2 Appmon Manga Series Starting Soon, Update- More information and Image

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yep, we get 2 manga, not 1 (there were whiffs of this earlier, but we weren't 100% sure before.) It appears neither has an announced title yet.

First up...

Image Thumbnail

The first manga appears to feature Haru and Gatchmon.

It begins September 21st in V-Jump and the mangaka is Akamine Naoki. He won the "Treasured Newcomer Prize" from Shonen Jump in 2010 with the one shot "Arashi nochi Kimi", which was featured in Shonen Jump in June of 2010. He also has featured a Digimon image on what we think is his pixiv.

Image Thumbnail

The second appears to just star the Appmon.

It begins October 1st in Saikyo Jump and the mangaka is Hirose Katsuki. Katsuki is most known for doing the manga "Dragon Ball Discross Jinryoku God Max!!" a spinoff of the arcade game Dragon Ball Discross.

More details are sure to come soon (hopefully names and plot details.)

Thanks to Exiles for pointing it out and to Digimon_info for the images.

Update- We have some basic information on the two manga now.

Image Thumbnail

The first manga, as expected, is Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters and will be an adaption of the story of the anime. Whether it is a straight adaption or tweaked, ala Xros Wars or DB Super, isn't yet known.

The second manga, Appmon Gakuen (Appmon School or Appmon Academy) will be a manga about all the Appmon going to school together. It appears this may be a gag manga, but not 100% sure at the moment.

Thanks to theigno for making us aware of the Animate article about it.

Spongebond

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice. Been a while since new Digimon manga came out. This actually has me more interested than the Anime itself. Especially with the first one. Sounds like the Mang Author is new but good.

TheJudge

Banned
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really hate the idea of these Appmon things...

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's your prerogative, but there's no need to take a whole post just to say that.

prismblack91

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope its just as good as the xros wars one.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Too bad Nakashima isn’t back on the case, but apparently Sōten no Soura is still going strong, so God bless him. Well, Digimon​ manga have yet to disappoint. Keep in mind that Saikyō Jump is currently a bimonthly, and that Nakashima’s ×ros Wars special that appeared there was essentially a one-off, so the Appmon-only manga may only be a single chapter, or a two-chapter affair like the first Re:Digitize manga. By the way, what did ever end up happening with Encode?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've wondered about Encode myself. I think I remember hearing somewhere that it had died from a terminal case of no one giving a shit, which is sad if true.

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
^I remember hearing it went on hiatus because the author fell ill? Though I haven't been paying attention admittedly so I'm not sure if it's true.

So far looking at the two, I still like the XW manga's art the most, though it's a bit early to tell how the actual manga will turn out haha. Still I'm liking the revealed Appmon cast so far so I'm excited about the manga too..!

KaenKazui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I will probably pick up the first VJump with the Manga. Dunno whether I'll buy it regularily, though. Vjump is pretty expensive in Germany right now.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Both of these mangas could be good... or not.
I guess the first one would be the more prominent one since it's more entangled with the anime, same protagonists and all but if the second one really focuses exclusively on the Appmon themselves that would make it my number one priority maybe even over the anime and games... simply because I view focusing too much on humans can be detrimental and Digimon can (or even should) easily be about just Digimon doing Digimon things (or Appmon doing Appmon things, not much difference to me) and I welcome any attempt of the franchise, like X-evo or the Crusader Aegiomon story, that goes in that direction.
At least that's what I thought until I noticed that the second manga was running in Saikyo Jump... one chapter every two months is bad enough and generally nothing in the Saikyo lineup seems appealing to me in the least. Most of the bigger flagship manga seem to be random non-canon gag spinoffs of more popular works. And gag manga with nothing else going for them are pretty much the type of manga I enjoy reading the least... except hardcore lolicon and yaoi stuff maybe. So if the second Appmon manga keeps with that theme and ends up just being "that wacky sideshow" I probably won't be interested in it at all beyond my basic compulsion to consume any Digimon related media regardless of quality.
But I guess there's still a little hope that it'll turn out to be something a bit more ambitious than that... maybe.

So it's possible that Manga no.1 will end up being my favourite after all... from what I've seen of the mangakas art, the quality seems good enough except for one issue and that is the fact that sometimes his human designs look like their eyes try to escape their faces to the side. That'd be annoying to look at but maybe that was just the artist not polishing up his art on pixiv and his professional works might look better.

I just think it would be nice to have another V-Tamer length manga and I don't imagine any of these two shaping up to fit the bill. Not that I didn't enjoy the shorter 4 Volume manga after V-tamer; they were fun action rides but in general, while it's not as bad as some rushed oneshot, I still feel that with only 4 volumes there's no time to develop the world and all the characters to a degree that would actually satisfy me or, to bring up a more specific comparison, they don't nearly has as much time for world building and character development that their accompanying 50+ episode anime (and I guess it's debatable how well some of the Digimon seasons used that time). But then again that kind of "symbiotic" relationship between the stories could also help covering up some of those weaknesses as the anime could introduce concepts events and other things that the Manga can apply without investing as much time introducing them.
At the same time it's that kind of dependence on another part of the franchise that inherently limits the "lifespan" of a manga like that. V-tamer was a special case that, despite having "Adventure" in its name established its own unique world and setting independently of the anime or anything else, so it was able to outlast multiple "generations" of Digimon anime without feeling out of place. But those Appmon manga just like the Xros Wars manga and arguably Next (due to many shared connections with savers) before them will probably only run as long as Appmon is still the focus of the franchise. Of course we don't know for how long Bandai and Toei Plan to make this Appmon phase last but I highly doubt it will be anywhere near long enough to get the manga to a V-tamer level. I mean part of that is also that Digimon Mangas seem to be confined to V-jump, which is a monthly publication (and as mentioned before, saikyo jump is bimonthly, so spread even thinner). So even with the XW manga running for over 2 years it only accumulated about 22 chapters which is obviously not comparable to the volume of material that a weekly published can offer within the same time. Of course Monthly manga might have longer chapters on average than weekly ones but it's still far from a one to one conversion.

So well... another pretty good 4 or so Volumes long manga is probably the best we can expect out of this, maybe even less.

Last edited:

jeffinitelyjeff

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If you want to see an English release of either of these, the most efficient way to is to send feedback to Viz Media (the US child company of Shueisha, the publisher of these magazines, which handles most English translations of their series) letting them know that you hope they publish these in English (either through physical+digital volume releases or individual digital chapters on the Shonen Jump site). To send feedback, go to http://www.viz.com and click the "Customer Service" link in the footer. There's not really a precedent for Shueisha Digimon manga being licensed in English, so I seriously doubt it would be considered without getting lots of requests from fans.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay. More manga. Hope this is good. Since the Xros Wars one was so different but also really good. ...Is the Appmon only manga more of a 4-Koma or gag manga? Do we know yet?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated the news post with some basic information on the mangas, including titles, along with small, but clean, versions of the promotional images.