With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The With the Will Podcast Episode 28 Special- Hangin' with Mr. Nimoy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The With the Will Podcast Episode 28 Special- Hangin' with Mr. Nimoy

Time for a special podcast!

Marc and AR talk to Jeff Nimoy about his nearly 20 year history with the brand! Jeff tells us a bunch of great stories from everything Digimon he's worked on!

After that Jeff answers some of the questions you guys sent in!

The news will be back next time!

There were a handful of Skype related issues, tried to smooth them out in the recording.

The Youtube version of the show has title cards with images so you guys can follow along visually with the topics on the show!

You can support us on Patreonand chat with us on Discord!

Affiliate links for Digimon items of interest on Amazon.com:
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 1 Blu-ray Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 1 DVD
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 Blu-ray Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 2 DVD
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 Blu-ray Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 3 DVD
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 Blu-ray Combo
    Digimon Adventure tri. Part 4 DVD
    Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon
    Digivolving Spirits MetalGarurumon
    Digivolving Spirits Angewomon
    Digivolving Spirits Alphamon

Show notes, downloads, and the RSS feed can be found at http://podcast.withthewill.net/post/28

This episode was recorded on March 7th, 2018.

Questions for future episodes can be sent to podcast@withthewill.net.

We can be found on iTunes, Google Play, and most podcasting apps (feel free to suggest one if you don't see us there.)

For those who like watching their podcasts on Youtube, the episode is embedded up above. Let us know what you think of the embedded images.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    You got Nimoy? impressive

edit: I had a listen. was pretty fun
    Last edited by Muur; 03-10-2018 at 05:39 PM.

This was a fun listen. Always nice to hear the behind the scenes bits of voice acting. It's also incredible to hear all of the hard work that goes behind it too, trying to direct and produce a show.

Digimon Adventure tri. part 6, Our Future!
    Coming out May 5th, Children's Day!
    [Art by http://dejitarugeeto02.tumblr.com/]

I was surprised how how little he knew of the franchise himself but I guess he's right, it IS just a job to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    I was surprised how how little he knew of the franchise himself but I guess he's right, it IS just a job to him.
    I think people underestimate just how important it is to have a professional do the work.

If it's a professional that loves 'it' that's great.

But there's nothing wrong with having someone who simply wants to do a good job and takes pride in that. He has affection for the brand as he's worked on it a lot, and gotten to come back for it, and it's been fulfilling to him and his career.

Look at Wrath of Khan. It's still generally considered the best Trek film. The director was completely unfamiliar with it when he took the job. He looked thru what he needed to make it work (and of course, came back to Trek a number of times over the years.)
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

The main thing I didn't get was him keep saying something about how Data Squad was Izzy running a simulation? He seemed really serious about it but that is never brought up during the series

The main thing I didn't get was him keep saying something about how Data Squad was Izzy running a simulation? He seemed really serious about it but that is never brought up during the series
    It's come up in the past when he talked about it. Generally speaking Data Squad was a 'straight' dub. As in, it didn't have plot tweaks, etc. in general, so any ideas Jeff had were things he had in his head as to how it worked, but didn't necessary end up 'on screen.'

The idea Jeff had was roughly that everything we saw was a 'simulation', being run for the Nth time by Izzy, while he was looking for a solution to something.

This is apparently why Mona Marshall was King Drasil. The initial 'setup' of the world was programmed by Izzy. Marcus and Agumon 'winning' at the end seemingly gives Izzy whatever information he was looking for, so the world continues on.

This is stuff that didn't end up in the show due to how it was produced, but it's Nimoy's 'word of god' as to what he was thinking at the time as to what Data Squad was.

That's now been further clarified/winked to, roughly, 'hey, it's what Izzy is doing in tri. Part 3!'

Of course, my explanation was just a quicky paraphrasing of it...

We actually have it Jeff's own word from a decade ago (which was reposted on WtW by Vande), which I'm quoting here...

Now I want to preface this with saying the following isn’t what definitely happened in the series, but it’s what I think could have happened, and so I wrote and directed it with this in mind. Also, in no way did I change the premise from what the original creators intended. This was just something I interpreted on my own. So I cast one particular actress in one particular role to satisfy my creative urge, and open up the possibilities of interpretation.

If you noticed in the last episodes of Digimon Data Squad, Mona Marshall played the voice for the computer version of King Drasil. Mona also played the computer genius Izzy in the first two seasons of Digimon, which I directed in addition to this recent fifth season. I never worked on seasons 3 & 4, but I had heard that season 3's plot line involved the first two seasons turning out to be actual TV shows that the new characters watched.

So, in pure Digimon style, I’d like to imagine that since all the characters, digimon, and story lines from Digimon Data Squad were unrelated to any other season of Digimon (for instance, in seasons 1 & 2 Agumon was the same, but in Digimon Data Squad he was a different Agumon, in a different universe), that in “reality,” all of Digimon Data Squad was nothing more than a computer program created by Izzy. Since Izzy’s universe was all I knew of Digimon, and I didn’t work on Tamers, this is my nod to the creators of Digimon.

So the way I imagined it, in the Digimon future, conflict erupts between humans and digimon, and the two worlds declare war on each other. Looking for an end to the fighting, Izzy creates his own computer program, a mini cyber-universe, that runs on its own, to see if one day, humans and digimon in his program can figure out how to live together in peace. He intends to use the results in his own world if he’s successful. But it ends up the same, time and time again, with the two sides destroying each other. So Izzy keeps rebooting the system and starts the experiment over again in a new virtual universe. However this time something fascinating happens; some digimon and humans in the program actually team up to try to stop Izzy from rebooting. Izzy sees this as the break through he’s been waiting for, so he stops his plans to re-boot, and he let’s the program run a little longer to see what they do next in order to live together in peace.

Again, I’m not saying this happened, and I’m not saying this is what the creators planned, but I’m just saying, by having Izzy’s voice coming out of the computerized King Drasil, then perhaps it’s not too far a stretch to imagine the scenario I interpreted. By the way, did you notice that every form of King Drasil was voiced with a computerized sounding effect, hinting that in the end, he might be a computer himself? Next time you watch the series, pay closer attention to the dialogue when they talk about King Drasil. He lives in the Server Tree, which Thomas figures out is a giant computer running the Digital World, etc., etc. The hints of a conspiracy theory are there. I should know; I put them there!

I hope you all enjoyed watching “Digimon Data Squad” as much as I enjoyed making it. –Jeff Nimoy

Fair play to him he seemed to have fun with that but I'm not gonna count it lol cuz it's kinda dumb to make it so Marcus exists like that. Plus it'd be weird if they did dub Hunters. "Wait didn't I program you?"

Fair play to him he seemed to have fun with that but I'm not gonna count it lol cuz it's kinda dumb to make it so Marcus exists like that. Plus it'd be weird if they did dub Hunters. "Wait didn't I program you?"
    You realize in the franchise half the characters are from digital data in the first place right?

Takato literally knows who some of them are based on him seeing a TV show (which oddly we were never sure was meant to be canon until Hunters.)

Fans love to get 'word of god' type info, unless they disagree with it.

Obviously you don't have to count it, it wasn't on screen/in the show. It's information that is there if someone wants to think about it, it's not something that solidly counts.

'Word of god' is and has always been insight into people's minds and things that in the long run may or may not count.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Great interview! His behind the scenes stories were funny, especially how his leak of the Tri dub recording was what got Joshua Seth back in the game.

I have no doubt that May will disagree, but I believe he answered the Best Girl question correctly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast