19th Anniversary of Digimon Frontier!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Time for another anniversary! It's April 7th in Japan, so Digimon Frontier began 19 years ago on April 7th, 2002!

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

Frontier was a show that both tried to go back to the anime roots of something akin to Adventure, but also trying numerous new things, including not having Digimon partners.

The show went back to the lost/trapped in the digital world adventure, and 5 kids were joined by 2 Digimon for most of the series (with other characters joining later.) Frontier did a lot of interesting things, but it's always been questioned how 'well' they did them, with a sticking point for many people being that the majority of the cast never seemed to have much, if anything to do, but the show overall is still a pretty amusing watch.

Frontier was the end of the original run of the anime, but it did proudly make it thru it's product line (with some impressive releases near the end) and not burn the franchise out. Various Digimon products not only continued to come out after Frontier ended, but Frontier itself was popular enough that after it's ending, there were attempts in both the US and China to do continuations of Frontier (a cancelled manhua in China, and a new toyline in the US that would have story content.) The 2004/2005 'no affiliated show' toyline in the US used a modified version of Bandai's Digimon Frontier toyline logo and had a number of Frontier products in it.

It feels like in recent years Frontier has had more fans. During it's original run it wasn't quite as easy to watch in the US, as part of Disney's One Too block after the end of Fox Kids, and it never even aired in the UK (they only got DVDs a few years ago.)

Frontier has been caught in the position in recent years of having relatively very little, likely because with interest being elsewhere it simply hasn't made sense to do much in the way of dedicated products. Frontier characters showed up in various 20th Anniversary brand products, recent V-Pets, and even appeared in recent games, but fans continue to hope for a fancy figure, updated D-Scanner, or something else. The Frontier Blu-ray box a few years ago, which included a new audio drama, was a big item.

A bit of a fun time for Frontier fans to share their thoughts on the show.

The Digimon Frontier Blu-ray box is still available to order: (Affiliate link)
Digimon Frontier Blu-ray Box

We did a full breakdown of the Digimon Frontier Blu-ray box, along with the new audio drama translated, like we do for many media releases, including the Tamers Blu-ray Box. If you are able to, donating or joining our Patreon can be a big help.

We also did a breakdown of the Digimon the Movies box a few years ago. This contains the Frontier movie.

The Movies Box got split apart into singles a few years ago, and everything is still available, including the full box: (Affiliate link)
Digimon the Movies Blu-ray Box
Digimon Adventure Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Adventure 02 Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Tamers Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Frontier & Digimon Savers Movies Blu-ray

Attachments

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually watched Frontier not too long ago.

It was a pretty decent watch and I loved the concept of Spirit Evolution. It is a shame that the Spirits didn't really appear in video games and whatnot until very recently.

Umaro

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Frontier isn't my favorite Digimon anime but it was still pretty fun and I don't get why everyone seems to hate it. (Well, yeah, because there aren't any cute monsters following the characters lol)

Kyaromonfan96

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Frontier isn't my favorite Digimon anime but it was still pretty fun and I don't get why everyone seems to hate it. (Well, yeah, because there aren't any cute monsters following the characters lol)
Kumamon is the cute monster.

Vittorini

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to admit: I never tried this season and the dvd box is still sealed.

I am way too attached to the idea of a partner and the concept of being stronger together.

That being said, the various designs are pretty cool.

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I followed Frontier during the UPN/syndication days and it’s been close to my heart ever since. I loved the concept of Spirit Evolution and Kouichi’s remained one of my favorite characters in the franchise.

I know people have differing opinions about the series but the music was truly top tier...The Last Element, With the Will, FIRE, An Endless Tale, and Innocent are all-time favorites for me. The dub itself was pretty inoffensive (and we got dubs of Movies 4-7 during this period so I can’t complain too much) but I could do without ever hearing the Frontier dub theme and evolution music again. ^^;;

Last edited:

Blaziken257

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unpopular but it's my favorite series. It definitely has flaws (ex: the other characters being just cheerleaders in the latter half) but I just love the concept since it's like Power Rangers but Digimon.

DragonicEmperor

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, my second favorite series (Used to be my favorite until Tamers overtook it but I still hold it close to my heart). A shame we never really got any spotlight on any part of it, other than a handful of Fire and Light spirits making some game cameos.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, Frontier is a special series for me. On the one hand I do acknowledge it's flaws. Most of the cast gets sidelined pointlessly, the Royal Knights arc feels like a slog, and the lack of the partners is something that feels off when compared to the rest of the series. On the other hand, this was the first series I've watched of Digimon as I saw it on reruns when I visited my aunt's house and I got into the series for its designs, lore, and some of the villains. It's what shown me that the Digimon franchise was more then what I thought it was, and if it wasn't for this series I may not have been a Digimon fan at all. So warts and all, I still enjoy Frontier, and I'll always hold it up for the positives it gave me as a show and what it meant for me as a Digimon fan.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Frontier to me still has some of the best Japanese songs among all the different series.

The concept of Spirit Evolution was pretty novel and I remember daydreaming about transforming into a Digimon all Power Rangers style back as a kid. Still has many fond memories for me.

Amandil7

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not a very popular opinion, but Frontier was probably my favorite Digimon series.

I just loved the lore behind it and the World Building. It gave us the 3 Great Angels, Royal Knights, a Demon Lord and a Digital World that seemed so alive.

The characters were so interesting, Takuya is probably my favorite goggle head. Cherubimon and Lucemon made for interesting villains.

My main gripe was how repetitive things got when they were trying to fight the Royal Knights and how the non main two became suddenly useless and did not even get their fusion forms. So it did stumble in that regard!

Partly why I love the new Adventure 2020 series is because they have a very similar backstory to Frontier with an ancient war and Holy Digimon involved.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a weird season. Also near when I found this place. But while this was weird, it has the favorite character of my best friend and one of my favorite characters. So it's very much like Appmon in how different things are.