With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Lost Chronicles II: One World

Junior Commander IamTheSovereign's Avatar

Chapter 101 - Dancing Mad

Widow

“…So, in conclusion, I was able to sap the power of two Champion level Digimon; Allomon and Lekismon,” Dayan said to me. He spoke in a more steady voice than he did when I had first created him; his eyes looked less dull and lifeless than they did, and he seemed more confident in himself.

“Well, I’m glad to hear that, Dayan,” I smiled. “But, you weren’t able to defeat them?”

“No, Milady. I sought only to steal their power from them first, so it would be easier to defeat them later,” Dayan said.

“I see…Well, that certainly was clever of you, my dear creation,” I said.

“What’s clever about it? You should simply have eradicated them,” Aegolius muttered.

“Oh, don’t be like that; my clever little boy is now able to think on his own without his mommy telling him what to do,” I whispered gently, still looking at Dayan. “…But you aren’t entirely wrong, Prince. It would be best if we could have them all dealt with as soon as possible.”

“…I apologize that I have let you down,” Dayan said.

“Oh, you didn’t do that, sweetie! Really, you didn’t!” I said, giving Dayan a smile. “…They’re traveling in a group, right?” Dayan nodded. “…Very well. I’d say it’s my turn to go and fight them.”

“Why don’t we all just go out and fight them at once?” Aegolius said.

“Remember that old saying: Fools rush in where angels fear to tread,” I said.

“We’re no angels,” Crush said. “Does that make us fools, then?”

“Oh, hush, you know what I mean. I’m going to go fight them. Alone.”

“Wait!” I looked over my shoulder, and saw Rosemon approach me. “Giselle is with them, isn’t she? Let me go with you.”

“And why should I do that; so you can turn traitor on us at the last minute and go back to your old partner?” I asked.

“Don’t be absurd; Giselle betrayed me to keep her own selfish ass out of trouble!” Rosemon snapped. “I want to be the one to kill her!”

“…Very well then; I will spare the one known as Giselle, and bring her back to you. Do you find this to be acceptable?”
    “Very. I long to see the look on her face as the life fades from her eyes!” Rosemon said, grinning madly.

Sparrow Lea

“Well, do you know which way he went?” Eleanora asked. I looked around the extravagant room; not counting the doorway we had entered through, there were at least six other exits, all lining the walls. When Dayan attacked us with Allomon’s flame attack, it was impossible to tell which way he had gone.

“It might be best to avoid him for now, Ellie,” Lunamon said. “He was able to steal mine and Hawkmon’s power, and he even knocked Celtinemon unconscious; I doubt we’ll be able to defeat him with just the six of us…”

“…Maybe not…but…I swore I would not leave until I found Matthew, or at least until I found out where he was,” Eleanora said. “And if that means fighting Dayan, then so be it!”

“Well…if you feel that strongly about it, El, then I’ll stay with you,” Sparrow said. “I won’t let that man hurt you; I promise.”

“Are you flirting with her again?” Giselle asked. My face instantly reddened.

“N-NO! I’m not flirting with her AGAIN!” I yelled.

“Yes, but of course; when has it ever stopped?” Hawkmon asked.

“Damnit, Hawkmon!” Giselle and the two Rookie Digimon laughed, and I turned away. I glanced over at Eleanora, who looked as though she weren’t paying attention. I could tell, though, that her cheeks had grown rather pink since the conversation began.

“Would you mind telling me what’s so funny? It’s been a while since I’ve laughed like you all have.” At once, Giselle and the two Digimon stopped laughing; I turned around just in time to see a beautiful woman walking into the room.

“W-Who are you?” Giselle asked.

“…Is your name Widow, by any chance?” Lunamon asked.

“You’re half-right, little one; Widow is my codename,” the woman said. “My real name is…oops! Almost forgot; I’m not supposed to tell you unless we share a close bond!”

“So, you’re the one who created Dayan?” I asked.

“Yes, that was me,” Widow replied. “How did you find him? Pretty strong, right? And very handsome…”

“Hmm…well, he definitely wasn’t bad looking,” Giselle mused.

“Giselle!”

“What? I was just agreeing with her…”

“Well, whatever; just to make sure, you lot are from Lachesis, right?” Widow asked.

“Yes; we are from the Mercenary Guild known as Lachesis,” I said. “I presume that’s why you and the other flunkies have been badgering us?”

“Flunkies…How arrogant. All of us are equals; we may not refer to our leader as such, but at the end of the day, we are all equals,” Widow said. “Which is more than I can say for you lot; disobeying the words of your ‘master’ to come here searching for one of your own? That doesn’t sound like much of an organization to me.”

“Shut up, you—” I ran towards the woman, brandishing my axe; Widow held out her arm in front of her, and suddenly, I found myself unable to move. “W-What…the hell…?!”

“Don’t underestimate me; I’m no mere woman,” Widow said. “…I’m a woman with a great passion for spiders. I love spiders; everything about them! I love their eight little hairy legs; the way they feel when they skitter all across my naked body! I love consuming them live, and the feeling their legs make when they skitter down my throat and all around my belly, only to come out my—”

“O-kay, you can stop talking now!” Eleanora interrupted with a grimace.

“That doesn’t explain what you did to me to stop me from moving!” I shouted.

“Oh, calm down, handsome; I was getting to it,” Widow said, winking at me. “Now, then; since I am so enamored with spiders, I injected the blood and data of a Dokugumon into my veins; not enough to turn me into a Bio Hybrid or curse me with that ugly Mark, mind you. I am currently 80% Human. But, the other 20% of me is Digimon; I have the abilities of the Dokugumon whose data is now inside of me. For example…I am now able to shoot invisible threads from the tips of my fingers! Threads so strong, you can’t move; you can’t break free! But the best part is…you are now able to bend to my will entirely! Now, dance, my little puppet; DANCE!”

“N-No…you aren’t…strong enough…to control me!”

“Wanna bet?” Widow asked. The bizarre woman held out both hands in front of her, and began wiggling her fingers like a puppeteer; I tried hard to resist, as hard as I could, but true to her word, Widow had complete and total control of my body. With a laugh, Widow forced me to swing my axe through the air, right at Giselle and Eleanora — though, to my relief, both girls were able to move out of the way quickly enough. “Now, then; how’s that for irony? The symbol on your axe means ‘Kindness’; and yet, here you are, trying to murder your friends!” Widow giggled.

“No…you…you’re wrong!” I grunted, trying once again to stop my body from moving. “This symbol…it means strength!” With great effort, I loosened my fingers, and dropped my axe to the floor and kicked it away. “Eleanora! Cut through the threads! Quick!”

“I’m way ahead of you, pal!” Eleanora was instantly in front of me, but Widow began to move my arms again, and I reached out and grabbed Eleanora by the throat.

“No! STOP IT!” I screamed. “Stop…don’t make me hurt her…”

“Too late!” Widow smirked. Again, I attempted to resist, but my fingers only tightened around Eleanora’s neck. She was now gasping for breath, completely unable to speak, and dangling in the air.

“STOP IT! WIDOW! I’LL DO WHATEVER YOU WANT…JUST STOP HURTING HER!” I screamed.

“…You know…normally, I would take you up on that offer…but, dear Sparrow, I’m afraid I’ve somewhat of a penchant for bringing agony to other people!” Widow said. “Clearly, you care deeply about this girl — perhaps you fancy her? Seeing you hurt her makes me so happy…Now, snap that Marked cunt’s neck in half; I command you!” Eleanora’s eyes suddenly opened, and she rammed her knee deep into my groin, making me drop her.

“G-Gotcha covered, big guy!” Eleanora wheezed. In an instant, she drew her sword, and sliced through all of the threads that Widow had placed on me.

“…Damn it! You were just trying to get close enough,” Widow said through clenched teeth. She raised an arm once again, but then clenched her fist. “…No. I’ve had my turn. And I wasn’t strong enough…I will leave you be for now.”

“You’re not going any—” I ran for the woman, but in a heartbeat, she had vanished. “…Damn her! Damn her…How did she escape like that…?!”

“Sparrow…I’m okay,” Eleanora panted.

“Well, I’m not. She made me hurt you…I’ll never get over that.”

“It’s okay…I know it wasn’t your fault,” Eleanora said, placing her hand on my arm. “…But…Widow was right about one thing.”

“What?”

“That symbol on your axe? It really does mean kindness,” Eleanora said.

“What?! No, it means strength!” I stammered. “…Doesn’t it…?”

“Fraid not; I’ve seen that symbol before; it is the Crest of Kindness.
    “DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!” The room filled with the laughter of my friends.

Widow

“Oooh….OOOH! Those damn KIDS!” I screamed, pacing back and forth in the room. “How dare they break free from my thread control?! They make me so mad!!!!”

“Simmer down,” Aegolius muttered. “Look, we all hate them, okay? No need to get your panties in a twist about it.”

“Don’t worry about it, Rosie; we’ll get them,” Crush added.

“…Hmm…I’m going to go find GranDokugumon; maybe she can defeat them,” I said to myself, only partially paying attention to the conversation with my allies.
    “What, you mean that weak little Mega that couldn’t even get past one Human?” Aegolius asked. “Don’t make me laugh…” I ignored the prince, however, and left the room. I walked down a flight of stairs, calling out for my precious GranDokugumon. I finally found her hunkered in the top corner of the room where the wall and ceiling joined.

“GranDokugumon? It’s okay, honey; you can come down,” I whispered gently. “That scary man isn’t going to hurt you anymore, I promise.” Wearily looking around the room, GranDokugumon skittered down the wall, and over to me. “That’s a good girl…”

“…You can be very motherly at times…Rosie.” The sudden voice made me jump, and GranDokugumon attempted to hide behind me when Dayan walked into the room.

“Oh…hello, Dayan. How are you feeling?” I asked. “…Wait…you just used me real name. How did you know it? I never told you…” Dayan smirked, and walked up to me.

“Rosie…a question then, for you. When you created me…you did not add in a heart, a metaphorical heart…did you not?” Dayan asked.

“…No, I didn’t. You don’t have any emotions,” I said. “…You shouldn’t…”

“Then why, pray tell…do I have them regardless, I wonder?

“I-I don’t know,” I stammered. “M-Maybe…because of your ability?”

“Rosie…you should know that your own creativity can be cruel, even to you, my dear,” Dayan said. “You have succeeded in bringing to life a monster…many, many monsters; yourself included, naturally.”

“Dayan, what do you want from me?” I asked, starting to feel scared.

“I told you…I want to know why I am feeling emotions. You gave me a frightened guess, but that won’t do. I want to know why I enjoy killing other people…I have not even done so yet, but it is something I crave! Why is that, Rosie?!”

“I…I…Oh!” I gasped. “While I was making you…in order to make you into a Human, I injected some of my own blood into you…That’s why…”

“…So, that explains it, I guess…”

“Dayan…?”

“In that case…I would like to thank you for this gift of life…and the curse of emotions…by eliminating your existence,” Dayan said.

“No…you can’t be serious…” Dayan began walking towards me; inadvertently, I walked back into the cowering GranDokugumon. Dayan, however, walked past me, and placed a hand on GranDokugumon’s trembling head.

“Poor, pitiful creature… You are just like me; forcibly brought into existence by this madwoman. But now, you can be somebody, instead of just being a laboratory test subject. You’re lucky, GranDokugumon…you’re off the hook.”

“Dayan! What are you going to do to her?!” I screamed.

“I said I’m thanking you, didn’t I? Well, here is my gift to you.” Dayan’s hands instantly began to glow, and GranDokugumon began to shriek wildly.

“DAYAN! STOP IT!”

“Relax; I’m not killing her. I think you would call it compassion…or perhaps empathy,” Dayan said. GranDokugumon’s legs were flailing madly in the air; I had to back away to avoid being skewered. Finally, it was all over with; GranDokugumon collapsed to the ground, breathing heavily. “I stole some of her power for my own use…but for the most part…I removed her sense of self…exactly like you did to me…or tried to. You knew I would have emotions when I came to life…so you used my own powers of absorption to remove them. You, Rosie…are pitiful.”

“No…No! Dayan!” GranDokugumon stood up, and looked over at me. Her eyes were now fixed in a ravenous glare, and began walking towards me. “Dayan…”
    “Don’t worry, Rosie,” Dayan smiled, turning his back to me. “I hear being devoured alive is actually quite an adventure in itself.”

“DAYAN!”

“Well, do have fun with that,” Dayan said, walking away. “Oh, and GranDokugumon…bon appetite.” Dayan slammed the door behind him as he left, leaving me alone with GranDokugumon.

“…You…do you…know who I am…?” I asked, my voice just barely above a whisper. GranDokugumon roared, and pounced on me. “NO! GranDokugumon, stop it! PLEASE!” The last thing I could remember was the sharp fangs of my created Digimon sinking deep into my neck before it tore my head off entirely.
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 102 - Loyality

Aegolius Valencia

“…Hey. It’s been a while since Rosie…I mean, Widow, left,” Crush said. “Do you think she…?”

“You heard all that screaming; it’s obvious what happened to her,” I replied, giving my friend a detached glance. “Widow is no more.”

“…Yeah…I…guess so,” Crush said in a hoarse whisper.

“The real problem is this; what are we to do now?” I asked. “Widow…she may have been eccentric, but she was a top-notch strategist. What should our next move be…? The ones from Lachesis? Or Geitz?”

“And then there is Dayan; I’ve got a hunch he was behind whatever happened to Rosie,” Crush said.

“I still don’t understand why we cannot simply attack them all at once,” Rosemon snapped. “Giselle is with them; they’d waste too much of their energy trying to protect that worthless slut to actually fight us!”

“…That may be,” Dagger said. His voice startled me; this was only the second time I had ever heard him speak up. “But, it would not do to underestimate them. They’re strong.”

“Not at the moment! Lunamon can’t Digivolve past Ultimate, so she and Celtinemon are the only real threats! If she were able to become Dianamon, then we’d have a problem; but as she is now–!”

“We’ll wait here,” I said. “Widow was right…we cannot all just rush in without thinking…we need a plan.”

“…Fine,” Rosemon huffed. The Mega Digimon turned away and left the room, leaving me with Crush and Dagger.

“…Hey, Crush…what’s your…real name?” I asked.

“.The mercenaries from my guild are assigned codenames in order to help them with their missions. They do not reveal their true names to anyone who has not gained their trust.”

“…I see…”

“…It’s Charles.”

“What?”

“My name. It’s Charles.” I stared at Crush for a moment, and then smiled.

“Thank you, Charles. For everything that you’ve helped me to accomplish.”

“No, no…it’s the least I could do for you,” Charles replied. “…And to show my appreciation, I want to do more than give you my name. I will defeat your enemies, Aegolius.”

“Charles…”

“I’m going after Geitz. He’s just a Human…so I should be fine. And that will be one less problem for you to deal with,” the large man replied. I was truly touched by the words of the only person I could consider a friend.
    “Just come back,” I said. “Just come back alive, Crush. That’s an order.” Crush was soon out of sight, leaving me alone. Alone, that is, until I remembered that Dagger was still silently standing in the corner of the room.

“Charles gave you his real name. I will give you mine,” Dagger said. “My name…is Cole. Cole Wyatt.”

“…Very well then. Cole…will you go and fight those from Lachesis?” I asked.

“I will. I will put my life on the line…Either they die…or I shall. There will be no alternative,” the cloaked man said, vanishing into the shadows.

Geitz Felgrande

Two more large flights of stairs have been passed since my encounter with Dayan, with each flight containing more than one-hundred stairs, undoubtedly. Near the top of my now third flight of stairs traversed, I stopped to catch my breath. I had dropped the spear I had found, as it had been broken and rendered useless to me. Now, I was without a weapon, and clueless as to whatever it was that Baez wanted me to do.

“…Well, it’s not like I’ve got anything better to do,” I smirked to myself. I finished my trek up this third flight of stairs, and came face-to-face with another man. He was a large man, and carried a war-hammer in his right hand.

“Hey; Geitz, right?” the man asked. I remained silent, staring at the man and wondering what he would do. Was he a friend? A foe? “The name’s Crush; well, my codename is, anyway.”

“What is it you want from me?” I asked. Crush, being shorter than me, looked up and grinned.

“What do I want…? Your life, Felgrande!” the man exclaimed. “You were chosen by ShadowSeraphimon to make a connection between Arcadia and the Dark Area; you’ve served your purpose, so now your death is imminent!”

“H-Hold on! Why is this ShadowSeraphimon doing…whatever it is he’s doing?!” I asked. Crush shrugged his massive shoulders.

“Beats me; I haven’t got a clue what the old codger’s thinking. I don’t even see why we have to kill you…when you could just as easily join us,” Crush said. “…But…orders are orders, and so, eliminate you I must!” The man gripped his massive hammer tightly, and swung it at my head with enough force, I was sure, to knock my head clean off.

Damn; that spear just had to break, didn’t it?! As Crush continued to attack me, I wildly looked around the room for a weapon — anything I could use to protect myself from this giant prick. But alas, there was nothing. My only advantage was that Crush’s swings weren’t very fast; the rest of him, however, was. Crush swung again, just barely missing my shoulder. His attack left him wide open; I took the opportunity to punch the large man in the face, but this only gave him enough time to strike me away with his hammer.

“C’mon; I know you can do better than that, Felgrande!” Crush taunted. Somewhat dazed, I used the fall to slide back on to my feet; Crush’s attack had rendered my left arm unusable, likely broken or locked, at least for now. Seeing the condition I was in, Crush then flung his hammer at me, striking me directly in the chest. I could hear my ribs shatter, and I coughed up a few spurts of blood. I ignored the pain I was in, and grabbed on tight to Crush’s weapon before he could get to it.

“…How’s this…for better?!” It was now my turn to attack; I swung the hammer as hard and as fast as I could at Crush’s head, but he held up a single hand, and blocked my attack entirely. Catching me off guard, Crush seized his hammer back and swung it at me with enough force to send me crashing into the ceiling, before falling back down to the floor. I was close to fading away and losing consciousness, but I could feel Crush press his boot on the back of my throbbing head.

“Heh; not as much trouble as I thought you’d be,” Crush said. That was when the darkness surrounded me once more. But, I wasn’t unconscious; I knew that. I was still in pain, so I knew I hadn’t died again. But then, what DID happen to me? I opened my eyes to see myself standing up once more; Crush had backed away from me with a look of fear on his face. Confused, I looked down at myself, and gasped.

I…I’m him again…Duskmon! I looked back to Crush, and smiled. “…You’re finished!” I ran through the man with my two swords. Crush dropped his hammer to the floor with a mighty thud that shook the entire room as I slammed him into the wall. Blood came flying out in every direction, a lot on me, and some on the floor. I retracted my swords at once, and watched Crush fall to the floor.

“…Aegolius…f-for…give me…I…wasn’t…able to keep…my promise,” he gurgled. And then, he lay lifeless. And I was proud. Proud of the murder that I had committed.
    "Evil can confuse you when you're staring at it straight in the face. You can hope the face of evil will change, but it won't unless you force it to change."

If you enjoy(ed) my story, check this out! It's the various Digimon I've created for the entire series: ---> https://withthewill.net/threads/1844...906#post325906

Chapter 103 - Angels Dancing in Darkness

Eleanora Kasuto

“Sparrow…are you feeling okay?” I asked. The crimson-haired man had remained silent ever since out encounter with Widow; he was angry with himself for being forced to hurt his friends, and saddened that he almost had. It made me feel bad to see this normally cheerful man so sullen; I didn’t know what I could do to make him feel better. He sat with his back up against a wall for about five minutes; the look on his face was grim, but also like he was concentrating hard on some thought.

“Sparrow, we really should get going,” Hawkmon said quietly. Sparrow responded with silence. “…They weren’t hurt, you know. You don’t need to beat yourself up about this, Sparrow…”

“…No. I wasn’t thinking about that…I was just thinking…about this entire situation as a whole,” Sparrow finally said.

“What do you mean?” I asked gently.

“Well…I was talking to Zelda the other day about things that happened five-hundred years ago, you know?” Sparrow asked. “And it got me to thinking…what if what’s going on now is somehow connected to all the stuff that happened back then?”

“Sparrow, Auntie Zelda’s already told us that Lilithmon was killed long ago; she’d have been purified and turned back into Ophanimon,” I replied. “Cherubimon would also be clean of the darkness as well…”

“Right, I know…but what about the third angel?”

“You mean…Seraphimon? What about him?” Lunamon asked.

“You’re not thinking he’s involved in this some way, are you?” I asked, giving Sparrow a skeptical glance.

“Well, think about it; think about how Seraphimon must’ve felt when his two closest friends fell into the darkness the way they did. Think about how hard it must have been to form that group to stop not only that Order of the Enchantress, but his two friends…Think about how terrible he must’ve felt, watching Lilithmon die not once but twice, when he was probably working on a way to save her all those years; but, never got a chance to do so…”

“Where are you going with this?” Celtinemon asked.

“All that negativity that Seraphimon felt…all of that grief, and sorrow; what if it all manifested, and consumed him?” Sparrow asked. “What if…Seraphimon was plunged into darkness the way Ophanimon and Cherubimon were?” I was stunned silent.

“…Sparrow…”

“Look, I wouldn’t be even talking about this if I weren’t positive I was right, okay? I’m not just guessing in the dark here; it’s been something I’ve been mulling over for a long time now,” Sparrow said. “I just can’t believe…that Seraphimon wouldn’t be involved in this somehow, thinking about how horrible he must’ve felt…”

“Sparrow, you can’t just assume that when a Digimon is grieving, that he or she will automatically turn evil and succumb to the darkness in their heart,” Hawkmon said sadly.

“…Then where is he?” Sparrow asked.

“What…?”

“If Seraphimon really isn’t evil…then where is he? He’s practically a member of Lachesis; why isn’t he here now, helping us fight off the evil that is, for all we know, right in front of us? Angel Digimon are able to sense these kinds of things, and I know Seraphimon would be here helping us…if he is who he was five-hundred years ago,” Sparrow concluded. “…With that said…I think something happened to him. He succumbed to the darkness in his heart, like Ophanimon did when she became Lilithmon.”

…I…I’ve never heard Sparrow make this much sense before, I pondered. Maybe…could he be right…? It really does make sense, now that I think about it…Oh, Sparrow…

“Sparrow…I think you may be looking too deeply into this,” Hawkmon said. “At the very least, you should discuss this with Mercurymon or Wisemon before you come to such a decision.” Sparrow sighed, and stood up.

“…So…I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you don’t believe me.”

“Sparrow, that’s not what I—”

“No, no, I get it; ol’ Sparrow can’t ever be right about anything. Just act like a retard and hit on every girl in Lachesis like a good little moron, is that right?!”

“Sparrow!”

“Just…let it go, Hawkmon.” Sparrow turned away, and left the room. Hawkmon sighed, looking guiltily down at the floor.

“…Hawkmon…you should have more faith in your partner,” I said.

“Wait; so…you believe all that stuff he was saying about Seraphimon?” Giselle asked.

“…I do,” I said. “And if you guys don’t believe him…then just go on home back to the fort.” Without another word, I ran out of the room after Sparrow. “Sparrow! Hey, Sparrow, wait—” Before I could finish my sentence, a hand clasped itself over my mouth, and pulled me aside.

“Remain silent if you desire to live,” the man codenamed Dagger whispered into my ear, pressing a knife against my throat. “…Not that it will do you any good. I will simply kill you once I obtain my required knowledge…” Struggling against Dagger’s grasp, I shook my head; Dagger in turn leaned against me and pushed me down to the floor. “Don’t be foolish, maiden of swords. Struggling in such a way…will only result in further injuries.”

Further…? What does he…And then I felt it. Dagger had placed his knife on the corner of my neck and my shoulder, and cut slowly across my skin when I wasn’t looking. At first, the blood began to seep out slow, but then quickly sped up.

“Now tell me, maiden; tell me where I can find the fortress of your guild,” Dagger whispered. “My mission…put simply, it is to eradicate you. But, you and your five friends will be but a meager appetizer for the upcoming feast of blood that will soon commence. Tell me…and I will tell you where your brother is. Refuse, and I will kill him slowly and painfully.” My heart twisted in agony at the two dreadful choices given to me. And yet, what choice did I have?

“…Okay. Our fortress…it…”

“…Yes…? Do go on, maiden.” I parted my lips to continue speaking, but clenched my teeth. “…I will give you thirty seconds to answer. If you do not, your life will be forfeit, as will be that of your brother.”

…No…I can’t tell him…can I…? Matthew…he’ll die if I don’t tell Dagger what he wants to know…but if I do tell him, everyone else will…no…NO!!!

“…Five seconds remaining, maiden,” Dagger said. “…Four…three…one…”

“W-Wait!” I said. “Our…f-fortress…it…”

“…Yes…?” I clenched my fists as tight as I could. I grew lightheaded from the blood loss, but still, I continued to speak.

“Our fortress…is on the border of—”

“Ellie, DUCK!!!!!” I looked up just in time to move out of the way of a thrown axe; the weapon found itself lodged in Dagger’s left arm, enabling me to escape. “Eleanora! Ellie, are you okay?!”

“S-Sparrow…Thank you for stopping me,” I whispered.

“Stopping…you? Never mind; let’s just stop this hooded freak!” Sparrow said.

“Oh, by all means, TRY!” Dagger shouted, pulling the axe from his arm. Running at a speed I’d thought to be inhuman, Dagger began attacking both me and Sparrow with his knife; they were all just glancing blows, but with Dagger’s speed, they began to take their toll on us both, and I was already weakened by his earlier cut into my neck. “PERISH, FLAWED ONES!”

“Feather Strike!” A single feather whizzed past my head and struck Dagger’s hand, making him drop his knife. Hawkmon flew into the room, followed by Giselle and Celtinemon. “Do not fear; the Hawk is here!”

“Sparrow! Ellie! Are you both okay?!” Giselle asked. I smiled at the girl, and nodded slowly.

“No…No! I can’t…My mission…I can’t allow my mission to be halted…by the likes of you! I won’t allow it!” Dagger screamed.

“Too bad; we aren’t giving you a choice!” Celtinemon yelled. “Shooting Star Sword!” Celtinemon held out her blade; a single magic circle formed around its tip, which fired a pure white beam of energy directly at Dagger. The hooded man fell to the floor, still and lifeless; his black coat was burned and singed, and parts of it were still smoking from Celtinemon’s attack. His hood had fallen back to reveal his face; contorted in agonizing pain, it was a gruesome sight to behold. His hair was a dull dark blue, and rather short; his eyes were a rusty shade of brown.

“…Thank you, El—” Before he could finish his sentence, I threw my arms around Sparrow’s shoulders and hugged him tightly.

“…Thank you…thank you…for stopping me,” I said over and over. “…He told me…that he’d hurt Matthew…if I didn’t…sniff…tell him…what he wanted…”
    “Matthew’s here?!” Sparrow exclaimed.

“…I…don’t know…he…may have been bluffing,” I whispered quietly so that only Sparrow could hear me. “…I almost told him…where our fortress was…that was when you came in…and stopped me. Sparrow…”

“No…don’t worry about it…You just didn’t want that creep to hurt your bro, after all,” Sparrow replied. “Even if he wasn’t telling the truth, it’s okay…Nobody’s going to get mad at you, or would have gotten mad at you, if you had told him where we are. Okay?” I nodded slowly, and buried my face into Sparrow’s muscular chest, sobbing once again.

Chapter 104 - Gateway to Ruin

Aegolius Valencia

“…Crush is gone as well,” I whispered to myself. “…Damn it all…”

“I’ve had it, prince!” Rosemon snapped. “I don’t care what you say; I’m going out there! And if you’ve got any spine, you will too!”

“…Our master asked us to await the arrival of those from Lachesis; but in the process, we’ve lost three of our five,” I said. “And we don’t even know where Dayan and GranDokugumon are…”

“Widow, Dagger, Crush…they were all weak. If they couldn’t defeat them, then that simply means they weren’t worthy of serving him,” Rosemon replied. “Aegolius. You go after Geitz; I don’t want any interference from you while I’m hunting down that wench Giselle!”

“I wouldn’t dare dream of it,” I replied, smiling at the Mega Digimon. “…We may never meet again, Rosemon…and I’d be fine with that, if I may be honest with you. But at the same time…it has been an honor working with you the short amount of time you’ve been with us.”

“My sentiments exactly, Prince Aegolius,” Rosemon said in a much calmer voice. “I’ve never really thanked you, when you found me up in the mountains and took me in; this victory against Lachesis will be my thanks.”

“Yeah, you’ll be thanking us, but we’ll owe you after that!” I smirked. “Just don’t screw up…okay?”
    “I won’t. I refuse to die until I’ve seen Giselle suffer for what she did to me,” Rosemon said.

Giselle Alberona

Once Eleanora’s and Sparrow’s injuries had been all bandaged up, we finally left the room where Dagger had been killed, doing our best to ignore the presence of his corpse. I wondered just how long we had been at the fortress; it was definitely less than a day. Maybe three hours? I had no way of knowing for certain. And so, I continued on, following after Celtinemon as our small group walked up another flight of stairs.

“I think we’re almost at the roof of the castle, Sparrow said.

“We’ve been walking for a long time; I’m surprised we aren’t on the other side of the world by now,” Eleanora mused.

“How are you holding up, Giselle?” Celtinemon asked.

“I’m fine…but…I’m getting…kinda tired…from all this walking,” I whispered.

“We can take a short break once we reach the next room if you’d like,” Hawkmon suggested.

“Yeah…that’d be nice…”

“So, I see you’re still as lazy as ever, Giselle.” The voice that spoke nearly made my heart leap out of my chest. “Lazy, selfish, inconsiderate…I could go on if you’d like!”

That voice…no…it…can’t be! Forgetting the weariness in my legs, I raced to the top of the stairs ahead of the others, and came face-to-face with the one Digimon I thought I’d never see again. “…Rosemon…”

“Oh, so you actually do remember me; I’m so flattered!” Rosemon snapped.

“…Rosemon…I’m…I’m so—”

“Oh, save your worthless apologies; they won’t do you any good!” Rosemon yelled. My eyes began to fill with tears the angrier Rosemon grew. “And you even had the nerve to replace me after I’d left, too…You will be the last one I kill, Giselle! I want to see your face as your friends die, one after another! And then, I will attack you, over and over again, until you die a slow and painful, agonizing death!!!”

“Rose…mon…”

“We won’t let that happen!” Sparrow exclaimed.

“For your information, Giselle has suffered more than you might think after you left her!” Eleanora added.

“Geez, I can’t imagine how such a bitch could ever be your partner, Giselle,” Celtinemon said.

“…You’re finished…all of you…will finally PERISH! RIGHT HERE, BY MY HANDS!” Rosemon screamed.

“Digi Armor Energize!”

“Hawkmon Armor Digivolve to, Allomon, the Fangs of Courage!”

“Lunamon Warp Digivolve to, Crescemon!”

“Forbidden…Temptation!” Rosemon held out her arms, and fired a powerful blast of reddish-pink energy; Allomon and Crescemon tried their best to block with their own attacks, but they just weren’t strong enough. Rosemon’s attack tore through, and overwhelmed the two Digimon in an instant, making them both turn back into their Rookie forms. “Rose Spear!”

“Faerie Divider!” Rosemon readied an attack at the two fallen Rookies, but Celtinemon held out her sword to protect them just in time. “Hey! Attacking defenseless Digimon; like, that just isn’t right!”

“…Oh…? Well then…I’ll just attack you, then! Thorn Whipping!” Rosemon began savagely hitting Celtinemon over and over with her vines; each strike left a thin cut that began to bleed out all over Celtinemon’s skin. Her wings began losing bloody-white feathers that fell softly to the floor; her arms, legs, and face had a large amount of cuts, and on her belly was a large gash. Her clothes and boots were torn here and there from Rosemon’s attack.

“…No…Just stop it, Rosemon!” I screamed. “I’m the one you want to hurt, right…? Please, just…stop hurting my friends, and you can do whatever you want to me…”

“But what would that prove, you naïve little cunt?!” Rosemon asked. “I don’t want you to just suffer the physical punishment that Ulysses and Talosmon gave to me; I want you to feel the emotional decay that I felt! Rose Spear!” Rosemon’s attack struck Celtinemon in the chest, sending her falling to the ground.

“Celtinemon! NO!!!” I started to run over to my fallen partner, when one of Rosemon’s vines wrapped around my arms and waist. I was hoisted up into the air and pinned against the wall close to the ceiling. I struggled as hard as I could, ignoring the sharp pain of thorns digging into my arms and belly, and continued calling out to Celtinemon.

“Yes, keep calling out to your friend; call out to the witch all you like, but she will be the first to die!” Rosemon yelled, pointing the tip of her whip directly at Celtinemon’s neck.

“NO!!! STOP!!!” I struggled once again, and my Digivice fell out of my pocket, landing on the floor next to Celtinemon. Rosemon glanced at it, and slammed her foot onto it. At once, it emitted a bright light that shown across the entire room. The vines that tied me to the wall vanished into that light, and I fell to the floor.

“Giselle…you whore…what have you done?!” Rosemon screamed. I looked up, and saw Rosemon, Eleanora, and Sparrow covering their eyes; Celtinemon, Hawkmon, and Lunamon remained unconscious. And yet, I was able to see clearly; the light — at least to me — wasn’t bright in the slightest.

…Now’s my chance! I raced over to Rosemon, and kicked her in the shin; she lifted her leg long enough for me to grab my Digivice. “This light…it’s the same one that shines whenever Rosemon…Okay. Celtinemon! Let’s do it!” My Digimon partner opened her lovely blue eyes, and stood up, nodding and smiling at me. “D.N.A. Charge! Overdrive!”

“Celtinemon Digivolve to, Morgannamon!” The process, similar to Rosemon achieving the Burst Mode, was very beautiful; Celtinemon changed from warrior to spellcaster. Her green halter top and skirt turned to an elegant violet dress. Her blonde hair turned a similar but darker shade of violet. Her blue eyes burned a deep crimson red. “…So…pretty…”

“…Thank you…Giselle,” Morgannamon said in the most gentle voice I had ever heard. She smiled so kindly at me; I felt as though she were a guardian angel come to protect me. “For sharing your strength with me…I can now protect you. I can protect you, as I was meant to do from the moment we first met, little one…”

“Morgannamon…you aren’t hurt, are you?” I asked. The beautiful Digimon shook her head; her violet raven hair danced through the air.

“…What took us ages to be able to do…you managed to do with this Digimon you’ve been partnered with for a FEW DAYS?!” Rosemon snapped. “Forbidden Temptation!” Rosemon fired off her most powerful attack, but Morgannamon held up her staff to deflect it. “W-What?! No…no way…”

“You have harmed dear Giselle…You will pay for that,” Morgannamon said; her smile had vanished, but her voice remained ever gentle. “Clear Moon Sky!” The light blue jewel on Morgannamon’s staff lit up, and fired a powerful blue energy beam, much larger and more powerful than Rosemon’s. Rosemon screamed, completely enveloped by the attack, and flew backwards and slammed into the wall. “…If you refrain from hurting dear Giselle and her wonderful friends, then I will not have to attack you again.”

“Ha…HA! Don’t give me that…” Rosemon, with her back against the wall, forced herself to stand up. Her clothes and her cape were in tatters, but she still walked away towards the room’s exit.

“Where are you going?” Morgannamon asked. Rosemon ignored her, and walked up what looked like the final set of stairs. “…Come with me, Giselle. I still have need of your strength.”

“O-Okay!”

“Sparrow, Eleanora, you wait here, okay?”

“Sure, why not,” Sparrow mumbled. Eleanora nodded, and smiled at me.

“Be careful, sweetie,” she whispered. I nodded, and returned her smile before following Morgannamon up that final flight of stairs. We arrived at the roof of the castle, standing once again face-to-face with Rosemon.

“Rosemon…what more do you think yourself to be capable of?” Morgannamon asked.

“…More than you may ever know!” Rosemon smiled. The Mega Digimon began to glow in a black light, similar to that of her Burst Mode light.

“Rosemon…what are you doing?!” I asked.

“That Burst Mode you and I worked so hard to learn how to do…I learned how to do it ALL ON MY OWN!” Rosemon exclaimed, laughing maniacally. “It isn’t quite the same, but it’s a hell of a lot stronger!”

“Rosemon…” Rosemon’s clothes turned instantly black; her blonde hair turned a few shades darker, and her white cape turned dark violet.

“Make that…Rosemon Ruin Mode!” Rosemon laughed.

“Ruin…Mode?”

“That’s right…The Burst Mode that was built on trust is no more; this Ruin Mode is built on negative emotions; on darkness!

“…Confounded soul of darkness; be buried in the light of the stars, and sleep for all eternity,” Morgannamon said.

“Forbidden Lust!” Rosemon gathered energy in her hands, and fired off a powerful black beam at Morgannamon, who flew up into the sky to dodge the attack.

“Clear Moon Sky!”

“Darkworld Thorns!” Rosemon conjured up a wall of black vines, protecting her from Morgannamon’s attack. “Black Spear!” Rosemon shot one of her vines up towards Morgannamon, but my new partner simply swatted it away with her staff.

“…You have made a mistake, coming out here…Rosemon,” Morgannamon said.

“S-Shut up! Shut your fucking mouth!” Rosemon screamed.

“Night of the Falling Stars!” Morgannamon raised her staff up above her head; the sky instantly darkened, and several stars began to shine. The stars then grew larger and larger, sailing down to earth, and then, it was over. Rosemon was completely annihilated by Morgannamon’s attack. The darkness of her Ruin Mode faded away, and she returned to being regular Rosemon. But, she was fading away.

“No! Rosemon!” I cried. Morgannamon landed on the roof in front of me.

“Stay back; she might attack,” she whispered.

“…Ha…Giselle…before I go…there’s something…I want to tell you,” Rosemon said, gasping for air.

“…What…is it?” I asked.

“…My decision to leave you…I…will never regret it! I hate you so much…for what you did to me…but you have suffered, even if a little bit, before my very eyes. I am…satisfied…to see such misery on your accursed face…” Rosemon vanished from sight, and I knew that she was dead.

Chapter 105 - Free from the Darkness

Geitz Felgrande

“…What was that noise I heard earlier?” I asked. “It sounded like…an explosion…Is there another battle going on here?” I looked down at my hand — or what should have been my hand, for I was still Duskmon. It’s weird, though; I pretty much have control over myself, unlike the last time I became Duskmon…Is this what old man Baez was talking about? Controlling the darkness…? I pondered the purpose of me being here at this old fortress, and finally looked up, only to find a man standing and waiting patiently for me to notice him.

“And so, the Warrior of Darkness steps foot onto the field of battle.” I recognized who the man was immediately.

“You…the Prince of Valencia?!” I exclaimed.

“Wrong — make that King of Valencia, thank you very much,” Aegolius said. “I did away with my mother and father, and my pathetic excuse for a sister ran off with Omnimon. Now, I am in charge of things! And as your King, I expect you do as I say!”

“Heh. No rich little snot is going to get me to do what he pleases,” I said, walking past Aegolius.

“…Are you sure about that?” Aegolius asked. A bright light filled the entire room, and I turned around to face Aegolius while shielding my eyes from the light.

“What the hell are you—?!”

“Bio Hybrid DNA Charge! Bio Hybrid Digivolve to, BioAegisdramon!”

“…Well, this should certainly be interesting,” I mused. “Two Humans who can turn into Digimon; I can hardly contain my excitement!”

“Fool; have you any idea who I am?! I am Aegisdramon! You don’t stand a chance against me, Duskmon!” the prince roared. “Shine Breaker!”

“Deadly Gaze!” Our two attacks collided midair; light and darkness forced the other back and forth, until they finally cancelled each other out, dissolving into nothingness.

“Tera Hydro Breath!” BioAegisdramon launched another attack, but all I had to do was hold up one of my swords to protect myself. “N-No! How can it be?! That isn’t…”

“Foolish Prince! I know not what you may be planning…but know this; you face me in battle, so you’ve no chance at escape! Lunar Plasma!”

“No! Stay away from me! I command you—” I paid no attention to his piteous cries for mercy, and sliced his golden-armored body all the way through. BioAegisdramon collapsed, and turned back into Aegolius; still alive, but just barely.
    “…You’ve got a lot of growing up to do, kid,” I said. “I didn’t kill you now…so you could learn that lesson. Okay?” Aegolius remained silent. I sighed, and turned to leave the room.

Dayan

The sound of Aegisdramon’s roar filled the fortress. I smiled, as I knew this could mean only one thing; Aegolius had been defeated. I only hoped that he was not dead, as I still needed him for something. I turned around the corner of a wall, and walked into the room where I had heard Aegisdramon’s roar, finding Aegolius lying in the middle of the floor, staring up at the ceiling.

“So…you, too, have been defeated,” I said, apparently starting the prince.

“Dayan!”

“…Foolish prince…you actually thought you could handle someone as powerful as Geitz, just because your master told you to…” I shook my head. “I’ll never understand people like you, who roll over on command, without a thought of your own.”

“SILENCE! I am the King of Valencia! You WILL show me the respect I deserve!” As soon as Aegolius leaped to his feet, I grabbed him by the neck, and shoved him against the wall. “Hey, what the hell do you think you’re—”

“Ah, shut up; I’m glad Geitz didn’t kill ya, cuz there’s still something I need from you,” I said. Both the prince and I became enveloped in a soft blue light. When it faded, I dropped the prince to the floor.

“…You…what did you…do…to me?!” Aegolius asked.

“I only did what I was designed to do, kid,” I said. “I stole your power. Well…to be more precise, I stole Aegisdramon’s power…so now, you will never be able to Bio Hybrid Digivolve into him ever again.”

“You…bastard!”

“Hmm…Now that I think about it, a kid without the power to become a Digimon…he’s just a useless little kid, now isn’t he?” I asked. The wall to my back shook with a mighty tremor; another tremor, and the wall collapsed. GranDokugumon walked right in, staring ravenously at Aegolius.

“W…What…What is this?!” Aegolius screamed, gazing up in horror at the Mega Digimon. I could scarce blame him; the Digimon’s new appearance revolted even me. GranDokugumon had attempted to consume Widow, but because, I figured, of the Dokugumon data Widow had injected into herself, the woman fused with the monster she had created. Now, Widow’s upper body had replaced GranDokugumon’s head; she was without clothing, and upside down, but her arms had become twisted around to help with maneuvering around. Widow’s crimson eyes had gone completely blank.

“It’s simple, really; I fed Widow to this…monstrosity,” I replied, as GranDokugumon slowly approached Aegolius. “…She has quite a taste for Human flesh, I’ll have you know. I found that out after we found Crush’s corpse.”

“…You…fed Crush to this freak?!” Aegolius screamed. “YOU—” Before Aegolius could hurl some pathetic insult at me, Widow’s arms grabbed him by the shoulders, and hoisted him up off the floor. Widow opened up her mouth wide, like a snake, and tore Aegolius’s head right off his neck, and swallowed it without even bothering to chew. And then, the rest of the prince’s lifeless body was shoved down Widow’s throat in an instant. Her belly swelled to a massive sphere with the introduction of the man’s body, and she gave it a few very satisfied pats after belching up one of Aegolius’s shoes.
    “…Very good. Now…I’ve no need for Geitz; his power as Duskmon is nothing but an illusion granted to him by ShadowSeraphimon,” I said. “…Go and consume him if you so please.”

Geitz Felgrande

Following my battle with the Valencian Prince, I found my way to the roof of the fortress; several areas were burnt, as if hit by a Digimon’s attack, but I paid them no mind. Instead, I went to the railing lining the fort’s roof, and looked out at the sunset horizon. I was still unsure why Baez wanted me to do everything I did; hell, I didn’t even know if I did whatever it was he wanted me to do in the first place! Whatever. I stared on in silence at the orange sky, and the violet clouds, when I heard a few footsteps behind me. I didn’t even bother turning around; with the eyes on Duskmon’s armor, I was able to see a short Digimon, covered in bronze armor, walk up to me.

“You must be Geitz,” he said.

“…Did Baez send you?”

The Digimon nodded. “Aye, that he did. I suppose you must be pretty confused about all of this…”

“More or less. I get that he wanted me to find some way to control my ‘darkness,’ which I thought was Duskmon,” I said. “…I’m able to control myself, even in this form, unlike the last time. But still…I don’t know what to think now…”

“Yeah; Baez likes to make people think. He was never really good at giving out all the details of the important things,” the Digimon sighed.

“…So…who are you, little guy?” I asked.

“My name is Statuedramon. You can call me Statch for short, if you’d like.”

“…Your name sounds familiar,” I whispered.

“You’re from Lachesis, aren’t you? I’m part of the guild as well,” Statuedramon said. “It’s been a while since I’ve been back, though; Baez helped me regain my lost memories, so I haven’t really been able to.”

“You got some kind of job or something?” I asked.

“Something like that, yes. But, when I heard that Baez went to go find the one ShadowSeraphimon gave his power to, I figured I’d go with him, because…well, you know; bad at explaining, and all of that,” Statch said. “…To tell you the truth, I’m probably no better than Baez is; I’m not really smart enough to make people understand what goes on in my head. But that doesn’t mean I can’t help you.”

“Help…have I not done what Baez has asked of me? Have I not gained control of the darkness inside me?” I asked.

“You have…for the most part,” Statch replied. “There’s still one small bit left over, and that’s why you’re Duskmon. We don’t really have enough time to wait for you to do this, so I’ll just help you, whether Baez wants me to or not.” I turned around to face the small Digimon.

“So, how are you going to help—” In a single, clean motion, Statuedramon drew his sword, and struck me in the chest, in the center of an eye. “W-What?! What are you—?!”

“Relax; this’ll only take a sec,” Statch said. His sword began to glow with a blue light, and I of the same. The light consumed me entirely, and for a moment, I could see nothing. And then, it all cleared away. I was still on the roof of the fortress, on my hands and knees before Statch; to my surprise, there wasn’t a speck of blood to be seen anywhere.

“…What…did you do?” I asked, more curious than angered.

“Nothing big; I just sealed away that last bit of darkness,” Statch smirked. “…We’re going to need your help later, but we don’t know when; we can’t have you enveloped in darkness when the time comes, okay?”

“But…I won’t be able to become Duskmon anymore?” I asked.

“No. You’ll become a Digimon more powerful,” Statuedramon said. “…If you’d like…you can test it out on this one.” Statch motioned to the doorway, where I could see GranDokugumon forcing her way up the stairs; however, where her head was instead was Widow’s upper body.

“…Might as well take you up on that offer,” I said. The now-mutated GranDokugumon faced me, with Widow’s arms extended. I stood my ground, and waited for the darkness to envelop me, as it did with Duskmon. However, when it did, it felt different; where last time, it felt as though there was a crushing weight on my chest, this darkness made me feel relieved; warm; secure. This new darkness was not evil; it wasn’t the darkness given to me by ShadowSeraphimon. That darkness was gone, as Statuedramon said. This darkness was mine, and mine alone. “Shadow Meteor!” I fired a powerful blast of dark energy from my chest at the monstrosity before me; GranDokugumon was killed in an instant, vanishing into nothingness. “…This power…it’s…”

“You are now Loewemon,” Statuedramon said. “The true warrior of darkness; but, as you may have figured out by now, darkness is not a bad thing unless you choose to make it that way. Darkness is like any of the other elements; fire, water, light…It is not inherently evil. And neither are you, Geitz Felgrande.”

“…You sure do know a lot, little buddy,” I said, turning from Loewemon back into my Human form.

“Well? Will you come with me?” Statuedramon asked. “There are still a few things I need to teach you if we are to succeed in stopping the forces of evil.”

“…Yes. I will go anywhere with you, Statuedramon,” I smiled.

“…Thank you, Geitz. Let’s go quietly; a few of your old friends from Lachesis are here in this fortress battling the other minions of evil.”

“Friends…Matthew, and those guys…? They’re here?”

“We need to go,” Statuedramon insisted. “It’ll be easier if they don’t see you, and it’ll save us time from having to explain things to them.”

“…Fine. Lead the way, Statuedramon.”

Chapter 106 - Deep Anxiety

Sparrow Lea

Our walk back home was a silent and awkward one. Part of the silence was caused by our exhaustion. But mostly, none of us wished to speak after being unable to find Matthew after searching through that old castle for almost an hour after the defeat of Rosemon. There also existed an awkward tension amongst us caused by the fear of being reprimanded not by Ulysses, but by Omnimon.

“…You guys…can blame me if you’d like,” Giselle finally spoke up.

“What are you talking about?” Eleanora asked.

“Well…Mr. Omnimon probably won’t be too happy that we all went to that old fortress without telling him,” Giselle said. “So, like…you can all blame me if you’d like…”

“Giselle…if you’re only saying this for Rosemon’s sake, then don’t,” Eleanora said gently. “Besides, it was my brother who went missing; you should be blaming me anyway.”

“I made the decision to go,” I spoke up.

“Well, I have the Mark, so I’m used to being yelled at for no reason,” Eleanora whispered.

“He’s not going to yell at you because you have the Mark! You should just blame me!”

“No, it was my fault; I wasn’t paying attention to what Matthew was doing, and that’s why he was taken so easily!” Eleanora retorted.

“Look, we can just say I dragged you both along against your will—”

“Oh, like anyone would believe that! Besides, there’s no way you could drag us—”

“Oh, sure, yeah; it would be impossible for me to drag to tiny little girls along the ground,” I said.

“HEY! It is hard for us Marked to retain nutrients from what we eat! I can’t help being a skinny little weakling! I want to get bigger so I can be strong enough to protect Mattie!” Eleanora snapped.

“…Eleanora. You are not weak,” I said quietly. “You are strong…both physically, and emotionally…You’re one of the strongest people I know, Ellie.”

“Well, I can’t protect him looking like some disgusting anorexic model, Sparrow; I need to get stronger,” Eleanora whispered. “…Plus, it’d be nice to have some curves.”

“You keep trying to do everything by yourself; that kind of stress just isn’t good for you,” I replied. “Let other people help you…Let me help you, Ellie…I care too much about you to let you do everything on your own, because you aren’t alone. Just let me help you…with anything you think you may need in order to get whatever amount of power you think is necessary.”

“…Thank you, Sparrow.”

“Of course; you know I’d do anything for you, El…”

“…Um, I hate to break up this sweet little thing going on here,” Giselle said. “But, I can see the fortress through the trees up ahead, so we need to, like, figure out who’s blaming who, or whatever.” I glanced over at Eleanora, who smiled at me.
    “…Nobody. We’re just going to tell Omnimon what happened,” I said. “With any hope, they noticed Matthew’s absence, and sent out another group to go find him.”

“Whaddya MEAN you didn’t even notice we were gone?!” I shouted.

“Uh…sorry…?” Ulysses glanced back and forth between me and Eleanora, Giselle, and our Digimon. “So…what were you doing, then?”

“…In that battle with all of the SkullSatamon, Matthew was taken away,” Eleanora said. A few gasps could be heard from the crowd gathered in the lounge of the fortress.

“…No…Matthew…?” Zelda whispered.

“Are you certain he was taken?” Edmund asked.

“He didn’t go with us to…I mean…”

“Giselle? Where did you go?” Ulysses asked sternly.

“…Um…”

“It’s okay, Giselle,” I heard Eleanora whisper to the younger girl, placing Giselle’s hand in hers.

“W-Well, uh…we…kinda went to that old castle Mr. Omnimon was talking about,” Giselle said in a meek voice.

“…And? Did you see the prince?” Omnimon asked.

“No, we didn’t see him, and we didn’t see or hear anything that might have connected him to that old fortress,” I said. “…But it wasn’t empty.”

“Who else was there?” Ulysses asked.

“Apparently, they were mercenaries; they were codenamed Dagger and Widow,” Eleanora said. “Widow created a Human as well, a man named Dayan; apparently, he was given the ability to absorb power from Digimon. We weren’t able to defeat him, so he’s running free as we speak.”

“…I shall remain on the lookout for this individual,” Omnimon said. “What did he look like?”

“Well…he was bald, and he had a black coat on,” I said. “He looked kinda old, but not as old as Ulysses; like maybe in his 50’s…”

“…And…there was one other who was there,” Giselle said. “…Rosemon was there, too.”

“Rosemon?! She was there?!” Ulysses exclaimed. Giselle nodded; she tried to say something, but fell silent.

“Rosemon fought against us as an enemy, on the side of those mercenaries,” Celtinemon continued. “I had to Digivolve into my Mega form in order to defeat her, but even after she turned into Ruin Mode, I was able to beat her.”

“There was probably more than those four; I saw signs of recent battles in rooms that we hadn’t been to,” Sparrow said. “There were areas that were burnt pretty badly, still smoldering actually; I know they weren’t acting alone. There were blood stains, but we didn’t find any bodies; they may be alive for all we know.”

“…Very well then. I will go investigate on the morrow,” Omnimon said. “Until this matter is resolved, I wish to keep Princess Micaiah here with you; have you any objections with this, Sir Ulysses?”

“None whatsoever,” our leader replied.

“Then I will be taking my leave of you. I will come back for Micaiah when it is safe for her to return to Valencia Castle.” Without another word, without so much as a thank you, Omnimon stood up, and walked out of the room, leaving the fortress in silence.

“…That Digimon’s got some issues,” I said to myself.

“And he’s only the least of our concerns,” Ulysses said. “Eleanora, have you any idea where Matthew may have been taken?”

“I…I don’t know; he was just taken by one of those SkullSatamon; I don’t know where he could be!” Eleanora exclaimed, breathing heavily.

“Please, do not worry; we will find your brother, rest assured,” Ulysses said in a calm voice as Zelda rushed to Eleanora’s side. “But for now, it is getting quite late; we will have no chance of finding him in the darkness of night. We will all go out in search of Matthew tomorrow in the morning, okay?”

“…Okay…okay…”

“Are you going to be alright?” Zelda whispered, helping Eleanora lower into a sofa.

“…I think so…I just got a little dizzy…”
    “It’ll be okay, dear; we’ll find him,” Zelda said. “We will find Matthew.”

Edmund Luxord

It had been a rather quiet, yet disquieting night since Eleanora’s return home from searching for Matthew; we had all hoped that he was safe and unharmed, but we simply had no way of knowing for certain whether he was or not. And, of course, all of us were worried for Eleanora; closer to Matthew than any of us, being his twin, we could all tell that she was feeling a dreadful angst. She was very similar to Larraine, in that regard; when Eleanora was sad, we all felt her sadness. When she was happy, we all shared in the joy of her kind and radiant smile. And now, I felt nothing apart from dread, so I could but imagine how awful dear Eleanora felt. I gave her shut door a sympathetic gaze before glancing out a window; pitch-black.

Probably 2 or so in the morning, I pondered. I continued on downstairs, as I had been asked to do several minutes prior by my father.

“Hello, honey,” my mother said quietly as I stepped into the lounge. “Sorry to wake you up so late at night…”

“Do not worry over it, mother; I do not believe I would have enjoyed my dreams had I been able to visit them in their realm regardless,” I replied as Abigail pulled me into a tight hug as she always did whenever she saw me.

“Oh, Eddie…are you still worried about Eleanora?” she cooed.

“We all are,” my father said quietly.

“So, why was I called down here?” I asked.

“…Eddie, dear…We have been asked us to go on a little trip,” Abigail said. “Just your father and me…”

“I’m afraid we cannot tell you where we’re going, or what we’ll be doing,” Flamedramon added.

“…I understand, Father,” I replied.

“Just know that we’re off to find…an old friend of Zelda’s” Abigail said gently. “…Oh…I really don’t want to leave you, Eddie; we just got back together after four-hundred years…but my little boy’s all grown up now…so I want you to be good and brave while mommy’s gone, okay pumpkin?”

“Mother, I’m a grown man,” I protested.

“Ah, she knows, lad; she just hasn’t seen you since you were little, so she doesn’t really know any other way to act,” Flamedramon said.

“I do too!” Abigail snapped.

“Mother, don’t worry about it; you know I love you,” I said, looking into her deep ruby eyes.

“…I love you so much, Eddie. I really don’t want to leave you…but I just can’t turn down a request from Zelda; she’s like a daughter to me…”

“I understand; but at least this time, I know you won’t be gone for a thousand years on end,” I said.

“Trust me, we won’t be; just a few months at the most,” Flamedramon said. “…That little bastard better be where I think he is; we really need his help right about now…”

“Indeed; Sparrow’s theory about Seraphimon does make a good amount of sense,” I added. “Considering it was Sparrow’s theory, that is…”

“…We should get going,” Abigail said to Flamedramon. “…Any longer, and I won’t be able to tear myself apart from Eddie…”

“I’d be okay if you wanted to stay behind with him,” Flamedramon said.

“…No. I’m not going to con you into doing all the work, Flamie; besides, I want to see him again, too,” Abigail said.

“…Well then…good luck, Mother…Father,” I said. I looked into the eyes of my parents one final time before they turned around, and walked out of the fortress. I kept my gaze on their backs as the disappeared into the darkness of the night.

Chapter 107 - March of the Lion King

Eleanora Kasuto

Those first rays of dawn sunlight spilled through my window directly onto my eyes; I was awake in an instant. Seeing Lunamon still sleeping soundly next to me on my bed, I allowed my Digimon partner to remain asleep; so I would not disturb her, I climbed out of bed as slowly and as quietly as I could, before wrapping her around my blankets. I shut my bedroom door behind me, and walked downstairs. As I entered the lounge, I saw that Zelda, Sparrow, Hawkmon, Coronamon, and Edmund were already awake. Zelda immediately smiled when she saw me walk in, and gave me a gentle hug when I sat down on a sofa next to her.

“G’morning,” Sparrow mumbled.

“And how does dawn’s early light find thee today, m’lady?” Edmund asked.

“…Well, I’d say the two of you covered both ends of the spectrum of saying ‘good morning,’” I said sarcastically.

“Heh; good to see ya smiling again,” Sparrow said.

“How are you holding up?” Hawkmon asked.

“Actually…I’m about to set out,” I replied.

“…You’re going out in search of Matthew, aren’t you,” Edmund said. I nodded.

“I’m not going to wait any longer; I can’t believe I actually let myself get talked into sleeping last night instead of searching for him!” I exclaimed.

“Honey, you needed to get your sleep,” Zelda whispered. “You don’t want to nod off while you’re out there looking for him, do you?”

“…No.”

“Well, nobody would dare try to talk you out of abandoning him outright,” Sparrow said with a smirk on his face. “So, where’re we headed?”

“…You…actually want to go with me?” I asked.

“Of course I do! I said I’d do anything to help you the other day, didn’t I? I wasn’t just flirting with you back there, I really meant it!” Sparrow said.

“…I…don’t know what to say,” I murmured. “I…didn’t actually think anyone would want to—”

“He’s your brother, and my great-something grandson; of course I’m going with you!” Zelda interjected.

“El, I’m not just going cuz I think you’re cute and all; Matt’s my pal, you know,” Sparrow said.

“I’m Matthew’s Digimon partner; of course I’m going!” Coronamon added.

“And I am Sparrow’s; it goes without saying that I would be going as well,” Hawkmon said.

“Everyone in Lachesis cares deeply about you and your brother, Eleanora,” Edmund said. “I will do everything in my power to see that the two of you are reunited.”

“…Edmund…everybody…thank you…thank you so…much…”

“There, there, darling; there’s no need to cry,” Zelda whispered gently.

“…Okay; I’ll try…Let’s just get going already.”

“Where to?” Sparrow asked. “We don’t really have any leads; should we just wander aimlessly?”

“…In that case…we might want to consider going to the Black Rose Mountains,” Zelda said.

“Black Rose…? Why there?” I asked.

“It is a bleak and desolate landscape; a favorite for bandits and the like,” Zelda said. “It is possible that the SkullSatamon could have taken him there.”
    “Very well then; let us be off. To the Black Rose Mountains!” I exclaimed.

1 Hour

The peaks of many mountains were littered across the gray landscape; gray, in fact, was the only color to be seen. The sky was covered in gray clouds; the mountains, and the land beneath us; all of it was stone gray.

“…I’m not seeing anyone,” Sparrow said.

“I’m not picking up any scents, either,” Coronamon added. “It might be because the winds here are so out of whack, though…”

“A thorough investigation of the landscape is in order, then,” Edmund said.

“…Zelda, you said you’ve been here before, right?” I asked. “Where do you think we ought to search first?” My ancestor was staring off at the horizon, still and unblinking. “Zelda…? Are you okay…?”

“I hear a voice,” she whispered. “It isn’t Matthew’s…but I hear…”

“Well, c’mon! Maybe it was whoever took him!” I exclaimed. “Lead the way!” Zelda nodded, and began quietly leading us across the harsh landscape filled with jagged stones and crushed rocks, finally coming to a rather large rock tall enough for us to all hide behind.

“…Here,” she whispered. “Stay quiet…” I peeked out from behind the rock, and saw two Digimon I had never seen before; a dragon covered in blue armor, and an upright lion in a black coat.

“It’s time…we have a little talk, BanchoLeomon,” the dragon said.

Bancho…Leomon? That’s really him? I’ve never seen him before, but I’ve heard about him…

“Our master…is running low on pawns,” the dragon continued. “Five of them were eliminated yesterday at our old fortress; will you not consider joining us…old friend?”

“…The time for talk is over. Your master fell from the light; you cannot expect me to join you in the darkness, Darkdramon,” BanchoLeomon said.

“Oh, but I do…you see…if he is to control all…would it not be better…to be on his good side, like me?” Darkdramon asked. “…We need your help, BanchoLeomon…That mercenary guild is becoming a thorn in our sides. If you were to help us eliminate them…”

“I refuse your offer.”

“You…can’t be serious!” Darkdramon exclaimed. “…Honestly…you haven’t the slightest clue just how powerful our master is!”

“If he’s as powerful as you claim…then why do you need my help?” BanchoLeomon asked.

“Well, he can’t be everywhere at once! We’ll need your help destroying Lachesis in his name!”

“…No.”

“…You…will regret your decision!” Darkdramon roared.

Should we do something?” I whispered.

He mentioned that old fortress we were at; he must be with the other guys we fought,” Sparrow said. “But we only defeated Widow, Dagger, and Rosemon…was there somebody else in there fighting two other people from their group?

I think it may be a worthwhile endeavor to engage in conversation with the two,” Edmund suggested.

Maybe…Zelda, what do you think we should…Zelda?” I looked around, and saw Zelda walking up to the two Digimon.

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing here, Human?!” Darkdramon shouted.

“…You shouldn’t be here,” BanchoLeomon said.

“…I won’t let him take you, BanchoLeomon,” Zelda said. “I won’t let this Digimon drag you into darkness.” BanchoLeomon looked down at Zelda with a blank expression at first, but then suddenly, he gasped.

“You…you’re…” As BanchoLeomon gazed at Zelda, the Summoner pulled a Digimon talisman from her purse, conjuring Mercurymon before her.

“Is this a challenge?!” Darkdramon snapped. “You have no idea…what sort of hell you just landed yourself in, lady! Dark Roar!”

“Dark Reflection!” Mercurymon held up his twin shields, and absorbed Darkdramon’s attack before firing it off back at the dragon. Darkdramon was sent flying backwards, crashing through several stone spires.

“You…cheap bastard,” Darkdramon muttered. “In the name of my master, I refuse to accept defeat! Gigastick Lance!” Mercurymon held up his shields once again, but before Darkdramon could even reach him, BanchoLeomon rushed forward.

“King Lion!” The Beast Man Digimon took a swipe at Darkdramon with his sword, perfectly blocking Darkdramon’s attack.

“BanchoLeomon! You dare betray me?!” Darkdramon exclaimed.

“I can do even worse than that if you insist on hurting this young lady,” BanchoLeomon said coolly. Darkdramon grimaced, glaring down at BanchoLeomon for a few silent moments. With a grunt, Darkdramon withdrew his spear, and flew away.

“I will be back…old friend,” Darkdramon said. “Farewell…for now.”

“…Indeed…until we meet again,” BanchoLeomon said in a quiet but irritated voice.

“…Mr. BanchoLeomon…Are you unharmed?” Zelda asked. BanchoLeomon glanced down at her, and smiled.

“Zelda…it’s so good to see you again,” BanchoLeomon said.

“…You are really are him,” Zelda said. “Leomon…”

“Heh; knew it was me, huh?”

“Yes, I could sense a familiar presence as we came closer to the mountains,” Zelda replied. “Leomon…I mean, BanchoLeomon; what are you doing all the way up here?”

“Well, I was reborn a few hundred years ago; when I became Elecmon, I went out to find your mercenary guild,” BanchoLeomon said. “And…well…I, uh…got kinda…lost…again…” Zelda stifled a small smile.

“I—I see,” she whispered. “I’m glad to see you haven’t really changed all that much; just like Dynasmon…”

“Is that so…Well then, may I ask why you’ve decided to come all the way up here?”

“…We’re looking for my brother,” I said, walking up to BanchoLeomon. “…Have you seen him? He’s—”

“Now, I’m going to stop you right there, and tell you I haven’t seen anyone, apart from you guys, and Darkdramon, for several months,” BanchoLeomon interrupted.

“Oh…I…see…”

“I’m sorry. I wish I could be of more help to you…but it’s the truth.”

“…BanchoLeomon…would you like to come back to the guild with us?” Zelda asked. “It’d be nice to be able to talk to you again.”

“You know, Zelda, I’ll take you up on that offer. But…not today,” BanchoLeomon said. “…I still have a few things I need to take care of.”

“Does it have anything to do with Darkdramon?” I asked.

“…Yes. I…used to be friends with him, many years ago…but then, about a month ago, he came to me and told me about his so-called master of darkness; he kept urging me to join,” BanchoLeomon replied. “…He is no longer the friend I thought him to be. He is pure evil now. I must stop him…no matter what it takes. But he’s strong; really strong…I need to get strong enough to defeat him. That’s my goal…and as soon as that goal is achieved, I will join your guild…Zelda.”
    “…I understand. I’ll be looking forward to it,” she smiled.

2 Hours

My legs were sore, and my feet were killing me. Physically, the only thing to my advantage was that the Black Rose Mountains were not boiling hot, like Cyprus Desert was. And I was severely disappointed that we saw no traces of Matthew, or even the SkullSatamon. My heart had sunken into a deep pool of despair, but my resolve to find my twin was not lost, nor had it ever been as strong as it is now. I clenched my fists, looked out at the cloudy grey horizon…and tripped over a large rock. I fell, tumbling down and down the steep, rocky slope before faceplanting on the ground.

“…owie…”

“Huh?! Who goes there?!” I slowly lifted up my head, trying to snort out a rock that had found its way into my left nostril. My head was spinning from the fall, so I was unable to make out anything around me clearly.

“…Wha…?”

“Who goes there?!” The voice asked again in a louder and more cautious voice. My vision began to clear, and I saw a short Digimon standing in front of me. “I-I’m warning; I’m dangerous! Y-You won’t want to fight me!”

“…Why would I want to fight you?” I asked.

“B-Because…oh…o-oh d-dear…you don’t s-seem to be any sort of…of miscreant, n-now do you? Oh, dear me…”

“Um…who…are you?” I asked.

“M-My name is KingChessmon, I’ll have you know! N-Now, what is it y-you want with me?!” the short Digimon asked.

“I…don’t want anything, sir; I just fell…” And…the KingChessmon species is normally white; this one is black…I’d ask why, but it would probably just sound too awkward…

“Oh, oh, y-yes, I…I see…Oh, my…my word; don’t you Humans ever look where you’re…where you’re going anymore?” KingChessmon chuckled. “S-Stand up, dearie; I’ll fix you right up.” I did as I was told, and the black KingChessmon waved his staff through the air. The cuts and bruises covering my body began to glow, and in an instant, they had vanished.

“W-Whoa! Thank you, sir!”

“Oh, th-think nothing o-of it, dearie,” KingChessmon said bashfully. “N-Now, what might a young lady like yourself be doing all the way up here at the…at the Black Rose Mountains?”

“…I’m looking for my brother,” I said. “He was taken away by a large flock of SkullSatamon; have you seen him?”

“…S-SkullS-Satamon, you say…”

“Is there something wrong, sir?” I asked.

“Wha—? Oh, no, no, not at all…I…I am afraid I-I haven’t seen any flocks of, uh, SkullS-Satamon around, or any other Humans…”

“I see…Well, thank you for your time, KingChessmon, and thank you for healing me.”

“O-Oh, it isn’t a t-trouble at all, dearie; i-isn’t…isn’t it a king’s duty t-to look out for his subjects?”

“A…king?”

“Oh, yes, I’m not a king merely by name, I’ll have you know!” KingChessmon said in a more boastful voice. “I am the one and only King of Cherifia Province!”

“Oh…! Oh, sir, it is an honor to meet you!” I exclaimed, bowing to the tiny Digimon. “I am Eleanora Kasuto of the Lachesis mercenary guild!”

“L—Lachesis, y-you say?!”

“Yes, sir…?”

“O-Oh, I…I see…Then…Well, I-I saw a v-very large D-D-Darkdramon flying due south of here — quite intimidating, really — was it you…who chased him away from these parts…?” KingChessmon asked.

“Yes; my friends and I all came here in search of my brother, as I’ve told you; we encountered Darkdramon, and my, uh, Aunt, was able to drive him away with help from an old friend of hers,” I replied.

“…Is that so…”

“KingChessmon…?”

“W-Well then…i-it does certainly sound like you and your m-mercenary guild are just filled with strength, eh wot?”

“Oh, well, I doubt I’m as strong as some of the others,” I said, blushing and smiling nervously.

“Oh, there’s no need to be so modest, my dear,” KingChessmon chuckled, turning his head to the sky. “…O-Oh! M-My word, what is—?!”

“Hawkmon!” I exclaimed.

“Gracious, Eleanora, are you unharmed?!” Hawkmon exclaimed. “We’ve been searching frantically for you after you fell!”

“Oh, Hawkie! I’m fine,” I replied.

“Why, you tripped right over that rock and fell down all the way here without a single cut!”

“Well, we have Mr. KingChessmon to thank for that,” I said. “He was able to heal all the cuts and bruises I got when I fell!”

“Oh, my! Well, we are all eternally indebted to you for helping our dearest Eleanora,” Hawkmon bowed.

“No, no, there’s no need for thanks,” KingChessmon said absently.

“Aw, but there is…” I pulled KingChessmon closer to me, and hugged him. “Thank you, KingChessmon.”

“T-T-There…is no need to…to…Oh, my dear, you’re welcome…”

“We need to get going,” Hawkmon said. “Many thanks once more for healing our dear friend.”

“…It wasn’t a problem at all,” KingChessmon replied.

Chapter 108 - Black Serpent

Matthew Kasuto

Trionfimon had proved to be a very kind and welcoming hostess; for the two days I had stayed with her, she had always gone far than out of her way to ensure that I was well and comfortable; she cooked three meals a day for the both of us, all of which were delicious; and when I wasn’t sleeping, she spent time grooming her tail to keep her fur as soft as silk, and fluffier than any pillow I knew. For a while, though, I had wondered why she didn’t question me about my Mark; it was in the center of my forehead, and very clear for anyone to see. And then, she told me, not an hour ago.

“You see, I knew this whole time about your Mark, and what it means,” she began. “I know for some people, it’s a rather difficult subject to simply speak to them about. I could see the uncertainty dwelling in your eyes, Matthew, so I figured that I would tell you.”

“…Oh…”

“And I would like to say…that I fail to understand why you and the other Marked are hated as you are,” Trionfimon said. “You’re such a gentle soul, Matthew; how could anybody hate you for the blood you carry in you? Such a ridiculous notion…”

“…I dunno…” Trionfimon reached out and grabbed my hand.

“This world…all worlds…can be cruel, sometimes…I don’t know how much pain you might have had to deal with over the course of your life, so I can only hope that you don’t ever have to deal with that contemptable inanity ever again…”

“…T-Thank you, Miss Trionfimon,” I said.

“Now, why don’t you rest up a little more? You seem to be feeling better today; what say we go out and find your family in a little bit?”

“That would…be wonderful…” Trionfimon smiled at me one final time before leaving the room.

…Matthew…I don’t sense any darkness in her heart, I heard Katsumi’s spirit whisper to me.

“Why would you?” I whispered back. “She’s as sweet as Zelda, Kitty…”

You didn’t let me finish, dear…I don’t sense any darkness inside of her heart…but I do sense darkness around it, Katsumi said. Trionfimon is as you say; very gentle, and pure of heart. But I do sense a darkness that surrounds her…I sense that she may be involved in something dangerous, perhaps unwillingly…

“…What should we do?” I asked.

Nothing for now…All I can say for certain is that she is not evil, Matthew. But please…be careful around her…
    “I will…Don’t worry, Kitty.”

Lucia Delbray

Eleanora, Edmund, Zelda, and Sparrow returned to the fortress roughly an hour ago. After allowing them ample time to rest from their long trip to the Black Rose Mountains, Mihiramon and I sat across from them, interrogating them about their mission and what went down.

“…So, you had a run in with a Darkdramon?” I asked.

“Yes; I believe he may be a part of that same group that Widow, Dagger, and Rosemon were in,” Eleanora replied.

“…Then that means it is possible he may be working with those SkullSatamon,” I pondered. “Sparrow…Didn’t you say you suspected Seraphimon of having something to do with this…?”

“Yeah…I don’t really know how the thought came to me, it just sort of…popped into my head,” the young man replied.

“Perhaps, but it does make sense, now that I think more about it…”

“…Even though you called it a ‘hair-brained theory that only an idiot like me could think of’ the other day?”

“Yes, Sparrow. That is exactly right. But, in light of all of these recent events, one cannot help but notice that Seraphimon is not here,” I continued. “Which means, he is either deceased…or he is with them.”

“Um…is it not possible that he may be unaware of what’s going on?” Eleanora asked.

“No; a long time ago, I read in a book that Seraphimon was created by Goddess Arcadia to be the executor of her laws,” Zelda said. “He is one of the Three Celestial Digimon, along with Cherubimon and Ophanimon. They are benevolent angels who are always aware of any evil that might be going on…and the fact that he hasn’t been seen by anyone…”

“…Zelda…Didn’t you tell me that Dominimon was acquainted with Seraphimon? Is it not possible that he may know where he is?” I asked.

“I…guess it’s possible, but he said it was a few hundred years ago.”

“…All right. I guess I’ll go pay your old man a visit, then.” I climbed onto Mihiramon’s back, and tightly gripped the reigns strapped onto him. “I’ll be back soon, okay? Don’t go wandering out, unless it’s an emergency.” Before any of them could reply, Mihiramon stretched his ancient wings, and ran out of the room at full speed, turning a sharp corner smoothly to change direction to Yew. The large city was in sight within a matter of seconds with Mihiramon’s speed; in even less time, we had entered the city. Passersby screamed and dashed to the sidewalk as Mihiramon tore through the streets. As we continued, however, I notice that their gazes were not at us, but at the sky. “Mihiramon…what’s going on?”

“It seems we’ve an uninvited guest with us,” the Digimon growled. I looked up at the sky; dark clouds billowed forth and expanded with the coming of an enormous serpentine Digimon. “Your orders, Lucia?”

“Let’s wait to see where it goes; we can decide from there.”

“Pretty sure it’s tailing us,” Mihiramon said.

“In that case, prepare for battle!” Mihiramon came to a screeching halt, and I leapt off his back after retrieving my axe from its holster. As Mihiramon said, the huge Digimon was following us; as soon as we came to a stop, the serpent spiraled down to the ground in front of us. “Dominimon’s church isn’t too far; go and get him, wouldja?”

“There will be no need for that,” the Digimon said in a thick, raspy voice. “I came only to give you a warning, Lucia Delbray.”

“So, you know who I am, huh? Why don’t you tell us who you are before you say something stupid?” I asked.

“Naturally…My name is Jourmungandrmon; I am known as the Black Serpent.”

“All right…What is it you want to warn us about?”

“…You and your friends are on the verge of entering upon a dangerous game; it is the wish of my master that you cease your actions posthaste,” Jourmungandrmon said.

“And just who is your master?” Mihiramon asked. “Care to give us a name?”

“…If you were to discern his name, then you would undoubtedly feel obligated to continue on as you have been,” Jourmungandrmon replied. “That is not something my master wishes to see happen. I’ve every right to destroy you for what you did to Darkdramon, not to mention the Valencian Prince, Rosemon, and those…mercenaries. But…I have been given no such orders to do so, I’m afraid. That warning is all I will give to you, Lachesis mercenaries. Do not continue seeking information; if we are to cross paths again…then it is your own lives that shall be forfeit. Fare thee well…and may we never meet again.” Jourmungandrmon began to slither up into the sky; I called out to him, but it was too late; he had already disappeared into the dark clouds that followed him.

“…Damn it…Even I could sense just how strong he was,” I whispered.

“Then it is no doubt for the best that he left when he did.” I turned around, and saw Dominimon approaching us. “You are unharmed…Lucia?”

“No, he didn’t attack us,” I replied. “But that’s not what’s important; we came here to talk to you, Father Dominimon.”

“Oh, yes…about Seraphimon…correct?” Dominimon asked. “My dear Zelda asked me of him just a few days ago.”

“All right; when was the last time you spoke to Seraphimon?”

“…Around three-hundred to four-hundred years ago, I believe,” was Dominimon’s answer. “I met him en route to the Lachesis fortress, right before I joined the guild. At the time, I was searching for my daughter, whom I had heard was a mercenary in these parts.”

“Where did you last see him?” Mihiramon asked.

“Here, in Yew; he said he was leaving the guild, though he did not say why,” Dominimon said. “I asked the guild’s then-second master, Murmuxmon, about Seraphimon, but he gave no reason as to why Seraphimon left…”

“I see…that is most unfortunate,” I murmured. “…One more question, Dominimon, if you do not object.”

“Of course, my dear; what is it you wish to ask?”

“…A few days ago, Sparrow came up with a…quite a brilliant theory, actually, as to the whereabouts of Seraphimon, which Zelda was able to back up with her own information,” I said. “…Dominimon. Where is Seraphimon right now?”

“I’m afraid I haven’t an answer for that, my dear,” Dominimon said. “…What was Sparrow’s theory?”

“…That Seraphimon isn’t here right now…helping us fend off this evil…is because he himself has fallen into the darkness,” Mihiramon said.

“That—That…That is…a very…far-fetched theory,” Dominimon stuttered. “Could it simply be that he is unaware of these happenings?”

“Now, that’s where Zelda’s information comes in,” I said. “Seraphimon, along with Cherubimon and Ophanimon, were created by the Goddess to be the Celestial Digimon who would valiantly and diligently fight off the spread of darkness in our world; Ophanimon and Cherubimon were killed five-hundred years ago, so it makes sense that they aren’t here now…but Seraphimon? If he hasn’t died too, then…”

“…Then he’s with them,” Dominimon mused. “Yes…That is actually a very sound theory young Sparrow brought to us…Well, I’m afraid I was of no use to you, was I…? I couldn’t give you any helpful information about Seraphimon that you didn’t already know…”

“No, don’t worry about it, Dominimon; just be careful from here on out, okay?” Mihiramon asked.

“You should probably head back to the guild soon, and stay with us for a while,” I added. “We’re going on back. Please…don’t be late. We’re all starting to get real paranoid with everything that’s been going on, you know?”
    “I understand. I will follow you back as soon as I am able,” Dominimon said.

Jourmungandrmon

The underground room that served as the meeting place for my master, and those who followed him, was lit brightly by many candles. Our master had requested the presence of every one of us who was left alive, and all showed, barring Trionfimon. To my left stood Darkdramon and KingChessmon. To my right was Fenrirmon. Our master, as usual, stood hidden in the shadows, away from the light.

“The message has been passed on as you wish, master,” I said. “I have told Lucia Delbray to resist finding information about us…Although, I cannot ensure that they will heed our warning.”

“I don’t see why we even had to give them a warning in the first place!” Fenrirmon growled. “We should just obliterate them all in one fell swoop!”

“O-Oh, y-yes, w-well, we, uh…We…wouldn’t want to share in the f-fates of Rosemon and Aegolius, would we?” KingChessmon asked.

“Speak for yourself, coward; we should just fight them all and be done with them!” Darkdramon roared. And then came the bone-chilling voice of our master.

“Remember…we have not been given permission to do that, Darkdramon,” he said. “Their quintessence is required; thus, they live.”

“Yeah, but it isn’t really necessary, is it?” Fenrirmon asked.

“…Perhaps not…but I would rather not take that risk. Unless you would like to be the one to tell IceDevimon that we eliminated his largest supply of quintessence?” our master asked. Fenrirmon folded his ears back, and lay down on the cool stone floor.

“Master…what should our next move be?” I asked.

“Hmm…I would have liked it if Trionfimon were here; her divination has proven most useful,” he murmured. “Well…if they won’t back down…we ought to give them a true taste…of our power.”

“Shall we launch another attack?”

“…Yes. Jourmungandrmon…rally all SkullSatamon, Devimon, Ghoulmon, and DemiDevimon troops. Take Fenrirmon, Darkdramon, and KingChessmon with you. Lay waste…to the prince’s city. Lay waste to Yew!”

Chapter 109 - Doomsday

Dominimon

For thirty minutes following Lucia’s departure, I paced around my silent, empty church. “…It sure worked out that she didn’t take me back home by force,” I mused. “With what’s coming…I’d hate to get her or any of the others involved…No. This threat is one I will take care of myself.” A sword protruded from the gauntlet on my left hand, and I brandished it through the air. “Well?! Come and face me, then, if you’ve the courage to do so!”

“Impressive, Priest Dominimon…I was not expecting to be discovered so soon. Your senses are most keen, indeed.” I walked to the main room of the church, only to see the coiled form of Jourmungandrmon lying in wait for me.

“…And what might you want, Black Serpent?” I asked.

“For a number of things, War Monk,” Jourmungandrmon replied. “But it all comes down to the same thing, really…Lachesis is not to interfere with us. So I have warned them…but, I sincerely doubt that they will listen. You lot are hardly the most reasonable bunch out there, I’ll admit…it really is infuriating.”

“So; you plan to attack the city? That’s a little cliché, Black Serpent.”

“Oh, don’t be so naïve, War Monk; it is you…that I have come for,” Jourmungandrmon said. “Are you not among those who have been with Lachesis for the longest time?”

“…Since the time of the guild’s second master, Murmuxmon, yes,” I answered.

“Yes…I see the way you hold your blade, Dominimon; you are no fledgling amateur like Lucia Delbray.”

“Don’t underestimate that woman; it’ll be the last thing you do, to be sure.”

“Oh, come now; I merely meant that you’ve hundreds of years of experience when compared to her; that is time which she could only dream of attaining due to being a simple Human,” Jourmungandrmon said.

“Well, you’re wrong if you think I’m the guild’s strongest; that title belongs to either Edmund or Flamedramon,” I said. Jourmungandrmon smirked, and lowered his head to face me.

“Edmund it is, then…But that’s beside the point. You are not the most powerful…but you are definitely among the strongest. Fourth or fifth, I’d say, right after Abigail. And then there’s Apollomon…oh, but he isn’t himself at the moment, is he? If he were, you’d place fifth, Dominimon.”

“…You still haven’t told me what you want, Black Serpent,” I said.

“Oh, how dreadfully impolite of me to forget. Well, now…if the others were to see that one of their strongest has fallen…then would they not lose the will to continue this war…?”

“Hmph. You’re wrong; it would only strengthen their resolve,” I retorted.

“Hmph; only one way to find out, I suppose,” Jourmungandrmon said. “IceDevimon will be displeased, but you will be our only casualty until he gets what he wants!”

“What?! IceDevimon?!”

“SkullSatamon troops; to arms! I want Dominimon’s life! I want it cut short!” Jourmungandrmon roared. A countless number of the Fallen Angel Digimon materialized from the shadows, all poised to attack.

“Final Excalibur!” With but a single stroke, I cut through ten of the SkullSatamon, killing them all with ease.

“Poison River!” I held up my sword to protect myself just in time; Jourmungandrmon released a stream of purple water and a dark haze from his mouth. Some of the water splashed onto the floor, and burned through it like acid. The haze wafted over to some incensed candles, and melted them and the metal candleholder they sat upon. “DIE!” Jourmungandrmon swatted me across the room with his thick tail, sending me flying through the wall at the opposite end. Landing on my back, I dropped my sword, which Jourmungandrmon was quick to snatch up and swallow whole. I was now completely defenseless.

“…You really are making a big mistake, you know,” I said, climbing out of the rubble to face my enemies. “Lachesis will avenge any of theirs that have fallen in battle; mark my words. If you want the others to stay away from you…then you’d best leave now.”

“I’ll take your word for it, War Monk! Poison—”

“Tiger Wing Blade!” Crashing through the roof of my church, Mihiramon charged right at Jourmungandrmon, halting the enormous Digimon’s attack.

“Dominimon!” I looked up; flying through the gaping hole Mihiramon left in my church’s roof was AeroVeedramon, with Lucia and Bokomon on his back. “You idiot! Why’d you have to wait so long to come back to the fort, huh?!”

“Heh…So, you knew…Sorry about that, Mihiramon.”

“Of course I knew; I saw all of those SkullSatamon flying towards Yew! You think I was just going to ignore that?! As if! I went back home to get all of the others — well, almost all of them, since Heather’s still pregnant — so you’d better appreciate our help!”

“…I do. Thank you, Lucia,” I said.

“Heh; you really think I came alone?” Jourmungandrmon asked. “You really think these boneheads are the only Digimon I brought with me? Don’t think so low of me.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“My allies — other powerful Digimon who faithfully serve our master — have accompanied me to this city! Fenrirmon — an acquaintance to some of you, I’ve been told.”

“…So, he’s here,” Lucia murmured.

“And then there’s Darkdramon; that bloodthirsty moron no doubt disobeyed me to settle some score with a Digimon in the Black Rose Mountains,” Jourmungandrmon continued. “And finally…a big surprise…we’ve got royalty among us!”

“Yeah, but I’m pretty sure Aeg…whatever was already killed,” AeroVeedramon said.

“No, no…I mean someone of a higher position than a mere prince! We have with us, the one and only…King of Cherifia: KingChessmon!”

“Who, the coward?” AeroVeedramon yawned.

“…Yes…the coward. But he’s strong, I’ll have you know. If KingChessmon gets pushed into a corner, then expect him to strike back with enough force to destroy even me!” Jourmungandrmon exclaimed. “…Provided he doesn’t run away, that is.”

“Well, that sucks for you; you could’ve gotten the brave queen, but instead…” AeroVeedramon stifled — quite badly — a laugh. “You got that short coward!”
    “Oh, enough about KingChessmon! Let us get on with this! My plan is to take only the life of Dominimon…but if you insist on interfering, I cannot make any promises!”

“V-Breath Arrow!”

“Tiger Wing Blade!” AeroVeedramon and Mihiramon attacked with all their might, but the attacks of the two Ultimates simply bounced right off of Jourmungandrmon’s dark scales.

“Here, let me try…” Bokomon flipped through the pages of his book. “…Ah; there it is! Combat dehancement magic!” Bokomon held up an arm, and in an instant, Jourmungandrmon became enveloped in light. I could hear the serpent roar in pain as he flew back into the air. “There; that should weaken his defense for a little while!”

“Right, let’s try this again…” AeroVeedramon sighed with exhaustion, but launched a Magnum Crusher alongside Mihiramon’s Tiger Wing Blade, pushing Jourmungandrmon through the ceiling and into the open, sunset sky.

“C’mon, let’s go!” I led Bokomon and Lucia out of my church, and outside to watch the ensuing battle.

“…You just made a huge mistake,” Jourmungandrmon said. “I couldn’t do this before in that cramped little steeple…But here, in the wild blue yonder…I can go all out! Midgard Serpent!” Jourmungandrmon became cloaked in darkness, and soared towards the two Ultimate Digimon.

“Mihiramon! LOOK OUT!” Lucia screamed, but it was too late; without even touching them, Jourmungandrmon was able to sap away all of the energy from Mihiramon and AeroVeedramon, making them both fall to the ground. As they did, however, Jourmungandrmon became enveloped in light once again, and he too came crashing to the ground with a mighty thud.

“Well…that takes care of that,” Bokomon said, placing his book back inside of his pink belt.

“…You will regret this,” Jourmungandrmon said, lifting his massive head. “You will regret…invoking his wrath…” Without another word, Jourmungandrmon rose back up into the air, and flew away.

“Get back here, you son of a—”

“Lucia, enough!” I grabbed onto the woman’s shoulder, stopping her from following the serpent. “The army of SkullSatamon is still here; we need to focus on ridding Yew of the army of these Fallen Angel Digimon.”

“…Damn it, fine…Let’s do this!” Lucia exclaimed, hopping onto Mihiramon’s back; the Exalted Beast reared up, and took to the sky.

“Be careful, Lucia Delbray,” I whispered as she vanished from sight.

Chapter 110 - The King Must Die

Eleanora Kasuto

“Dino Burst!”

“Ice Archery!” Together, Crescemon and Allomon were able to wipe out a large group of Devimon that had surrounded Sparrow and me. A SkullSatamon flew down towards us, and I drew my blade from its scabbard to kill the Fallen Angel in a single strike. Behind me, Sparrow did the same to a Phelesmon with his axe.

“Damn…there’s a hell of a lot more of ‘em than last time,” Sparrow muttered. A small group of Ghoulmon circled overhead, prepared to attack.

“Sparrow, LOOK OUT!” I ran over to the large man, and tackled him to the ground to protect him from the blast from the powerful Mega Digimon. The explosion, however, did not come; I looked up just in time to see each of the Ghoulmon fall straight to the ground, each of them with an arrow at the centers of their bloody eyes.

“Whoo! Bet you enjoyed rolling around in the ground with Ellie, huh Sparrow?” Mia asked. At her side stood Aquarimon, bow in hand, along with Quetzalmon and Elizabeth.

“Please; exude more caution in the future,” Elizabeth said. “It would behoove you to travel with more compatriots for a large battle such as this.”

“Yeah…sorry about that,” I said, nervously rubbing the back of my head.

“So…how long do you plan on lying on top of Sparrow, huh?” Mia asked with a smile. Blushing, I looked down, realizing that I hadn’t moved once since shoving Sparrow away from the attack of the Ghoulmon.

“S-Sorry!” I jumped straight up to my feet, allowing Sparrow to do the same.

“Nah, don’t worry about it,” Sparrow replied. “Mia was right; I did enjoy it.”

“…Shut up.”

“Regardless, we must now devise a way of dealing with these anomalies,” Elizabeth said. I stared at the mysterious woman; her left eye, the violet one, was glowing.

…This is the second time, I thought. Back when we fought that cruel general in Cyllene. And now here, too…

“They will all…be destroyed,” Elizabeth continued.

“Elizabeth…come with me for a moment,” I said, grabbing her by the arm and dragging her away from Sparrow and Mia.

“Eleanora, is there a problem?” Elizabeth asked. Without speaking, I pointed to her violet eye.

“…That…is our problem,” I whispered.

“Whatever do you mean…?”

“Look; you probably didn’t notice, but…back in Cyllene; do you remember our encounter with that general, Agamemnon?” I asked. Slowly, Elizabeth nodded. “You kept attacking him, even after he had fallen…I had never seen you act so callously before, Lizzy…”

“…I…I’m…I’m sorry…” The eyes of the green-haired woman began to fill with tears.

“Lizzy…I don’t think it’s your fault,” I continued, gently wiping the tears from Elizabeth’s eyes. “When you were attacking him…your left eye…it was glowing.”

“…Glowing…?”

“Yes…I don’t know if that really means anything, but it happened the very first time I had ever seen you act so cruel,” I said. “…And just now…that glow returned, while you were talking about getting rid of this demon army.”

“Oh…”

“…The glow is gone now, Lizzy,” I added. “I don’t know…what it might possibly mean…I just thought I should tell you, because I don’t want to see you lose your sweet demeanor…but more than that…I don’t want you to get hurt…”

“…Thank you, Eleanora,” Elizabeth said quietly, doing her best to smile at me. I opened my mouth to speak, but I was interrupted by a Digimon running quickly between the two of us.

“Oh…? KingChessmon!” I exclaimed. The Digimon stopped running, and turned slowly around to face me.

“…E-Eleanora…y-you…you are l-looking well, d-dearie,” KingChessmon said.

“Ellie…who is this Digimon?” Elizabeth asked.

“This is KingChessmon; I met him earlier today in the Black Rose Mountains!” I said. “He healed me when I tripped and fell! And — get this — he’s the King of Cherifia Province!”

“Y-Yes…t-that, that is…t-true…”

“Are you okay, Your Majesty? You look a little shaken up,” I said.

“N-No…I-I am…fine,” KingChessmon replied. “It’s just…er, well, th-that is to say…”

“ELEANORA! GET OUT OF THE WAY!” Elizabeth screamed, pushing me to the ground as I had done earlier to Sparrow.

“Checkmate.” Where I had been standing, and explosion of light decimated the ground, leaving a small, smoldering crater in its wake.

“…KingChessmon…what…what’s going on?” I asked, slowly getting back up to my feet.

“W-Well…y-you see…I’m with them,” KingChessmon said smugly.

“No…”

“So you see, my dear…it seems as though I must destroy you,” KingChessmon said. The short Digimon leaped through the air, prepared to strike with his staff, when Elizabeth pushed me away once again. KingChessmon jabbed his staff deep into her belly, making her fall to the ground.

“…No…KingChessmon…how could you do this?!” I asked. “How could you…”

“Silence, inferior! King Stick!” KingChessmon jumped once again, prepared to attack, but I held out my sword to block his attack just in time. “Checkmate!” KingChessmon’s staff began to glow in a bright, luminous light, and I was forced backwards by a blast of light. I landed on my back, dropping my sword, and landed next to Elizabeth. As I tried to get back up, KingChessmon jumped once again and landed on my tummy, forcing me back to the ground. The tip of his staff was pointed directly at my face. “Die now…!”

“No!” Without even climbing all the way to her feet, Elizabeth reached over, and kicked KingChessmon off of my belly.

“Elizabeth…”

“Don’t worry…Just rest there, okay? I’ll take care of him!” Elizabeth brandished several of her knives seemingly from nowhere and ran as fast as she could over to KingChessmon, and began wildly attacking him, leaving him with no room to strike back, and hardly any time to protect himself. In fact, many of her jabs and strikes managed to leave quite a few scratches on KingChessmon’s body, making him yelp in surprise and pain in the process.

…Her eye isn’t glowing…then that means she must be in full control of herself, I thought. And she’s fighting him so I won’t have to…not because I’ve been hit pretty hard…She knows I couldn’t muster up the urge to truly fight back…I just can’t think of KingChessmon as an enemy, even now…

“Checkmate!” KingChessmon attacked Elizabeth with the same light that knocked me down, but unlike me, Elizabeth was fast enough to avoid the attack, and continued attacking KingChessmon. “No…! How can a Human…be this powerful?!”

“You’ll find that many of us at Lachesis are full of surprises,” Elizabeth said calmly, slashing KingChessmon across the chest with a single knife, knocking the Digimon to his back on the ground.

“No…there’s no way…I can’t…win,” KingChessmon gasped.

“I’m thrilled you were able to notice,” Elizabeth retorted.

“King Dash!” Before Elizabeth could strike him one final time, KingChessmon hopped up, and ran away in the blink of an eye.

“…Damn it…Can’t believe I let him get away,” Elizabeth muttered.

“No, don’t worry about it,” I said, walking towards the young woman. “Thank you…for helping me, Lizzy.” Elizabeth smiled at me.

“I’m glad I was able to be of assistance to you in your predicament, Eleanora,” she said.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast