With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: Lost Chronicles II: One World

Junior Commander IamTheSovereign's Avatar

Chapter 81 - Demon of the Deep

IceDevimon

The musky scent of dampened wood was one that had admittedly taken me a while to get used to, but now that I have, it had very much grown on me in a nostalgic sense. The air, filled with mist and dust, had the same sense of familiarity as I descended down a spiraling, stone staircase deep below the earth. Upon reaching the end of the long stairway, an even longer hallway followed. Lining the walls were rows of empty rooms, separated from the hallway by a set of iron bars, and behind them, the occasional prisoner. To be perfectly honest, there were more empty rooms than there were captives. We weren’t known for taking prisoners. Except for the women, of course; why waste what you can…well, you get the idea. Of course, at the moment, the only ones behind the bars were our…let’s say, failed experiments. Yes…those who had failed to accept the darkness offered to them, and had succumbed to a life of pain and torture. Of course, those who did fail rarely survived; thus, making the survivors an utmost priority for experimentations on how to properly seduce one into a life of purest darkness. I, of course, was never too proud to accept the necessity and help of allies, or even friends, thus leading to my experiments with darkness in the first place. As I passed by another cell, a trembling hand reached out.

“…Please…kill…me…” It was a Human man. The look in his eyes revealed that he was far beyond the breaking point. I knelt down and tapped my finger on the man’s forehead. A sharp icicle tore through the back of his head, and he lay dead instantly.

“Do not think me a merciful being…I simply enjoy killing,” I whispered to the man’s corpse.

“Still, do be sure to not kill all of these failures, IceDevimon.” From the direction I was headed, a single cloaked being, obscured by the light and hidden in shadows, slowly and steadily approached me.

“…Greetings, master,” I said, bowing at the waist.

“IceDevimon. How are things at Cyllene?”

“Well, I have some good news and bad news,” I began. “Barbamon was killed by the members of Lachesis a few days ago.”

“…Is that so.”

“Indeed. We’re a bit more shorthanded with him gone, but…we are one step closer to achieving one of our goals,” I continued.

“I am aware of this, IceDevimon. You need not waste our time rambling on about the little details.”

“Apologies.”

“…If they defeated Barbamon…then they are on their way back to the Arcadian landmass…correct?” I nodded. “Unbelievable…it is astounding enough that they were able to get past Cetosmon to get to Cyllene in the first place. They just keep increasing their strength, IceDevimon.”

“Do not fear. Cetosmon was not killed. I shall have him intercept Lachesis on their way home,” I said.

“…One more thing, IceDevimon. Send out our…new recruit. Should they arrive safely back to their fortress, I would like to have someone there to welcome them home.”

“Our new recruit? But, she is only a mercenary!” I exclaimed.

“…And? What of it?”

“Mercenaries like Celtinemon only answer to the sound of coin hitting the palms of their hands! Should the enemy hire her to fight us—”

“Then it will be no big loss. Celtinemon is not plagued by darkness like the rest of us. She is not a chain, like Barbamon was.”

“…Understood. I shall go send for Celtinemon immediately,” I said, bowing once more.
    “See that you do.”

Mathew Kasuto

The last traces of the continent of Cyllene disappeared beyond the dark, starry horizon. I closed my eyes, and leaned back against the railing of Karen’s ship, allowing the sensation of the gentle rocking of the waves to overtake my mind and thoughts. Katsumi had died. The woman I loved…she was dead. And to add insult to injury, there wasn’t anything I could do about it. The deaths of Alicia and Wayland had both taken be by surprise, and though I was deeply saddened by their loss, those feelings paled in comparison to the utter turmoil I felt over Katsumi’s death. All I could do while my Digimon partner bravely fought against that Digimon called Barbamon was sit and wait like a coward, holding the cold hand of the woman who I had hoped would someday become my lover. I was disgusted with myself for my cowardice and weakness, even though Coronamon has reassured me countless times that I had done nothing of the sort.

“…Are you…Matthew Kasuto?” I looked up, and saw a young girl standing above me. I’d seen her briefly while first boarding Karen’s ship, but I didn’t have the chance to speak with her. Her hair was an odd color, as if transitioning between pitch black, grey, and pure white depending on the angle. “I apologize we haven’t had the chance to speak yet. I am Princess Tamiko Silverveil.”

“A…princess?! I—”

“Oh, no, don’t act formal! Please,” Tamiko said quickly. “I…actually ran away from home because I…I hated my father…I joined your missionary group, so I’d like for you to think of me as your equal, and not a princess.”

“Okay, but—”

“Not a princess! Just a girl named Tamiko! Okay?”

“…Lachesis is a mercenary group, not missionary…”

“…Oh.” Tamiko’s face flushed a rather lovely magenta. “…Well…I wanted to talk to you for a little bit, Matthew, if you don’t have a problem with me…”

“…Why would I have a problem with you?” I asked.

“Well…I’m a princess from Cyllene,” Tamiko said nervously. “You know…the empire you pretty much wiped out…the daughter of the mad king and all that…”

“But you aren’t like that. You’re sweet.” Tamiko blushed again, and smiled.

“Thank you…Um…Anyway, I was speaking with your sister, Elena, and—”

“Eleanora.”

“…Right. I was speaking to her…and…she told me…about what happened to your friend, Katherine—”

“…K…Katsumi…”

“…It was…one of the soldiers from my kingdom who killed her, Matthew,” Tamiko said, sitting down next to me. “I would like to take full responsibility for the actions of Black General Eliza Wilstrom.”

“…You don’t…need to do that…”

“But…she…she also killed Alisson and Wallace, didn’t she? Please…”

“…Why do you feel like you need to take the blame for something you didn’t do?” I asked, not bothering to correct her on Alicia’s and Wayland’s names.

“I just…feel like maybe I could have done something to prevent all of this…Instead, I ran away from home instead of trying to prevent all of this madness,” Tamiko sighed. “…Your sister told me that you loved Katsumi…I know how painful it is to lose a loved one, Matthew…”

“…Yes…I did love her…But for the longest time, the two of us were so shy…Recently, a thief named Lira stole a memento of my late mother, and ever since then, I’ve been feeling…I don’t know, less like a coward, I guess.”

“…Did you say…Lira?” Tamiko asked.

“She called herself the Great Thief Lira Elric. Why? Do you know of her?”

“…I feel as though I’ve heard her name before,” Tamiko pondered. “And you said she was a thief…She sounds familiar, but I’m afraid I can’t remember where I might have heard her name in the first place…Oh, I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to go off topic. Please, continue, Matthew.”

“…I found the shyness Katsumi possessed to be rather endearing. She cried all the time because she would get visions of the future.”

“And…that made her cry?” Tamiko asked. “That sounds…ominous…”

“She didn’t ever say what she saw in her visions,” I admitted. “But…whatever she had seen always seemed to traumatize her…”

“Matthew…”

“…I…was so angry at myself…for not being able to do anything to save her,” I whispered. “All I could do was beg her not to die…and hold her hand for hours…until Flaremon came back for me once all the fighting was done…”

“…Thank you for talking to me, Matthew; it must have taken a lot to say something that affected you that deeply,” Tamiko said. “I really appreciate the trust you’ve given to me by telling me your story.” Tamiko reached over and placed a hand on my shoulder. “Your sister is really worried about you, you know…and she…well…she kind of reminds me of myself…”

“In what way?” I asked.

“Well, she’s your twin, but she’s always treated you like her younger brother,” Tamiko smiled. “I, too, had a little brother…His name was Kelik. He…wasn’t my father’s son, though…and…and he…was…Desmond executed him.” I gasped.

“…How could he do something like that?” I said breathlessly. Tamiko shook her head.

“He…was only a little boy, eight years old…and Desmond outed him as a spy in order to have a good excuse to murder him,” Tamiko continued. “He felt that, with the blame placed, he would have a further good reason to go to war with the so-called invaders from the west.”

“…So that’s what you meant,” I said. “You and El both care deeply about your brothers…” Tamiko smiled.

“Yes…we do,” she replied. “Plus, we both have black hair.”

“…Black?” I stared at Tamiko’s long hair, and still was unable to tell what color it was.

“Oh, yes; when I ran away from home, my Digimon partner, Kudamon, used his attack to change my hair color,” Tamiko said, laughing shyly. “I…guess it wasn’t too necessary, though, since I ended up going back to the castle to help all of you fight Barbamon anyway…Gah, my hair looks so weird now! Ugh, I feel like such an ugly freak…”

“Don’t say that; I actually think it’s quite lovely,” I said.

“T—Thank you,” Tamiko said, blushing. “…Hopefully, I’ll be pretty once my hair makes up its mind about what color it wants to be…” As I was about to respond, a massive wave crashed into the side of the ship, rocking it violently back and forth.

“Is everyone okay?!” Karen yelled. The ship’s deck was thoroughly flooded; everyone on it was soaked.

“…I’m glad I’m not wearing one of my princess dresses,” Tamiko said, brushing her sopping hair out of her face.

“Karen, I think there’s something out there!” Ulysses exclaimed. The pirate queen remained still and silent, carefully eyeing the horizon. “Karen!”

“I heard you,” Karen replied calmly. “…This doesn’t look good…”

“Is it Cetosmon again?” I asked.

“It shouldn’t be; MetalSeadramon blasted him practically to the bottom of the ocean,” Karen mused. The ocean waters began to stir once again, and another wave struck the hull of Karen’s ship. I looked over the railing, and saw a shadow beneath the water. A big one.

“…It’s about to surface,” I said. “Tamiko, go below deck with all of the others. This could get messy.” As if on cue, a massive head emerged from the sea.

“That…isn’t Cetosmon,” Ulysses said. The Digimon, enormous and red, grinned as it eyed Karen’s ship. A large row of sharp teeth glimmered endlessly in the moonlight. It snapped its massive jaws together, and dove back into the water.

“…What…was that thing?!” Tamiko asked.

“It can’t be…”

“Karen, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“I’ve heard stories of it, but I never thought it to be real,” the pirate queen murmured. “We’re dealing with a Digimon called Leviamon.”

“So, it really does exist,” Ulysses said quietly. “It has been said that Leviamon has strength rivaling that of Barbamon, along with five other Demon Lord Digimon.” An enormous tail rose out of the sea, striking the side of the ship.

“It must have Digivolved from Cetosmon,” I said.

“RIGHT YOU ARE!” Leviamon leaped out of the water, wearing a nasty grin on his face. “An old pal of mine found me after you almost killed me, and gave me a bit of an upgrade!” Leviamon swung his tail again, destroying the masts of the ship.

“Damn it, we have to stop him!” Karen yelled.

“Reload, Leopardmon! Kentaurosmon!” Ulysses held up his Fusion Loader, calling forth the two Exalted Knights.

“…Him again,” Leopardmon sighed. “He survived?”

“I care not how strong he is; I shall do everything in my power to protect Tamiko,” Kentaurosmon said. Both he and Leopardmon aimed an attack at the massive Leviamon, who didn’t even flinch when hit.

“Thunder Breath!” Leviamon roared, roasting both Leopardmon and Kentaurosmon with a breath of flames.

“Damn it; Ulysses, keep everyone else below deck! Make sure they stay safe!” Karen barked. A small burst of flames from Leviamon’s attack bounced and hit one of the broken masts, igniting it. “Matthew; take the princess down below!”

“But—”

“Do it, Matthew!” Kentaurosmon agreed. Reluctantly, I took Tamiko’s hand in mine, and as I headed towards the stairs, another wave struck the ship. This time, another Digimon arose from the depths.

“MetalSeadramon!” Karen exclaimed.

“…I see our old friend is back,” the Mega said, glaring up at Leviamon. “Let’s end this!”

“Yes, let’s!” Leviamon agreed.

“River of Power!”

“Shell Shock!” Leviamon’s attack tore through MetalSeadramon’s in almost an instant. The attack continued on, tearing through MetalSeadramon’s neck. The force of the attack sent MetalSeadramon flying backwards onto the ship, breaking it completely in half. Ulysses was flung down the stairs to below what was left of the deck. Tamiko and I nearly fell into the water, had I not grabbed the stray rope of a fallen mast. A nearby flame, however, threatened the stability of said rope.

“METALSEADRAMON!” Karen, acting as though her ship were in perfect condition, ran to the fallen Digimon’s side, but it was too late. MetalSeadramon had died.

“That will teach you…That’ll teach all of you; DON’T MESS WITH ICEDEVIMON’S PLANS!” Leviamon roared, diving back into the water. A huge wave rose up, crashing into the broken ship, wrecking it even further and completely submerging it beneath the surface of the ocean, and all of us with it.
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 82 - A Strange and Mysterious World

Matthew Kasuto

Matthew…Wake…up…

A familiar voice echoed in my mind. But whose was it? I was barely conscious, but still, I could clearly hear the voice. Was it Eleanora? Coronamon? A cold ocean wave splashed my face; the stinging saltwater flowed into my mouth, and up my nose, agitating my sinuses. Completely surprised, I leaped up out of the wet sand, immediately trying to snort and cough out the saltwater. Upon regaining my composure, I looked around. All around me, my friends laid unconscious on the shore, several in the water, but most on the sand. I quickly found Eleanora belly-up in the sea and pulled her out as fast as I could, relieved that I could find a pulse.

“You have nothing to fear, young man. They all live yet.” Surprised for the second time that minute, I turned around to face the speaker to find a tall Digimon, one that I had never seen before, standing nearby. Above him, far up in the sky, I could faintly see two large Digimon circling around. “It was a close call, but due to the actions of a brave seafarer, I was able to bring you all back here safely.”

“…Are we in Arcadia?” I asked.

“Indeed you are. You are in Shendu Territory, to be more specific,” the Digimon answered. “You were all close to being annihilated by that Leviamon. In the end, I was only able to drive him off myself…”

“…Who are you?” I asked. “I’ve never seen a Digimon like you before…”

“Oh, do forgive my discourtesy; my name is Dynasmon. I am a knight in the Shendian military. The seafarer that I mentioned told me her name was Ansley.”

“Ansley? …Did she have red hair?”

“Ah, then you are acquainted with her!” Dynasmon exclaimed. “Well, I’m afraid I haven’t seen her since she helped me to bring you all back safely to the shore; she set sail immediately; that was about fifteen minutes ago.”

Ansley…she helped us? I don’t understand…Barbossa’s daughter…The daughter of the leader of a group of bandits…

“I’d have taken you all back to the castle in Acacia with my subordinates, but I didn’t wish to risk moving you in fear of worsening any injuries you may have,” Dynasmon continued. “Are you…feeling alright, sir? You seem a trifle confused…”

“No…its nothing,” I whispered. “…Dynasmon…why did you save us?”

“What do you mean? I saw that you were all in trouble, and I came to your assistance,” Dynasmon said. “…Did I meddle unnecessarily?”

“No, it isn’t that…We came from the east,” I continued. “You knew we were coming from the east. With the currents we were in, that’s the only place we could have come from. So, why?”

“Because I know that is not where you are from,” Dynasmon said. “It is a complicated story, but…I know you are a member of Lachesis. I know you are not from the Eastern Continent.”

“You know about us? …Were you in Lachesis at some point?”

“…In a sense,” Dynasmon replied.

…Hmm…I don’t recall ever hearing of a Digimon called Dynasmon being part of Lachesis…Maybe he was part of that group Coronamon was in back when he used to be Apollomon? What was it called…the Celestial Vanguard or something?

“Now, you don’t appear to be injured, young man. Might it be safe to assume the same of your friends? I believe it would be best to move you to the infirmary of Acacia Castle, but I don’t want to worsen any possible fractures in doing so.” Slowly and carefully, I examined myself, moving my arms and legs before feeling around my torso.

“…I think I’m fine, but I can’t speak on the others’ behalf,” I said after a moment. “We should probably take them in anyway; if any fractured bones get worse, we can always just heal it up at the castle…”

“If you think that is the best choice, sir,” Dynasmon said. The Digimon turned his head to the sky, eyeing the two flying Digimon I spotted earlier, and raised an arm, firing an attack into the air. At once, the two Digimon raced through the sky, and were at Dynasmon’s side in the blink of an eye. Both of them were exceedingly large Dragon Digimon. “My Lord Kasuto, may I introduce to you two more of the Digimon working with me in the Shendian military; their names are Majiramon and Magnadramon, and they are partnered to two of Shendu’s finest knights.”

“Two of the finest?! Jeanette is better than among the finest!” the Digimon called Majiramon fumed.

“…You mean Jeanette and Eirika,” Magnadramon replied. “My partner is as loyal as yours, Majiramon.”

“Yeah, but Eirika’s still a newbie!” Majiramon whined. “And besides, she’s totally unrefined in mannerisms; Jeanette’s got class.”

Hmm…Sounds like Giselle and Eleanora…

“Now, don’t get me wrong, Magnadramon; Eirika’s pretty cute and all that, but she just doesn’t have Jen’s poise and elegance,” Majiramon continued. As the two dragons continued their argument, I glanced over at Dynasmon, who was quietly shaking his head in disapproval.

…I never told him my name…How did he know my last name?

“…Every time,” Dynasmon sighed. “If it isn’t their partners, which it rarely isn’t, it’s their own combat prowess…” The Exalted Knight stepped forward, and fired a Dragon’s Roar attack from his hand up into the sky, getting the attention of the two dragons. “Honestly, you two…you’d think that with how well Jeanette and Eirika get along, you two would be the best of friends!”

“Yes, commander!” Magnadramon instantly saluted.

“Yeah, whatever you say, boss,” Majiramon said, speaking in a far less formal tone than Magnadramon.

“Now that you two are done arguing, perhaps you would like to assist me in taking these people to the castle infirmary?” Dynasmon asked.
    “Yes, sir!” Both Dragon Digimon saluted.

Eirika

“…Ready…aim…and release!” With the target in my sight, directly ahead of me and plastered to a castle wall, I pulled my arrow back as far as I could, and let go. It was only the slightest fraction of a second, one that seemed to last for minutes as I watched the arrow fly through the air and hit the target…roughly four inches away from the center. “Aww…I thought for sure I’d get it this time!” I pouted.

“Do not despair, dear Eirika. You improve your skills vith each passing day.” I turned around and smiled, knowing that the voice belonged to my best friend. “You have improved much since the day vhen ve first met. You are among Shendu’s finest knights.”

“Wow…you really think so, Jeanette?” I asked. “Gosh, I didn’t think I was anywhere near that good!”

“Your dedication is something that I much admire, darling,” Jeanette said, giving me a gentle smile.

“Whoa…really?!” I gasped. “You…admire me? But, Jenny, I’m the one who’s supposed to admire you! I mean…you’re just so much prettier than me, and more lady-like. Here, check it out; I even got my belly button pierced like yours so I could be more like you! But even still, I don’t feel as adequate as you are; I wanna be pretty and talented like you are, Jenny!”

“Oh, dear Eirika, there is no need for you to feel so,” Jeannette said. “It is alvays the better option to live your life vithout comparing it to that of another, dear one. You are a vonderful person in your own vay, and you should not make a try to changing it. Are you understanding?”

“Hmm…yeah, I guess so!”

“Good; I am glad you are having the happier feelings now,” Jeanette said. “Magnadramon and Majiramon have been coming back to the castle vith Dynasmon; they have bring us many injured travelers, and I think ve should go and go to see them, Eirika.”

“Wha-What happened?!” I asked.

“I am not knowing the details very much, but there vas a shipwrecked on the beach vith those travelers, so they vere taken to the infirmary.”
    “Well, let’s go, then!”

Matthew Kasuto

This world is a very mysterious place. Karen’s ship had been completely destroyed. Everyone aboard had been injured in some way — none of them fatally or seriously, to my relief — but still, it confounded me. Why wasn’t I hurt? I had a few cuts and scrapes, and a bruise or two, but of everyone that had witnessed Leviamon’s rampage, I was the only one to escape without a single broken bone. Furthermore, I was the only one who was conscious, even two hours later after being brought to the infirmary at Shendu Castle by those dragon Digimon. Everyone had his or her own bed in a large and spacious room; the room had even been big enough for Majiramon and Magnadramon to enter without issue.

“You need not worry, Matthew,” Dynasmon said in a calm voice. Once everyone had been transported to the castle and settled in a bed, Dynasmon has stayed exclusively at Zelda’s bedside. “They will all be fine…”

“Dynasmon…why are you staring at Zelda?” I asked. The knight stretched his violet wings, and shifted his sitting position on the floor. His ivory armor blended well in the white room.

“…It is…a complicated story,” Dynasmon whispered. “Let’s just say, for now…that she and I have crossed paths many years back.”

“…You also told me you were a member of Lachesis,” I continued. “But, I don’t recall there being any record of a Dynasmon being part of the guild.”

“As I’ve told you, Matthew, it is a long story; one that is difficult to explain,” the Exalted Knight said. Though the tone of his voice did not waver from its usual calm, I could tell that he did not wish to speak further of the subject. I glanced at Eleanora; there were a few bandages wrapped around her sword arm. I looked out of a window at the deep violet-orange sky.

…Why am I fine? I thought once more. I don’t understand…and whose voice spoke to me when Dynasmon found us?

Matthew…I froze. It was the voice. Whose was it? Matthew! The sudden loudness of the voice caused me to jump.

“Is there a problem?” Dynasmon asked.

“…Did you…hear…anything?” I asked.

“I hear nothing apart from the breathing of your unconscious friends, my boy. What did you hear?”

“…Nothing. Never mind…”

Matthew! The voice was growing more and more clear; it was a woman who was speaking to me. However, it was just faint enough so that I could not fully tell whose voice it was, though it was indeed familiar to me. Come with me…I looked up into the window, and saw a pair of golden eyes staring back at me, rather than my own. I gasped.

Those eyes…I’d recognize them anywhere! “…Katsumi?” The eyes blinked. Gradually, her form began to materialize outside the window. Hovering in midair, the ethereal form of the woman I had loved smiled gently at me.
    Come with me, Matthew… Katsumi stretched out an arm and held out her hand. Against my better judgment, I opened the window and jumped through, landing on the grass just inches below. Katsumi began to glide away, and as I followed her, I heard Dynasmon call after me. At least, I think I did. All of my focus was on Katsumi.

Zelda Kasuto

Slowly, my eyes began to drift open. With the memories of the previous night’s ferocious battle still clear in my head, I was not at all surprised to find myself in a pure white hospital room. I glanced around the room, and saw that nobody was completely covered by a sheet, signifying that there were no casualties. I breathed a sigh of relief and tried to sit up, but a terrible pain in my ribs kept me from doing so.

“Please…you need to get some rest.” I blinked. Standing next to me was a Digimon I thought I would never see again.

“…Dynasmon!” Instantly, my eyes filled with tears, and in spite of my pain, I stood up to embrace the Exalted Knight, but stopped myself almost immediately from doing so. “…No…you’re probably different…from the one I knew…”

“…It’s good to see you again, Zelda,” Dynasmon said quietly. I gasped.

“You…you are that Dynasmon!” I threw myself into the Digimon’s arms, and lost myself to time in his embrace. “You’re…alive…I can’t believe…How…I thought that your Talisman was destroyed by Lilithmon…”

“Enough time has passed,” Dynasmon said. “I have been reborn, as all Digimon are when they die. I would imagine that Gallantmon, Renamon, and the others would have been reborn by now as well.” I smiled.

“…And here I was, thinking that there might be some way to fix all of your shattered Talismans. I spent many hundreds of years traveling the continent with Abigail, Andromon, and Flamedramon,” I said. “But having you here, right now and in the flesh, is even better than I could ever have dreamed of…Oh, Dynasmon…”

“…I apologize for not going directly to you when I was reborn,” Dynasmon whispered. “I wanted to…I went many times, but others had told me you had left on a journey…I didn’t know what else to do, so I became a knight here in Shendu, the land of my birth in my first lifetime.”

“No…I guess I need to be the one apologizing, then, if you were so worried about me,” I said. By this point, my ribs began to hurt even more, so Dynasmon gently lay me back down on my bed.

“…I see you have become a mother in my absence,” Dynasmon said. “The swordswoman who resembles you; the archer that resembles Thomas…”

“…Yes…They are not my direct descendants, but they seem to be my youngest living descendants,” I said. “…If only Thomas could be here to see them…”

“…I had forgotten that he did not have the Mark, as you do,” Dynasmon said. “But, could he not have gotten it rather easily…?”

“He didn’t ever want to cheat on me. Those were his exact words,” I said. “…I…said that I wouldn’t ever mind if he did it…I…often wish that he would have…Is that selfish of me?”

“All you wanted was to spend your long life with the man you love. There is nothing selfish about that.”

“…I miss him, Dynasmon,” I whispered. “But, I’ve got Matthew and Eleanora…so the pain isn’t as bad as it used to be.”

“…Speaking of Matthew,” Dynasmon began. “He…left just before you woke up. He asked me if I heard something, and he suddenly left through the window…”

“…It’s okay,” I said, smiling up at the big Digimon. “Matthew is strong. He’ll be okay.”
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 83 - Undying Love

Zelda

The pain in my ribs had kept me from sleeping in the silence that followed my conversation with Dynasmon. I was undisturbed by this; as I had much on my mind, I doubt I could have slept anyway. For the most part, I was simply thinking back on everything that happened over on Cyllene. Princess Tamiko and Kentaurosmon joined us. Alicia, Wayland, and Katsumi were all killed. My eyes watered instantly in memory of Luna’s daughter. Well, her second one, technically.

And to think…I knew her while she was still inside Luna’s tummy…I watched her grow up into a beautiful woman. And now…

Gradually, one by one, the other members of Lachesis began to regain consciousness, although those who did were either too injured to talk, or too exhausted. “…Dynasmon…you said Matthew left, didn’t you?” I asked.

“Yes…should I go after him?” the Exalted Knight asked.

“Well…did he seem at all hurt to you?”

“Now that you mention it, he was the only one who didn’t have any broken bones,” Dynasmon mused. “He was also the only one awake while I brought you all to Shendu Castle. Although, perhaps he may have taken a blow to the head? He did mention hearing something that I could not…”

“…I trust him, though. If he says he heard something, then I believe him. If he were too weak to go out, then he would not have done so. I trust that he will come back. He will…”

“…Yes…Although—” Before Dynasmon could speak any further, the doors of the infirmary opened wide. Two young women, one with long crimson hair, and the other a blonde, walked in. “Ah, Jeanette and Eirika…I’m glad you’re here.”

“Whoa, you weren’t kidding, Jenny; there’s a ton of people here!” the blonde said.

“Oh, my…I am glad to see that nobody is hurt,” the other woman said, speaking in a noticeable accent. “Vhat happened to you all?”

“…It was a shipwreck,” Karen whispered through clenched teeth. “My ship…it was destroyed by a Digimon known as Leviamon. My partner…didn’t make it…”

…That’s right…MetalSeadramon was killed, too…Poor Karen…I can’t even begin to imagine how she must be feeling…

“Trust me…you do,” I heard Dynasmon whisper lightly.

…Can he…read my thoughts? I wondered. Dynasmon nodded, but just barely. I…see…Well, I guess it isn’t so bad. At least I can trust Dynasmon with my thoughts.

“Jeez, nobody else died?” Sparrow asked. “We must have some kinda angel watching over us…”

“Yes, you are all lucky to not being injured,” Jeanette said.

“Actually…there was one young man named Matthew who was fortunate enough to not be hurt at all, save for a few scrapes,” Dynasmon spoke up.

“Mattie’s okay?!” Eleanora gasped. “Where…is he…? I don’t see him anywhere…”

“You’re his sister, aren’t you?” Dynasmon asked. “I’m afraid he left a while back after mentioning hearing something—”

“What was it? What did he hear? Where is he?! Is he okay?! Is—”

“Eleanora, calm down!” I exclaimed. “Matthew is fine…he’ll be okay. I know he will.”

“…My master is correct,” Dynasmon said.

“Your…master?!” Eirika asked. She and the other members of Lachesis who were conscious had looks of confusion on their faces; all except for Abigail and Flamedramon.

“…You never did tell us how you came to being a knight vith us,” Jeanette said. Dynasmon and I exchanged glances, and nodded.

“Very well, then. I don’t want this to be a long story, so I’ll just say that, in my previous lifetime…I was a Digimon Spirit,” Dynasmon began. “My talisman fell into the possession of Zelda here, but my talisman was ultimately destroyed by a Digimon known as Lilithmon, essentially killing me. However, as I am a Digimon, I was eventually reborn. I knew not where to find Zelda, so I ended up becoming a knight of Shendu, my homeland.”

“Whoa…that’s, like, a totally amazing story, Mr. Dynasmon!” Eirika exclaimed.

“No…it really isn’t all too special,” Dynasmon said quietly. “There is…a more important subject that I wish to discuss with you.”

“…Yes? What is it, Dynasmon?” I asked.

“…It’s about the Emperor and his daughter. They wish to speak with your group.” Eirika and Jeanette both gasped.

“Really…? Lord Tso Lan vishes to speaking vith them?” Jeanette asked.

“Lana, too?” Eirika asked. “Er, I mean…Princess Lan Fan?”

“Yes…but the Emperor did not tell me why; only that he wished to speak with you,” Dynasmon said.

“Well, it’ll have to wait,” Eleanora said. In spite of the cast on her right leg, and the sling it rested upon, the young woman attempted to struggle her way out of her bed.

“Vhat are you talking about?! You cannot simply be ask the Emperor to vaiting!” Jeanette exclaimed.

“I don’t care; I won’t see anyone until I find my brother!”

“Well, you can’t go find him in your condition!” Eirika exclaimed. “Can you at least get someone who, like, doesn’t have broken legs to go look for him?”

“But…he’s my brother,” Eleanora said quietly.

“…I can go look for him,” I suggested. “Um…I don’t know where he might have gone, though…and I don’t really know Shendu Territory very well…”

“Oh, I’ll do it,” Karen said. “There’s no reason that the emperor would want to see me…right, Dynasmon?” I glanced over at the large Mega Digimon.
    “…Very well. You may go and search for Matthew, Karen Swan,” Dynasmon said.

Matthew Kasuto

Katsumi led me through a grassy plain and towards the setting sun. The two of us walked (well, Katsumi hovered in the air) in silence for over an hour, until we reached a more mountainous area. It was rather close to the shoreline, and I could smell the salty aroma of the sea that antagonized my sinuses. Katsumi turned around and looked at me, and then over her shoulder to glance at the familiar opening of a cave.

“…This…is the King’s Spear Shrine,” I whispered. Katsumi nodded. “Katsumi…this is where all of those bandits live…Why did you bring me here?! And what’s going on?! I thought you were dead!”

Matthew…go inside, Katsumi said. Her lips did not move, but remained in a gentle smile; instead, I heard her voice in my head. There is someone who needs your assistance in there…

“Katsumi…” Blinking, the phantasmal woman hovered closer to me, and reached over in an attempt to place a hand over my cheek. From what I had heard of other’s supposed ghost encounters, I expected her touch to be chilling. I was surprised to feel warmth, as if she actually were touching me.

Matthew…you are right…I am dead, Katsumi said. While I was dying…you told me that you loved me…Was that…true…?

“Yes, Katsumi! I love you!” My eyes filled with tears, and I fell to the sandy ground on my knees. “I loved you…Katsumi…Why did you have to die?! I love you…so…much…”

I know, Matthew…I loved you, too…And that’s why I’m here. Katsumi sat down on the ground next to me, and I could feel her place a hand over my shoulder. I’ll stay with you, Matthew. I’ll stay with you for as long as you want me to…Forever, if you wish…

“…What do you mean?”

Matthew…since I was a sorceress when I was alive…No…since I was her daughter…My spirit is now able to do as I wish…And I want to stay here…with you…Matthew…

“…You want to haunt me?”

Oh, Matthew! Goodness, no! Katsumi laughed. No…I…just want to be with you, Matthew. I know that, in this state, we cannot truly be together…but I would at least like to stay by your side for as long as you’d like me to.

“Katsumi…” I reached over, thinking that I would place my hand over hers, but mine simply fell gently onto the sand as I fell through her. I felt her warmth, but that was it. “…I would prefer it if you were alive, to be perfectly honest…But I can’t keep you here if it’ll hurt you…”

Well, it’s not like I have anything better to do, Katsumi shrugged. I’m already dead…this is pretty much my afterlife, I suppose you could say. Now, Matthew…I love you…and I know that you love me…but I don’t want you to feel like you have to be held back by me…I want you to be able to love another girl who is alive, if you ever find that you are able to. I want you to be happy.

“…Katsumi. Losing you was even more painful than losing my parents…It hurts to think about them sometimes, but I hardly remember them because I was so young when they died. But you…” I shook my head. “I…don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get past losing you, Katsumi. Do you have any idea how painful it was for me, watching you die before me, when there was nothing that I could have done for you?!”

Yes, Matthew. I can feel the turmoil that rages within your heart, Katsumi whispered. I’m so sorry…but there was nothing either of us could have done back then; you and Coronamon did everything you could to stop that woman. Thanks to you, she will never harm another person ever again…

“But…why did she have to harm you?!” I screamed. “Why…did she have to…take you away from me?! Why?!”

…I’m afraid that’s just the way things go, Mattie. But…I haven’t been completely taken away from you, Katsumi continued, giving me a small smile. And that’s okay…I’m glad I was able to use my life to protect someone I love so much.

“…You knew that sniper was coming? She’d have killed me…if you weren’t there,” I said in a trembling voice. Slowly, Katsumi nodded. “…I…What…am I supposed to do now…? I don’t know…”

That’s why I’m here, Matthew, Katsumi said. Well, part of why, anyway. Matthew…whenever you’re feeling lost…and you don’t know what to do…or who to talk to…I’ll be there for you. I’ll always…be with you…

“Katsumi…” Feeling my eyes water with tears, I quickly brushed them away before the salty air could make my eyes burn. “…Did you bring me all the way out here…just to tell me this…?”

No…Earlier, I told you that I brought you here because somebody needs your assistance.

“…Some bandit?” Katsumi nodded. “…Why would I want to help one of them…?”

Because it is the right thing to do. I looked up at the spirit of the woman I loved. Please, Matthew…

“I could never say no to you…Katsumi,” I replied, smiling at her. Katsumi smiled back, and the two of us walked hand-in-hand, so to speak, into King’s Spear Shrine.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789