With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: PNG Renders of Digimon Artwork

Ain't got no mojo...

PNG Renders of Digimon Artwork

I'm not actually that much of a GIMP user, but I have made some PNG Renders using this method:

1. Select the cutout, and click Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Section
    2. Select -> Shrink (1px)
    3. Ctrl+I
    4. Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur

I didn't make that much since some of them don't look good with that Gaussian Blur effect.

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)
    Last edited by MarcFBR; 03-26-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Changed to thumbnail tags

Erasing whitespace is often good, but I'd generally say shrinking the capture area would only work on big images, on smaller ones it'd just ruin the edges in a noticeable way (and the blur in this case is honestly just more problematic than helpful.) Rather you'd want to adjust how you are selecting the whitespace to be more or less specific.

There isn't really 'rendering' happening here.

If you want to explain to people what to do I'd recommend looking over your instructions again, you skip a few elements that would be necessary to explain to anyone who isn't knowledgeable about dealing with images.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo...
    The method I've used was from a help forum for editing on GIMP.

I call it a PNG Render cause I don't think the images I've edited on are considered "vectors" because it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by DPTronazel View Post
    The method I've used was from a help forum for editing on GIMP.

I call it a PNG Render cause I don't think the images I've edited on are considered "vectors" because it's not.
    They're certainly not vectors, but they aren't renders either.

It's just erasing the background.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I forgot to mention the reason why I use this method, is because I was trying to get rid of the white pixels from the black outlines.

Quote Originally Posted by DPTronazel View Post
    I forgot to mention the reason why I use this method, is because I was trying to get rid of the white pixels from the black outlines.
    Sure, but that is still not a good way to go about that. I know you are talking about Gimp here but it's just so obvious to point out that even some very rudimentary tweaks in photoshop's Select and Mask menu to a simple wand selection can easily produce better results than this (and those algorithms are not optimized for line work at all)... but there are quite a few platform-independent problems with your approach:
    First off, you can't simply assume that the aliasing around the edges is always 1 pixel. For small images or very fine lines in general the selection cuts off too much and in the case of large images too little. You can clearly see that in the Andromon image where there is still a grey outline left... so it doesn't even actually succeed at it's stated goal.
    I understand that the blur is trying to approximate/replace the outline but honestly it doesn't even come close. The blur is far too soft and in some cases not even actually black. Look at Agumon for example, the shrinking has erased pretty much all the black, so the blur is extending the colors that should be behind the outline... so instead of producing a border his hands and claws seem to start glowing instead.

I mean, if there's actual demand I could go over how to "perfectly" erase a white background from lineart in Photoshop... but in any case there's no magical automatic procedure that will work for all image and there are always points where masks have to be manually adjusted.