buy the boxes if anyone were crazy enough to part with the boxes and sell them separately.

Now what I really want to see is a Terriermon > SaintGalgomon transformer :p

I got mine last Tuesday and only just bothered to digivolve him last night
    he is great in both modes, my only complaint is trying to make the keramon legs, the diaboromon legs don't want to fit inside like the instructions want so i just fold them like he's on his knees praying for omnimon to not stab him in the face
    also the shoulders when trying to fold them down are also a pain due to not being hinged to open
    other then that he's a great figure well worth the base price plus ems shipping, in fact i love mine so much i just ordered a second on cdjapan who seems to have restocked, for the first true evil digimon digivolving figure as well as first in the spirits line to be original, its just so amazing

@GrungeCat

Now what I really want to see is a Terriermon > SaintGalgomon transformer

You mean a spirits or a figure period because there is one from the western toyline back in the day

I come from the net
    That sure looks cool. Really was surprised how they were able to do this one.

Add Mugenlazlo on DeviantArt
    I hate it when they package it in Mega Level mode. Why does Bandai do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugenlazlo View Post
    I hate it when they package it in Mega Level mode. Why does Bandai do that?
    It makes complete sense because it's the more complex and more immediately presentable form of the figure.

I come from the net
    Obviously. It makes perfect sense. I think Transformers does that sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast