2 More Digimon Adventure 20th Memorial Story Project Digimon- Rurimon & Pyontomon (& Pyontomon Plushie!)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

After seeing Ganvivormon & Aequcedramon last month (and the Aequcedramon plushie a few days ago) we've been waiting to see when/if the other 3 Digimon would be shown off.

2 more of the Digimon from the Memorial Story Project showed up today...

The top tier reward for the Digimon Adventure Memorial Story Project cost 300,000 yen (roughly $3000.)

The prize was getting a meeting with Kenji Watanabe, and based on information from the meeting, he would create 'your' Digimon partner as a new Digimon.

That would include artwork and Bandai making a one off plush toy of the Digimon for you.

First up of the new two is Rurimon, who was designed for cbc6cd08b2704a3. The name is based on the Japanese name of the Lapis Lazuli rock, which has a vivid blue color.

cbc6cd08b2704a3 also explained part of the design. When he got talk to Kenji Watanabe to tell him what he liked (to give Watanabe material to design the Digimon from), he was so nervous that almost all he said was he liked the color blue and Agumon.

Then we have Pyontomon, who was designed for moffmof. 'Pyonto' is an onomatopoeia for a rabbit hopping.

moffmof also explained that he is a big fan of rabbits, so Pyontomon being designed after the jackalope was something he loved.

We got a bit extra of Pyontomon from moffmof...

First up, the rough artwork, also showing various smaller touches for the character.

And moffmof also got the plushie and shared images of it...

Really nice looking plushie.

moffmof also made their own sprite artwork for Pyontomon and shared it...

That leaves us with 1 of the 5 Digimon currently unknown and unseen, with 3 plushies left to see also.

Attachments

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Absolutely loving Pyontomon. :love:

Rurimon looking kinda meh, like Agumon and Dorumon had a baby. :/

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rurimon is cute and I like that they gave it a mage feel, but unfortunately it reminds me too much of Dracomon and the other Dragon rookies. It's one of the cases where I feel I'd like it a lot more if it wasn't a part of an already large group of Digimon.

Pyontomon is really cute, I like that they did a Jackalope for its inspiration, and the boxing motif is pretty cool.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The first one is just Agumon with minor Dracomon elements. Reminds me of all the Sonic the Hedgehog OCs.

The rabbit is pretty cute.

Jscarlos18

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice to see the other designs, sad that even with the extra parts Rurimon is yet another Agumon/Dracomon design variant. We only have the plushies of 2 of them but I imagine Bandai will release photos of all of them in time.

Have they said if they're gonna add these to the reference book?

Momentai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Again, really nice project, but at this point there are plenty of new rookies (or apparently rookies at least) without specific digivolutions. I would like even more to see a development of their lines. "Don't leave them alone!"

Also, that Rurimon has to be a variation of Agumon. It reminds me of a wizard-version of Agumon Expert with Petit Mamon vibes.

Really curious how the answers to the question "what Digimon do you want me to create?" have been so simplicistic. I've never thought about a personal answer, but I'm shure it wouldn't just be "I like agumon" or "I like rabbits". This is not to be critical, it's just an observation, and of course I don't know the age of those people.

Geode

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally its about time I so love these two Rurimon is awsome think of the possible evolution lines with it and Poyntomon is awsome too imagine it Digivolving to Prairimon or Rabbitmon.

I wonder when the last well come out.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ooh, I've always thought a jackalope Digimon would be cool, and Pyontomon is a real cute one. Rurimon... well, I guess they can't all be hits.

I'm also curious about the creation process for these guys. Like, how much creative input do the backers get? Was it just like, give Watanabe a few basic ideas or things you'd like to see and then he gets final say on it? Or were they allowed to get really in depth with it?

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Rurimon is the Witchelny version of Agumon...

Pyontomon is a jackalope digimon?! Nice. It actually gives off a Digimon vibe this time.

IndustrialPanic

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, didn't expect to see more new digimon so soon, not that I'm complaining!

Anyway, now for the digimon themselves, I have very contrasting opinions about both of them. Starting with Rurimon, and I hate to say it, but I ain't really a fan of this guy. It's way too derivative from other preexisting dragon, like Muur said, it looks more a sonic oc type of thing rather than an serious attempt at character design (tho that might be a little to harsh on my part). It's actually kinda of funny, if he was called something like "FantasyAgumon" or whatever, I probably would dig it a lot more, but since it's apparently trying to be it's own thing, Rurimon falls flat on it's face.

As for Pyontomon, however, it's a completely different story! It's a bunny digimon, something that we already have, but that still manages to feel distinct and unique. It has elements that some might call similar to that of Gaomon, but unlike Rurimon, those similarities make it look like a rival or part of a larger group of similar angy fighting pets, instead of making it look like part of the same family but not actually being. Overall I really, REALLY like Pyontomon and definitively wouldn't complain if he was my partner.

Also, has Bandai said if they were going to add this guys to the reference book, or are they just for this plushies and nothing elses? 'Cuz even if the other digimon from the memorial project didn't really stick with me the same way Pyontomon did, it would still be sad to see them go and be forgotten after this is done and over...

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So far there’s been no indication that any of these Digimon will be treated as canon.

Edit: Actually, I think the Pyontomon tweet says it’s based on a cryptid because no one’s sure if it’s “real” or not.

SparkGold

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this dude really paid $3,000 just to fumble his words and say he likes blue Agumons. I just.... I feel both exasperation and ironic love towards something like that happening. However, from what I assume was Watanabe wanting to make it feel more distinct, it does seem go have elements to it which can easily add to Witchelny's backstory so I'm actually eagerly awaiting to see this Digimon again as the small magician details make it super interesting to me!
I really like Pyontomon. It reminds me of the character designs of the avatars in the movie Summer Wars

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
this dude really paid $3,000 just to fumble his words and say he likes blue Agumons. I just.... I feel both exasperation and ironic love towards something like that happening.
Not if you finally get a chance to confront your favorite book/anime/manga/etc's author or something like that and when you quiver at their godly presences gracing your permission granted to witness their beloved works. So yeah?

Did I think too much of this?

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, the person who asked for a blue agumon definitely didn't get as much out of the money they paid compared to everyone else... Hopefully they are happy with it either way?

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Visually, Rurimon may just look like yet another protagonist/anniversary dragon, but conceptually, I like its emphasis on magic. It's a welcome departure from all the other Child reptiles that rely on brute strength and/or fire breath.

Absolutely loving Pyontomon. :love:

Rurimon looking kinda meh, like Agumon and Dorumon had a baby. :/
Sounds like an insult to Dorumon. Between its mammalian features, spitting metal balls, and being a Data-type, it actually seems like one of the more unique protagonist dragons. And really, aside from the wings, I don't see it. Looks far more like it took from Dracomon.

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's actually kinda of funny, if he was called something like "FantasyAgumon" or whatever, I probably would dig it a lot more, but since it's apparently trying to be it's own thing, Rurimon falls flat on it's face.

Also, has Bandai said if they were going to add this guys to the reference book, or are they just for this plushies and nothing elses? 'Cuz even if the other digimon from the memorial project didn't really stick with me the same way Pyontomon did, it would still be sad to see them go and be forgotten after this is done and over..
It is a little weird, but then I thought, Commandramon is kind of like a military Guilmon, so I can role with Mage Agumon.

While there's no straight confirmation, I vaguely recall something along the lines of "Bandai retaining the rights to them" somewhere (maybe these forums or twitter). And there's a precedent for fan-made mons being used commonly (Cyberdramon, Soundbirdmon etc), so I don't see why they wouldn't be used.

YutoTerumi

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the one dude spent 3000 dollars to say Blue+Agumon. 🤦‍♂️

SparkGold

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Visually, Rurimon may just look like yet another protagonist/anniversary dragon, but conceptually, I like its emphasis on magic. It's a welcome departure from all the other Child reptiles that rely on brute strength and/or fire breath.
100% this. Aequecedramon is a more inspired design for a blue dragon but Rurimon has such a more interesting potential for background and combat capabilities

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That basically looks like someone took Agumon art, added horns and wings and played around with hue and saturation lol.

Pyontomon is cute and edgy, a very balanced design, though as with Aequecedramon, the proportions on the concept art and plushie are much better than the final art.