With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Chronicles II: One World

Junior Commander IamTheSovereign's Avatar

Chapter 11 - Return

Eleanora Kasuto
    Lachesis Fortress
    6 Hours

Restlessly, I looked out the window of my room for about the fifth time that minute. Lucia had told me that Matthew and Sparrow might be gone for as long as a week. My thoughts of “only a week” quickly became thoughts of “one fucking week!” I looked out the window again. The sun had set. The sky was a deep and murky black, and not a single star tore through its infinite darkness. I tried so hard to take my mind off of my baby brother not being here; I polished and shined my sword, which once belonged to a distant ancestor of mine, or so I had been told. Even after all of these years, its edge wasn’t close to dulling, and I had polished it so well, I could see my reflection as though my sword were a mirror.

“Only a week…Only a week,” I kept saying aloud to myself. “Only a week…An entire, fucking week…Oh, Mattie; I miss you so much! Why didn’t I go with you?!” I banged my head against a brick wall several times. This was the first time that I’d been apart from my twin this long. Sometimes, we’d go on different jobs to two different places, but we’d both be back home in a few hours. I had spent the entire day without him, worrying about him, thinking about him. “…Screw it.” I tossed my sword onto my bed, which landed next to the snoozing Lunamon, and left my bedroom, quietly closing my door behind me. I stood atop the top stair of the stairway to the first floor of the fortress, and sighed with relief. The cool, stone surface were a very welcome comfort to my bare feet, sore from standing up and walking a good portion of the day (mostly from walking back and forth, fretting about Matthew.) I strolled down the stairs and walked into the lounge. It was quite late, and many of the others had already gone to bed. Lucia, Mihiramon, Heather, Larraine, Dominimon, and Ulysses were the only people in the lounge when I came down.

“…Still thinking about Matthew?” Lucia asked. She sat on the floor, propped up against Mihiramon’s side as the Ultimate Digimon slept quietly.

“I can’t help it; I haven’t been this long without having him around,” I whispered.

“Oh, Ellie, he’ll be okay,” Larraine said gently, smiling kindly at me. “I know Sparrow or Coronamon wouldn’t ever let anything bad happen to him…”

“I know…But I’m still worried. Plus, I miss him…”

“Well, if Sparrow finds what he’s looking for, they may not be gone as long as we think,” Ulysses said.

“What is he looking for?” I asked.

“An Armor Digi-Egg,” Lucia answered.

“He already has the Armor Digi-Egg of Hope to evolve Hawkmon; now, he’s looking for another that’s said to be somewhere in the Trillium Mountains,” Ulysses added.

“Can any Digimon Armor Digivolve?” Heather asked.

“Actually, very few actually can,” Dominimon said. “You see, Hawkmon as a species is a descendant of a species that flourished in ancient times, so he is able to ‘evolve,’ in a sense, to an Armor Level Digimon. However, it really isn’t very different from regular Digivolution; an Armor level Digimon like Moosemon is about as strong as a Digimon of the Champion level. Anyway, many of those ancient Digimon seem to have died out, leaving few descendants out there capable of Armor Digimon. I believe AeroVeedramon is also one who can borrow the power of the ancients, should he so choose to. However, he would have to degenerate to the Rookie level in order to perform such an action.”

“…Wow…when somebody asks a question, you really go out of the way to answer it,” I said. Dominimon shrugged.

“I’m the keeper of the library here at Lachesis; at many times during the day, I decide to look through the pages of the older books with Lilliana or Isole; after all…we are the librarians. As a result, I may know a few things here and there, but I would never consider myself a genius. If you ask me, Edmund would be the genius out of all of us,” Dominimon said.

“Yeah…I bet he’s smarter than everyone here combined,” I added in a dreamy voice.

“Sheesh…all the girls around here fawn over him like he’s some kind of god,” Lucia muttered with a small smile on her face. “I even told Giselle about him, and now she can’t wait for him to return…”

“Are you saying that you don’t?!” Larraine asked. Her eyes were wide with shock.

“Hey, he’s a good kid and all — well, I guess he’s older than me with that Mark, but you know what I mean — anyway, I just don’t see the need to exalt a regular man.”

“When is he coming back?” Larraine asked, looking at Ulysses.

“It’s not up to me. The lad’s on a quest of his own to find something,” Ulysses said. “Knowing him, though…I’m sure it’ll be soon.”

“That’s good; haven’t sparred with a mage in a while,” Lucia said. Lucia placed an arm atop the back of Mihiramon’s neck. At that moment, the Ultimate’s ears perked up, and he lifted his fuzzy head. “Mihiramon? What’s wrong?”

“…I hear someone coming,” he growled. It was one of his friendly growls, so we were all at ease as we looked to the entrance.

“Maybe it’s him!” I suggested. Larraine squealed and jumped up off the couch and stood next to me.

“Don’t get your hopes up, you two,” Ulysses said. “It’s probably just Wayland…”

“You say that as though it were a bad thing,” Heather laughed quietly.

“Oh, you know I didn’t mean it like that; but when you get to be an old fart like me, it gets hard to breath, and when you’re around someone who smells like fire, and I choke…”

A figure emerged from the shadows; my heart just about jumped out of my chest. It was brother.

“M…Matthew…” Tears began to cloud my vision as they welled in my eyes and slid down my cheeks. Matthew walked into the lounge, alone. The fact that he was alone caught my attention for half a second, but it was pushed out of my mind immediately as I ran up to my younger twin and pulled him into a choking hug. “Matthew! Oh, Matthew…Oh, I’m so glad you’re not hurt!” The nocks of his arrows protruding from his quiver dug into my shoulder, but I didn’t care; I barely even noticed.

“Eleanora…I was only gone for a few hours,” came a strangled reply. “…I missed you too, though…”

“Glad you’re back; she wouldn’t shut up about you all day long,” Lucia said. “…Wait. Why are you alone?”

“Oh…Sparrow’s coming,” Matthew replied as I released him from my hug. “All four of them are coming.”

“…Four?” Heather, with a big struggle and help from Dominimon, stood up off the couch. Her face had turned pale, but her eyes were wide with excitement. “Matthew…did you say…four?”

“Yes…” Matthew looked at all of us in the lounge. “We found him. We found Lloyd.” Complete silence befell the room.

“You…found him?” Heather began to tear up as I had. “You…found my husband?”

“Yeah; Sparrow and the Digimon are helping him walk, but he’s okay.” After a moment of breathing, Heather waddled over to my baby brother and pulled him into yet another choking hug, this time picking him up off the floor as she did.

“Oh, Mattie…thank you…Thank you for finding Lloyd…”

“I think I can hear them coming in now,” Mihiramon said. Sure enough, just as the Digimon said, Sparrow emerged from the darkness of the outdoors. Around his shoulders was the right arm of Lloyd Reed. Immediately, Heather went to her husband’s side to help him stand. Lloyd was conscious, and smiling, as Heather placed a big kiss on his cheek.

“…I’m sorry…for making you worry,” Lloyd said. Heather shook her head.

“Don’t be…you were just…trying to keep me safe,” she replied, placing her hand on her round belly. “Well…me, and our children…” Heather and Sparrow helped Lloyd walk over to a couch, and helped him sat down. Matthew and I sat down in front of them, and Sparrow attempted to sit next to me, but when he placed an arm around me, I elbowed him in the ribs and made him leave.

“What happened to you up there?” Lucia asked.

“Yeah, you were both gone for almost four months,” Larraine added.

“We were asked to go on a job in the Trillium Mountains to fight an unknown Digimon,” Lloyd began.

“This was before we knew I was pregnant,” Heather interjected. “When he found out, he tried to make me go home, but—”

“But she’s as stubborn as a LoaderLiomon,” Lloyd finished. “Anyway, we came across a strange Digimon known as IceDevimon after many months of searching, but we weren’t able to defeat him.”

“Wait, you found him, too?!” Sparrow asked. “We fought IceDevimon right before we found you! In fact, he was the one who gave you to us!”

“…That makes sense,” Lloyd said thoughtfully. “After I made Heather go back home, I was overcome by darkness…and ice…I’m surprised I didn’t straight out freeze to death.”

“So, what’s the deal with that IceDevimon?” Sparrow asked. “Why were you asked to fight him?”

“We don’t know anything about him,” Heather admitted. “The only thing we were told to do was take him out…”

“Were you two successful, by any chance?” Lloyd asked.

“…No,” Matthew spoke up. “He defeated both of our Digimon easily…but after that, he gave Lloyd back to us…”

“Is he a Digimon we should all concern ourselves with?” Lucia asked.

“According to the official records of Lachesis, some of the earlier members of our group fought against a Digimon of the same name,” Dominimon replied. “According to what I’ve read, he gained strength by use of a Human host named Clive Howell, but ultimately, IceDevimon was slain in battle by a…a Digimon Summoner…”

…That’s weird…it almost sounded as if…as if Dominimon were fighting back tears…

“Well, if that one was killed, it could be the same one,” Sparrow said. “Before we fought, IceDevimon mentioned something about dying and being reborn a bunch of times.”

“He didn’t really say anything to us,” Lloyd said. “He just…came out of nowhere and attacked. I don’t even remember if I heard him say a single word…”

“Really? He was quite dramatic, if you ask me,” Hawkmon said.

“…Maybe…there’s more than one?” Matthew suggested.

“Maybe…But something about that sounds a bit…off,” Sparrow said. “Hey, boss, what do you think we should do about that IceDevimon?”

“…I don’t think he’s something to worry about,” Ulysses said. “I, uh…need to go do something. Dominimon, will you…assist me?”

“Of course, sir,” Dominimon said politely, following Ulysses out of the lounge and into his room, closing the door behind him.

“…Nothing to worry about?” Heather asked. “He kept my husband imprisoned, and Ulysses thinks it’s no big deal?!”

“Don’t go doubting the boss’s final words,” Lucia said. “First of all, you don’t want Mia pissed at you for doing that. Secondly…he’s in charge. He wouldn’t be in the position he’s in if the master before didn’t think he was capable of handling it. So…I’m going to trust Ulysses.”

“Me too,” Matthew agreed. “I mean…I know that he was the one who wanted me to go without Coronamon or Sparrow to those mountains, but he wanted me to get stronger. His heart is always in the right place, at least, so he has my faith.”

“Yeah, and he’s pretty chilled out,” Sparrow said. “I mean…he’s a dude in a position of authority, but he’s also like…a dude you can just go up and talk to!”

“Are you all listening to yourselves?!” Heather asked. “Look, I don’t hate Ulysses; I like him a lot as a friend, but…I just don’t think he’s cut out for being in charge of every one of us!”

“Yeah…he tends to make bad decisions in critical situations,” Lloyd added. “I agree with what Matt said about his heart being in the right place, but I don’t think that makes up for the mistakes he’s made…and the lives that those mistakes have cost.” I stared down at the floor.

It may have cost lives…but I’m glad that it didn’t cost the lives of any of my friends…or Matthew. I looked over at Matthew, and placed my hand over his. “Well…he hasn’t gotten any of us killed yet…I’ll keep following him.”
    “Um…guys? I think we should just change the subject,” Larraine said. “I don’t want to keep talking about who’s in charge and who’s not…Let’s just…talk…okay? No more saying anything bad about anyone who lives here…even…even Geitz.” Everyone remained silent. Larraine was easily the kindest and gentlest person here at Lachesis, so usually, people obeyed and listened to her as they would with the boss, and in some cases, even more so. And so for the rest of that evening, we all sat around the lounge and conversed, and laughed, and shared stories. All except for Heather and Lloyd…

Ulysses Melchett

“…Are you doing all right, Dominimon?” I asked. We walked into my room, and I closed the door behind us. “Earlier…when you were talking about IceDevimon…you looked like you were about to—”

“That was nothing,” Dominimon quickly interrupted. “Just…Just a little slip of the tongue, sir. Nothing more, I assure you.” I looked at the Angel Digimon. In all the years that I have known him, I have never known him to tell a lie, so I decided to let the matter slip.

“Well…the reason I called you back here…is to discuss Geitz,” I whispered.

“…You aren’t going to kick him out, are you?!” Dominimon asked. “In all of Lachesis’s history, that has never happened to us before!”

“No, no, I would never…do that to one of our own,” I hesitated. “However…I think he may be up to something.”

“Something…? Like what?”

“Well, that’s just the thing; I’m pretty sure he’s up to something, but not entirely, and if he is, I don’t have the slightest idea of what it may be.”

“So, why all the secrecy?” Dominimon inquired. I sighed.

“Dominimon…it is a well-known fact that I am not entirely…leadership material,” I said. “Geitz in particular seems to have it out for me, and I do not blame him. I crack under pressure. I can’t make rushed decisions. I can fight, sure, and I think I do okay leading people in battle, but…outside? I don’t know a thing about directing others, Dominimon. I just…don’t know. And I feel as though Geitz is going to use this against me somehow…I fear…he may one day turn all the people I care about against me…”

“Ulysses…”

“I’m sorry, Dominimon; perhaps it is just the paranoia of old age directing my thoughts,” I laughed.

“Well, sir…If one day, Geitz does do as you fear, know this.” Dominimon walked up to me, and clasped his hands over my shoulders. “You will always have one person on your side.”

“…Thank you, Dominimon. I knew I could count on you to—”

“Me? Actually, I was…thinking of Mia,” Dominimon said nervously. “But…yeah…me too, I suppose…” I laughed again.

“Yes…Mia doesn’t even seem to notice all the mistakes I’ve made,” I said.

“She is your number one supporter. I don’t know why, but she really supports you all the way, one-hundred percent,” Dominimon said. “And people here love her. Surely, she would be able to sway a few others onto ‘your side.’”

“…You talk as if we’re preparing to begin a war, old friend,” I said.

“Who knows? Geitz is a jerk, but he has a brilliant mind. He could very easily create a division within our group.”

“Going to war…jeez, if only old man Murmuxmon had seen this coming, he’d have probably picked someone better suited to handle this situation,” I sighed. “Or maybe he’d have stayed boss himself.”

“He’s still alive?”

“Yes. The reason he retired…well, he was rather vague about it, but it seemed like he wanted to go on a journey.”
    “…Well…I don’t think you need his help,” Dominimon said. “Murmuxmon must have chosen you to be our leader for a reason. I know you’ll be able to see Lachesis through whatever crisis it may come across.”

And with that, an end is brought to this arc of the story. Tomorrow, the next shall begin, early in the morning. And as that arc draws upon us in the following chapter, chapter 12, our destiny is brought ever closer to its demise.

~Wisemon
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 12 - Visions

Katsumi Rosalina
    Lachesis Fortress
    Morning

I awoke with a start. My heart was pounding in my chest, and my entire body, even the bed beneath me, was moist with a cold sweat. It was the same way I woke up every morning. I was breathing heavily, as though I had been running. I turned my head, and looked at my arm. The Mark. The Mark that Geitz had blasphemed me for the other day was at the center of my left forearm. I spent a majority of my childhood staying indoors due to it, fearing the ire of the children of Yew. I never really had any friends growing up, aside from the people I worked with at Lachesis. They were always more like family to me, though. Even so, I was always thankful for them. However, something told me that, deep inside, I still didn’t have any real friends. It was as though I was always closing everyone off.

“…It’s…because of that vision I had,” I said to myself. Not wishing to think of the visions I received, I climbed out of bed. I found my shirt on the floor, and put it on. My boots were nearby, and I put them on as well. Quietly, I left my room and went downstairs. It was very early in the morning still; there wasn’t a single person awake in the lounge. Heather and Lloyd sat beside each other on a couch, both fast asleep. AeroVeedramon was in his usual corner, doing what he did best; sleep. I walked as quietly as I could out of the room so as not to wake Heather and Lloyd (I knew from experience that AeroVeedramon was normally next to impossible to wake up.) I stepped outside and looked at the early morning sky. The sun was just beginning to rise. The leaves and grass were covered in sparkling dew. A misty fog hung low to the ground. It was rather cold, but my face felt absolutely frozen from the tears that wet it. I looked back at the fortress before continuing on my way.

Yew
    20 Minutes

I looked at the house before me. Compared to the others on the same street, this one was rather small. The architecture was also different; whereas the other houses were painted in bright white, yellows, or greens, this one as a dark reddish-violet. It was a single-story house, and was somewhat oval shaped. Two tall, lit candles served as pillars, both right next to the front door. I stepped between the two candles, and knocked on the door. The door opened almost immediately, and two glowing and beady yellow eyes peered at me from behind.

“…Katsumi…It’s good to see you again,” Wisemon said.

“Hello…father,” I whispered. “May I…come in?”

“Of course, dear. You know you never need to ask,” Wisemon said kindly. I walked into his small house. As usual, shelves were crammed end to end with books. The circular table was in the exact same spot it had been, but I saw that he had finally bought a second chair for it. “I haven’t seen you in a few weeks, Kitty; how have things been?” Wisemon retrieved a soft handkerchief from his long sleeve, and gently wiped my face dry. “You’ve been crying again…”

“…Define ‘again,’” I said. “I’ve never really stopped…”

“…Did you have another vision?” Wisemon whispered.

“No…I just…Could you…tell me about…about Luna?” I asked.

“You mother…what about her would you like to know?” Wisemon asked.

“Father…I need to know…Did she love Chrysania more than she loved me?” Wisemon’s eyes widened.

“Katsumi…how could you ask something like that?” he whispered.

“…She always seemed to love her more. I know it’s because she adopted Chrissy long before she became pregnant with me, so of course they’d have a strong bond…but sometimes…it feels like she loves the child she adopted more than the child she conceived.” Wisemon stared at me in silence for a moment.

“…Your story reminds me of an old friend of mine,” he said. “Do you remember Thomas Kasuto?”

“Yes…He’s an ancestor of Matthew and Eleanora, right?” I asked. “I…sort of remember him…but it’s been so long…”

“Thomas was also adopted,” Wisemon said. “He was taken in by a woman named Victoria. However, this was after Victoria conceived her own child. Her child, Michalis, was taken from her at birth, but eighteen years later, they finally came into contact…”

“Oh…I’m so glad for them,” I said, trying my best to smile.

“…Don’t be. Michalis…felt betrayed. He felt as though Victoria loved Thomas more; that she didn’t love her own son at all. Michalis ended up…murdering her.” I gasped.

“Oh…Oh, my goodness…I…I certainly wasn’t having those thoughts about Luna!” I exclaimed.

“I know, sweetie. Your predicament, though…it reminded me of his own,” Wisemon explained. “Oh, I do so love to reminisce…”

“…You never did answer my question, father,” I said. “Did Luna love Chrysania more than she loved me?”

“Of course not. She loved you both the same, as I did…and still do…for all three of you,” Wisemon said. I looked down at my hands.

“…Thank you…father…”

“Kitty…I have a feeling you didn’t come all this way just to ask me that,” Wisemon continued. “Was there…something else you wished to discuss?” I looked up into the eyes of my father.

“…Yes. Father…why do I receive visions of the future?” I asked. “How…did that happen?”

“I do not know the answer to that. I’ve told you this before, haven’t I? I have tried many times to find an answer, but there simply is none. You are my own daughter, Katsumi. Remember; I too receive visions of the future.”

“…I’ve…had those visions for as long as I can remember. Awake or asleep…it matters not,” I said. “There’s…one in particular…that I can remember…When I was really young, back when Luna and Chrysania were still alive and young, I had a dreadful vision of the future; one were nobody was left alive. Everyone…except for me. And I was left all alone to wander in the empty world, knowing that I would be forced to endure the loneliness for all an eternity, due to my heritage. That was why I didn’t let anyone get close to me; so that when they died, I wouldn’t be lonely or sad. But the isolation I feel hurts. It hurt so much when Chrysania died, and even more when Luna was killed in action…That was another reason I chose to seclude myself, father. I have been a member of Lachesis for around five-hundred years now, but all it lead to was more death. And that was why I cried all of the time. Because of my pain, and my weakness to do anything about it…”

“Kitty…as you know, I too can read the future, but my visions often turn out to be incorrect,” Wisemon said. “Don’t think that…because of what you saw…that you are destined to be alone. Even if I die…and if everyone else in Lachesis was to die, and you were to be the last one left alive, you still wouldn’t be alone…because Goddess Arcadia will be there for you.”

“Father…”

“Always remember that I love you, Katsumi, and so does the Goddess. Neither of us will ever abandon you. I promise.”

“…Thank you, daddy…”
    “Think nothing of it. I’m always more than happy to help out my baby girl,” Wisemon said, beginning to gently stroke my face.

Geitz Felgrande
    Lachesis Fortress
    20 Minutes

I sat comfortably on a sofa in the lounge room, trying to act as casually as I knew how — for a man with a huge scar running down the side of his face, this was quite difficult. I could tell that old man Ulysses knew I was up to something…but he had no idea what that something was. Every time he walked by, I could see his beady eyes stare right through me. Alicia walked by and sat down on the couch next to me. She was already aware of my plan, and she supported my decision. But it was only the two of us at the moment. We had to figure out who else we could fully trust, without any doubts of loyalty in the slightest. But then, the night before, I had heard a few others talking after Lloyd had returned. I had heard exactly what I needed to hear.

“I’m fine, Lloyd; you don’t need to help me down the stairs,” I heard Heather laugh. I turned my head, and I could see the two walking slowly into the room.
    And here they come. Lloyd helped Heather sit down, and started to walk towards the kitchen when Alicia drew her arrowgun and fired. Her shot whizzed past Lloyd’s head, missing him by an inch. The swordsman turned around, glaring at us.

“Sorry, but I needed to get your attention,” Alicia said. “Also…welcome back, Lloyd.”

“Sit down,” I said. “I’d rather we just skip the formalities.” With a confused expression, Lloyd sat down next to Heather.

“…What do you want?” he asked. The two of us weren’t exactly on the best of terms, but I knew that Lloyd wasn’t the most social person, so I could trust him with my plan, especially given our common disinterest.

“Your help,” was my answer to him.

“You got a funny way of asking for it,” Lloyd remarked.

“Oh, please; if I had wanted you dead — which I don’t, by the way — you would already be dead,” Alicia said. “I’m just that good, after all.”

“…So, what do you need my help with?”

“…Both of you, actually,” I said. “I…have a plan. But, only Alicia knows of it. If I’m to succeed, I’ll need a few more people on my side.”

“What’s your plan?” Heather asked.

“My plan…is to overthrow Ulysses.” The married couple stared at us.

“That…would be treason, you know,” Lloyd said.

“So, are you telling me you’re fine with the way things are?” I asked. Heather and Lloyd exchanged quick, cautious glances. “After all…he doesn’t seem to be all too concerned about Lloyd having gone missing; he doesn’t even seem to think the Digimon who you were after was a big concern.”

“…You were eavesdropping last night, were you?” Heather asked. I nodded.

“I also heard…that you don’t dislike him as an individual,” I continued. “But you needn’t worry; my plan won’t involve him getting hurt — well, maybe a few scratches — but at the very least, he won’t die, or be seriously injured.”

“So, this is what you’ve been up to,” Lloyd said. “You’re a suspicious person already, Geitz, but lately, you’ve been more suspicious than usual.”

“Are you with me?” I asked.

“I…I don’t think this is a very good idea,” Heather said. “Are we to assume that you, Geitz, would take over when Ulysses is removed from position?”

“…That does not matter to me. My goal…is to dethrone Ulysses,” I said. “After that, I don’t care who’s in charge, so long as it isn’t him.”

“…What did you mean by ‘a few scratches?’” Lloyd asked.

“Well, you see, Ulysses undoubtedly has a few supporters — most obviously, Mia,” Alicia answered. “As a result, Geitz and I find it to be likely that we may end up being forced to…you know…fight amongst ourselves…”

“You mean…spill the blood of our own,” Lloyd’s voice rose.

“No — again, there are no deaths involved in my plan,” I said. “Only a few scratches, and nothing more. And even those scratches aren’t guaranteed.”

“So that’s why you really needed our help,” Heather said.

“Think about it. Do you really want those kids of yours to grow up in a Lachesis run by a man as negligent as Ulysses?” I asked. “We could all get ourselves decapitated, and he’d say it would be ‘no big deal!’ Is that the kind of Lachesis you want your children to grow up in?!”

“…No…it isn’t,” Heather said.

“You…are right, Geitz,” Lloyd added. “I apologize; I misunderstood your intentions…”

“No apology necessary; I know how ludicrous it must sound,” I said.

“So, what do we need to do in order to get your plan started?” Heather asked.

“Just a little more time. We begin at noon…Just under four hours. Be ready.” No need for them to know everything…or even the truth. To get what I want…I’ll kill whoever deserves to die.
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 13 - Iconoclasm

Ulysses Melchett
    Lachesis Fortress
    4 Hours

Larraine finished up her newest dance by turning to a three-fourths view and leaning back as far as she could to face the audience, giving them a charming smile and a wink. At this, the crowd around me erupted into cheers and applause. I felt the same as the others, but I remained quiet, not wishing to draw attention to myself. Larraine bowed and curtsied in a very modest manner before jumping off the small stage. There were a few whistles, and many encore calls, but Larraine sat down, breathing heavily and wiping the sweat from her brow. The cheering quieted as the crowd allowed her to rest and catch her breath.

“That was your third dance in a row, Rainy; no wonder you’re exhausted,” Lucia said.

“I’m sorry…I just couldn’t help it,” Larraine said. “Everyone was so happy…I just wanted to keep seeing their smiles…”

“Then you should keep your disgraceful face hidden, you filthy Marked cunt.” Everyone turned their heads to look at Geitz as he walked into the room, most of which were glaring. However, nobody said anything, eyeing the twin lances he carried in his hands; everyone here knew that Geitz was more than capable with them in combat.

“…I’m…sorry,” Larraine said. For the first time in my life, I saw her face turn from joy to a crestfallen expression.

“Geitz, get out of here!” Lucia screamed. At this point, I stood up, and walked over to Geitz.

“Is there a problem, Mr. Felgrande?” I asked, not even a foot away from the younger man.

“Yeah; actually, there is a problem, old man,” Geitz smirked. “I don’t like the way you do things.”

“Then direct your anger at me, and not at Larraine!” I growled. Geitz walked away from me, and towards Larraine. “I was talking to you, Felgrande.” Lucia stood up, placing herself between Geitz and Larraine. In a single, smooth motion, Geitz swung a lance and struck Lucia on the head. Lucia fell to the floor, clutching her bruised forehead. Sparrow and Eleanora rose to their feet, and I retrieved my claymore from the scabbard on my back. Geitz slammed his boot on the back of Lucia’s head, forcing her face to the ground. He took one of his lances, and placed one of its tips on the back of her neck.

“…What do you want, Geitz?!” Eleanora asked, holding on tightly to my arm. Geitz smiled, and pointed his other lance at Larraine. The room fell silent.

“What do I want…What I want…is for Ulysses to get his moldy ass off the throne of Lachesis!” Geitz yelled.

“…If it means you won’t harm Larraine, or anyone else, and you’ll keep your grubby hands off of Lucia…then I will…retire,” I said. Geitz began laughing. It was quiet at first, but grew gradually louder and louder.

“Retire? Retire?! Do you really think…that I’d go to all this trouble just for you to retire?!” Geitz asked. “Oh, Ulysses…if it were that simple, then you would never learn your lesson!”

“Just tell me what you want!” I shouted.

“No need to be so impatient, old man,” Geitz said. He looked around the room, at everyone who was glaring at him. “What I propose for you, old man…is something…of a test,” Geitz said. He tapped the butt end of one of his lances on the ground twice. Alicia, Neemon, Lloyd, and Heather walked into the room, joining Geitz.

“…You said nobody would get hurt,” Lloyd whispered.

“I promised nobody would die,” Geitz replied. “Anyway…Ulysses…the way you do things…You rush in without thinking. You take unnecessary risks, and unnecessary risks leads to unnecessary bloodshed. Because of that, you could easily get everyone here killed just like that. And not just us; the people you are attempting to protect get caught up in your line of fire, old man! And the worst part is, you don’t even seem to care if any of us get put in danger!”

“When Lloyd was lost in the Trillium Mountains…when we told you about IceDevimon…you said IceDevimon wasn’t a big concern of ours,” Heather added. My heart sunk. “That Digimon kidnapped my husband, and you don’t think anything needs to be done about him?!” Ulysses stared at those who opposed him. In an awkward silence, I stared down at the floor.

“And…do you all…feel this way?” I asked. Alicia, Lloyd, Heather, and Geitz all nodded. Neemon, however, stood still, staring off into space.

“Neemon, what in Arcadia’s name are you doing over there?!” Bokomon shouted.

“Oh, I thought we were all just standing up,” Neemon said.

“You nincompoop! Get over here!” Bokomon dragged Neemon by the back of his pants away from Geitz.

“Aw, but I was having fun,” Neemon whined.

“…You said you had a test for me,” I glared at Geitz. “Well? What is it, then?”

“Well, apparently, there are still a few people here who have deluded themselves into putting their faith in you,” Geitz smirked. “Something about having trust in the previous boss’s judgment. How about you, Ulysses? Do you have faith in yourself?” I blinked, and looked around at everyone else in the room.

“Of course he does!” Mia blurted out. “Ulysses is the greatest boss Lachesis has ever had!”

“Mia…” I looked at the young woman. I felt a mix of awe and dread at what she had said.

“Well…I guess that answers my question, there,” Geitz chuckled. “I don’t want you to simply retire, Ulysses. What I want from you…is to show everyone else here just pathetic you are. Alicia and Lloyd will be waiting for you in Yew. You, old man, along with anyone who has faith in his abilities as a leader, will wait here. What I want from you is to send people out to fight and defeat Alicia and Lloyd.”

“So, when you said ‘test,’ this is what you meant,” I said. “A challenge in tactics…”

“Correct. These won’t be fights to the death, of course. Unlike you, I care about my comrades,” Geitz said harshly. “And…to make sure you don’t skip out during your test…I’ll be taking this young lady hostage.” Geitz looked at Larraine. The dancer backed away, but Alicia caught hold of her arm. “If…you are successful…then I will leave, and never bother any of you again. But if you lose, Ulysses…Then I will make you suffer the same pain you forced me to endure at a very young age.” Geitz brought his hand to the side of his face, and brushed his fingers across his scar.

“Then force me to endure whatever it is you have in mind, but do not hurt any more of our comrades!” I yelled.

“Oh, no; you aren’t getting off that easily, old man,” Geitz retorted. “This test is to prove if you really are worthy of the previous master’s praise. If you fail, then you will suffer the consequences for all of your past actions!” My fingers tightened around the handle of my claymore.

“…I understand,” I said. “And how will I know if I’ve failed to meet your expectations?”

“When you run out of people to send to fight us,” Geitz motioned at himself, Alicia, and Lloyd. He then turned to face those of us who were still seated, other than Heather. “Whenever you’re ready…come and fight us in Yew. No time limits.”

“Yeah…wouldn’t want to inconvenience anyone,” Sparrow muttered under his breath.

“Good luck. You’ll definitely need it.” Lloyd and Neemon turned to walk out of the building, and Alicia gently tugged Larraine along after her. “Oh, and Ulysses…Don’t even think of leaving this fortress. If any of my allies so much as catches the slightest glimpse of you in Yew…Larraine is dead.” Geitz turned, and walked out of the building after the others. All of us stared out down the darkened hallway in a long moment of silence.

“…Um…Lucia hasn’t moved since Lloyd attacked her,” Matthew suddenly said. I bent down and looked at her.

“Damn it…she’s unconscious,” I murmured. “She was the only one here who stands a chance against someone as skilled as Geitz, let alone Lloyd and Alicia…” I looked around at those who had stayed put. Sparrow, Matthew, Eleanora, Elizabeth, Mia, Bokomon, Lilliana, Giselle, and Isole all had stayed put when Geitz left, as well as their own individual partner Digimon. Bokomon was quietly cursing out Neemon for his stupidity, and Heather had turned away from the rest of us. Tactimon, Sieglinde, Katsumi, Wayland, and Dominimon had all gone out on jobs.

“Heather…why are you going along with what he said?!” Eleanora asked. Silently, Heather shook her head.

“…This…wasn’t what I imagined it would be like,” Heather whispered. “I just…Geitz promised me…a safer Lachesis…for my children, when they’re born…” After a moment’s silence, I walked over to her.

“Heather…nobody here is angry with you,” I said gently. “Nobody here blames you for joining with him. You only wanted to do what you thought was the best choice for your children when they’re born. That doesn’t make you a traitor, nor does it make Lloyd one, or even Neemon.” Heather slowly shook her head as I heard Bokomon curse his unintelligent friend’s name once again. “Alicia…she probably went along with what Geitz has in store for us willingly; she idolizes Geitz to no end.”

“Ulysses…what should we do?” Mia asked. I sighed, and once again looked at Lucia.

“Lucia…is probably the only one here who can take on Geitz, as I said. But, there’s no way she could defeat him after fighting both Lloyd and Alicia…”

“I could go,” Mihiramon suggested. I looked at the Ultimate level Digimon.

“…I’ll send you out…when Lucia regains consciousness,” I said.

“Well, whatever we do, we need to act fast!” Sparrow shoved his fist into the palm of his hand. “He said we don’t have a time limit, but Larraine is still their hostage to make sure we do as they say!”

“I know…but we have to be careful about who we send to fight them,” I said. “I won’t be sending Matthew, Isole, Bokomon, or Lilliana into battle.”

“…Why not us?” Matthew asked. “We can’t fight yet…but our Digimon can!”

“I’m sorry, but that’s my decision. I’ll let Giselle go because I know exactly what her Digimon is capable of, but Coronamon and Kamemon can only reach the Champion level, isn’t that right?”

“…I used to be a Mega,” Coronamon said. “But…that was before I died and became reconfigured…”

“Ulysses, who will we be sending out first?” Mia asked. Again, I looked at the people before me.

Hmm…with Rosemon, Giselle just might be the strongest one here…Should I send them right away? Or, should I send out someone like Sparrow first to scout things out, or…My thoughts were interrupted by an abnormally loud snore. I looked to the far corner of the room, and found none other than AeroVeedramon snoozing away. AeroVeedramon…if he actually got serious for once, then maybe…he might stand a chance! I walked over to the Ultimate level Digimon, who was rubbing his snout after the previous loud snore.

“…Boss…what’cha want…?” AeroVeedramon mumbled.

“AeroVeedramon…do you think you could go out and fight?” I asked. After a drowsy sigh, AeroVeedramon slowly stood up and stretched his wings.

“Yeah…no prob,” came a reply with a yawn.

“Do you even know what’s happening?” Eleanora asked.
    “Don’t worry; Aero has phenomenal hearing in his sleep; maybe even better than when he’s awake,” I said. The dragon lumbered out of the room, and I could hear the flapping of his giant wings as he began to take flight. Good luck…AeroVeedramon…

Geitz Felgrande
    Yew
    20 Minutes

“…And you’re certain he’ll come?” Lloyd asked. He, Alicia, Neemon, and I sat atop the roof of one of the higher buildings in town. Larraine was behind us; her arms and legs were tied together, so she wouldn’t be able to escape.

“I have no doubt about it,” I replied. “I hit Lucia pretty hard; there’s no doubt she’ll be out cold for at least a few hours. Without her, the next strongest fighter there is easily AeroVeedramon. I’d have gotten to him earlier, but he was asleep. I needed to get to him while he’s awake.”

“Ooh, and speak of the scaly devil; I do believe that’s him,” Alicia said. I looked out onto the horizon. AeroVeedramon was flying slowly our way. After a few seconds, he landed on the roof with a disgruntled sigh.

“Okay, Geitz…just go ahead and give up,” AeroVeedramon said.

“Aero…So glad you could join us,” I said.

“Wha…Oh, never mind…Just give up. You won’t be able to win with these numbers, and you know it, Geitz.”

“Oh, of course I know it,” I laughed. “Would you…care to increase my numbers?”

“…Why would I—”

“Just look at yourself, buddy,” I said. “You’re out here, in the blazing hot sun, I’m sure after waking up from a pleasant dream and wonderful nap.”

“…I was a pretty bitchin’ dream…”

“And who was it that sent you out here?” I asked.

“…It was…Ulysses, but—”

“But nothing. Ulysses forced you to come all the way out here, maybe even against your will!”

“…What’s your point, Geitz?”

“Well, Aero…I just want you to know that we would never do that to you,” I smirked. “All Ulysses does is make you work, when you could be having pleasant dreams. With him gone, and out of the picture…those naps and dreams return.”

“…So…what do you want me to do?” AeroVeedramon asked.

“For now, just listen carefully; when this is all over with, you can sleep all you like, and for as long as you like.”

Chapter 14 - Aesthetics of Deprivation

Ulysses Melchett
    Lachesis Fortress
    30 Minutes

“…It’s been almost an hour since AeroVeedramon has departed,” I said. In those past minutes, everyone had remained quiet. Lucia had not yet regained consciousness. Mia and Elizabeth had helped Heather up to her room a few minutes ago, and were just now coming back into the lounge.

“He’s pretty slow; maybe he just hasn’t found them yet,” Sparrow suggested.

“No. He may seem slow because of his laziness, and he does walk slowly, but his flight speed is top class,” I said. “…I will…send a few people…out to search for him…”

“Ooh! Who’s it going to be?” Giselle asked excitedly. I looked at her, jumping up and down.

“…Giselle…At the moment, Rosemon is easily the strongest among all of us. We can’t just send her out right off the bat. I have a feeling that Geitz is expecting exactly that kind of mistake,” I said. “If we want to get Larraine back without a scratch on her…at the very least, the first thing we ought to do is scout the area, and find out exactly how willing Lloyd and Alicia are to go along with Geitz’s plan. If Lloyd isn’t willing he may not fight to his fullest ability…”

“But…if he does?” Eleanora asked. I sighed.

“Then we’ve got ourselves a real problem. He might be an even better fighter than Lucia, and with her unconscious…”

“How the hell is she still unconscious?!” Isole asked. “He only hit her twice!”

“It’s…because of something I did to her, very long ago,” Mihiramon asked. “Do you not remember it, Isole? You were very young at the time, as was Lucia. On our first encounter, I attacked her. When she recovered, and came back to me, I attacked again. Over and over she would do this until she finally gained my trust. However, due to all of the damage I’ve caused to her…there are a few…permanent issues she has. Her skull, for example; she was probably only ten or twelve at the time. She was hit with one of my attacks. Geitz must have hit her exactly or close to where I hit her, and thus, it did more damage to her than it would have to someone like, say, Sparrow. He must have known about that…that’s why he struck her on the head…”

“She might be out for a longer time than we expected; still a few hours to come, undoubtedly,” I said. “All right; Sparrow. Eleanora. You two, and your Digimon; head for Yew. Scout things out for us. Also…see if you can find AeroVeedramon. Come back in thirty minutes if you don’t find anything.”

“…What if we do find something…?” Sparrow asked.
    “In that case…just come back alive,” I said. Eleanora and Sparrow exchanged glances and nodded before leaving with their partner Digimon.

Eleanora Kasuto
    10 Minutes

“Something…doesn’t seem right,” I said. I walked through the unusually empty streets of Yew with Lunamon cradled in my arms.

“What do you mean?” Lunamon asked. “Is it because there’s nobody in sight?”

“No, not that; I was just…thinking about Geitz,” I replied. “I mean…do you really think he’d go to all this trouble just to dethrone Ulysses? I’m starting to think he’s got a deeper reason than that…”

“Well, Geitz did say he was going to make Ulysses suffer the pain that he did; maybe it has something to do with that?” Lunamon suggested.

“I don’t know…I feel like there’s something else…” After a few more seconds of walking, Lunamon’s ears perked up. “Lunamon? What’s wrong?”

“…I hear something,” she said. “Something is coming…from the sky…”

“Magnum Crusher!” A Digimon diving down out of the sky and struck the ground where I had been standing only seconds before. The crash sent bricks, dust, and dirt flying up into the air.

“…Well…it looks like we’ve found AeroVeedramon,” I said. The Holy Dragon stepped out from the dust, and walked out way. “Tell me; why did you suddenly change sides?!”

“Because…Geitz promised me…that when all of this was over, and Ulysses was no longer in control…he promised me…that I could sleep…for as long as I wanted…as much as I wanted,” he replied. “Don’t struggle…that makes it hard…for both of us…”

“…Like hell I won’t struggle!” I pulled out my Digivice, and held it out as it began to emit light.

“Lunamon Digivolve to, Lekismon!”

“…Of course…you’re going to struggle…” AeroVeedramon spread his wings and took flight.

“Moon Night Bomb!” Lekismon threw a watery sphere up at AeroVeedramon, who tore through it with the blade on his arm. “Tear Arrow!”

“Magnum Crusher!” Before Lekismon could attack, AeroVeedramon dove down and slammed his claw down on Lekismon, pinning her to the ground.

“Lekismon!” I drew my sword and charged at AeroVeedramon, but he flew up and out of the way quicker than I had ever seen him move before.

“…This is making me tired,” AeroVeedramon said. “I guess…I’ll have to unleash one of my strongest attacks…so I can sleep some more…”

“Strongest…attack…” Lekismon, with a struggle, sat up. “Eleanora…you have to leave…right away!”

“No; I’m not leaving you!” I cried. The Holy Dragon landed on the ground before us.

“Eleanora, do as I say!”

“Dragon Impulse!” AeroVeedramon launched a powerful blast of energy in the shape of a dragon from his mouth. The attack enveloped us in its light. For a brief moment, I couldn’t breathe as the attack burned my skin and tore my clothes. Lekismon degenerated back into Lunamon the very instant the attack hit us. Finally, it was all over; the attack had even burnt the ground beneath us, sending smoke flying into the air. “…Well…now there’s one less person to disturb—” I ran forth from the smoke, tightly holding on to my sword. AeroVeedramon could only look on in shock as I struck his right arm, drawing a good amount of blood.

“AeroVeedramon…tell Geitz that…he will never…win,” I panted. Unable to stand up any longer, I collapsed to the ground.
    “…Damn…you took one of my strongest attacks full on, and you can still move,” the dragon wheezed. “Marked or not, that should not have been possible…” I ignored him and closed my eyes shortly before losing consciousness.

Sparrow Lea

“Damn; nobody in sight,” I said. “Literally; nobody! These streets are usually packed with people walking around, but…nobody…”

“In that case, you’d think that would make it easy to find somebody,” Hawkmon said. “Perhaps people were frightened away when they saw AeroVeedramon flying around, looking for Geitz?”

“Yeah, maybe…” I stopped walking, and looked around. “We haven’t found anything; think we should head back?”

“Perhaps we ought to try and find Eleanora and see if she found anything?” Hawkmon suggested.

“Yeah; after we find her, we should probably—” The sound of an arrow hitting the ground just as I was about to take a step forward resonated through the air. Undaunted, I looked around, and saw Alicia sitting atop a building, looking down at me.

“Well, hello there, Sparrow,” Alicia said. “I’m surprised he sent you out after AeroVeedramon; we were all expecting him to send Giselle and Rosemon to defeat us in one fell swoop.”

“Ulysses is a lot smarter than you all give him credit for,” I retorted. “So, how’s the view up there, gorgeous? You always did enjoy looking down on others.”

“Oh, it’s a wonderful view, Sparrow,” she laughed.

“Yeah; can’t say that I object to my view either,” I chuckled, taking a quick peek up Alicia’s skirt.

“Well, go ahead and take a good look then; it might be the last thing you ever see,” Alicia whispered.

“Is that a threat?!” Hawkmon asked.

“Of course it is, silly Hawkmon.” Alicia stood up and jumped down off the one story building, pointing her arrowguns directly at us. Without warning, without hesitation, she began firing at will at the ground beneath us.

“Digi-Armor Energize!”

“Hawkmon Armor Digivolve to, Allomon, the Fangs of Courage!” I jumped onto my partner’s back as he began running towards Alicia. “Dino Burst!” Alicia skillfully jumped away from Allomon’s flames, laughing as she did. While in the air, she fired two more shots, striking Allomon’s knees. The Armor-level Digimon fell to the ground, roaring in pain and thrashing his large tail around. I jumped off just in time to avoid being crushed. I brandished my axe, but Alicia only laughed again.

“Do you really think you can defeat me with that letter opener?” she asked haughtily. Ignoring her taunt, I took a swing at her, but she gracefully and elegantly maneuvered around my weapon each time I swung at her. “Time to end this!” Alicia held up her two arrowguns and shot me, hitting both of my shoulders. The pain made me drop my axe. I fell to the ground at the same instant Allomon turned back into Hawkmon.

“Damn…you…Alicia…” My blood was slowly seeping from my wounds and out onto the streets.
    “You should know, Sparrow…I’m not as merciful as Lloyd,” Alicia said. She knelt down and pulled her arrows from my shoulders. “I went along with Geitz’s plan willingly…” The sexy sniper turned to walk away, and I soon blacked out from the blood loss.

Geitz Felgrande

It had been a while since I had sent out my allies. With AeroVeedramon around, defeating Ulysses was sure to be even easier than ever, and it was even simpler than I thought to convince him to join me. Lloyd, Alicia, and AeroVeedramon had been gone a while, leaving me alone with Larraine on the same rooftop. To my relief, she had remained silent, until…

“Geitz? May I…ask why you’re really doing this?” Larraine asked. I breathed an annoyed sigh.

“Fine…” I turned around to face her. “When I was only a little pipsqueak, ‘bout nine or ten years old…there was a bandit raid in my home village. Ulysses and a few others from Lachesis had come to help, but…because of the way Ulysses does things…the way he acts first, and asks questions later got several of the villagers caught up in the brawl, and even killed some of them. Two of them…where my parents.”

“Ulysses…got your parents killed,” Larraine whispered.

“Now do you see why I want that bastard out of power?” I asked. “This isn’t some worthless game I’m playing, here; I want him to know what it feels like to lose those he cares about because of his own careless actions. I will humiliate him; I will tear his heart to pieces! I will ruin Ulysses for what he did to me!” I knelt down and grabbed Larraine’s arm, hoisting her up. “C’mon; it’s starting to get cold out. Let’s go in.” Larraine remained silent as I helped her walk into the building.

Chapter 15 - Advance

Mihiramon
    Lachesis Fortress

“…It’s been over an hour…Eleanora and Sparrow haven’t returned yet,” Ulysses said. “AeroVeedramon is still not back. Damn it; what the hell is going on?!”
    “It’s starting to get late,” I said, looking out a window at the sky, which was turning a faint shade of orange.

“What should we do?” Mia asked. “We can’t just sit here! We have to do something!”

“I know, I know; but we can’t afford to lose any more of us,” Ulysses said. “Rosemon and Mihiramon are the strongest people here, and we can’t send them out just yet; we have to wait until later, when Geitz and the others have tired themselves out.”

“All right. I found it.” Isole came walking into the room, holding an old-looking book.

“What is that?” I asked.

“One of Katsumi’s spellbooks. I’m going to use it to heal Lucia.”

“Do you know how to use magic?” Ulysses asked.

“Nope; only tactics. Brought this for Lilliana.”

“M—Me?!” the young girl asked.

“Yep. You’re still a mage in-training, but you’ve got potential,” Isole said, handing the book to Lilliana. “…I know this is something you are capable of. I wouldn’t be asking you otherwise, you know?” Lilliana looked up wide-eyed at the other girl.

“…Okay. I’ll do my very best!” Lilliana jumped down off her chair and walked over to Lucia.

“Isole…what will happen if this doesn’t work?” I whispered. “If Lilliana is unable to properly cast the spell…what would happen?”

“A rebound,” Isole whispered back. “If a healing spell is cast incorrectly, then…” Isole looked down at Lilliana and Lucia. “It means death…”

“And you’re willing to risk Lucia’s life over this?!” I growled.

“I’d rather risk hers…than Larraine’s,” Isole replied. “And I think you and I both know that Lucia would say the exact same thing.” I opened my mouth to speak, but said nothing. I knew she was right, so I remained silent as a bright light suddenly appeared underneath Lucia, along with a magical array.

“Okay…this is it!” Lilliana exclaimed. She held out her hands, which began emitting a similar glow. A bright light covered everything and everyone in the room in its blinding glare before vanishing. Everyone in the room looked down at Lucia in anticipation. Her single eye instantly opened.

“Lucia…you’re okay!” Ulysses exclaimed.

“…Damn…how long was I out?” Lucia sat up and clutched her head.

“A few hours, at least,” I replied. “Geitz and the others have taken Larraine to Yew. We’ve sent Sparrow, Eleanora, and AeroVeedramon to fight him, Alicia, and Lloyd, but none of them have returned yet.”

“So…the bastard went and caused a schism, did he?!” Lucia stood up and jumped onto my back. “That son of a bitch; I swear, if he hurts Larraine, he’s dead!”
    Ulysses laughed. “I guess there’s no point in me convincing you to go, is there?”

“None at all.”

“I see. Giselle, Elizabeth, and Mia,” Ulysses looked at the three young women. “You three go with her, and split up when you get to Yew.”

“You got it, Mr. Boss!” Mia exclaimed happily.

“We shall do as you wish,” Elizabeth said.

“What are the rest of you going to do?” Giselle asked. She looked at Matthew, Isole, Lilliana, and Ulysses.

“I have been forbidden from stepping foot in Yew, lest something dreadful happen to Larraine. Isole is a noncombatant. Matthew and Lilliana are still in-training, and their own Digimon aren’t strong enough to stand up to any of Geitz’s allies.”

“I resent that!” Coronamon exclaimed.

“Don’t worry, Ulysses,” Lucia said. “We’ll make sure nothing happens to Larraine.” Mia, Elizabeth, and Giselle followed me out of the fortress. Once outside, I immediately took flight, flying as fast as I could to Yew.

“Are you unharmed, Lucia?” I asked.

“Don’t worry about me,” she replied. She reached into the scabbard around my shoulders and retrieved her special axe, which she called the Pendulum Axe. “Just worry about the upcoming fight.”

“…You never change, Lucia,” I whispered to myself with a smirk. As I continued flying, a familiar scent caught my attention, and I slowed my flying speed.

“Mihiramon? What’s wrong?” Lucia asked.

“…I smell someone…familiar,” I said. Lucia looked down to the ground below, and smiled.
    “It seems that a certain man has decided to join in as well,” Lucia said. “One of Lachesis’s oldest, wisest, and strongest…Edmund Luxord!”

Giselle Devereaux
    Yew

I had been left alone, strolling along the deserted streets of Yew for several minutes.

I wish I brought a coat; it’s starting to get cold. I looked up at the now completely orange sky. The sun was just about to vanish over the horizon, even though it was only 3 or 4 o’clock. Less daylight in winter…less time to go shopping, back when my parents were…when they were…still alive. I pushed the thought out of my head, and took my Digivice out from my pocket. “Rosemon, realize!” The form of the tall Mega instantly began to materialize in front of me. “Rosemon, did you hear about what’s going on?”

“Yes; I caught the general gist of things. And I was flattered when people were saying that I was the strongest there,” Rosemon replied. “Something about a schism, right? That Geitz jerk started it, and we need to find and kick his ass, right?”

“Yep! You’re so smart, Rosy!” I exclaimed.

“Why, thank you, Giselle,” Rosemon said. “But unfortunately, it will take more than flattery to defeat any of them.” Rosemon and I looked at each other, and smiled. Rosemon’s smile soon vanished, and she began frantically looking around in the sky.

“Rosemon? What’s wrong?” I asked. “Is somebody coming?”

“…Giselle. Stay low, okay?” Rosemon asked. “Take cover in that alleyway over there.” I looked up at her in shock; usually, I would have argued with her about not wishing to abandon her or something similar, but this time, I kept my mouth shut, and did as she asked of me. When I was safely hidden, Rosemon looked straight up. “…You can come out now…AeroVeedramon.”

“…You knew I was nearby,” the dragon said, quietly landing on the ground. “Was I…too loud?”

“Not really. You were actually pretty quiet, so it’s no surprise Giselle couldn’t hear you,” Rosemon said. “But, I am a Digimon. You’d have had a better chance of hiding in the sky if you painted yourself red.”

“Yeah, I guess…So, shall we get started?”

“A question, first. AeroVeedramon…why did you suddenly side with Geitz?” Rosemon asked.

“Oh…you knew? Yeah, about that…Geitz just promised me I could sleep once all of this was over,” AeroVeedramon said. “How’d you know I joined him?”

“Like I said, I knew you were flying above us. I wondered why you didn’t just come right down and talk to us…I figured that was because you were waiting for Giselle to leave.”

“…Heh. You’re sharp, just like the newbie said,” AeroVeedramon said. “Yeah…I was waiting for Giselle to leave; don’t like hurting those who don’t fight back…Which is why I was glad I ran into Eleanora earlier.”

“Eleanora…is she—”

“Enough. I grow weary of simply talking,” AeroVeedramon interrupted. “The sooner we get our fight over with…the sooner I can take another nap…”

“Very well, then. Rose Spear!” With the slightest flick of her wrist, Rosemon swung her whip through the air, and had AeroVeedramon not jumped back in time, the dragon would have undoubtedly had his arm torn off.

“Damn, girl, you sure are taking this seriously,” AeroVeedramon sighed.

“Rose Spear!” AeroVeedramon flew up into the sky just in time to avoid another of Rosemon’s attacks.

“Well…I guess if you’re taking this seriously…then I should, too…”

“What do you mean?” Rosemon asked.

“Against Eleanora…I used one of my stronger attacks…but I think for you, Rosemon…I should use my very strongest!” AeroVeedramon spread his large wings, and became surrounded in flames.

Oh no! Rosemon, please…be okay!

“Forbidden Temptation!”

“V-Wing Blade!” As AeroVeedramon flew down towards Rosemon at high speed, Rosemon in turn fired a blast of pink energy at the charging dragon. However, AeroVeedramon was able to fly clear through Rosemon’s attack until he crashed into the Mega level, shoving her deep into the stone pavement.

“Rosemon! No!!!” AeroVeedramon flew back up into the sky, and looked down at the Digimon he felled.

“Giselle…don’t worry…I’ll be…okay,” Rosemon wheezed, digging herself out of the dirt.

“Rosemon, please…let me help you!” I said.

“No…I’ll be fine,” she replied.

“Dragon Impulse!” Without hesitation, I removed my Digivice from my pocket.

“Charge! D.N.A. Burst Mode!” Rosemon looked at me as I placed my hand over my Data Link Digivice. I saw a small smile as she became enveloped in light, changing into Rosemon Burst Mode. AeroVeedramon stopped his attack, and looked at the new Digimon standing before him. “…Do it, Rosemon.”

“Jewel of Heart!” The glowing jewels floating around Rosemon Burst Mode began flying around AeroVeedramon, each of them striking him hard enough for me to hear them collide into the Holy Dragon. After a few seconds of this, AeroVeedramon fell to the ground, unconscious (or asleep.)

“…Wow…we did it! Rosemon, we did it!” I exclaimed.

“Yeah…we…took out one of Geitz’s allies,” Rosemon said.
    “Ooh, just wait until I tell Isole about this!”

“…Why?” Rosemon asked.

“‘Cause! She’s my best friend in all of Lachesis!” I replied. “Oh, besides you, of course!”

“…If you insist,” Rosemon said in a voice filled with uncertainty.

Geitz Felgrande

“Ulysses…still hasn’t accomplished anything,” I said. I sat inside a deserted shrine that was located in the middle of Yew. It was several centuries old, but I could never figure out why it had been abandoned in the first place. I placed Larraine in a different room where I had Neemon watching her. Which is probably a bad idea, now that I think about it, knowing how stupid Neemon is…

You are doing well, Felgrande,” a mysterious voice said. I knew not who it belonged to, and normally, I’d have been up and alert, ready to attack whoever spoke to me. But instead, I remain seated, calm as ever.

“…Yes.”

Well then…I suppose you know what must come next.” The voice didn’t even sound as though it came from anyone in the room, as if the voice was speaking directly into my mind.

“No…tell me.”

Oh, very well. I suppose I can give you my assistance. But be grateful for it, now!” A puff of black smoke seeped from the floor. It grew larger and larger, and soon, it took the form of a Digimon I had never seen before.

“You…who are you?” I asked. “You’re not…IceDevimon…” The Digimon’s presence sent a chill down my spine. He did look familiar for some reason, but I knew I had never seen the Digimon.

“I am ShadowSeraphimon,” the Digimon said. “IceDevimon is a being far greater than you could ever hope to imagine.”

“…What do you want from me?” I asked.

“Like I said…I am here only to aid you…in this upcoming battle of yours,” ShadowSeraphimon said. “Trust nobody. Feed your anger. Only anger…will make you strong enough to achieve your most desired goal, Felgrande.”

“…Is that so…”

“Here. Take my power. My darkness. Use it for yourself; use it to grow stronger…” I blinked. ShadowSeraphimon was nowhere to be seen.
    Did that…really happen?

Larraine

I tried my best to stretch my arms, but as they were tied behind my back, this was a difficult task, if not completely impossible.

“Are you okay, Larraine?” Neemon asked.

“No…I’m fine, dear,” I replied. “Neemon…why did you decide to follow Geitz?”

“Because he walked out of the ‘Foretress’.”

“Um…it’s ‘fortress,’ actually, and…when I say ‘follow,’ I mean…why do you agree with what Geitz is thinking?” I asked.

“Oh, I have no idea what Geitz is thinking,” Neemon said.

“You…don’t?”

“Because I’m not a mind reader, am I? Hmm?” I couldn’t help but laugh at Neemon’s ridiculous response. He could say the craziest things, but I felt his naïve sincerity quite refreshing. “Do you know what Geitz is thinking?!”

“Um…yes, actually, I do,” I answered. Neemon gasped.

“Holy sock! You are a mind reader!”

“…Yes…also, Geitz is…he’s planning on doing some very mean things.” Neemon gasped again.

“He is?! That sounds…mean!”

“Yes, it is. But…nobody can do a thing about it if I’m trapped here,” I said sadly. I don’t like taking advantage of somebody like this…but I want my friends at Lachesis to be safe! If I can get back home without Geitz noticing… “Neemon…would you please help me out? I can’t get back home while I’m tied up…”

“Sure!” Neemon placed his mouth around the ropes constricting my hands and feet and began chewing. “This tastes bad!”

“Neemon…it’s not good for you to eat rope,” I said.

“It’s not?”

“Don’t you remember Bokomon telling you that yesterday?”

“Oh yeah! Not really.” Neemon resumed chewing on the ropes. After about ten minutes, I was finally free.

“Okay, Neemon, I’m free…you can stop eating the rope, now,” I said.

“But I’m hungry!” Neemon swallowed the rest of the rope in one long slurp.

“All right…now that…that…is all dealt with…we can escape!” I said. “C’mon, Neemon!” I opened the window and climbed out, thankful that I was on the first floor of the building. I quietly walked away, but after a few moments, I noticed Neemon wasn’t with me. I went back to the shrine, and found that Neemon had walked into the wall and knocked himself unconscious. At that point, I decided to carry him.

Chapter 16 - Battle for the Future

Lucia Delbray
    Yew

“Don’t you think we ought to try and find Edmund?” Mihiramon asked.

“No. Edmund can take care of himself,” I replied. I shifted my weight around constantly, as sitting on Mihiramon’s back for a long time always made me feel sore. “As for the situation…he’s smart. I know he’ll be able to figure out what’s going on, and I have no doubt that he’d help us.”

“Well, if you insist…” Mihiramon turned a smooth curve in the air. After all of the years I had ridden on his back, I didn’t even need to hold on to him as he flew, even when he looped around in the sky. “…I’m getting tired. Let’s take a short break.”

“Very well; we can resume our search on foot,” I replied. Mihiramon dove slowly to the ground until he landed. The Exalted Beast spread his massive wings and stretched. Oh, Larraine…where are they keeping you? I thought. This is…just like before…when I first met her…I just hope she doesn’t unleash ‘that.’

“Lucia, are you all right?” Mihiramon asked.

“Oh…yes, I’m fine,” I said. “I was…just thinking about Larraine…”

“She’ll be okay, Lucia. Just keep walking; we’re sure to find somebody soon.”

“Unless that somebody finds you first!” said a voice from up above. I looked up, and saw Alicia sitting on the rooftop of somebody’s house. She was pointing one of her arrowguns directly at me. “Don’t move…unless you want me to shoot the buttons clear off your shirt…”

“You have all gone too far!” I said. “I don’t know what kind of grudge Geitz has against Ulysses, but dragging Larraine into the middle of it all…That is unforgiveable. And…for your own safety…you should give her back to us.”

“For our safety?” Alicia asked. “Surely, you don’t mean you’d kill us for her…”

“I am not speaking of myself. Larraine…holds the power to destroy us all. If you provoke her enough…who knows how many will be killed?”

“…You’re bluffing!” Alicia yelled, and jumped up to her feet. She fired a few shots from her arrowguns at Mihiramon and me, but we were both able to avoid them all. I jumped onto Mihiramon’s back and held up my axe. With a look of fear, Alicia turned and ran away, racing across the roofs of several homes.

“After her, Mihiramon! Don’t let her get away!” I shouted. With a mighty roar, Mihiramon jumped up and began galloping in the air after the fleeing sniper. In no time at all, we caught up to her.

“Samurai Tiger Tail!” Mihiramon turned his tail into a three-sectioned staff, and struck Alicia on the back of her head. She was out cold before she even fell down. I jumped down off Mihiramon and picked her up before she rolled off the slanted roof. “Lucia? What should we do?”
    “…Let’s take her back home, first,” I sighed. “After that, we can resume our search for Larraine.”

Ulysses Melchett
    Lachesis Fortress

“Sir…it’s getting late,” Matthew said.

“I know,” I replied. Ever since Lucia left, I stared out the front exit of the ancient fortress. Nobody has come in or out since.

“…What will we do about dinner?” I heard Lilliana whisper. “Everyone who normally cooks isn’t here…”

“Oh, I’ll do it,” Isole sighed.

“Hey, I can cook!” Coronamon chimed in. “I remember I used to do it a lot in one of my past lives!”

“I’d be more than happy to assist as well,” Bokomon added.

“That’s good. I don’t know how to turn on the stove, anyway,” Isole said. This comment was followed by an awkward silence. My fingers tightened around the hilt of my claymore. I felt so useless just sitting here, but I knew I couldn’t go out and fight with Larraine’s life at risk. I stood up, about to walk into my room when I heard the sounds of running footsteps. I turned around, and saw none other than Larraine herself running towards me.

“Ulysses! I’m back! I’m back!” she exclaimed. Cradled in her arms was an unconscious Neemon.

“You…You managed to escape?!” I exclaimed.

“Yup! I managed to convince Neemon here to free me,” Larraine said, gasping for breath.

“You’re back,” I said quietly. “That means…”

“You can go out and kick Geitz’s stupid ass,” Isole said. “And now that she’s here, I won’t poison everyone else with my cooking…” I looked at the small group before me.

“My friends…when I return…Geitz will no longer be a threat to us,” I said. “For all that he has done…for the threat on Larraine’s life…He will never step foot in this fortress again!”

“You’re…going to banish him? Or are you going to kill him?” Larraine asked.
    “…That decision will be up to Geitz, Larraine,” I said, turning to leave the fortress.

Mia Kiru
    Yew

“Wow, it’s really getting dark,” I said. The sun still lingered on the horizon, but just barely.

“Should we start heading back, then?” Elizabeth asked from atop Quetzalmon’s back.

“Yeah…poor Ulysses must be worried sick; we should’ve been back about ten or twenty minutes ago,” I said. Elizabeth and I turned around, only to see Lloyd.

“…I had hoped not to run into the two of you,” he said.

“So…does that mean you’re going to fight us or not?” I asked. I placed a hand into my purse and pulled out a Digimon Talisman as Elizabeth, after dropping down from Quetzalmon’s back, drew a knife from the holster on her leg. In the smallest fraction of a second, Lloyd drew his sword and struck down Elizabeth. Blood went flying everywhere as she hit the ground, clutching the wound that spread from the top of her right shoulder to the left side of her belly.

“You…Lloyd…How dare you hurt Elizabeth?!” Quetzalmon shouted. “Freezing Wave!” Lloyd turned and swung his sword again, cutting a large wound through Quetzalmon’s side. The Armor Level Digimon fell to the ground next to Elizabeth, bleeding heavily. I could only look on in awe and fear as Lloyd returned his sword to its scabbard. “…W—Why did you…do that?!” Lloyd turned and looked at me.

“Elizabeth was in my way. You, Mia, are the stronger opponent.”

“…You hurt her…because of something like that?!” I asked.

“You are a Digimon Summoner…which means I can let loose without worrying about killing anyone, as your Spirits are immortal.”

Come forth, MegaKabuterimon!” Lloyd smiled as the giant Insect Digimon apparated in front of me.

“An opponent with strength and skill of this caliber…to show them my respect, that requires me to go all out in a fight,” Lloyd said, reaching for the sword strapped to his back. “This sword…the Akinakes…I received it from my friend, Dinohyumon, as a parting gift. And now…your Spirit shall fall before it in my friend’s name!”

“I don’t think so; Horn Buster!” MegaKabuterimon fired a powerful blast from his horn at Lloyd, but the swordsman easily maneuvered around it and struck the Digimon Spirit with the giant blade. MegaKabuterimon fell over backwards, and vanished. My heart was pounding in my chest as Lloyd wiped the blood from his sword.

“C—Come forth, Blastmon!” At once, the massive Mineral Digimon Blastmon appeared before me. Blastmon cracked his knuckles and looked down at Lloyd.
    “…Your ace in the hole, immediately?” Lloyd asked. “How unlike you, Mia. How truly…pathetic.”

“Final Subagōn Punch!” Blastmon was about to smash his fist into Lloyd when the swordsman jumped in the air and struck the Mineral Digimon in the face with his sword, instantly defeating him. Frantically, I searched through my purse for another Talisman, but when Lloyd landed on the ground, he grabbed my arm and looked me straight in the eyes.

“When you are gone…Ulysses will have no choice but to endure the torture for his misguided past,” he said. “Now…perish!” Lloyd raised his sword, but stopped when a bright flash of light struck him from behind.

“Now, now…that most certainly is no way to treat a lady,” said a familiar voice. With a frightened look on his face, Lloyd turned around.

“…Edmund!” I gasped. “You’ve returned!”

“…Edmund Luxord,” Lloyd muttered. His grip tightened around Akinakes, but he turned and looked away from Edmund.

“I don’t fully understand what’s going on, Lloyd, but it seems quite obvious to me that there are those among our group who have chosen to turn coat and play for the other side,” Edmund said. “A new player to this sick game of Geitz’s. Tell me; will the Swordsman crumble and fall to the Archsage? Or, will he turn tail and run?” Lloyd’s grip on his sword tightened, but then loosened. The giant blade fell to the ground.

“…I didn’t…want…to do this,” Lloyd said.

“I know,” I whispered. “Heather told us why…when you all left. She told us that you wanted to make a home that your children would be safe in.” Lloyd nodded.
    “There is no shame in a task like that,” Edmund added. “To protect those you care about; that is what makes us all people. It is what keeps us going. It is what separates us from the Thanatos Bandits, and all of the evil Digimon in the world. So don’t feel any shame for turning on us for such a noble goal.” Lloyd slumped to his knees.

“…I…I’m sorry,” he sobbed.

“And you needn’t concern yourselves over the welfare of either Elizabeth of Quetzalmon,” Edmund said. “With my magic, I healed their injuries. They’ll be fine upon the morrow, Mia.”

“Oh…Thank you, Edmund!”

“…Um…May I ask why you’ve chosen to wrap your arms around mine?”

“Yes, I did,” I said dreamily.

“…Very…well, then. I’ve…no objections,” Edmund said.

Chapter 17 - Path of the Darkness

Ulysses Melchett
    Yew

The sun had officially set by the time I set foot in Yew. With the directions I received from Larraine, I found the ancient shrine she had been kept in no time. I gripped my Digivice in my free hand, and kicked open the doors, where I saw Geitz sitting and waiting patiently.

“…Surprised you came, old man,” he said. “Guess you don’t care about Larraine’s life after all. Not that I’d care about that filth—”

Shut your mouth, Geitz!” I screamed. “Larraine is back home at Lachesis with Neemon, and she gave me directions to this shrine!”

“Well…I guess that explains how you managed to find me,” Geitz said. “You always were bad at finding things on your own.”

“…Why are you waiting here?” I asked. “This was a shrine dedicated to worshiping the Goddess Arcadia. Why are you here?”

“Because this is where my parents were killed,” Geitz replied. “And they were killed…by you, Ulysses.” I was overcome by shock.

“…Maybe you’re right,” I said. “I do…tend to act before thinking. That gets those around me into trouble. But, I’ve never had to worry about it before because I always had comrades around me to make up for my shortcomings. And I, in turn, make up for theirs. We all complete each other, back home at Lachesis. Me and my comrades…Comrades like you…Geitz.” Geitz’s eyes widened in anger.

“Shut up…Shut up! Shut the fuck up, Geitz! You don’t know anything!!” Geitz picked up his lances and swung them around, and I in turn swung my claymore to protect myself, deflecting each thrust of Geitz’s lances. “You’re out of your league, old man! If you were a bit younger, you would probably win, but now?! You’re way too old!”

“Hasn’t anyone ever told you…to respect your elders?!” I swung my claymore and skewered its tip in the middle of Geitz’s left shoulder. He dropped both lances immediately, and I forcefully yanked my weapon out of his shoulder. Geitz dropped to the floor, clutching his bloody shoulder with a pained expression on his scarred face. “Geitz…give up this madness. You could have won against just me, but against all of Lachesis? You never had a chance!” Geitz looked up at me. His face was contorted with rage and pain.

“Don’t…talk…down…to…me!!!” Geitz stood back up, raising his fists. I sighed.

“Geitz…Would you just listen to me for—” I was interrupted when the front doors of the shrine slammed shut. A black, shadowy entity appeared beneath Geitz. “Geitz…what is…going on?”

“Ulysses…I will never lose to you; I won’t be defeated by the man who got my parents killed!” Geitz shouted. The darkness had completely surrounded Geitz. “Darkness…is my greatest weapon! I will use it to blot out stains like you from history forever!” Geitz had completely vanished from sight, but from behind the darkness, I could hear him laughing. The darkness began to fade. Geitz had become covered in an eerily pitch-black suit of armor. “I…am…Duskmon!”

“Duskmon…you…you’ve been turned into a Digimon?!” I asked. Duskmon’s armor was covered in large eyes, and each and every one of them were staring directly at me. A blood-red sword extended from the armor covering Geitz’s arm and hand.

“Ulysses…you die…now! Blood Strike!” Duskmon rushed forward and swung his sword, slicing clear through my claymore. Another sword protruded from Duskmon’s other hand, and he swung it at my head. I instantly kicked him in the chest, making the Digimon take a few steps back and miss me completely. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my Digivice. “…That Digivice…the Fusion Loader?! I never knew…you had one…”

“Reload; Firamon! Gwappamon!” the two Champion level Digimon instantly materialized before me.

“Wait…These two…aren’t they the partners of Matthew and Lilliana?” Duskmon asked.

“They are. I had a feeling you’d have a trick up your sleeve, Geitz, so they decided to follow along after me,” I replied. I held up my Fusion Loader once more. “Are you two ready?”

“Yes, sir,” Firamon replied.

“Ready to kick this traitor’s ass, sir!” Gwappamon exclaimed.

“Good. Firamon! Gwappamon! Digi-Fuse!”

“LoaderLiomon!” the new Digimon stepped forward, growling at Duskmon.

“…Do you not have a partner Digimon of your own, Ulysses?” Duskmon asked.

“Oh, I do. He’s far too big to let loose in a place like this, though, and I wouldn’t dare risk letting him out in a place like Yew, where he could cause some major damage,” I said.

“…Whatever. The end result will not change.”

“Loader Morningstar!” LoaderLiomon shot the iron spikes from his tail at Duskmon, who was able to nimbly sidestep out of the way of all of them
    “Deadly Gaze!” Duskmon unleashed red energy beams from his hands and the eyes decorating his armor at both me and LoaderLiomon. I was hit directly in the chest and sent flying into a wall. The attack burned a hole clear through my shirt and burned my skin. I looked over at LoaderLiomon, who had turned back into Coronamon and Kamemon.

“N—No…Coronamon…Kamemon…”

“Maybe you should have brought out your own Digimon partner rather than leave the work to another’s,” Duskmon said, approaching the fallen Rookies.

“Quick — back into the Fusion Loader!” I held up my Digivice once more, and the two injured Digimon disappeared in its light.

“Now, only you remain,” Duskmon said. He pointed one of his swords directly between my eyes. “Good riddance…Ulysses! Lunar—” The doors of the shrine slammed open once again.

“Goddess Bow!” An arrow enveloped in light and water flew through the open doors and struck the eyeball on Duskmon’s chest dead center.

“Ulysses, are you okay?!” Mia asked, helping me to sit up. Sparrow and Eleanora were both at my side, as were Hawkmon and Lunamon. The Digimon Spirit Aquarimon walked in after them.

“…Geitz…has turned into that…Digimon you see before you,” I said.

“Yeah, I had a feeling that was him when we came in,” Sparrow said.

“But don’t worry, sir; we’ll help you fight him, no matter how strong he is,” Eleanora added.

“I don’t know how much help I’ll be,” Mia said. “Aquarimon here is the only Digimon Spirit I have left who can fight…”

“You needn’t worry, Mia,” Aquarimon said, smiling gently at Mia. “Even if Duskmon is too strong for me, I won’t let him hurt you or your friends.” Duskmon looked at the Mega level Digimon.

“…None of you…have any futures,” Duskmon said. “You will all…perish…” I sighed.

“Darkness has corrupted Geitz’s mind. I doubt he any longer has any sense of self,” I said. “Are you all ready to fight?”

“We wouldn’t be here otherwise,” Sparrow said. Hawkmon nodded in agreement.

“…Good.” Once more, I pulled out my Fusion Loader. “Lunamon! Hawkmon! Digi-Fuse!”

“Saberdramon!”

“Saberdramon…you can do it!” Eleanora said.

“Night Roar!” A rain of burning feathers shot out of Saberdramon’s wings; Duskmon began frantically swinging his swords, trying to strike each and every one of them.

“This ends now,” Aquarimon said. The God Man Digimon snapped her fingers, and a large urn, overflowing with water, emerged from the ground underneath her feet. “Aquarius Wyvern!” Water from the urn began to swirl around Aquarimon’s body, taking the shape of an enormous dragon. Aquarimon took flight, gracefully maneuvering around Saberdramon’s feathers until she made contact with Duskmon. A huge blast of water erupted like a geyser when she collided into him, forcing the two Digimon backwards. Aquarimon crashed into her urn, sending it toppling over and spilling water all over the floor. Duskmon was sent flying into a wall, gasping for breath. Bits and pieces of the dark warrior’s body flew off, and in that instant, I knew Geitz was dying. Duskmon’s body began to fade away, leaving Geitz behind.

“…Is he…dead?” Eleanora asked.

“No. But he is…close,” I whispered. I walked over to the fallen man. To my astonishment, his body was fading away the same as the Digimon do when they die. “You’re…disappearing?!”

“Don’t be so…surprised…old man,” Geitz wheezed. “As you’ve said…I’ve been…turned into a Digimon…so now…I die as they do.”

“Does that mean…you’re going to the Dark Area?” Sparrow asked.

“Humans can go there anyway…moron,” Geitz said. “But only…their souls. I guess…I lost my soul…I traded it away for darkness…and that is a decision…I will never…regret.” Geitz closed his eyes, and vanished completely from sight.

“…That’s it. He’s…gone,” Eleanora said. “After what he said about those who have the Mark…I thought I’d be happy to see him dead…but it’s the opposite…”

“Yeah…hard to believe the bastard’s actually gone forever,” Sparrow said hoarsely.

Whereas those two felt sadness at Geitz’s parting, I felt nothing. Emptiness. I was neither glad nor angry that Geitz was dead. “You three…do I truly deserve…to be the ruler of Lachesis?” I asked.

“Of course you do, Ulysses!” Mia exclaimed. “Who cares about what Geitz thought about you?! That doesn’t make you any less of a ruler!”

“…Let’s get you back home, sir,” Eleanora said. “We all need time to rest, and to think about everything that’s just happened…”

“…Yes…you’re right, Eleanora.” I turned to face those who had come to help me. “Thank you…all of you. If you hadn’t come to help me, Duskmon would have killed me.”
    “…Don’t think anything of it, sir,” Sparrow said. “As Edmund would say…it’s only natural for the pawns to protect the king.”

Lachesis Fortress – Lounge
    20 Minutes

“Geitz…is dead,” I said. This news sent murmurs of shock throughout the crowd before me. Alicia, Lloyd, and AeroVeedramon all had varying degrees of expressions; Alicia was horrified, Lloyd seemed surprised, and AeroVeedramon was fast asleep. The three were, along with Elizabeth, Eleanora, Sparrow, and their Digimon, being healed by Lilliana and — to my surprise — Edmund Luxord. “I have…nothing to say about what happened today. You may blame me, if you wish, for the death of Geitz, and also for driving him to do this.”

“No; do not blame yourself, sir,” Edmund said. “Geitz did what he did of his own free will. You cannot blame yourself for the actions of others.”

“Well…in any case, I wish to congratulate those who were brave enough to stand up to Geitz,” I said. “You stuck with me, and did what I said, in spite of what Geitz said about me…all of which was true.” I heard Mia disagree with me quite loudly from the audience. “And those of you who chose to side with Geitz…I wish only to apologize to you. I apologize for letting you down, and for making you feel like you weren’t safe with me in charge. Geitz wished for me to learn from my mistakes, and in a way, I did. When he threatened Larraine, I knew I had to put aside my rush-in headfirst way of doing things. I was able to do as he wished…and I won, because of it. None of my comrades had ever been in danger like that before, or so I thought; but as it turns out, we are all in danger every day. Whether we have a weapon in our hand or not, we all have a chance of dying on the battlefield. I never stopped to consider this before…but because of what Geitz did today…I now realize this to be the truth. Because of the work all of us do, even off the battlefield, we are still in danger of being attacked by bandits. Geitz may not have gotten revenge for his parents — who were, sadly, killed because of my own foolish actions — but he also wanted me to learn the errs of my past, and I did. Everything he did was not in vain. He may not have accomplished his fondest desire, but he helped to shape a better future for us all. A future where I can truly and earnestly protect the people that I care about…all of you.” Everyone in the audience was stunned silent by my speech — although, Neemon always looked that way.

“Wow…I never took you for a speech giver, Ulysses,” Sparrow said.
    “Hey, I didn’t, either,” I chuckled. “I just made all of that up off the top of my head, but that doesn’t make it any less true.”

The new Lachesis has had its first taste of darkness. Far down the road, ShadowSeraphimon will continue to torment them. But, what is his true role in this saga? Only time will tell…

~Wisemon

Chapter 18 - The Great Thief

Matthew Kasuto
    Lachesis Fortress
    2 Weeks

Life at the Lachesis guild had gone pretty much back to normal. Everyone continued to do their various jobs. Eleanora continued to baby me on our missions. Sparrow continued flirting with every girl in sight. Everyone acted as though they had completely forgotten about what Geitz did on the day he died. Well, everyone except for Alicia. She continued to mourn for the loss of Geitz Felgrande, blaming herself for what had happened. Everyone in the guild continued to console her, saying that she did nothing wrong (even though she beat up Sparrow and Allomon, and attacked Lucia and Mihiramon.) Of course, I hadn’t been there, so I don’t know for sure of every last thing that had happened. However, I had an uneasy feeling that Alicia would continue to blame herself for the rest of her life.

On the plus side, Edmund Luxord had returned on that day. He was the type of person to go out on journeys and not come back for a long time, but everyone in the guild rejoiced each and every one of his safe returns.

Nobody has said anything about Geitz’s transformation into a Digimon. Everyone simply acted like it never happened. But it was the only thing on my mind since that day.

A Human turning into a Digimon so suddenly like that?! And it doesn’t seem that the transforming was an ability of Duskmon’s, which possibly means Geitz probably didn’t know he would turn into Duskmon, either. What happened on that day?! Did that IceDevimon have anything to do with it? My mind buzzed with these sorts of questions every minute of every day. It made me feel uneasy, to know that a Digimon as powerful and clearly evil as IceDevimon roamed free, and Geitz’s transformation and death didn’t help these thoughts, and I couldn’t help but feel like they were connected somehow. However, all of these thoughts and feelings were put on hold, for at that moment, Ulysses opened his door and ran into the lounge, holding quite a fancy-looking piece of parchment and an excited smile on his face.

“We have a job!” he exclaimed. That caught me by surprise. Usually, when Ulysses said ‘we’ have a job, he is referring to the guild as a whole. In all of my years at Lachesis, this has only happened once; however, due to my inexperience, Eleanora made me stay home with her. “Our entire guild has been issued a job!”

“What a surprise; I don’t think I’ve gone on a single guild request since my mother and father left on their journey,” Edmund said.

“I know I’ve never been on one,” Sparrow added.

“What does this job entail, sir?” Lucia asked.

“Before I get into that, I’d like to explain something to everyone here,” Ulysses said. “As is tradition within this guild, requests like these are strictly voluntary; they are usually a good deal more difficult than the normal jobs. So, if for any reason, you do not wish to partake in this mission, it will not be forced upon you.”

“Yeah, yeah; just tell us what the job is already!” Sparrow said. Ulysses chuckled, and held up the parchment.

“This mission is a request…from the Royal Family of Valencia Territory.” Complete silence befell the room. I could hear a few surprised gasps.

“The Royal…Family? I thought they hated us,” I said.

“You’re getting your history mixed up, my boy,” Edmund said. “It was the knights who hated us roughly five-hundred years ago, while the Royal Family back then didn’t even know of our existence. Now, neither party has any abhorrence towards us, as Lachesis now works as a small, independent unit and ally of the Valencian Knights.”

“In fact, it was the knights who hated us so much who helped to rebuild this fortress after the death of a particular evil Digimon at the hands of Lachesis,” Dominimon added.

“So, what do they want us to do?” Coronamon asked. “Is it some really powerful, Mega Digimon or something?”

“Well, the job itself isn’t stated on this paper,” Ulysses said. “All it says is for us to meet with the Royal Family; then, they will discuss the job with us.”

“You mean…we actually get to go to the castle?!” Sparrow exclaimed. “We’ll get to see the Royal Family? The princess…?”

“Sparrow, you’re staying behind,” Ulysses said. “I don’t want there to be an incident involving you and the princess.”

“…Me and my big, fucking mouth…”

“Don’t worry, Sparrow. I would have made you stay behind, anyway!” Ulysses grinned.

“Well, if we’re just going to the castle, then you don’t need anyone to go with you, do you?” Lucia asked.

“You’re right; I don’t need anyone to come with me. However, Lucia, I would like you, Larraine, Edmund, and Dominimon to come with me to the castle…And Lucia, I don’t want you to be armed when we go, and Mihiramon shall remain behind. We shall depart as soon as you are all ready.”

“Just the four of us?” Dominimon asked.

“It makes sense, actually,” Lucia mused. “People tell me I look like a secretary; Dominimon is a priest, on top of being an Angel Digimon; Larraine is a dancer; and Edmund is a mage. That way, we won’t appear armed and looking for violence, but if we have to fight, we could do so easily and at a moment’s notice.”

“…Why would you have to fight?” I asked.

“Well, Matthew…I’m not entirely sure this is real,” Ulysses said. “It’s incredibly unlikely that it’s a forgery, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.”

“I’m ready to go whenever you are, sir,” Lucia said. Larraine, Dominimon, and Edmund all nodded in agreement.
    “All right…let’s go. To Valencia Castle!”

Ulysses Melchett
    Yew
    25 Minutes

“Wow…it’s so big!” Larraine exclaimed, looking up at the enormous, ornate castle that stood before us. The huge doors were open, and people, both commoners and knights, were walking in and out.

“Yeah; it’s even bigger than Sparrow’s mouth,” I said, getting a laugh from the others.

“Someone’s coming,” Lucia said. I looked forward, noting a tall and slender female knight approaching us. I was on guard at first, but as she got closer, I saw that her expression was kind and welcoming, and not menacing in the slightest.

“Good day, weary travelers. I bid thee fondest welcome to Valencia Castle,” she said. “Might you be the group we are expecting from Lachesis?”

“Yes, good lady, that is us,” I said, returning her polite formalities.

“Oh, excellent. My name is Alena, and I have been tasked with escorting you to the king and queen,” she said. “Which one of you is Ulysses?”

“That would be me, milady,” I bowed. Alena smiled at all of us.

“Very good. Right this way, then.” Alena lead us into the castle and through an enormous hallway. It was my first time inside, and I was amazed by how large it was, appearing to be larger on the inside than on the outside. There were rows of pure white statues lining both walls; dragons on the left, and wolves on the right. Occasionally, we would pass somebody who would wave and smile kindly at Alena as she returned the favor. At the end of the hall was a pair of closed, ornate doors.

“…Is that where I will be meeting with His Majesty?” I asked.

“That is correct, sir,” Alena replied. “However, the king and queen will be meeting only with you, Sir Ulysses. I apologize for any inconvenience, but this was the will of his majesty.” I looked again at Alena. A sense of foreboding welled up within my core, but Alena didn’t seem to have the slightest hint of malice in her lovely eyes, and her sweet smile was quite sincere.

“…It is no inconvenience, Dame Alena,” Lucia said. “We don’t mind waiting for our master to return.”

“Are you all certain?” I asked.

“It isn’t a hassle in the slightest,” Edmund assured me.

“Go on ahead, sir. We can wait,” Dominimon added.

“If you’d like, I can escort you four to our mess hall,” Alena suggested. “It’s close to lunchtime, so I would imagine you must be quite hungry right now.”
    “Yes, you all go along with her,” I said, facing the ornate pair of doors before me. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

Eleanora Kasuto
    Lachesis Fortress – Outside

“…Amazing! You’re really getting good at this, Matthew!” I exclaimed. Matthew had just hit ten targets in a row dead center, the last of which was taped to a tree more than fifty feet away from where he stood. It always made me feel just a little bit sad to see him grow up like this and do things on his own without needing me to do it for him, but at the same time, I felt a little bit relieved by the fact that Matthew would be able to protect himself if we were ever to be separated again. Coronamon and Lunamon applauded as Matthew readjusted his bowstring.

“Not yet,” Matthew said quietly. “They’re at the center, but just barely. If my arms had twitched even just a little, I’d have been completely off. I need to get better.”

“Matthew…why did you suddenly decide to take up archery?” I asked.

“…Because…I’m tired of bothering you,” he whispered. “I…I always feel like I’m bothering you when you go out of your way to protect me…”

“Matthew! That isn’t true in the slightest! I’m your big sister; I’m supposed to—”

“No, you’re not,” Matthew interrupted. “Eleanora, you aren’t my big sister, and you aren’t my mother. You are my twin. I care about you and love you the same way you do for me. I’d like to be able to be the one protecting you for a change…”

“Matthew…” I began walking over to him when I heard the fluttering noise of a Digimon’s wings. Matthew and the Digimon noticed as well, looking up at the sky as a Human girl tumbled out of the forest near the fortress. Chasing after her was the Digimon Kazemon.

“What the hell?!” Coronamon exclaimed. The Human was holding a knife coated in dried blood. A long cape flowed out from behind her, barely hanging on, as it was practically torn to shreds. Her clothes were no better; there were cuts and holes all over her violet top and skirt. Her own body was covered in small cuts, none of them serious, and her lavender hair was a jumbled mess.

“Hurricane Wave!” Kazemon aimed her attack directly at the girl, but she was able to gracefully backflip several times out of the way of Kazemon’s attack. The girl finished up her backflips directly between me and my brother. She looked back and forth at the two of us with a surprised expression on her face.

“Oi! You two fighters?” she asked. “I could really use yer help right now!”

“Uh…yes, we are,” I replied, looking up at the Kazemon. “What’s going on…?”

“Jeez, I’ll tell you later, k?’ I’m not much of a fighter meself, so I’m really counting on you both to help out!” she said. Matthew and I exchanged glances as the Kazemon landed on the ground.

“Give it to me!” Kazemon shouted.

“Oi, now; you’re making me sound like a thief!” the girl exclaimed. “I’m just a thief by nature! I don’t go breaking in to innocent people’s homes, you know! I just take what needs to be taken for the good of all!”

This girl is a…thief?! Should we be helping her or not…?

“…Let’s help her, Ellie!” Matthew said. The look on his face was determined and serious. “I’m…I’m going to go and help her!” Before I could stop them, Matthew and Coronamon ran up to the Kazemon, placing themselves between her and the thief girl.

“…Who are you?!” Kazemon asked.

“…Uh…umm…I…I’m…” Matthew was stuttering, and looking around nervously.

“It doesn’t matter who we are!” Coronamon said. “Why are you chasing after this girl?!”

“…That is none of your business,” Kazemon said. “Now, I’ll ask you again; who the hell do you think you are to be able to stand in my way?!”

WE are the mercenary guild Lachesis!” Coronamon exclaimed. My eyes darted briefly to the thief girl just in time to see her eyes widen with shock.

…Who is she?

“Coronamon Digivolve to, Firamon!” Kazemon, shocked by Coronamon’s transformation, began slowly backing away. “Flame Dive!” Enveloping himself in flames, Firamon charged at and crashed into Kazemon, toppling her over and down to the ground. The large Champion Digimon had Kazemon pinned facedown to the ground, with both of her arms underneath his claws.

“Ow…ouch! Damn it, okay, okay…I yield,” Kazemon said, struggling under Firamon’s grasp. “Let me go, okay? I’ll leave…” Reluctantly, Firamon stepped off of Kazemon’s back, and the Fairy Digimon flew up, clumsily at first, and then flew away and out of sight.

“Yeesh, thanks for the help back there,” the thief girl said. “I’m glad I ran into you when I did!”

“Well, I’m glad we were here to help out!” Firamon said, turning back into Coronamon. “I’m Coronamon, and this is my partner, Matthew.” My twin was looking steadily down at the ground.

“…Is he okay?” the thief asked. “He doesn’t look too good…”

“Well, try not to be offended,” I said, walking up to Matthew. “Matthew has a bit of a fear of pretty girls.”

“…Pretty, huh? Well, in that case, I’m flattered,” the thief said with a slight blush in her cheeks.

“Yeah, I don’t really know how it started,” I said. “Anyway, I’m Eleanora, his twin sister, and over there is my partner Digimon, Lunamon.”

“Who are you?” Coronamon asked.

“Me? I’m the great thief Lira Elric.”

“You said something like that earlier,” Lunamon said.

“Well, don’t get the wrong idea, now,” Lira said. “I steal things, sneak around, pick locks; that sort of thing. Like I said to that Kazemon, I don’t steal things from innocent bystanders or nothing.”

“…Would you like to come in?” Coronamon asked. “You look pretty beat up. You should stay and rest for a while.”

“…Are you sure about that?” Lira asked. “After all…I just told you I was a thief…”

“Well, if you were planning on stealing from us, you wouldn’t have told us you were a thief right at the beginning,” Lunamon said.

…I don’t know…Something about her just doesn’t seem right…

“…If you don’t have a problem with me coming in, I’d be more than happy to do so,” Lira said. Coronamon and Lunamon led her into the fortress, with Matthew following far behind.

…Why would a Digimon like Kazemon outright attack her? Even if Lira stole something from her, a Digimon with a sweet temperament like Kazemon wouldn’t act so harshly…What are you doing here, Lira?

Chapter 19 - The Devoted

Larraine
    Valencia Castle

The mess hall of the castle was gigantic, larger even than the entire first floor of Lachesis Fortress. There were many knights and soldiers eating and talking amongst one another, some Human and some Digimon. The air was filled with their voices, creating a slightly disorienting atmosphere as Alena led us through the room. Most of the knights had a plate full of food emitting a savory aroma that made my mouth water and my stomach growl. Everyone I saw seemed to be different from the knights I remembered from several hundreds of years ago; they all looked so friendly, and many went out of their way to greet Alena. One such person was approaching her now.

“Well met, Dame Alena,” the man said. He was a big man, donned a dark grey suit of armor that seemed larger and heavier than those of the other knights. He had an intimidating face at first glance, with a mouth hidden by a large beard and mustache, but his grey eyes had the unmistakable glimmer of kindness in them.

“Sir Wikstrom, how pleasant to see you again,” Alena replied, shaking the large man’s hand.

“Wouldst thou care to join us for lunch? Verily our friends doth gather as we speak,” Wikstrom requested.

“Oh, that would be delightful,” Alena said. “That is, if you have no objections to these travelers accompanying us.”

“None whatsoever,” Wikstrom said. Behind his bushy moustache, I was fairly certain that he was smiling. “It is an utmost pleasure to make thine acquaintances.” One at a time, Wikstrom shook the hands of Edmund, Dominimon, Lucia, and finally, me. My hand was so tiny compared to his, and for a moment, I feared it might snap off my arm when Wikstrom shook it. “Well then, please, come and join us. Make thyself at home.” Wikstrom sat down at a rectangular table next to two others. One, a silver-haired man, was dressed in a fancy white suit, making him stand out from the other armored knights in the room. The other, a dark skinned and long-haired blonde woman, sat next to him. A huge axe lay on the floor next to her.

“Everyone, I’d like you to meet my friends,” Alena said, turning to us. “The man over there is Siebold, and the woman is Pherania. My friends, I’d like to introduce you to Larraine, Lucia, Dominimon, and Edmund from the mercenary guild Lachesis.”

“Lachesis? Vut a rare honor it is,” Pherania said, speaking in a thick accent.

“…Is your last name, by any chance, Danved?” Edmund asked.

“Yes, it is! Do you know vun of my relatives?” Pherania asked.

“Quite a few, really. I’ve been around for several hundreds of years,” Edmund replied.

“Ah, den you carry de Mark, den,” Pherania said. “Yes, all of my ancestors are named after a man from long ago named Pheragas. He vus a brave und powervul man, so in his honor, all descendants are named Pheragas, or Pherania if dey are born vemale.” Pherania reached down to the floor and picked up her massive axe as if it were nothing. “Dis axe belonged to dat man, und it is given to de kids of de next generation to carry on dat man’s great legacy.”

Wow…she’s so familiarized with her family history, I though. I wish I could be so lucky…

“Um…where are Charlotte and Leopardmon?” Alena asked.

“Verily, Leopardmon is on a job right now,” Wikstrom said. “And as for Dame Charlotte—”

“Fat-ass ain’t here yet,” Siebold interrupted. “Probably got that huge gut of hers stuck in a doorway again.”

“Siebold! That has only happened to her once!” Alena snapped. “…Okay, twice. But small doorways don’t count! And besides, how many times have I told you not to make fun of Charlotte?! She’s very sensitive!” Siebold shrugged, and Pherania whacked him on the back of his head.

“Oh! Here comes the great white Whamon herself! Better call CaptainHookmon before she gets away!”

Siebold, will you shut up?!” Alena whispered loudly. At that moment, a tall, gorgeous brunette walked up to the table and sat down between me and Alena. True to Siebold’s rude commentary, her belly was large and plump, poking out from the bottom of her shirt and shaking with each step she took. She was incredibly beautiful, in spite of what Siebold seemed to imply, and the rest of her body was quite slender. “Good day, Dame Charlotte. How fare you today?”

“Very well, Dame Alena, thank you,” Charlotte replied with a happy smile on her face.

“I’d like to introduce you to some new friends of mine,” Alena said. “From the mercenary guild Lachesis, this is Edmund, Lucia, Dominimon, and sitting next to you is Larraine.”

“…Larraine? I’ve heard of you,” Charlotte said, looking at me in awe. “I’ve heard people say you’re the best dancer in the land…”

“Oh, I’m flattered, sweetie,” I said.

“…You’re so skinny,” Charlotte whispered.

“Ha! I’m surprised you even remember what skinny even looks like!” Siebold laughed. Pherania grabbed him by the back of his head and shoved his face quite forcefully into his lunch tray, and face first into his mashed potatoes.

“No…Siebold’s right,” Charlotte said. “I’m just a fat, ugly pig…You’re lucky, Larraine. I wish I could be built like you…”

“Well…to tell you the truth, Charlotte...I think you’re the lucky one,” I said. “And I wish I could be built like you.” This brought a look of surprise to Charlotte’s lovely face, and I could hear a gasp from Lucia.

“But…why would you want to be like a fat, ugly pig like me?” Charlotte asked.

“You aren’t a fat, ugly pig, Charlotte...” I reached over and placed her hand over her cheek. “I can tell, just by looking into your eyes…You are a strong and brave warrior, and you’re always there for your friends, to fight alongside them and protect them...but I’m not. I’m always forced to remain behind, and pray with all my heart that, when any of my friends goes out on a job, that nothing bad happens to them...If I was strong like you, I wouldn't have to worry so much, because I could go out and fight alongside them.”

“So you would really give away that perfect body for dancing for a body like...this?!” Charlotte grabbed and squeezed her belly, shaking it a few times.

“The dances I do are to appease the goddess, and the only way she’s seen fit to thank me is to continue to hurt my friends, and other innocent people, so I don’t care about her anymore! Ok, sure, you might be...uh...” Let's see...how do I say this without hurting her feelings? Think, Larraine, think... “…Ok, your belly might be slightly larger than a few other people, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that you're a strong and brave knight. Me? I’m only a weak, pathetic dancer who can’t help her friends in the slightest. Of course I would rather be built like you, sweetie. I don’t care if that means I get fat; I wouldn’t even care how fat I would get, so long as I could give my all to protect the people I love!”

“…So...you don’t think that...I’m ugly, do you?”

“Ugly? Sweetie, I think you’re absolutely adorable!” I pulled the young woman into a tight hug. “Now, I don’t want to hear you say anything bad about yourself, okay?”

“…Okay. Thank you, Larraine,” Charlotte smiled.

“And I don’t want to hear anything from you about her. Understood?!” I looked at Siebold. Underneath the table, I could hear Pherania slam her foot onto his. I hoped the sound of cracking bones was but a mere figment of my imagination.

“…Yes, ma’am…” I felt a tap on my shoulder from behind. I looked, and saw Lucia looking at me.

“Larraine…you didn’t really mean that, did you?” she whispered. “About the Goddess…?”

“I meant every word I said,” I replied calmly. “Why, if it were up to me, I’d be so fat I couldn’t see anything past my stomach looking down, as long as it meant I could be stronger than I am now in this thin, bony body!”

“…The only problem is, because of the Mark giving you a Digimon’s metabolic rate, it would be difficult for you to gain even a single ounce,” Edmund said. I looked at him and smiled sadly.

…I keep forgetting he has the Mark, too…He must have it as bad as I do, with the constant hunger and frail body; no wonder he taught himself magic…

“Well, why don’t you teach yourself magic?” Charlotte asked.

“…I’ve tried. Many times,” I said sadly. “It’s not that I don’t think I’m talented; it’s that…nothing happens. I think it may be because of my heritage; since Digimon can’t learn the magic Humans use, it seems that only a few of the Marked are able to use it, like Edmund.”

“But…do you really not care about the Goddess, Rainy?” Lucia asked.

“…I never have. She took my mother from me at a young age. I never met my father. I’ve been cursed with a near eternal life, forcing me to watch loved ones die over and over. So, no, Lucia. I don’t care about her. I hate her. I hate her for doing this to me!”

“What about your dances?” Dominimon asked. “The dances you perform for all of us; you say it is to show respect to her, don’t you? To grace her?”

“I’ve never once said anything close to that in my entire life,” I said. “I’ve heard that from others; I have no idea how the rumor was started, though. But I dance because…only because it makes other people smile. It makes them happy. That is the only reason I’ve ever danced before.”

“…Very well spoken, Larraine,” said a voice from behind.

“Ulysses! You’re done so soon?” Dominimon asked.

“Er, not quite. Lucia, Larraine, Dominimon, and Edmund; we are to meet with the prince and princess of Valencia.”

“…T—the prince and princess?” Lucia asked nervously.

“Indeed. The king and queen spoke to me for a little bit, but it seems their children are the ones who are more in the know about our big job.”

…Wow! I’ve never met royalty before! I hope I’m dressed appropriately for this! Is it inappropriate that my midriff is exposed? Oh, this is so exciting!

“Thank you for looking after my friends while I was away,” Ulysses bowed to Alena.

“Are you all ready to depart?” a Digimon from behind Ulysses asked. I had never seen him before, but he was a tall and knightly Digimon covered in white armor.

“…Omnimon,” Alena said quietly. “It’s rare to see you here…”

“I simply do not wish to leave my lady’s side,” Omnimon said curtly. “Now, then; are you ready? It wouldn’t do to keep my lady waiting.” Edmund, Lucia, Dominimon, and I all exchanged nervous glances.

“Ah, don’t be too worried,” Siebold said. Bits and pieces of mashed potatoes fell from his brow. “The princess is a real sweetheart. It’s Omnimon you don’t want to keep waiting. Trust me; don’t even accidentally piss him off.”

“You vould know,” Pherania muttered under her breath. I sighed a quiet breath of relief, and stood up to join Ulysses and Omnimon. Omnimon looked at all of us, as if looking for someone.

“Where is Apollomon?” he asked. “I was certain he would be coming with you today.”

“…There must be some mistake,” Lucia said. “There is nobody named Apollomon among us.”

“On the contrary,” Edmund said. “He used to be with us. Unfortunately, Apollomon was slain in battle, and reborn as the Coronamon currently partnered with Matthew Kasuto.”

“…I see. That is most unfortunate,” Omnimon said. “Things may have been easier to discuss with Apollomon around.”
    “Well, just do your best. I’m sure we’ll all be fine,” Ulysses said.

Matthew Kasuto
    Lachesis Fortress

“You know…this is a pretty good place you’ve got,” Lira said. “Nice and big. Lots of space to hide stolen goods.”

“Lira, we aren’t a thieving business; we’re mercenaries,” Eleanora said. The two of us sat next to each other across from Lira. The three of us were the only ones in the lounge. “Sure, it would be helpful to have somebody with your particular skills around, but we don’t steal; we help people. We kill bandits. That sort of thing.”

“Yeah, I got it,” Lira remarked. “I was just sayin’ is all…”

“…Well, whatever. Are you ready to go, Matthew?” Eleanora asked.

“…W—what do you mean?” I asked.

“Ulysses partnered you up with Isole, Giselle and Rosemon today.” My heart sank. Giselle was undoubtedly polite and kind, but the thought of being close to a beautiful woman filled me with dread. Isole was just as pretty, but not usually as nice as Giselle.

“Oi, that doesn’t sound like a good idea,” Lira said. “You said your bro’s got a tough time around cute dames. Or…are Isole and Giselle not good-lookin’ lasses?”
    “Meh. Not into girls, but I wouldn’t kick ‘em out of bed,” Eleanora shrugged. “Anyway, I’ve got a job assigned for myself with Coronamon and Lunamon, so would you mind going with him, Lira?”

“…Me?!”

Oh, no…not another beautiful girl…

“Yeah. I’d like you to see how things are done; Matthew will do a good job of doing so. Also…” Eleanora hesitated, and looked cautiously around the room. “Giselle isn’t exactly the most responsible person here. Sort of a ditz, really. Isole’s kind of crabby, but she doesn’t do any of the fighting herself. I’d like it if you could keep an eye on my brother for me; you seem like a sensible and cautious young lady.”

“Well, I’ll tell you what; you both sure do know how to dish out the compliments. Even though Matthew hasn’t actually said anything…Well, whatever. I’d be happy to go along.”

“Oh, thank you, Lira,” Eleanora sighed with relief.

“No problem. I may not have a Digimon partner of me own just yet, but I like to think I can handle myself in a fight,” Lira said before turning to look at me. “You ready to go, Matthew?” I felt my face heat up, and I looked steadily down at the floor.

“…Y—yes…”

Chapter 20 - Seven Days

Ulysses Melchett
    Valencia Castle

Omnimon had remained entirely silent while escorting us to the prince and princess. The echoing footsteps of the Exalted Knight and the occasional flapping of his black cape in a breeze were just barely enough to break the awkward silence. As we continued on, I noticed fewer and fewer people coming and going. Suddenly, Omnimon came to a stop, turning around to face us.

“Just ahead of us,” he said, “…is the room where the princess herself awaits your presence.”

“Oh, is the prince not with her?” Larraine asked.

“Wha…O—oh, yes, he’s there too, of course,” Omnimon stuttered. “Now, under no circumstances are any of you display any signs of discourtesy to her — I mean, them. Any such action will grant you a swift and painful execution. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, of course,” I said.

“…Very good. Now, step this way.” Omnimon pushed open a rather tall door and walked in ahead of us. I took a deep breath, and walked in after him. Larraine, Lucia, Edmund, and Dominimon all followed after me without hesitation. Omnimon was off to the side of the room, kneeling and bowing his head. Ahead of us were two Humans; a young blonde girl and a tall brunette man. The girl stepped forward with a pleasant smile on her face.

“Greetings; it is an honor to make your acquaintances,” she said. “I am Micaiah, Princess of Valencia. This man is my brother, Aegolius, Prince of Valencia. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to meet with us today.”

“No, it…it wasn’t a problem for us at all, milady,” I said, trying hard to shake the nervousness from my voice. “We are all deeply honored that you feel that we are the best suited to fulfill the job request you have in mind.”

“Then let’s get down to it, shall we?” Aegolius asked with a noticeable hint of impatience in his voice. “Seven days from now…an incredibly powerful Digimon will once more walk the surface of Arcadia.”

“We don’t know anything about the Digimon, though,” Micaiah said. “We just know that it’s an evil Digimon…and we would like to ask the help of Lachesis in dispatching it. Will…will you do it? I can understand if you wouldn’t want to…”

“We of Lachesis have no intention of ever denying a request given to us,” I said. “However, I would like to have ever piece of information possible that you have to give us regarding the situation. How do you two know of this?”

“…My big brother told me about it,” Micaiah said, looking over at Aegolius.

“I…cannot say how I know of this, nor does it matter,” Aegolius said.

“And yet, your parents do not know,” I said.

“I didn’t wish to bother them,” Aegolius answered quickly.

A little too quickly, I thought. He doesn’t seem to be lying about that Digimon, but he’s keeping something from us…But if I drill him too hard, Omnimon will have us thrown out, or killed…

“Seven days from now is a full moon,” Lucia commented. “Does that have any correlation to the Digimon you speak of?”

“…I…do not believe so,” Aegolius replied. “But…maybe? For all we know — which isn’t much, mind you — it could.”

“If so, then perhaps the Digimon you speak of is of the Garurumon family?” Edmund asked. “Perhaps a WereGarurumon?”

“No…this Digimon is much stronger than anything like that,” the prince whispered. “The Digimon…I don’t have a name, or even what it may look like…but…something came to me in a dream, and warned me about the Digimon.”

“Hmm…Such things are not uncommon,” Dominimon pondered. “The one who warned you of this Digimon; was it the Digimon itself, or an outside source?”

“…I do not know,” Aegolius shook his head.

“Aegolius told me not to go to our parents about it,” Micaiah said. “He said that, because it was a dream, that our parents might not believe us…”

“And that is…all the information that I have for you,” Aegolius said.

“Please…defeat this evil Digimon,” Micaiah pleaded. “I don’t want anyone to get hurt because of that Digimon…”

“…I have one more question for you,” I said. “Do you know where this Digimon will appear?”

“It will be…in Celosia Province. Somewhere…in this province,” Aegolius said. “…I must go. Please, excuse me…” The prince abruptly turned from us and left the room.

“…Um…I’m sorry I don’t have any more information to give you,” Micaiah said once Aegolius vanished around a corner. “And I know less than Aegolius does; I didn’t have the dream that he did…”

“You don’t need to worry about it,” I said. “I swear on my life…we will put a stop to this evil Digimon. We of Lachesis will not allow it to hurt anyone.”

“Wow…T—thank you…for listening to us,” Micaiah said. To our side, Omnimon stood up.

“Very well then. Your mission at this castle is complete,” the Exalted Knight said. “My lady and I shall see you off.” Omnimon and Micaiah led us out of the room and through a large hallway. “And do we have your guarantee that you will be able to stop this Digimon?”

“…Of course…Omnimon,” I said. “But surely, you’ll be there to help us during this crisis?” The Digimon shook his head.

“My place is here at my lady’s side. That is my one and only job, as it has been for many hundreds of years. Unless she asks me to…then help you I won’t.”

“Actually…I’d kind of like it if you would help them,” Micaiah said.

“…No. Unless…there is…” Omnimon hesitated, as if thinking of what to say next. “Unless your own life is in danger, my lady, I shall not move a finger.”

That’s what I figured,” Micaiah giggled under her breath. “I swear, I see him at least fourteen hours every day!”

“…I care not what others may say. My only desire is to protect Micaiah,” Omnimon said.

“My mommy says that you were that way with her when she was around my age,” Micaiah said. “And also, grandma, and—”

“Yes, well, I, uh…I do not think that Lachesis will need any help to defeat this evil Digimon,” Omnimon interrupted. “Apollomon may have died, but he has been reborn. Knowing that he and SlashAngemon are there is more than enough to ease any worries of mine.”

“…Who’s SlashAngemon?” Lucia asked.

“I believe SlashAngemon has died as well, if memory serves,” Edmund said. Omnimon stopped walking.

“…How long ago was this?” Omnimon asked.

“I don’t think any of us were even born yet,” I answered.

“…I see…Then, what about Dianamon? Is she—”

“She was also killed, and later reborn as a Lunamon partnered to Eleanora Kasuto,” Edmund said.

“Was…SlashAngemon ever reborn?” Micaiah asked.

“Not that any of us know of, unfortunately,” Dominimon said. I looked over at the Digimon priest.

“Are you SlashAngemon?” I asked.

“No; I met him several times when he was alive, back when the Order of the Enchantress was still trapped in the Dark Area,” Dominimon answered.

“…The Celestial Vanguard seems to be falling apart,” Omnimon said. “And nobody seems to know where Seraphimon went off to after Lilithmon killed herself nearly one thousand years ago…”

“Don’t you miss your friends, Omnimon?” Micaiah asked. “You should take some time off and go visit—”

“I wouldn’t exactly call them friends, milady; they were simply…in the same group I was in. And in any case, I wouldn’t think of abandoning you for my own selfish pleasure. Not now, and not ever.” Omnimon sighed, and looked up. “…We have reached the exit. You may now depart, members of Lachesis.”

“…Please feel free to visit whenever you want to,” Micaiah said. “It gets lonely without many friends in the same province; my only friends are other princesses from other provinces…”

“I’d be more than happy to visit you,” Larraine smiled. “And…I would be honored to be your friend.” Micaiah’s face brightened.

“R—really? Do you mean that?!” she exclaimed. “Oh, wow…all of the knights, and all of the royal people that I know are always so…formal! I’d love to have a friend who’s actually normal!”

“Well, you can definitely count on everyone at Lachesis to be a friend,” Lucia said. “Although…some of us aren’t exactly what I’d describe as ‘normal…’”
    “And you needn’t worry about that evil Digimon, either,” I said. “We’ll all make sure it does no harm to anyone.”

Isole Frost

I lay on my bed, studying three different books’ accounts of an ancient battle. Next to me was an open journal, containing many scribbled notes and observations.

Let’s see…this book says the battle was one on account of Digimon soldiers cornering fleeing enemies at the bottom of a ravine…but this other book says they were all annihilated in that very battle, leaving no soldiers available to escape! How is that possible?! I placed my pencil down and rubbed the sides of my head.
    How am I supposed to think of battle and survival tactics if all of my books disagree with each other on how the same battle ended?! Hang on…they disagree, but…they both agree that the battle was won because of the Digimon Kabuterimon…but the Kabuterimon-species Digimon wouldn’t come into existence almost half a century later! How is that…Wait…It’s similar to Kabuterimon, but not quite, and not a MegaKabuterimon, or any of its Mega level forms…Not to mention any Digimon I’ve ever seen before…Is this…a new Digimon species entirely?! Oh, my god! Where is that stupid pencil?! I looked around my bed before realizing that my pencil had rolled underneath me. I fished it out from under my tummy and began writing frantically on a page in my journal. Hm…If it doesn’t have a name, then maybe I should name it…An ancestor to the Kabuterimon Digimon…Old…Ancient…Got it! Primal! PrimalKabuterimon! The sound of a book sliding and falling on my desk broke me out of my trance. I looked up at a clock that hung from my wall.

Almost 2…I’d better get going. Hesitantly, I got out of bed and slid my feet into my sandals. Oh, my god…another mission with Giselle! Why am I always being sent out with her?! I walked out of my room, loudly closing my door behind me before walking downstairs into the lounge. To my dismay, Giselle was already there, happily humming a loud tune to herself. I clenched my teeth, and approached her. Matthew and Coronamon sat nearby. I felt a small portion of my anger leave as I told myself the two would be accompanying me with that loud, pathetic excuse for a living being. Next to Coronamon sat a girl who I had never seen before. She smiled and stood up when she noticed me.

“Good day, then; you must be Isole,” she said as she shook my hand. “The name’s Lira. Eleanora sent me to watch over Matthew on this ‘job’ of yours.”

“…She did, huh?” I glanced at the two. Coronamon nodded and smiled.

Said that Giselle’s sort of a ditz,” Lira whispered. “From what I’ve seen so far, she couldn’t have been closer to the truth.” To my own surprise, I smiled. “I, uh…I’m a thief, but I didn’t come here to steal nothin’! I was just running from a Digimon when those two twins helped me out.”

“…You’re a thief,” I said. “Which means…you have expertise in picking locks and such…correct?”

“Yeah, I know; El told me that someone with my ‘skills’ would be handy to have around,” Lira said. “To be honest, I don’t mind much stickin’ around, least for a little while. I can fight okay against Humans, but Digimon over the Rookie level tend to give me a hard time, so don’t expect me to do any front-line fighting or nothin’.”

“…Lira. Do you wish to join us?” I asked.

“That wasn’t enough of a yes for you? Yeah, I’ll join the group,” Lira laughed. “Reckon I’ll have to speak with yer boss later on, but that’s my plan.” Again, I smiled.

“Thieves are quiet. I enjoy quiet people.” I looked over at Matthew, and blushed a little.
    Take it yer not too fond of Giselle, then?” Lira whispered. I shook my head.

“I am, as you know, Isole Frost. I am the group’s tactician,” I said. “For me to best do my job, I need a…quiet environment. In a way, I suppose I could…relate to your line of work, at least in that regard.”

“Heh, yeah. Hard to take gold from a noble when yer constantly yellin’ yer head off,” Lira agreed. “So, what’s the job we’ve got to do?”

“Oh, it’s the usual — bandit hunting,” I said.

“Don’t worry; Rosemon and I will do our very bestest!” Giselle chimed in.

Yeah…I’m sure.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast