With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Digivolving Spirits 02 MetalGarurumon- Breakdown, Scans, and Photos

Digivolving Spirits 02 MetalGarurumon- Breakdown, Scans, and Photos

Well, the shipping delay was only a few days this time...

The second Digivolving Spirits figure, MetalGarurumon!

Released in January in Japan and February in the US, Digivolving Spirits 02 MetalGarurumon continues the Digivolving Spirits toyline.

Much like WarGreymon, MetalGarurumon puts a focus on giving the appearance of the original figure, while being a nicer figure overall.

The scans went mostly fine, minus that the box is slightly slippery to the touch. Luckily I remembered this from WarGreymon and took it into account when I was scanning it. Outside of this the only issue was just how large the instruction sheet was (massive.)

First up, the packaging.

The scan of the front of the box is at the top of the article. A photo of the front is included here.

The front of the box has a clean style to it with some nice flair, which matches the branding we first saw with WarGreymon. The logo for the line has been a combined English/Japanese logo since we first saw it, and just below is the name of the figure (along with his lower form and the part of the franchise he's from just above.) Having the number underneath so huge is no doubt to help it stand out well on a shelf side by side with other Digivolving Spirits figures.

Up in the top left corner we also get a reflective Diecast Evolution 'plate' that they're putting on figures in the line to show off it having diecast metal. The bottom right corner has company logos, along with the Digimon Adventure logo.

The high point of the front has to be the new artwork by longtime Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe. The artwork of Gabumon and MetalGarurumon is designed to have little touches and flourishes based on the figure itself (most notable in this case would be Gabumon's feet as the launchers, and the general design of Gabumon, including the split on his tail.)

It stands out well from many other collector's figures by showing some great art instead of just showing us the figure.

The sides of the box feature the different forms of the figure, along with bits of the artwork that go past the front of the box (in the case of the back of MetalGarurumon.)

A nice touch is the eight crest symbols on the right side of the box with Gabumon.

The top has the logo, along with silhouettes for the figures. Very basic and nice.

The bottom has various legal and informational details.

The only notable difference between Japanese and US figure stock is here. Bluefin, the US distributor for Tamashii products, including Digivolving Spirits, has added a small label with various information they need to incldue.

The back of the box features various text and logo touches from the front, along with some nice images of the figure itself.

Most of the text is in both English and Japanese, and the small amount that isn't is the basic profile information for Gabumon and MetalGarurumon that we've all seen a number of times.

We also get a small preview of the second figure in the line, Diablomon!

When the top of the box is opened there are flaps on either side.

The left flap shows MetalGarurumon, along with a crest of friendship symbol. This is included with cut guidelines in case they decide to do a campaign in the future that requires proof of purchase.

The right flap features Gabumon! Gabumon is asking buyers to fill out the survey that's included with the instructions.

There is one more flap actually...

There is a small flap on the top of the box that folds behind the back of the box. All it has is a little bit of text...

Gabumon, Warp Evolve~! MetalGarurumon!!
    A 100% unnecessary touch that most people will likely never even notice. But it's a very fun thing to have there, same as on the WarGreymon box (it'll be interesting to see what some future boxes do for this.)

Then we have the instruction sheet included.

The instructions are a single sheet printed on both sides, folded in half twice.

The instruction sheet is in Japanese, but with key bits in English.

The survey that was mentioned is a link to an online survey instead of an actual physical form to fill out.

One touch that is nice is where they sketch outlines and slightly white out areas they are talking about it to make it extra clear what parts they are referring to.

The instructions overall appear reasonably clear, but I wish the whole thing was translated.

Also, a difference compared to WarGreymon. The figure used for the instructions on WarGreymon was complete (or at least near complete), while the MetalGarurumon figure used here looks to be an unpainted prototype.)

MetalGarurumon's instructions are printed oversized, to the point it was actually difficult to scan them properly, even folded in half (they barely fit in the box they came in.) Some additional tweaking was done to the instruction sheet scans to improve how they look.

As for the figure itself...

We have a thread for the figure, and we have people in the community who photograph figures far better than me, so hopefully some good shots will show up there soon. If not I'll pull MetalGarurumon out and do proper photos in both forms as best as I can...

But I couldn't help myself to take a few from the figure still in the plastic shell once I removed that from the box.

Packaged as MetalGarurumon, but not 100% transformed yet (for more solid shipping), the figure is actually closer to being transformed than WarGreymon. MetalGarurumon is packaged quite well.

Removing the front of the shell lets you more clearly see the figure. MetalGarurumon looks a bit more striking than WarGreymon, mostly because the original MetalGarurumon figure looked somewhat lackluster, so simply seeing a design that looks better makes him look far more impressive (the original figure always looked a bit thin and sickly to me.)

MetalGarurumon continues the line well, not to mention that, based on comments from Tamashii, this is the last one where they are looking to do the new figures based heavily on the look of figures from the original toyline. Beginning the line with pseudo-remakes of the old figures was a great way to begin the new line, and the figures they chose to do that for ended up looking fantastic.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The figure is still available to order:
    Digivolving Spirits MetalGarurumon at Amazon USA
    Digivolving Spirits MetalGarurumon at CDJapan (currently not available, may change)

Diablomon, Angewomon, and Alphamon are already up for pre-order.
    And we've seen prototypes and/or art for: AtlurKabuterimon, HolyAngemon, Garudamon, Lilymon, Zudomon, Dukemon, and Ouryumon.

Plus we have a teaser for the next three...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

I'm still looking forward to every figure we've seen.

The images can all be found in the gallery.

The scans are small compared to the master scans I did (the work and backup folder structure for the scans and photos ended up being 17 gigs.)

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the figure.

If you want to discuss the figure itself there is a discussion thread here.

Also, prior to the release of the figure, Tamashii put up a nice article showing off the figure, along with a transformation video narrated by Volcano Ota:
    Preview of Digivolving Spirits MetalGarurumon with Video

And if you want to order or pre-order other Digivolving Spirits...

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

#01 WarGreymon (Affiliate links):
    Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon at Amazon USA
    Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon at CDJapan (currently not available, may change)

#03 Diablomon (Affiliate link): Out March 24th in Japan
    Digivolving Spirits #03 Diablomon at CDJapan

#04 Angewomon (Affiliate links): Out May in Japan
    Digivolving Spirits #04 Angewomon at CDJapan
    Digivolving Spirits #04 Angewomon at Amazon USA

#05 Alphamon (Affiliate link): Out July in Japan
    Digivolving Spirits #05 Alphamon at CDJapan
    Digivolving Spirits #05 Alphamon At Amazon USA
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Nice job on all the info and scans. Do you think these are selling well versus figuarts? Iím really hopeful that the sales are high across the globe because I want them to at least finish the original 8. I would LOVE a complete Digivolving Spirits collection. Diaboromon, Alphamon, and Gallantmon are bonuses. If the line gets completed and sells well I could definitely see them doing Hakkmon to Jesmon and maybe even Meicoomon to Rasielmon.

"Dumb old stupid texas"
    Diaboromon gives me hope for more villains
    though aside from a new beelzemon to go with galantmon I really want a Lucemon digivolving spirits
    which will probably never happen
    i would love lucemon to fallen mode but it would be more likely for a lucemon shellformer into satan mode