With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lost Chronicles II: One World

Junior Commander IamTheSovereign's Avatar

Chapter 121 - Daughter to Dragons

Larraine

Those first few golden rays of the early dawn sun gently stretched across the cool stone floor, pouring in from my bedroom window. Unable to resist its powerful tug into the conscious world, I sat straight up in my bed, partially covered by my haphazard blanket. Groggy and dazed, I sleepily looked around my nearly empty bedroom with blurred morning vision. My bed was the only piece of furniture I kept in my bedroom, so as to leave ample space to practice my dances; although, this did not necessarily stop me from bumping into it and falling flat on my face from time to time…

“Larraine? Are you awake yet, my dear?” Bokomon’s voice called out from the other side of my closed bedroom door. The small Rookie Digimon’s head poked out from behind my door, and smiled when he saw me.

“Hey…What time is it?” I yawned.

“It is around four in the afternoon,” Bokomon whispered. “You must have been dancing late last night, weren’t you?”

“Yeah…It helps calm me down, you know? I was…Well, you know.”

“…I know. We were all worried about our friends, my dear,” Bokomon said.

“Yeah…I just couldn’t fall asleep even after dancing for hours…I don’t think I even went to bed until about three in the morning…” I yawned once again, and plopped back down on my bed, staring up at the ceiling.

“…You know, for such a graceful dancer, you do certainly have the most unruly pillow hair I’ve seen,” Bokomon chuckled.

“Just a part of my charm, wouldn’t ya’ say?” I asked

“Absolutely, my dear,” Bokomon said.

“…Bokomon? Has there been any word from the others…?” Bokomon smiled, and leaped up onto my bed with me.

“All of them arrived back, safe and sound, early in the morning,” the Rookie Digimon replied. “I’d have woken you up earlier, since I knew how worried you’ve been about them, but I knew you needed your rest…and quite obviously, they did as well. Most of them are still sleeping, actually.”

“But…they’re all safe? None of them were hurt? Lucia? Zelda? Edmund?” Again, Bokomon smiled.

“Not at all. All of them are safe, and alive. Omnimon has taken Princess Micaiah back to Castle Valencia, without even bothering to give his thanks or say goodbye…Oh, and another thing; Statuedramon wished to have a word with you when you woke up.”

“Statuedramon did? Whatever for?”

“He did not say…but, he did seem quite serious…which, considering that lazy lizard, must mean that this is a grave matter indeed,” Bokomon chuckled.

“I HEARD THAT, ASSHAT!”

Goodness, has he been waiting in the hallway all day for me?!

“You may come in; the young lady is awake and about,” Bokomon called back. My door opened once again, and the ancient warrior quietly stepped into my room. “I will be just outside if either of you have need of me.” Bokomon bowed his head to me and stepped out of the room, leaving me alone with Statuedramon.

“U-Um…hello,” I said shyly.

“Hey…um…Larraine…this…has been bothering me for a really long time, but…you…just look so…familiar to me,” Statuedramon began. “I, uh, I’m not exactly the brightest Digimon; I forget things all the time, but…”

“Oh, I remember you,” I said. “I saw you in that church in Cyclamen City about 500 years ago when Mr. Sephyrus was looking after me.”

“Right, yeah, I remember that; just spoke about that with Daemon a bit earlier. He said he…Daemon told me what Sephyrus did to you…”

“…You mean how he abandoned me when I was begging him for help?” I asked. “That man…was so kind to me, and all of the other orphans…but, after seeing that hate-filled look in his eyes, just thinking about him makes me sick to my stomach…”

“Well…you don’t have to worry about him anymore, I guess; a good friend of mine defeated him in battle a long time ago,” Statuedramon said.

“…Good. I’m glad he’s dead. I hope it was painful.”

“Larraine…I didn’t think that just by looking at you that you could be capable of feeling hatred for another living being…”

“Sephyrus is my exception. I hate him. I hate him!”

“…Sorry…I…I probably shouldn’t have mentioned him in the first place; I was just trying to reassure you, I guess; I don’t know how much it might have traumatized you, so I just wanted to make you feel better…”

“Well, thank you for that, Statuedramon; I really appreciate your kindness,” I said, smiling at the Digimon. “…Is that…the only reason you asked to see me…?”

“Oh, right, my bad; I get sidetracked a lot, too…Anyway, I said I recognize you, yeah? But, it’s not just from that day I saw you in Cyclamen. You…look like someone I’ve met…”

“I see…Well, I’m not sure how I could help you; I never knew my father, and my mother died soon after giving birth to me…Sephyrus did say that I resembled her, though, and that she was friends with him back when she was pregnant with me; maybe you’ve seen her…?”

“…What was her name?” Statuedramon’s voice was just barely above a whisper, and his face appeared graver than I had seen of it before.

“H-Her name was Kisara,” I replied. “Sephyrus didn’t ever tell me my father’s name; he was waiting for me to get older, but—”

“Larraine. I…think I may know your father’s name. But first…do you have the Mark?”

“Yes; it’s on the back of my left thigh; here…”

“…Yeah. That’s it all right. I didn’t find this out for a little while after I left Lachesis, but I have it, too,” Statuedramon continued. “Mine’s on my back, hidden by my armor. Zelda was confused as to why a Digimon like me was unable to sense that she had it as well, but it was because I have it. Since we both have the Mark, I wasn’t able to tell that she was different.”

“Statuedramon…what are you trying to say? Who’s my father?” I asked.

“…Your father…is me.” I said nothing at first, and simply stared at the Digimon.

“…Um…wha…what? What…are you…you…”

“500 years ago, I met…the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Her name was Kisara, and—”

“Wait…if…if you really are my father, Statuedramon…why…why didn’t you stay with my mother?” I asked. “Why did you leave her to die in childbirth, Statuedramon?!”

“I didn’t even know she was pregnant! It was just a one-night fling!”

“Well, that doesn’t make me feel any better!”

“Yeah, I realized that as soon as I said it…Ah, jeez…This isn’t really going the way I expected…”

“What the hell did you think would happen, you two-timing bastard?!”

“Hey, now, don’t call me a bastard; I’m still your father—”

“Only by blood.”

“Larraine…”

“Get out of my room. You…are not my father. My father is SkullMeramon.”

“…Skull…Meramon? In the desert…?”

“My father is the Digimon who found me, lost and alone in the desert, and saved me from dying. My father clothed me, put food in my tummy and a roof over my head, and cared for me, even though I have this damn Mark, thanks to you! It’s the only thing you ever gave me, and it hasn’t ever done anything good for me!”

“But—”

“GET OUT!”

“…Okay. Good-bye…Larraine.”

“And good riddance to you.” I heard the door quietly close behind Statuedramon, and I hurled myself back onto my bed, and under my blanket. Instantly, I began to cry.
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 122 - Desire for All that is Lost

Statuedramon

“…She really said that to you?” Abigail gasped.

“Yeah. She did. She doesn’t want to have anything to do with me. And I…I don’t blame her at all. I hate myself, too…If I had known Kisara were pregnant, I wouldn’t have left…”

“Well, see, this is kinda why you don’t have one-night stands in the first place,” Flamedramon said.

“Fuck off.”

“I was just saying; jeez…”

“…I don’t understand, though; I wasn’t mad at Dominimon for leaving me and my sister,” Zelda said. “I mean, I hate my mother for what she did to me and Hannah, but I wasn’t ever even slightly mad at my father, even before I knew he was Dominimon…”

“Maybe it’s the age difference? Larraine is, what, ten or so years younger than Zelda?” Abigail suggested in a desperate voice. “Like, in about ten years, she’ll probably stop hating you? Maybe…?”

“Abby, we’re both over five-hundred years old; I really don’t think that age has anything to do with it,” Zelda responded. “…Would you like for me to talk to her? I can’t stand seeing you so miserable…”

“…Nah…she doesn’t want to have anything to do with me…so, I’ll respect that,” I whispered. “She already has a SkullMeramon as a father figure, apparently. No need for me to butt in on that…”

“A SkullMeramon? Really?” Flamedramon asked, looking somewhat confused.

“Yeah; Zelda and I met him a while back in Linnea Village when he was a Meramon.”

“Oh, that Meramon that owns the restaurant? She said he was her father?” Zelda asked. I nodded.

“I know he’s a good guy…He’s already done a better job of being her father than I could ever be. I…I’m useless.”

“Don’t say that!” Flamedramon exclaimed. “…Okay, that probably sounded odd coming from me, but…C’mon, you’re still the girl’s father, right? You brought her into this world! I mean…if Edmund ever…if he had ever hated me like Larraine does for you, I…I don’t know what I’d do with myself…”

“It’s fine…I…I’ll be okay. I guess I…I’m kinda used to this…First, Victoria was murdered; then Thomas died…and now, Larraine…doesn’t want to have anything to do with…her father…I’m…I’ll be fine…”

“Statuedramon; you quite obviously are NOT fine,” Abigail interjected. “I can see the pain in your eyes, dear. I can feel your angst, all bottled up.”

“…Whatever.”

“Statch, listen; this is exactly what happened to Seraphimon,” Flamedramon said. “You can’t keep ignoring the way you feel, because if you do, you’ll become a Digimon like Daemon…and I don’t know if we’d be able to help you at that point any more. You’re one of the Four Sovereigns, far stronger than one of the three Celestial Digimon. We wouldn’t be strong enough to save you from yourself, or the rest of the world from…well, from you.”

“Don’t give me that crap. Seraphimon was whining like a little bitch, being all alone when he could’ve chosen to have friends around him. I still have you guys…and I always will.”

“Well, what’s stopping any of us from getting killed?” Zelda asked. “We’re mercenaries. Getting killed might as well be on the job description.”

“…I’ll tell you what’s stopping you from getting killed. I am. I ain’t going to let any of you get killed while I’m here,” I protested, giving each of them a sharp glance from my one eye.

“Guess I can’t argue with that,” Flamedramon chuckled.

“…Where is Larraine now?” Zelda asked.
    “Up in her room. Lucia’s in there with her right now…which probably means she’ll come down to beat my ass any minute,” I sighed.

Geitz Felgrande

“So…old man Baez; how long do I gotta stay here with you?” I asked.

“Patience, young Warrior of Darkness,” Baez replied in his kind, fatherly voice, without the slightest speck of impatience. The two of us, underground in a stony cave dimly lit with torches, had been here for many days by this point; I had stopped counting a while ago. “You have successfully become Loewemon, but only once. Every other attempt has led to you simply becoming Duskmon once more.”

“What’s the big deal?” I asked. “They’re both powerful; what difference does it make which one I become?”

“…And that is why you will remain Duskmon, until our training has completed,” Baez said. “I am prepared to stay here for many years until you realize that true strength comes from within. Once you realize this, you will gain full control over your evolution, and beyond that, your future — your destiny.”

“But, that’s what I don’t really understand; why’s it bad if I keep turning into Duskmon?”

“…Duskmon…and Loewemon…are both the Legendary Warrior of Darkness.”

“…Both of them? How can two—”

“They are the same being, essentially. Duskmon, however, is a corruption — a mistake, a genetic mutation if you will — whereas Loewemon is the true Warrior of Darkness. Yes, Duskmon is powerful; in some ways, his power could easily exceed that of Loewemon. But, due to the nature of his origins, his darkness is not that which can be controlled. If you remain as Duskmon…the darkness will envelop you once more, and you will be tossed back into the Dark Area…and I don’t know if I will be able to retrieve you a second time.”

“…Was it…ShadowSeraphimon? Did he want me to go to the Dark Area in the first place?” Baez nodded. “So, why did he pick me in the first place?”

“I’m afraid that I am not at liberty to give you much information on the matter. All I will say is this…Geitz. You are destined for something very important. It was ShadowSeraphimon’s intention to throw you off course of that destiny; you and a few others.”

“Others…? Those guys back at the guild?”

“Yes, some of them. Others, however, are not presently at the guild.”

“…Baez…who are you…really?” I asked for the fiftieth time that week. And, for the fiftieth time, Baez gave me a sad smile, and for the fiftieth time, he gave me the same explanation.

“I will tell you when the time is right, Geitz Felgrande. But, please know that it is not my intention to keep this information from you, my son.”

“Yer not my dad; my dad’s dead ‘cuz of that old codger in charge of the guild…”

“Sorry; it is a priestly habit of mine,” Baez chuckled. And then, a look very grim spread across his pale face.

“What is it?” I asked, mildly interested.

“…I sense…a distortion…a distortion in time and space,” Baez said, his voice barely above a whisper.

“What does that mean?”
    “…Someone is about to alter the very fabric of reality; of time and space itself,” Baez said. “Clockmon…”

Murmuxmon

Eaglemon had died recently — and it wasn’t too long after I had already saved him from the brink of death. Vikemon, I had killed myself. I was all that remained of IceDevimon’s original forces, consisting of Parrotmon, Zudomon, and Asuramon. But, that didn’t bother me much; Parrotmon was an insufferable loudmouth, and Zudomon had become treasonous since his rebirth as Vikemon. And besides, I had my own squad of powerful fighters — my Demons, as I liked to call them — who would be more than able to help me unfurl the grand red carpet to my goal. But, alas, their help would not be enough. I needed the abilities of one Digimon in particular in order to set the stage for my grand scheme in the first place. Vehemently neutral, and difficult to locate for that very reason; it would be even harder to convince him to aid me without harming him — and I most definitely needed him alive and unharmed. And so, as I quietly entered the lair of Clockmon, I was not surprised in the least to find myself initially ignored by the Machine Digimon.

“…I take it this means you’re ready, Murmuxmon,” Clockmon finally said after a few moments spent in silence, reading. I nodded solemnly, although the Digimon had his back to me.

“It is time. We must go.”

“I already told you, I don’t want any part in whatever it is you’re planning,” Clockmon said in a surprisingly calm voice.

“Yes, yes, you’ve made your position on the matter very clear when last we met three years ago,” I said.

“Then why come here again, if you know my answer?” Clockmon asked. “I know as well as you do…that you will not harm me. You need me for your oh-so precious scheme.”

“Indeed; that is very true, Clockmon. I have no intention of having any harm befall you,” I answered. “But…I do need your abilities. You, who governs time, Clockmon…I wish to travel to the past.”

“You told me of this countless times; but my answer will remain the same. I will not help you travel back to the Ancient Kingdom.”

“Oh, but you will…Surely, you know by now, what the Ancient Kingdom did to Celicia Kingdom, do you not?”

“…Yes. SkullCaliphmon waged a bloody war that lasted many years, resulting in the deaths of many innocent Humans and Digimon, for it was the desire of SkullCaliphmon to annex Celicia, which is now today all of the continent of Arcadia, and make it a part of his own, where Cyprus Desert stands now.”

“Very good; none can beat a Clockmon when it comes to memorizing the ebbs and flows of history.”

“Flattery will do you no good, Murmuxmon,” Clockmon said. “Threats will do you no good. Killing me will do you less than no good. I’ve no friends, none to call family, that you can threaten into making me do as you wish. I would feel no shame in watching you slaughter an innocent in return for my neutrality.”

“I am aware of that.”

“Then why are you here?!” Clockmon asked once more, finally with a hint of anger in his dull voice.

“…Because I can still force you to do as I wish.” Clockmon gazed at me, silently, glaring spitefully. I smiled. “I promise you, Clockmon…no harm shall befall you. History shall hardly be changed at all.”

“I warn you, Murmuxmon; there is no such thing as a ‘slight alteration’ when history itself is changed! This change will lead to your very demise, mark my words! The past is better off left as is — forgotten and unchanged for all eternity!”

“Necro Interrogation!” A dark violet light shone from my eyes; Clockmon was completely enveloped in its gleam, and then his arms fell limply at his side. “…Now, then…be a good boy, Clockmon, and wait for me. My Demons await their master’s call to action.”

“…Yes…Master,” Clockmon said dully.
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 123 - Distant Utopia

Isole Frost

The vast library in the city of Yew had always been a favorite place of mine to stay when I knew that Lucia was going to be in one of her regular, bitchy moods. Today, however, was different; I had been sent by Master Ulysses to do research on the ancient kingdom known as Celicia, together with Lilliana and Kamemon.
    There was very little known about the kingdom, as it had been destroyed around 1,300 years ago, and very little documents of it existed, apart from the varying speculation of many historians. Apparently, Statuedramon had been alive at that time, but as his memory was still partially lost, it would be no use attempting to retrieve any information from him. Cherubimon and Ophanimon were also alive at that time, but they had departed so soon after Daemon had been defeated, that nobody seems to know where they went. And so, I was stuck with the various and aggravatingly differing accounts of countless scholars.

“Um…Isole?” Lilliana spoke up in her small, timid voice. “I, um, found a few more books on Cyprus Kingdom when SkullCaliphmon was its king, but I couldn’t find any more on the kingdom SkullCaliphmon attempted to take over…”

“That’s fine; I think we’ve got plenty of reading material for now,” I replied, looking up at the mountain of books towering over us; unfortunately, nearly all of them were the usual blathering of a scholar attempting to refute another scholar. “It’s just so annoying; one book says that a Digimon called Murmuxmon leveled SkullCaliphmon’s Cyprus Kingdom to the ground before destroying all of Celicia, but this one says that Murmuxmon worked with the Three Celestial Digimon to protect Celicia from SkullCaliphmon! Not to mention the fact that the master we had before Ulysses was also a Murmuxmon!”

“Couldn’t they have been two different Murmuxmon, though?” Lilliana suggested.

“It’s possible, but keep in mind that Digimon have indefinite lifespans. Coupled with the fact that Murmuxmon are so rare, they are said to be only mythological…”

“But…wouldn’t that mean that the master we had before Ulysses was an evil Digimon?” Kamemon asked.

“…Ugh! This is all so damn confusing! These stupid scholars can’t even agree on one thing! Is Murmuxmon a good or an evil Digimon?!”

“…Isole? Why are we studying these ancient kingdoms anyway?” Lilliana asked. “Did Master tell you why?”

“He just mumbled something under his breath about Wisemon; I didn’t care enough to ask him any more…”

“Oh! Wisemon! Why don’t we just ask him?” Lilliana asked.

“Because he’s out doing some other kind of job,” I replied. “Probably looking for Cherubimon and Ophanimon, if I didn’t know any better.”

“Okay…Well, I’m sure we can probably think of something with just the two of us!” Lilliana exclaimed. I smiled at the younger girl, equally affected by her enthusiasm.

“Yeah, you’re right. The two of us are obviously the smartest Humans at Lachesis, other than Edmund,” I said, whispering the name of the archsage in an almost dreamy tone that I hoped Lilliana and Kamemon didn’t notice. “Now, then…If we can just figure out why King Byron decided to sell out Celicia to SkullCaliphmon…”

“King Byron did no such thing. The good king was too devoted to his wife, daughter, and kingdom to commit such an atrocity.” I looked up and over at a young woman who had approached us. That, however, was all that I was able to tell about her; she dressed herself in a black cloak and shroud that covered her face and most of her body, save for her legs — both of which seemed rather scrawny — her neck, and her face from the lips down. Two thin strands of azure hair hung at either side of her face. She had spoken to us in a quiet, somber voice.

“…And who are you?” I asked. She might be with all of those evil Digimon; she could be with IceDevimon! She could BE IceDevimon! If he’s a shapeshifter…I’d better be careful!

“…My name is Melanie,” the woman said. I noticed her gazing at Lilliana, as did Kamemon. Lilliana in turn could not take her eyes off of the woman, but immediately, Melanie turned to face me. “King Byron was a good man, Isole. He would never condone such a terrible act.”

“How do you know my name?” I asked, growing more suspicious of this strange, somber woman by the minute.

“I…I heard it spoken by the little one, and her Digimon partner,” Melanie replied. “Now, you must listen to me, Isole—”

“Why should I?!” I snapped. “Look, I don’t have any idea who you are, but the two of us are busy at the moment, so if you could just get lost, that’d be great, thank you.”

“Isole, don’t be so mean!” I heard Lilliana whisper. Her words were bolder than any I’ve heard from her before, but the look on her face made it clear that she wished she hadn’t said them. Looking steadily away from me, she would glance at me with a scared look in her eyes every few seconds. And so, I deigned to do as Lilliana asked — I adored her, after all, being the quietest member of the guild. And she was smart! What a combination…

“…Look, I’m sorry. I’m just frustrated with all of these notes and speculations contradicting each other; it makes it damn near impossible to study!”

“Oh, you need not apologize, Isole; I understand perfectly well how difficult it is,” Melanie said.

“So, um, what were you saying about that king? It almost sounded like you knew him…”

“King Byron was a good king, Isole; you need to understand that above all else if you wish to learn about the ancient kingdom.”

“…Okay…? Um…I don’t think I was that debated on the subject myself, even though every note contradicted each other…”

“Isole, listen to me. It is important that you understand that with your heart and soul,” Melanie pressed.

“Okay, okay! I believe you! Jeez…”

“Do you promise?”

“Yes, I do! What’s the big deal?”

“The entire situation is a big deal, Isole. And you will need to act without prejudice in order to resolve the chaos that has been wrought.”

“…What is this all about?” I asked. “Who are you really, Melanie?”
    “I…cannot tell you who I am…but…why I am here…has very much to do with the ancient kingdoms you study,” Melanie began. “…Isole…you will need to go there.”

Murmuxmon

Ancient buildings constructed entirely of white stones dotted the landscape. We had done it. The ones behind me, my servants, had all safely arrived with me, as well as Clockmon.

“So, this is really it, eh?” a blond, well-dressed man named Alphonse Lincoln said in his regular, enthusiastic voice. I grinned.

“Yes; this is Celicia, the Ancient Kingdom!” I roared.

“…Neat! I wonder if the women are as gorgeous as they say,” Alphonse asked.

“Nyah, that’s all what you worrys about,” a Digimon called Puppetmon said. “It’s always da dames on da mind which you, eh?”

“Pretty much,” Alphonse agreed.

“Not much of a Summoner, if you ask me,” a large, red-haired man named Kieran said. “Not much of a warrior, either.”

“Hey, no need to take a risk when you’ve got somebody who’ll gladly do it for you!” Alphonse exclaimed.

“Exactly my point. You are weak.”

“Will you two shut up?! I’m sick of listening to you two arguing!” another Digimon, Agunimon, screamed. In his rage, he had completely enveloped himself in his own flames.

“Yeah, yous guys are boring,” Puppetmon added.

“Who asked you to talk?!” Agunimon snapped.

“That is enough, my children,” I said, stepping between Agunimon and Puppetmon. “Marissa will be back at any moment with a report on our position.”

“…Really?” Kieran asked.

“…I realized how stupid that sounded as soon as I said it,” I admitted.

“Well, when she’s awake, she certainly can be trusted,” Alphonse said. “And wow, talk about a total babe…” Alphonse’s normally wide smile grew even larger as he caught sight of the orange-haired woman slowly walking up to me and my followers.

“Mm…Lord Murmuxmon…sorry for the wait,” Marissa Ruby yawned, something she could often be seen doing. “It…looks like we’re ‘bout one city away from the capital…not too far to Celicia proper…”

“Excellent work, my dear,” I smiled. “You did the job much faster than we all expected…”

“I’m narcoleptic, not lethargic, you know…”

“I know, my dear, I know. You are my most dependable follower…aside from the narcolepsy,” I said. Marissa nodded and smiled, letting out another yawn as she did. “Well now, is everybody ready to proceed?” I asked, looking back to my followers; my Demons. There were no words of dissent, and so I lead us all into the nearby city Marissa had come from, looking for a shortcut to the capital city of Celicia kingdom. As we walked through the streets, I ignored the stares we all got from the passersby. My attention, however, was diverted to something of a riot towards the center of the old city. A young woman, bearing skin as pure white as snow, ran past.

“Yowza,” Alphonse whispered, staring at the woman, in awe of her beauty that had even taken my own breath away.

“Bit of an insurgence going on?” Kieran asked. A huge crowd of people were chasing after the young woman. Intrigued, I stepped before the mob, making them all come to a halt.

“Whatever is the problem?” I asked. I knew not whether to be helpful to the mob of the young lady, so I maintained a neutral tone of voice.

“That girl over there; she be the problem!” one member of the mob said.

“A tiny little thing like her? I can hardly see how she could be so problematic,” I said honestly.

“T’aint wha’ she did; ‘tis what she be!” another person said.

“…Does she have the Mark?” I asked.

“Aye, that she do, right in ‘er belly; but she do be a witch also!” a woman exclaimed. “See that skin? Pure white! And them red eyes! T’aint right!”

Ah, yes…I’d forgotten that the Humans of this time had tanner skin from sun exposure. Differing skin color…what a ridiculously pointless reason to hate another living being. I looked back at the woman the mob had been chasing; she had not said a word in protest of the accusations thrown at her; her somber face neither flinched nor cringed. Her long raven hair waved gently in a passing breeze. Alphonse could not take her eyes off of the solemn beauty. “And, are you certain that the young lady is, in fact, a witch?”

“W-Well, jus’ look at ‘er!” someone said. “She got th’ red eyes of th’ Devil!”

“She needa’ be killed!”

“Now, that’s completely unnecessary,” I commented. “Surely, a more reasonable solution can be reached without the need for violence?” From behind, I could hear a few confused mutters amongst my Demons. “Perhaps…I could take her?” Those in the mob glanced at one another, equally confused.

“Well, if ya promise ta keep this Devil spawn away from us, you kin’ keep ‘er!” someone said. “Just keep this trash outta our town!” The large mob shot dozens of spiteful glares at the woman.

“…What’cha thinking, boss?” Puppetmon asked as the mob began to disperse.

“Who cares? He just spared this little cutie! Would’ve been such a waste,” Alphonse lamented. The woman slowly walked up to me, bowing her head.

“…You have my gratitude, sir,” she whispered, speaking slowly. “My name is Elderia…I…I can never thank you enough…”

“So, then…are you actually a witch? Or were they simply being an ignorant lot?” I asked.

“I…sort of…I’m a gypsy…but…I know magic…I can use magic…”

“Interesting…You may be far more useful than I imagined,” I muttered. “…Elderia. Your life is now mine to do with as I desire, now that I have saved it. Do you understand? You belong to me.”
    “Yes…I shall…do whatever you want of me…anything…For saving my life…I will do anything for you, My Lord,” Elderia whispered.

Eleanora Kasuto

I loved nothing more than lazy Sundays, were the only thing to do was sleep in, eat lunch late, and stuff myself silly with cheesecake until I could do nothing apart from lay back on a sofa and stare at the ceiling. Lunamon nestled her head against my plumpened belly, sleeping soundly. Across from me, Matthew sat in a chair, with his arms and legs crossed, fast asleep.

“Ellie, darling, you look almost as pregnant as I do,” Heather giggled, sitting down on the sofa next to me.

“Fifteen slices of cheesecake will do that to a girl,” I laughed in response. “Is this what it feels like to be pregnant…?”

“Sort of; except that I do get hungry,” Heather smiled.

“Oh, jeez; I definitely won’t be feeling like that for a LONG time…”

“You say that now, but remember; you’ve got the Mark. I’m sure you’ll be hungry in about ten minutes,” Lunamon mumbled. Ignoring her remark, I looked up at Heather and smiled.

“…How’s it going? Felt anything yet?”

“No…just some kicks, but I haven’t felt anything signifying that it’s time,” Heather responded, placing her hands on her round belly. “It should be any day now…That’s what the doctor keeps saying, anyway…”

“Doctors have been wrong before; they might come sooner,” I suggested.

“Oh, I hope so; I love being pregnant, and feeling them move around in my tummy, but I just want these sweet little miracles to be born so I can hold them…Like I used to with Madelyn…”

“…But Madelyn’s back now, Eathie,” I whispered. Heather was beaming now, and her eyes were brimming with tears of joy.

“I never thought I’d see her again…It was so…difficult…to become pregnant with her…and these two…So when Madelyn was taken away from me, I thought my life was over; I never thought I’d get to be a mother again…But now, I’m pregnant with twins, and my beloved Madelyn has returned to me! I just feel so…so…”

“Heather…”

“So…wet…”

“…I did not need to know that, Heather.”

“No! Wet…I think…I think my water just broke…” I instantly shot straight up, knocking Lunamon onto the floor and waking up Matthew. Heather and I locked eyes.

“…S-Surely you jest…”

“Eleanora, my water just broke! I wouldn’t kid about that!” Heather snapped testily.

“B-But…But, I was just kidding about doctors being wrong and the babies coming early! Doctors are never wrong!”

“Well, the babies are coming! NOW!” I felt on the verge of fainting. Lunamon, Heather, Matthew, and I were the only ones in the entire fortress. It was too far and too late to go to Yew and get a doctor…

Chapter 124 - Departure for a New Era

Matthew Kasuto

“Well, the babies are coming! NOW!” My sister looked on the verge of fainting. Lunamon, Heather, Eleanora, and I were the only ones in the entire fortress. It was too far and too late to go to Yew and get a doctor…

Madelyn was there as well, but then Heather began moaning in agony, and the moans shortly turned into screams, so we decided to not bring her to her suffering mother so as not to traumatize her, and prayed that she would not hear the screams. “Oh, Goddess, THEY’RE COMING! THEY’RE COMING!!!!!” Eleanora’s screams synchronized with those of Heather’s, until Lunamon jumped up and slapped her on the back of the head.

“Pull yourself together, woman!” the small Digimon snapped. “Now, we’re the only three here right now, so we have to help Heather! Now…who here knows…how…to deliver a baby…?” A dead silence fell over us.

…Katsumi, please tell me you know how to deliver a baby! I thought.

Yep, I sure do! Now, this is going to get kinda…um, how should I say this…

Complicated? I suggested.

Bloody. Very, very…bloody. Now, first of all, you’re going to need to go boil some water.

Why is that? I’ve heard that, but I never knew why, I pondered.

Honestly…I don’t know either. Just do it. Careful not to burn yourself!

“MATTHEW!” Eleanora screamed. “C’mon, stop spacing out and help me!”

“…Okay…need to go boil some water first,” I muttered.
    Don’t worry, Mattie. I’ll walk you through every step, Katsumi said in a very calm voice.

Isole Frost

“…I…cannot tell you who I am…but…why I am here…has very much to do with the ancient kingdom you study,” Melanie began. “…Isole…you will need to go there.”

“…Excuse me?” I asked, certain that I had misheard her. “You…must be joking…”

“This is no joke, Isole Frost. You and your friends at Lachesis will need to go to the ancient kingdom.”

“You’ve got to be kidding! They don’t call it the ‘ancient’ kingdom for nothing, you know! It fell about 1,300 years ago!”

“Um…Miss Melanie? Do you perhaps mean for us to go where the kingdom was?” Lilliana asked.

“…That would be redundant, for you are already there. Where Celicia was…Yew is. The city of Yew was built in commemoration of Celicia.”

“Melanie, I’m sorry, but I just don’t understand what you’re asking,” I said. “Could you please just tell us what you want us to do?”

“…Of course. I am requesting that you and several members of Lachesis travel through time to go to the ancient kingdom.”

“Time travel?! But that’s impossible!” I yelled, forgetting that I was in a library. I lowered my voice, and said, “Melanie, time travel is forbidden magic! Only a Digimon called Clockmon is able to perform it without any repercussion. Besides which, it’s impossible for anyone else to do it!”

“No. It is not…impossible. It is only labeled as such due to the nature of its unpredictability,” Melanie said. “It is very difficult to perform, though; it requires a bit of time for a large group…”

“So you…are going to send us back in time,” I began.

“Yes.”

“To the ancient kingdom…”

“Yes.”

“…And you expect me to go along with that?!” I shouted, once more forgetting that I was in a library.

“Oh, of course I don’t expect you to believe me; trust me, I know how…unbelievable all of this might sound right now,” Melanie said. “But, Isole…it is very important that you and your friends at Lachesis do this.”

“Sounds like end of the world time again,” I muttered. Melanie shook her head.

“No…It will be far worse than that.” The tone of calm sorrow in Melanie’s voice sent a sharp twinge of chilling fear through my heart. “There are those who have already gone back in time; they seek to alter the course of history. If that happens…then…”

“Then what…?” Lilliana asked in a frightened voice.

“…It’s possible that we may never even know about it; if they alter the course of history, your own pasts will conform to the changes. That’s what makes it all so dangerous…The evil ones; I know not what exactly they plan…but they must be stopped.”

“…Isole…I believe her,” Lilliana whispered. “She sounds so sad…I want to help her!”
    “I believe her too, but…it’s…just so astonishing, is all,” I replied. “But…Miss Melanie, I will take you up on your offer. I’ll take you to our guild hall, but I can’t guarantee that the boss’ll decide to come through with anything…”

Matthew Kasuto

Katsumi was right; it had been a very bloody ordeal. Several times, I felt like vomiting — but I knew I shouldn’t. I knew the pain Heather was in was excruciating beyond belief, so to complain would have felt wrong. Of course, the arrival of Isole was a big help — as was that of a woman named Melanie. Lilliana had simply been sent to her room — being only twelve, nobody wanted to scar her for life. But finally, it had been done. Two lives had been brought into this world, and out of Heather’s belly. One, a tiny dark-haired girl, was being cradled by Eleanora. The other, a blond boy, was held by a teary, smiling Heather. Sitting next to her was Madelyn, gently running her fingers through her new little brother’s hair.

“…What are their names going to be?” Eleanora asked.

“Lloyd…Lloyd and I have already discussed this,” Heather said in a shaky voice. “This little man here…his name will be Isa Matthew Reed.”

“My name…?” I asked

“And that little cutie will be Leila Eleanora Reed,” Heather concluded.

“But…why our names?” Eleanora asked.

“It was something I decided just now, their middle names; if you two hadn’t been here for me…I don’t know what would’ve happened…I can never thank you enough for helping me bring these little ones into the world…So, your names are their middle names.”

“Oh…H-Heather…” Eleanora brought little Leila up to her face so as to hide her tears.

“And you, Mattie…come here.” I did as Heather ask, and sat down on the floor next to the smiling woman. She leaned over and placed a big kiss on the middle of my forehead, right where my Mark was. “…Because of everything you knew…everything you knew how to do…all of this went so much safer than it could have been…Thank you, Matthew, sweetheart…”

“How did you know how to do all that stuff, anyway?” Isole asked.

“I, um…well…I mean…” I glanced over at Katsumi’s spirit.

You don’t have to tell them, she smiled. You don’t have to tell them about me until you’re ready, my love.

“…Well, back before I decided to train as an archer, I would just stay in the guild’s library, and…I guess I must’ve read a book on childbirth or something,” I mumbled.

“Is that so…” I knew right away that she didn’t believe me. But, fortunately, that was not the most important thing right now. Everyone was too focused on Heather, and her newborn twins, so Isole simply dropped the subject. “…When will Ulysses and the others return?”
    “It’ll be a while,” Lunamon stated. “Everyone’s out on a job right now, but the master should return within a few hours.

That Night

Ulysses sat, cross-legged and his head lowered, towards the center of the lounge of the guild. Various looks of confusion and disbelief passed in the eyes of my friends upon hearing Melanie’s story.

“…In all my years of magical study, I’d never once dreamed of such a thing being a possibility,” Edmund said.

“That’s pretty awesome! I’ve always wanted to travel through time!” Sparrow remarked. “Chicks dig time traveling men! I think…”

“Do you believe her, Isole?” Lucia asked.

“Yes, I do. I can sense the sadness in her voice when she first spoke to me and Lilly…” At this point, Ulysses raised his head, and looked over at Melanie.

“My dear, are you yourself capable of Time magic?” he asked. Melanie nodded.

“I would not be suggesting this otherwise; I will travel with you all to the ancient kingdom, and I will do whatever I can to aid you in stopping the evil ones,” Melanie said. “…I’m afraid I do not know their identities, but I do know this; they are not capable of time travel…so they had to force a Digimon named Clockmon to help them.”

“Clockmon?! No way! He’s supposed to be neutral!” Statuedramon exclaimed. “Man, I just spoke with him, like, a month ago, too…What a drag…”

“Well, they found some way to either coerce or force him to assist him,” Melanie said. “That is why I make this request of you, members of Lachesis. Please…come with me to the ancient kingdom. We must stop the evil ones at all costs; the very fabric of reality is at risk.”

“What’ll it be, boss?” Lucia asked. “We gonna help her?”

“…Yes. We will. Even if what she says is a lie, it is too risky to simply ignore.”

“S-Sir Ulysses…I thank you from the bottom of my heart,” Melanie whispered. “I am prepared for us all to go whenever you are finished preparing…”

“Miss Melanie? Something you gotta understand…Us here at Lachesis? We’re always prepared to go,” Ulysses said. “Really, the only thing that needs to be done is decide who’s going with us.”

“Not Heather,” Lucia interjected.

“Oh, come on!”

“No, Heather; the twins need their mother! They were just born,” Lloyd said. “I’ll stay with you too, okay?” Heather said nothing, and looked somewhat disappointed, but still, she smiled.

“…So, aside from you two, who else is staying?” Lucia asked. “Larraine and Lilliana, obviously.”

“No, let me go, too!” Lilliana protested, much to Lucia’s surprise.

“I think that’s a good idea, mom — er, Lucia,” I said. “Lilliana knows a lot about the ancient kingdom, as do I; I think having us both would be rather helpful.”

“…Very well, then. So, Sparrow, Lilliana, Isole, who else wants to go?”

“I…think most of us ought to go,” Ulysses said. “If things are as bad as Melanie says, then we’ll need as many fighters as we can get.”

“I am in full agreement; the enemy is powerful, if they are able to convince Clockmon to aid them,” Melanie said.

“…Statuedramon, Lloyd, Heather, Madelyn, Larraine, Neemon, Bokomon, Loralyn, and Dominimon,” Ulysses began. “All of you shall remain behind. Anyone else who does not wish to go will not be forced to do so.” Not a sound was uttered by those present in the room. Everyone looked enthralled by the thought of traveling through time, even Flamedramon.

“…I’m not going with you this time?” Bokomon whispered.

“Do not fret, Bokomon; from your perspective, we’ll hardly be gone at all; such is the nature of time travel,” Melanie said. Ulysses looked around the group crowded around him, and nodded.

“We shall go in the morning. Rest well, my comrades…and prepare for the upcoming day.”

Chapter 125 - Disowned by Time

Isole Frost

Melanie led our guild towards the outskirts of Yew, in the middle of an open field. It was high noon; the middle of a sunny, cloudless afternoon. Melanie laid a spellbook out on the ground, and began chanting an incantation in an ancient language.

I wonder what the words mean; I’ve never heard or seen them in any of my own spellbooks, I thought. A burst of pale blue light erupted from the ground underneath Melanie’s book. Pages of the book flipped wildly back and forth in the resulting whirlwind.

“Someone…will need to remain here…and ensure that nobody enters the warp in time by mistake,” Melanie said. “The warp will not dissolve until we arrive back; though it could be instantaneous, it just as easily couldn’t be. We will need to post a guard…by the warp.”

“Guard it, I will,” Andromon spoke up.

“…Are you sure?” Melanie asked.

“Need food or drink, I do not; require rest, I do not,” Andromon said. “…Enjoy them, do I…but unnecessary for me, they are. Guard the warp, I shall.”

“Thank you very much…Andromon,” Melanie said. The robed young woman smiled almost unnoticeably at the Cyborg Digimon as he stepped away from the group, and then faced the remainder of us. “Is…Is everybody ready…?”

“Wait! Wait!” Sparrow’s arm shot up into the air.

“If you have to piss, do it in your pants,” Lucia said.

“No, it’s not that! I just have a question for Melanie!” the redhead shot back. “Could you…lower your hood?” I rolled my eyes.

“…W-Why…do you…want…that?” Melanie asked shyly. What little of her face I could see was reddened with embarrassment.

“I want to see how pretty you are!” Again, I rolled my eyes. Melanie slowly shook her head.

“N-No…p-please, no…”

“Aw, c’mon; I’m sure you’re just beautiful!” Sparrow said. Melanie shrunk away, hiding behind me. Lucia grabbed Sparrow by the collar of his shirt, and shoved him into the warp in time, walking in after him. A rush of excitement rushed over me, and I ran up and into the warp after Lucia. And then, it was all ablur. I was surrounded in a silver fog, and then I landed on the ground.

“…Jeez; my neck’s all stiff…Ah, can barely move the damn thing…” Slowly, I climbed to my feet; slightly dazed, I looked around the dusty fog. “…The hell is everybody? God, I hope nothing happened during the time travel…thingy…”

“Isole…? Isole, is that you?” I looked up upon hearing the voice of Lucia. “…It appears that our venture was a success.”

“…We’ve traveled to the past,” I said breathlessly. “We…We’re in the past! We’re in the ancient kingdom! We’re in Celicia!”

“HALT!” My heart instantly sank. Standing just ahead of our group was a large Ogremon. “You are trespassing on private property! You are all hereby under arrest for this heinous crime!”

“…Property? There isn’t a building in sight,” I commented.

“Oh; questioning the authority of the second-in-command, are you?! GUARDS!” Ogremon stuck his fist in his mouth and whistled, and instantly, a herd of Minotarumon, each of them carrying some crude spear, axe, or some other kind of weapon, emerged from the ground, surrounding us all. “Take ‘em all. They’ll be participating.” Ogremon and the Minotarumon forced all of us to our feet, prodding us in our backs with their various weapons while unarming us of our own.

“Don’t provoke them,” Lucia mouthed. “Just do as they say for now.” I nodded, and looked around at our group.

“…Not everybody’s here!” I almost shouted. From behind me, I could hear Melanie gasp in shock.

“…No…This…can’t be!” she said. “…It wasn’t supposed to be this way…” Sparrow, Eleanora, Mia, Giselle, Celtinemon, AeroVeedramon, Elizabeth, Sieglinde, Tactimon, Matthew, Tamiko, Kentaurosmon, Melanie, Lucia, Edmund, and Zelda had all arrived with me, but none of the others were anywhere to be seen.

“We can’t worry about that now,” Lucia replied. “We’ll find them later.”

“Enough talking!” Ogremon jabbed his club into my lower back. But I couldn’t resist asking one more question.

“Where are you taking us?” Ogremon grinned, a vile and nauseating grin.
    “Yeh must be new ‘round ‘ere if yeh don’t know,” he said. “We’s takin’ yeh’s to The Games.”

Lilliana Meadows

“…Where is everybody?” I whispered. Kamemon held tightly onto my hand as I looked around the small savannah. A few of my friends were with me, but most of them were nowhere to be seen. But, most astonishing of all, Madelyn was with us.

“Young lady, what are you doing here?” Ulysses asked gruffly. Madelyn calmly stood up, and dusted off her dress. “Your mother and father will be worried sick about you! Why did you come with us?!”

“…I just wanted to give them some time alone with the twins,” she replied in a cool voice.

“That is hardly an excuse — this is dangerous, and your parents just got you back! I don’t want to see them sad again in case something happens to you!” Abigail said.

“I…I apologize for inconveniencing you all…but I felt it better to leave them alone,” Madelyn whispered. Ulysses and Abigail glanced at each other, both of them shaking their heads.

“Um…Madelyn…? Are you maybe…feeling a little jealous?” I asked in a small voice.

“What is there to feel jealous about? She’s just been reunited with her family, and now she has a little brother and a little sister!” Flamedramon said.

“I think that’s what Lilliana’s gettin’ at,” Kamemon said. “D’ya maybe feel like maybe you were gettin’ replaced, Madelyn?”

“…Not on purpose,” Madelyn replied. “I…I know it’s not exactly like that; I knew they didn’t want me to be taken away, but still…”

“Madelyn…I want to tell you something, as a mother,” Abigail said. “Our children, no matter how old they get, will always be our precious little babies, and we don’t favor one of our babies over the other. I may only have one child biologically, but I know this for a fact. Heather and Lloyd will always love you, no more and no less than they love Leila and Isa. That’s what Katsumi was so worried about; she was scared that Luna loved her adopted daughter, Chrysania, more than her birth daughter. So, there’s nothing to be worried about, dear…”

“I know…I don’t even know where these thoughts come from…”

“No need to blame yourself; I heard its normal for siblings to get jealous of newborn siblings, or something like that,” Quetzalmon said.

“…Well, now that you’re here, you may as well help us look for the others,” Ulysses said. “Damnit…even Melanie is missing…” That, perhaps, was the most distressing issue; Melanie, the one who had brought us here, was nowhere to be seen, and so for now, returning to the future, our present, was nothing short of impossible. The looks on the faces of Hawkmon, Kamemon, Madelyn, Ulysses, Flamedramon, Abigail, Quetzalmon, Mihiramon, Lupinemon, Trionfimon, Lunamon, and Coronamon told me they were all thinking the same thing.

Chapter 126 - Let the Games Begin

Isole Frost

“So, allayeh listen here; yer all now a part of the Games!” Ogremon repeated, leading us all into a dim prison. Each of the Minotarumon shoved us into a different cell, and locked the doors behind us. I wasn’t particularly scared; I knew all of us together could overpower these Digimon. What bothered me was that Lucia told us not to; she and Melanie had agreed that doing so would alter the course of history, or some such nonsense. “So, if yeh don’t knows what that means, it means yer lives are now MINE to control! Gya ha!”

“…I’m guessing you’re going to make us participate,” I muttered.

“Yeh got that right, girlie! Yer here, and yer competin’!” Ogremon laughed. “And yeh’d better b’lieve you’ll be puttin’ on a good show fer the crowd!”

“Um…forgive me, sir, but not everybody here is a fighter,” Tamiko said quietly.

“Shut yer trap! You’ll be fightin’ if yeh don’t want yer other friends teh get hurt!” Ogremon snapped. Tamiko shrank back against Kentaurosmon. “And make it a GOOD fight, too! No half-assin’ anything! And you’ll be startin’ today!”

Jeez, this probably can’t get any worse…

“PHERAGAS?!” Zelda practically screamed. I looked across to the opposite end of the room where Zelda was. A large man, bald and dark-skinned, sat on his cot in his own jail cell. He looked up when Zelda shouted the name.

“…Yes? Vut is it?” he asked. “Who ah you? And ‘ow do you know who I am?”

“Pheragas, it’s…me! Oh…but, this is the past…”

“Probably an ancestor to the man you knew?” I suggested.

“…Just like him…he looks just like the Pheragas I knew five-hundred years ago. Er, seven-hundred years from now, I guess?”

“Vut ah you talking about?” Pheragas asked. “I ‘ave been ‘ere my entire life. I do not know you.”

“No…no, of course you don’t…I apologize for bothering you, sir,” Zelda whispered.

“Tink noting of it. Ve vill be competing together in de games, so ve vill ‘ave to be friends, no?”

“…That would be wonderful…”

“Although, ve may ‘ave to be ending up doing de fighting as vell…”

We’ll have to fight HIM, too?! Goddess, he could probably snap freaking Talosmon in half with his bare hands! Okay, NOW things couldn’t get any worse…

“YOU!” Ogremon jerked a green thumb in my direction. “Yer competin’ first, tiny! You and…THEM TWO!” Ogremon pointed at Giselle and Celtinemon. “You’ll be tag teamin’ against…”

…Way to go, Isole. You and your big inner voice…

“YOU! And…YOU!” Ogremon pointed at Sieglinde and Tactimon. My heart sank. Sieglinde and Tactimon were among the strongest members of our guild. And Ogremon expected us to fight them head-on?! Subconsciously, I glanced over at Pheragas, who gave me an encouraging nod of his massive, bald head.

“Just do it,” he whispered. “Dat is de vay de games vork ‘ere. Dat vill be de only vay you vill all make vith de surviving.”

Well, it’s either that, or let these bastards hurt my friends…and since I’m competing alongside Giselle, it probably won’t be her that they hurt if I don’t fight, so I might as well…

“AN DON’ FERGET; FIGHT WITH EVER’THING YOU GOTS, OR YER PALS ‘LL GET IT!” Ogremon roared, opening up our cell doors. Worriedly, I glanced up at Tactimon.

“What are we going to do?!” I whispered. The black-armored Digimon merely shook his head.

“I do not know, Isole; but we must fight, as much as it pains me to say it. Yes, we could prevent this, but Lucia is correct; if we alter the past, then it could have dire consequences on the future we came from. And besides…” The Digimon looked down at me. “We cannot let them hurt our friends. Isole…Give it your all. Please.”

“…Okay. I will. But only if you do too, Tactimon,” I said. Sieglinde, Tactimon, Isole, Celtinemon, and I all walked through a pair of large doors held open by two Minotarumon, and walked out into a huge arena.

“LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, and Digimon of all ages! Welcome…to another exciting round of the Games you all hold close to your heart!” A Digimon I recognized as a Lampmon floated around the arena, apparently serving as the announcer. “Word has reached me that our recruitment staff has located several very brave and very willing volunteers to participate in today’s matches!”

Willing?! The forced us into their fucking dungeon! I almost wanted to scream. Though, I doubt it would have made a difference if I did or did not, as nobody would have heard me over the roar of the crowd.

“So, everybody; put your hands together for our first team; a pair of powerful swordsmen from parts unknown! Give it up for SIEGLINDE and TACTIMON!” My two friends were rushed to the opposite half of the arena from Giselle and I. “And now, for our second team; a triad of women whose beauty knows no rivals! Give it up for ISOLE FROST, GISELLE ALBERONA, and CELTINEMON!” The crowd was screaming in wild anticipation for our fight. Nervously, I glanced across at Sieglinde and Tactimon. Tactimon simply shook his head over the entire ridiculous situation, and Sieglinde had a look of deep sorrow in her eyes. She was not the slightest bit arrogant, but she and I both knew that Giselle and I wouldn’t stand a chance against even just her. Celtinemon might last longer, but in the end, there was no doubt that Sieglinde and Tactimon would emerge almost completely unscathed. “Ladies and gentlemen…LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!”

“Um…I don’t even have a weapon! What am I going to do?!” Giselle exclaimed.

“Oh, come on; have you already forgotten?! Your Digivice! Use it!”

“Oh…Oh! Yeah, got it! D.N.A. Charge! Overdrive!”

“Celtinemon Digivolve to, Morgannamon!”

“…She wasn’t lying about Digivolving to Mega…good. Okay, now, just, I dunno, be a hand-to-hand fighter!” I pulled a small dagger out from the blue sash around my waist as Sieglinde rushed up to me. Haven’t used this since I shanked Carmillamon…No, stay focused. She and I both know this needs to be done; she’s strong. Don’t hold back! I made a few feints at her, all of which she dodged adeptly and gracefully. Her ponytail danced wildly in the air, earning a few whistles and applause. She held out her rapier, and I noticed a flash of hesitation in her eyes.

“Do it,” I whispered. “Don’t worry about me.” Sieglinde nodded, and jabbed with her rapier; I tried to dodge, but my robe sleeve got caught and torn by the blade. A thin cut formed on my left arm. I gave the blonde a smile of reassurance, and tore the rest of my sleeve off.

“Night of the Falling Stars!” Morgannamon raised her staff up into the air, and unleashed several glimmering falling stars from the day sky, earning a wild roar from the crowd. The stars struck the ground around Tactimon and Sieglinde, both of whom narrowly dodged the attacks.

“Primary Tactic!”

“Clear Moon Sky!” The attacks of the two Mega Digimon collided midair. The crowd went wild.

Is this all there is to it? This isn’t so bad, I guess…Sieglinde had even managed to find a way to jab her rapier quickly, but delicately enough for me to either dodge with ease, or not even notice the pain I felt from being lightly stabbed. Sieglinde, in turn, was already fast enough to dodge each jab of my dagger. And then, I heard a few voices in the crowd complain about Giselle, and her lack of action. I glanced over at Lampmon, who was conversing with Ogremon, when the announcer jerked his head over at the brunette. For fuck’s sake…that stupid kid’s going to get us all killed!

“…I’m sorry,” Sieglinde whispered, noticing the fear on Giselle’s face. She rushed towards her, and my body suddenly moved on its own. Sieglinde swung her blade, and I pushed Giselle out of the way just in time. Sieglinde’s rapier tore through my robes and my skin, causing a mess of blood to fall to the ground. The crowd was now beside itself with joy and excitement at this. I clutched my chest, and fell to my knees. “N-No! Isole…”

“Don’t…worry about it,” I panted. “Just go along with it…okay…? As Lucia ordered…don’t do anything that would drastically alter the past, or our future may cease to exist.”

“Clear Moon Sky!” Morgannamon flew above me, and fired several blasts of light at both Sieglinde and Tactimon. Both warriors fell to the ground, defeated. A gong sounded.
    “Ladies and gentlemen, it has been decided! The winners of this match are Isole, Giselle, and Morgannamon!” The air, the very sky rumbled with the raucous screams of the observing crowd; it was deafening. And I hated it. There was nothing I detested more than loud noises, and the blood that flowed from the bodies of my dear friends — not to mention myself — made it all the worse. It was horrid.

People were horrid…

Murmuxmon

Out across the sandy horizon, the stone block architecture of SkullCaliphmon’s castle shimmered and wavered in the harsh light of the desert sunlight. I looked down at my hands — my now Human hands, as a part of my disguise. I had changed my shape into that of King Byron’s, the king of the ancient kingdom of Celicia. And the real one? Killed. Done in by my hand. And the best part was, the queen, Mana, had no inkling of my plan in the slightest; she fully believed that I was her husband.

“Are you okay, dear?” Mana asked, walking up to me.

“…Fine, my love,” I replied absentmindedly. “Just…thinking about that castle.”

“I know…SkullCaliphmon must be stopped if we are to all live in peace,” Mana whispered. “But…the thought of attacking first doesn’t sit right with me, especially since they’ve done nothing as of late…”

“Do not fret; I will deal with this situation,” I said. “I promise to protect you, and Citrine as well.”

“I know, I know…It just scares me…You can never know what SkullCaliphmon’s thinking…”

“That’s assuming he does in the first place,” I muttered. “…Mana…SkullCaliphmon has requested an audience with me today. I…didn’t want to tell you because I did not wish to worry you…”

“…That’s okay…Do you want me to go with you?”

“No. I’ll only take a few of the royal guard with me; I’ll leave the captain behind with you in case…you know…”

“You’re not even taking EmperorGreymon? Are you certain?” Mana asked.

“Don’t worry, dear. I promise…I’ll come back safely. We’re just talking,” I said, holding the beautiful queen close to me. EmperorGreymon had been among the many those I had yet to convince to join me, and I doubted I ever would. He had an unshakeable loyalty to his queen and kingdom, and he was a member of the Celestial Vanguard, the group that Omnimon, Seraphimon, and Apollomon had all been a part of. This was not a problem; however, as I was not, in reality, the king, I had to exude utmost caution around this powerful Digimon. One false move, and it could all be over for me. This didn’t bother me as much as when I first arrived in the ancient kingdom with my followers. That had been seven years ago, at least for us and those around us. But, I knew the members of Lachesis would be arriving soon. I was surprised that they hadn’t yet, until I stopped to consider the intricacies and nuances of time travel, a feat that always made my head hurt. I had really grown close to Queen Mana, I felt; only 34 years old, and in the prime of her exquisite beauty, I found my thoughts often directed around her, but as always, I had to remind myself of my mission. The destruction of both Lachesis and the kingdom of SkullCaliphmon were the bulk of that mission. SkullCaliphmon’s downfall was more a personal matter than that of Lachesis, so as I gathered around me my Demons, I reminded them that they were to avoid the Mega Digimon at all costs — he was mine to kill. The castle was just within reach now, and I had turned back into Murmuxmon. Of course, my coming was a surprise to the castle’s residents — I had lied to Mana about the meeting that was planned between us. And so, when we began our assault, many a Digimon tried to stop us, and many a Digimon fell in defeat.

“You boneheads! Don’t let this castle fall! If we lose it, our kingdom is no more!” SkullCaliphmon called out. Tactimon, SkullCaliphmon’s most loyal knight in the past and a member of Lachesis in the future, jumped out at us, but he was knocked to the side, unconscious, by Kieran. Alphonse and Marissa had eliminated an entire squadron of SkullScorpiomon all on their own, while Puppetmon and Agunimon had managed to defeat some SkullBaluchimon. All that remained was SkullCaliphmon himself. The skeleton king gritted his teeth in anger as I approached. “Jeez, first those Vanguard bastards come in and wreck shit up, and now this boner…When will it ever end?!”

“…You fought against the Vanguard? Interesting.”

“Oh, come one! What is your problem with me, anyway?! Did that Vanguard send ya’ in to kill me, huh?!”

“…I don’t know what you mean. I have nothing to do with them.”

“Ah, cut the shit, mate! I saw you with ‘em! Yer their blasted lackey!” Now, I was genuinely perplexed. Was there another Murmuxmon that I didn’t know about? Or, was this a previous incarnation of myself? Well, none of that mattered to me at that moment, for I was ready to attack.

“Gehenna Flame!” A deep crimson flame rose up from the ground. SkullCaliphmon’s castle was consumed by a maddened hellfire. Fleeing remnants of SkullCaliphmon’s army were caught up in the inferno, and burned to ash within seconds of touching the flames. SkullCaliphmon himself swung his sword, and vanished.

Oh well, I thought. I may not have killed him, but his kingdom, his army, all of it was as good as finished. Many of the civilians that had lived in his kingdom had left of their own accord to Celicia Kingdom, but those who didn’t became fuel for my all-consuming flames. “…And with that, I am one step closer to achieving my goal. Lachesis…you…are next.”

Chapter 127 - Sparrow vs Edmund

Sparrow Lea

“WHAAAAT?! I have to fight HIM?!” I screamed. Edmund Luxord looked equally perplexed at the thought of having to fight me in return. Behind me, lying in a cot, a sleeping Isole covered in bandages stirred in her sleep.

“Yep! Jus’ think o’ this o’ bein’ a battle o’ brain against brawn!” Ogremon said, looking quite pleased with himself and his decision.

“But his brain is going to kill me!” I whined.

“…If you vould like, I could take your place,” Pheragas the First suggested. “Den, it vould really be a battle of the brains and de brawn.”

“What?! I’ll show you! I can do this!” I snapped. “…Even though it’ll probably kill me…And Hawkmon isn’t even here…”

“Too bad! Git ready fer this!” Ogremon opened up mine and Edmund’s cell doors, and let us both out. Oh, how tempted I was to bash that stupid Digimon’s head in, but the warning Lucia gave us echoed consistently in my mind. And so, I began mentally preparing myself for an imminent death at Edmund’s hands — or rather, mind — and stepped out into the coliseum’s arena. A Lampmon stepped out and introduced us — accidentally calling me Jack at one point rather than my name. Every bit of me was trembling at the thought of having to fight Edmund, who many firmly believed to be the strongest member of our guild.

“…Let’s get this over with,” Edmund said. “Give it your all, understand? For the sake of our comrades!”

“R-Right!” I raised my axe up into the air, and rested its handle on my shoulder. “Listen here, Edmund! I won’t be going easy on you just because you have a hot mom! You’d better believe I’ll be coming out the winner!”

“Ooh, and the trash talking has already begun!” Lampmon exclaimed. “And if Sparrow’s telling the truth, then I wouldn’t mind getting a closer look at Edmund’s mother, if you know what I mean! But, which of these two fighters will emerge victorious?! Only time shall tell!”

“All right! Let’s get this—!” I rushed in towards Edmund, which I immediately knew was a big mistake. All it took was a single snap of the archsage’s fingers, and I was engulfed in flames. It really wasn’t hot at all, but it still hurt like hell. I fell to the ground in an instant.
    “Uh…looks like…Edmund Luxord is the winner!” Lampmon exclaimed in a surprised voice. The crowd went wild, and I passed out completely.

Isole Frost

The obnoxious cheers from the crowd woke me from a blissful slumber. I tried to raise myself up, but a sharp, stinging pain on my chest kept me from doing so.
    Right…Sieglinde…her sword got me…And then Morgannamon…she defeated her and Tactimon…how long ago was that? Have I been asleep all this time? How bothersome…

“…Isole…” Melanie’s voice trembled delicately at my side. “I…I’m so…sorry…I never meant for any of this to happen…”

“Don’t worry ‘bout it…I’ll be fine…Ogremon said I can’t fight for a while anyway, since there’s no joy in watching someone beat up an injured girl,” I laughed.

“That isn’t…what I meant,” Melanie said. “All of this…none of this was supposed to happen. We weren’t supposed to end up in this horrible place, I swear it! I…I…”
    “…Dry those tears, love…We all believe you…We can all tell how honest…how…sincere you are when you talk…how passionate…You’re one of us, Melanie…we all love you, and trust you…and we’ll help you stop the monster who wants to ruin everyone’s future. We’ll help…you…” I laid my head back down into my pillow and closed my eyes. Sleep had taken hold of me, once more pulling my consciousness into the realm of dreams and nightmares. Before I left, I almost could have sworn that Melanie almost began to glow in a white light…

Mana Celicia

Byron had been gone for quite a while; he was a fair and fine warrior, but there was no telling what SkullCaliphmon would do. I sincerely doubted that he would request a peace talk, knowing him, and Byron had gone to visit him unarmed and without EmperorGreymon, or any of our finest knights. I missed him, and I felt terribly worried about the whole situation. I’d have gone to see my precious daughter, but she had become rather closed off as of late, and I wanted to give her her space. I decided to take a walk through the palace garden to get my mind off of everything.

Our kingdom of Celicia was a peaceful one. Though I was its queen, it was more than perfectly safe for me to wander the streets of my kingdom without cause for alarm. It was wonderful. Everyone I passed by smiled so kindly at me, it was enough for me to forget that I bore the Mark. Though I had been born a princess, my station and that of my family was rather low; marrying the high prince, Byron, seemed like an unachievable dream. It wasn’t until much later in my life that I realized that our station was lower than others due to my Mark. Had I been with a Digimon? Had my parents? No. And yet, we were all seen fit to be cursed with the accursed brand on my belly. And, in spite of this, once I had married dear Byron, I was never again shunned, or insulted, or attacked ever again. As all of these thoughts raced through my mind, I noticed a large group of befuddled travelers.

My…what strange clothing they all have; they can’t be from around here! And they look a little lost. Let’s see if I can help them! “Good day, travelers; pardon me, but you all appear to be rather worn out and lost. Might there be anything I can do to assist you…?” An aged man, possibly the group’s leader, stepped up to speak to me.

“I apologize for the inconvenience, milady, but I wish to know if this is in fact Celicia Kingdom?” the man asked.

“Yes, it is! Might I ask where you are from?” I smiled.

“Where we…are from? Yes, yes…we, uh…we’re from—”

“We came from the eastern continent,” a lovely blonde woman spoke up. Like me, she had the Mark on her belly.

“Oh my! What a rough journey that must have been!” I exclaimed. “Would you all care to rest in the palace? All of you looks very exhausted…”

“We thank you for the offer, milady, but we do not wish to impose upon you,” the older man said.

“Oh, it isn’t any trouble at all, dears; I’m the queen of this kingdom, after all!” I giggled.

“Y-You’re the…queen?!”

“…You really aren’t from around here, are you? Well, that’s fine! I would appreciate your company, actually; my husband is out for a…chat with a Digimon called SkullCaliphmon, and he has been gone for quite some time, I’m afraid, and I…I’m rather worried about him…”

“Where you, now? Well, you needn’t worry anymore, my love.” My heart skipped a beat at the sound of my husband’s deep but calm, soothing voice. “I apologize for…Y-YOU!” Byron gasped, and glared at the group of travelers I had been talking to. “…Er…Might I…ask who you all are?”

“They’re a group of travelers from the Eastern Continent, darling,” I smiled. “I invited them to stay in the castle while recovering from their long journey across the sea.”

“I…see…Well, travelers, I implore that you ask if there is anything I may do to help you rest,” Byron said.
    …I haven’t seen that look in his eyes before…For a moment, he almost seemed…malicious…No, I must be imagining things. I must be as exhausted as these dear travelers…

Andromon

Several minutes have passed since my friend were transported back in time by Melanie. And to think, I had expected them to arrive a mere split second later.

Oh well…explain the intricacies of time travel, no one can, I thought wearily. Behind me, the time warp Melanie had opened emitted a bright blue light, and gave off a tremendous energy that made even me tremble with fear. I closed my eyes, and tilted my head up towards the sky.

“…Do Andromon dream of electric Sheepmon?” My eyes opened at the sound of Dominimon’s voice. He and Bokomon, both out of breath, had arrived near the portal.

“What you are doing, might I ask?”

“Andromon, it’s…well, it’s a little complicated,” Bokomon stammered.

“Madelyn has gone missing, it seems; Lloyd and Heather are beyond frantic with fear, so we decided to come here,” Dominimon said. “…We both suspected she may have left with the others back in time. Call it a fatherly hunch…”

“…Understand the reasoning process of Humans, I will never,” I sighed. “But step aside, I shall…trust you both, I do.”

“Thank you, old friend,” Dominimon whispered. “…I never even thanked you properly for keeping my Zelda safe while you traveled with her for all those years.”

“No need, you have…Flamedramon and Abigail…did most of the work, they did,” I said.

“…I’ll find some way to pay you all back someday. But, for Heather and Lloyd, I shall go and find their daughter.”

“Find her, you will…And good luck,” I smiled at the two Digimon. Bokomon and Dominimon both nodded at me, and stepped into the gleaming light of the time portal.

Chapter 128 - Out of the Blue

Murmuxmon

I knew right away that those members of Lachesis with old man Ulysses weren’t the only ones he had brought with him. And, it had not taken me long to figure out where they had ended up — I saw, on my way back to the castle, a skirmish in the coliseum between Sparrow and Edmund. That was problematic; Edmund was strong, and I had seen his parents among those who had gone with Ulysses. I decided against wasting time worrying about how they ended up here in the past at all, and spent my time thinking of ways to quietly eliminated them. But there was another issue — Mana had grown quite fond of them. Slaughtering them outright wouldn’t go well towards concealing my identity. Fortunately, my path hardly ever crossed with that of Ulysses; I had feared that spending too much time in my presence would reveal my identity as Murmuxmon. After all, it was I who chosen him to be the next leader of that mercenary guild.

“Well, no matter…I suppose my first business should be that of that coliseum,” I muttered. “…If I send a few down there…then maybe I could kill two birds with one stone; get rid of both Lachesis and the Games that so distressed Mana. And I needed her in my favor. There is nothing quite like having royalty indebted to you. All right; time to rally my forces and kill those bastards from Lachesis.”

Madelyn Reed

I knew that Ulysses and a few of the others were still cross with me for having accompanied them to the past. But, at the moment, none of that mattered to me. Immediately after settling into the room given to me at the castle, Queen Mana had immediately sensed the guilt and distress in my heart, so she introduced me to her daughter, the princess Citrine. The two of us had become friends so quickly, that I regretted my initial regret over having come to the past.

Citrine was a shy and withdrawn girl, with hair the color of her namesake, and close to my age; from time to time, I suspected Mana brought her to me in hopes that she would open up a bit more. But, whatever her reasoning, I’m glad she did. I loved Citrine like a sister right from the start; although, I often felt like the older one, due to Citrine’s shy temperament. And to think, I came with Ulysses and the others over sibling jealousy in the first place! The two of us stayed up long past midnight chatting about the silliest little things.

“S-So, did I, um, tell you that I have the Mark…?” Citrine asked.

“No, but I saw it on Mana’s tummy, so I assumed you have it as well,” I smiled.

“It, um…It’s…between my…you know…o-on my…c-c-chest,” Citrine said quietly. “Um…I…I don’t really want to show it to you…”

“That’s okay; even if it were somewhere else, you wouldn’t have to show me if you didn’t want to,” I said. Citrine smiled at me, and then looked down nervously at the floor. “…Citrine? Is there something wrong?”

“…W-Well, um…”

“You can tell me, Citrine. It’s okay,” I whispered gently. Citrine remained silent for a few moments, and then looked me directly in the eyes.

“…Madelyn? Can you promise not to tell anyone what I’m about to tell you?” Citrine asked. There was such purity in her eyes; how could I have refused?

“Of course; this’ll be just between us, I promise.”

“…Well…it…has to do with my…legs,” Citrine began.

“You mean how they don’t work properly?”

“Yes…And, um…Do you know how…m-my father…acts so nice around other people?”

“Yes…?” The uncertainty with which Citrine spoke filled me with dread; I had remembered the scathing look he gave to Ulysses just the other day when we first arrived at the castle, and it had bothered me ever since. “…What about it?”

“…Would you believe me…if I told you that if it was because of my father that my legs don’t work right?”

“What…are you saying?” I whispered.

“Madelyn…m-my father…something about him has changed…It was about seven years ago when I first noticed a change in his personality. I…I asked him about it, to see if he was okay…that was the first time he…he hurt me…I don’t know how he does it…it’s like he’s doing it with his mind, or some kind of Digimon’s ability. He keeps hurting me…he’s been hurting me ever since then…and I don’t know why…”

“Oh, Citrine…I’m so sorry…Does your mother know?” I asked.

“…I’ve tried telling her…but she doesn’t believe me…She doesn’t believe that it’s my father hurting me…but she does everything she can do to help me out and everything, so I can’t really fault her…”

“…Well…you know what I think we should do?” As the thought entered my mind, my heart fell to the pit of my stomach. “…Let’s watch him for a while. There’s something up, I can tell. So, let’s watch him!”

“Maddie…”

“W-Well, I guess you can’t really walk around…But I can go watch him! Yeah! I’ll definitely go watch him!”

“Are you certain about this…?”

“Of course! I want to do whatever I can to get you to stop hurting, because you’re my friend!”

“…Madelyn…”
    “Don’t worry about me! I’ll be back in a flash!” Without even bothering to wait for a response, I ran happily out of the room.

Lilliana Meadows

“Lilliana, please tell me you’re kidding!” Kamemon gasped.

“…What’s wrong? I just suggested to go shopping for Mister Byron in town,” I said.

“Lilly…do you have any idea how bad of an idea that is?”

“What do you mean…?”

“Lilliana…I’ve never said this before…but, you have a horrible sense of direction,” Kamemon said. “You get lost in the fortress back home, for Arcadia’s sake. There’s no way you can make it to town and back to the castle!”

“Wha—? Kamemon! Why would you say that…?”

“Well, because it’s the truth,” Kamemon said flatly. “I mean this in the nicest way possible, but…you couldn’t find water if you fell out of a boat.”

“K-Kamemon…sniff…”

“Don’t be like that, Lilliana; I’m not trying to be mean—”

“I was going to ask you to come with me so I wouldn’t get lost!” I wailed.

“O-Oh…I thought…you were going alone…”

“Well, I am now! I don’t wanna go anywhere with you!” I screamed at the small Digimon, running as fast as I could out of the castle. Tears clouded my vision, and though I really did not know where the town actually was, I ran and ran to get away from Kamemon. Some Digimon partner he was! I kept on running until I tripped over my own feet, and fell to the ground, sobbing. I lifted my dirt and tear-covered face, ignoring my glasses as they fell to the ground. Something shot past me overhead, and I looked up at the sky just in time to see a giant blade cut through the air. Had I not moved out of the way when I did, the sword would have cut clear through my belly and severed me in half. Two enormous Digimon stood before me, poised to attack. “W-Who are you…?!”

“My name is Butenmon,” the Digimon carrying the giant sword spoke up. “My partner here is GrapLeomon.”

“We were sent by our master…to eliminate you of Lachesis,” GrapLeomon whispered. “Prepare yourself, little one! Lion Beast Wave Slash!”

“Dance of the Sun!”

“DJ Shooter!” Discs flew above my head and crashed into the two Digimon, stopping them both in their tracks. “Lilliana!”

“…G…Gwappamon…”

“…I knew I shouldn’t have let you go out on your own. We gotta keep remembering that there’s someone evil here who’s fixing on screwing up time and space,” Gwappamon said. “Don’t leave my side. I promised to always protect you. It’s time for me to keep my word!”

“…I’m sorry for what I said earlier,” I whispered.

“Don’t worry about it. I was entirely at fault. I shouldn’t have said…any of that stuff,” Gwappamon whispered. “Now then…who are these guys?”

“They said their names were Butenmon and GrapLeomon…”

“Ultimate level Digimon, huh…? Lilliana, you should get out of here. There’s a chance…I might not make it. You need to get out of here…get Flamedramon and Abigail. They’re probably the only ones who can defeat these two. I’ll hold them off until you get back, okay?”

“No! Gwappamon…I-I won’t leave you!”

“Go on! If you don’t want me to die, then you’ll go get help! Right now!”

“…Gwappamon…” I clutched my Digivice close to my chest, and fresh tears filled my eyes once more. I turned away as Gwappamon ordered, when a pure blue light shone out from my purse. I peered inside, and gasped when I saw a card of the same color. “…Gwappamon, wait! Take this!” I held the card up; its sapphire radiance shone on the three Digimon before me, taking their minds off the ensuing fight for just a moment. “Digi-Modify! Matrix Digivolution Activate!”

Chapter 129 - A Link to the Past

Madelyn Reed

King Byron…King Byron…Where could he be…? I quietly walked around the large castle, trying not to appear to be too suspicious. I was surprised at how well I was able to navigate Castle Celicia; I guess my time spent in Silverveil wasn’t a total waste after all!

“…Hey.” My heart leaped practically out of my chest. Melanie was right behind me; I was unsure how long she had been following me, but I wouldn’t give her the satisfaction of an answer to show just how clueless and unobservant I really was…

“Melanie…what are you doing here?!” I whispered loudly. “I…I didn’t even think you were in this group here! Where are the others? Where did you come from?”

“You’re searching for the king…aren’t you?” Melanie asked.

“Oh, um…yeah…?”

“…I felt that might be the case. Madelyn, you may not like what you find. I haven’t told you this yet, but the man everyone knows as King Byron is an imposter,” Melanie said, her voice barely above a whisper.

“What do you…? Wait, that…actually makes sense,” I pondered. “Citrine said he’s been hurting her…I mean, that’s why I’m looking for him in the first place…Oh! I should go tell her!”

“Wait! This isn’t something you can just state out loud to people in the past like this!” Melanie exclaimed quietly.

“Oh…I guess not…Well, if that guy really isn’t the king, then who is he?”

“…I can’t tell you. One of those weird rules of time travel, you know?”

“Wait…did you hear that…?”

“I imagine that was the king; we should be quiet from here on if we intend to spy on him,” Melanie whispered. I nodded, and walked to where the voice came from.

“…So, that should take care of Lilliana…” the man pretending to be King Byron was talking to himself in his room. I had my ear pressed against a wooden door. “Butenmon and GrapLeomon have never failed to get the job done before. Kamemon wouldn’t stand a chance even if he Digivolves to his Champion level!” Behind me, Melanie gasped. “Now then…who should I send to deal with those at the coliseum? Most of their strongest members are there…”

The coliseum? Is that where everyone else wound up?

“…is already there, but he won’t be strong enough to defeat them, for sure. Perhaps Alphonse or Kieran…?” Byron’s imposter continued talking to himself, mumbling under his breath about something or other.
    “We have to go.” Melanie mouthed the words. I nodded, and followed the hooded sorceress down the hallway.

Gwappamon

“Digi-Modify! Matrix Digivolution Activate!” Lilliana slid a radiant blue card through her Digivice, and I began to glow with a similar sapphire gleam.

“Gwappamon Matrix Digivolve to, Shawjamon!” The light of Digivolution faded away; I looked down at my new form, and at the weapon I now held. “…This power…I’ve reached the Ultimate level! I never thought I’d see the day…Lilliana! Now! Go and get help!”

“…Please, be careful!” Lilliana called out, finally turning around to leave. “Now, then…you two. Ready to go at it?”

“…Two against one isn’t entirely my style…but if you insist, it shall be done!” Butenmon exclaimed.

“Lion Beast Wave Slash!”

“Crescent Moon Slash!” With a lot less effort than I thought would be necessary, I swung my staff to block GrapLeomon’s attack with ease. This, however, left my back wide open for Butenmon’s Dance of the Sun attack. Blood and tatters of my cape flew through the air, creating an opening for GrapLeomon to ram his fist into my gut. I fell to the ground, coughing up blood, and GrapLeomon kicked me in the side of the head. Butenmon picked up my staff, and placed the blade up against my neck.

“You just Digivolved to Ultimate for the first time; you expect to beat us, who have been training all of our lives?!” Butenmon yelled.

“Not to mention that we had an extra seven years here in the past!” GrapLeomon added.

“…Seven…? You’ve been here for seven years…?”

“GrapLeomon! There was no need to tell him that!” Butenmon snapped.

“C’mon; there’s no way he’ll be getting out of here alive!” GrapLeomon whined.

“It always pays to be cautious, my friend. Which is why I insist we kill him now instead of toying with him,” Butenmon replied. “Especially since you blabbed to him.” As the two Digimon stared at each other, I reached out and grabbed the blade of my weapon.

“Hydro Descent!” A raging surge of water erupted from the opposite end of my weapon, striking Butenmon directly in the face. The larger Digimon dropped my staff, and I cut through his helmet and face with the blade.

“Cyclonic Kick!”

“Whirlpool Formation!” A swirl of water burst from the ground around GrapLeomon, keeping him from advancing any closer. Another Hydro Descent knocking him flat on his back, unconscious.

“Dance of the Sun!” Butenmon’s gigantic sword tore through the front of my chest. “We’ve never once failed to eliminate a mark. That is why our lord values our service so dearly. Shawjamon, you undoubtedly were our first real challenge in countless years; a respectable warrior for one so newly Digivolved. But now…you will be the first to fall!”

“Samurai Tiger Tail!”

“Freezing Wave!” The attacks of the two Digimon struck Butenmon in the back; in an instant, he fell over, leaving his sword lodged in my back as he lay defeated.

“Jeez…Lilliana wasn’t kidding; you really did reach Ultimate,” Mihiramon muttered as he and Quetzalmon hurried to my side. “Not bad, old man.”

“Listen; turn back into Kamemon,” Quetzalmon said. “That’s the safest way to get that sword out of you, okay? You’ll still be hurt, but it won’t be a big gaping wound.” I slowly nodded, and focused my attention and energy within. I began to glow once more in the light of Digivolution, and turned back into Kamemon.
    “All right, little guy; just get up on my back and take it easy for now,” Mihiramon said. I nodded, but found myself incapable of moving, leaving it up to Quetzalmon to place me on the back of the Exalted Beast.

Flamedramon

“…Is this the place?” I asked.

“Gee, I don’t know; it’s the only coliseum in the entire town!” Abigail exclaimed. “Now, come on! Our little boy is in there!”

“Yeah, and all the others,” I muttered.

“Oh, right, yeah. Well, they can take care of themselves. Eddie still needs his mommy!”

“Right, and I’m a friendly little guy who uses ice attacks…”

“Don’t just stand there! Come ON!” Abigail tugged on my arm and dragged me into the coliseum. It was a surprisingly clean building; a few guards glared at us, but did not approach, thinking us to be spectators to their barbaric games.

“Where are they?” I hissed. Abigail shook her head. We approached two Human guards, but the two held out their weapons to keeps us from going through their guarded doorway and down the dark hallway.

“Let us through!” Abigail said through clenched teeth.

“Unless you wish to participate in the games, entry beyond this point is not allowed,” one of the guards said in a gruff voice.

“Oh, to hell with it!” My arm swung through the air; in an instant, the two guards were set ablaze and died within seconds.

“…Flamedramon…why did you do that?” Abigail asked breathlessly.

“Oh, like you weren’t about to shank them with that knife you keep hidden in your cleavage!” I retorted. Abigail remained silent as the two of us ran down the hallway until we found ourselves in another room.

“Abigail! Flamedramon!” Zelda’s gentle voice echoed through the room as soon as we entered.

“Jeez…how’d you all end up in here?” I asked, looking around the prison cells at our captured friends. “…Ph-Pheragas?! What are you doing here?!”

“That isn’t him, Father,” Edmund called out. “This man is the ancestor of the man we knew when I was born.”

“…Huh. You look just like him,” I said.

“Your friends ‘ave told dat to me many times,” Pheragas shrugged, speaking even in the same accent, the same mannerisms and everything as my old friend.

“…Where’s Melanie?” Abigail asked. “Eddie, darling, have you seen Melanie?”

“She was here just moments ago,” Edmund whispered.

“…She…vanished,” Isole said between raspy, weakened breaths.

“Isole, don’t speak; you need your rest,” Lucia said gently.

“Melanie…she…vanished…before I passed out,” Isole continued. “I think she…teleported…warped somewhere…I saw her glowing…She used her magic to warp herself somewhere else…”

“But…why would she—”

“HEY! What’re you doin’ here?!” An Ogremon sauntered over to me and Abigail. “You here teh participate er what?!”

“Actually, we’re here for our friends. It seems that you haven’t been taking very good care of them,” I said. Isole, Sparrow, and Sieglinde all lay unconscious in their own cots, covered in bloody bandages. “We’ll take them off your hands.”

“Wait! Flamedramon, don’t kill him!” Lucia shouted.

“Oh, like hell you’ll take ‘em from me!” Ogremon sneered. The green Champion Digimon raised his club and jumped at us, but Abigail pulled out her Digivice faster than the Ogremon could even blink.

“Bio Hybrid D.N.A. Charge! Bio Hybrid Digivolve to, BioLadyDevimon!”

“No, Abigail! Stop this!” Lucia screamed.

“Black Wing!” My wife’s arm turned to a large spear, which she deftly swung in the air before impaling Ogremon in the chest. The Digimon’s data dissolved and floated away before his blood could hit the floor beneath him.

“…Abigail…what have you done?”

“What? You wanted to kill him yourself, Lucia?” I asked.

“You IDIOTS! Do you have any idea what you’ve done?!” Lucia yelled. “Ogremon wasn’t supposed to die here like this! By killing him, you’ve changed the future we came from in ways none of us can comprehend!” Abigail reverted back to her Human form, and stared silently at Lucia.

“But…it was just one Digimon,” Abigail said quietly. “How can…one Digimon’s life make such a big difference…?”

“I’m afraid that isn’t how time operates,” Melanie said.

“M-Melanie! When the hell did you get back?!?” Lucia exclaimed. The cloaked woman had just suddenly apparated at her side. Melanie, of course, ignored her.

“By drastically altering the course of one person’s life in the past…you’ve altered the courses for every one of us in the future. That is why we have come here, remember? To prevent those evil Digimon from doing the same! But now that you’ve done this…we may not even be able to return home.”

Chapter 130 - The Invincible Kieran

Madelyn Reed

“…My father…is an imposter…?” Citrine whimpered.

“I really hate to tell this to you…But, as Madelyn has told me, the man masquerading as your father has been inflicting such horrible pain on you; perhaps this revelation makes the facts easier to believe?” Melanie asked.

“Y-Yes, I suppose that does make sense…But then, who is he? Who’s pretending to be my father?” Citrine asked. “…Where’s my daddy?”

“…I regret to inform you that the imposter has…killed your father,” Melanie said quietly.

“………I see…M-My daddy…is…no longer with us…No, I can’t worry about that right now. The one pretending to be him; who is he?”

“Melanie said—”

“It matters not who he is. The important thing is stopping him; he is a monster who came from the future with the goal of changing that very future. He needs to be stopped,” Melanie said.

“…Very well. I shall do everything in my power as the princess of Celicia Kingdom to aid you, my dear friends,” Citrine said, giving us a shy, sad smile. “Is there…anything I can do now to assist you? Should I warn EmperorGreymon? What about my mother? Should she—?”

“I would advise against sharing this information with others, for starters,” Melanie began. “At the same time, do your best to remain vigilant. If this information does get out, then…just stay safe, okay? However, there may be a time where you will need to rally the knights of your kingdom. For now, stay safe, Citrine.”

“…I will.” Melanie and I said our goodbyes to the princess, and left the royal palace of Celicia.

“…Melanie…you never did tell me how you found me,” I said. “And where are the others? Do you know?”

“Yes; we are heading for them as we speak. I found you by mere coincidence; I had come to keep watch on Byron, or rather, his imposter, when I found you doing the same thing. But, I do have to ask…what are you doing here? You shouldn’t be here; you should be with your parents and your new brother and sister.”

“…It’s a long story…but I don’t regret coming. Citrine is such a wonderful friend…”

“I won’t judge you, dear; but, I really think you should stay behind with Citrine. You’ll be safer that way,” Melanie said.

“I know…I never really was that good at making decisions on my own. I was a slave for most of my life, so I only know how to follow orders…”

“Don’t worry about it. Just stay close.”

“No!” Melanie and I both jumped at the new voice. Dominimon, holding Bokomon in his arms, alighted down to the ground in front of us. “Madelyn. You are in big trouble!” Dominimon shouted.

“I-I’m sorry,” I stuttered. “But, um…Mr. Ulysses knows that I’m here, and—”

“You be quiet!” Bokomon snapped. “Do you have any idea how worried your parents are about you, young lady?! Honestly, how could you leave them like this, so soon after your mother just gave birth to your new siblings?!”

“I didn’t think they’d notice,” was all I said, looking away from the two angry Digimon. The three of us remained silent, staring across the distance of no more than fifteen feet at each other.

“…Melodrama bores me.” This new voice, unknown to me, sent chills plummeting down my spine. A large man with deep crimson hair walked up to our group of four. A scar ran over and obscured his right eye. In his hand was a large and deadly-looking sword, and strapped to his back was an immense battle axe.

“And who are you?!” Dominimon asked. “We’re in the middle of something right now, so—”

“SILENCE!” the man interrupted. “I didn’t say you could talk.” He looked at each one of us with what looked to be disapproval in his remaining eye. “…Women, Rookie levels, and Angel Digimon. Is that all Lachesis is composed of? My lord promised me a bountiful harvest of souls.”

“…You came from the future as well,” Dominimon stated. The man nodded.

“My name is Kieran. I am here at the behest of my master…to eliminate your mercenary guild. But if this is all Lachesis has to offer, then my job will be a short one.”

“Don’t count on it!” Dominimon drew the sabre attached to his wrist, and swung it hard at Kieran’s head, but missed by the slightest margin. I blinked, and saw that Kieran had actually drawn his axe without my notice to block Dominimon’s attack.

“Hm. It seems you have some skill after all,” Kieran said quietly. “But as I said…you are only an Angel Digimon. Not suited for combat, unless your foe is a Demon Lord.”

“Make no mistake. I always win when I’m fighting for my friends!” Dominimon swung again, but Kieran held his axe up at just the right angle to protect himself. The man then raised his own sword and jabbed it at Dominimon’s side. Three golden, blood-stained feathers spiraled away in the wind. Dominimon faltered in his battle stance and backed away from Kieran. “Final Excalibur!” The Angel’s sword glowed in a radiant light as he held it skyward, but Kieran swung his mighty axe through the air before Dominimon could act. A giant gash formed on his chest, and blood seeped out, staining his pure gold feathers.

“…As I said. Angels are weak. They are strong only to one variety of Digimon…how pathetic. Your mercenary guild will fall in defeat like a ripe plum…”

“You’re wrong…You won’t win…You won’t!”

“Dominimon, don’t get back up!” Bokomon exclaimed. The small Rookie pulled a large book out from his pink belt.

“Bokomon, watch out!” I yelled. The little Digimon was wildly turning pages in his book, and didn’t notice Kieran slowly approaching him. “BOKOMON!” My yelling was in vain. Kieran swung his sword once again. Bokomon’s book split clean in half; its pages flew off with the wind while its covers hit the ground with its unconscious owner. “No…no…this is bad…”

“Calm yourself, maiden. I don’t fight unarmed women. Had you a weapon, you’d share the same fate,” Kieran said. “And you, mage…my blood boils over at the thought of fighting you. But at the same time…I sense an overwhelming power from within you. I could easily be destroyed in doing so…”

“…Very wise, warrior. I will not chase you down myself…and I’m sure you know why,” Melanie said.

“Indeed. Time travel is indeed a very complicated business,” Kieran nodded.

“Yes…but make no mistake. If you do something you know you shouldn’t…I’ll destroy you in a heartbeat.”

“Yes…Why do you think I spared your weak Digimon comrades?” Kieran turned away. “…I am the strongest Human working for my master. The Digimon that serve him…are all more powerful than I could ever hope to be. Keep that in mind, my dear…”

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast