With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion about Agumon entering the new Smash Bros?

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    We've already got the final base roster, and the five upcoming DLC characters have already been decided by Nintendo. Due to licensing issues with third party characters (they apparently had a hard time getting Cloud back, for example) I highly doubt any of them are going to be third party characters like Agumon.

Sakurai himself has also asked, via Twitter, for people to stop flooding him with characters requests. And frankly, cries for the likes of Waluigi, Geno, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Banjo & Kazooie, have been much, much louder than they have been for Agumon. Also Goku, being the hugely popular character that he is, isn't appearing in Smash at all because of his origins from manga as opposed to videogames.

I think it's safe to say that Agumon's chances are pretty much slim to none.
    Last edited by wildwing64; 11-25-2018 at 02:26 AM.

I don't think having more "vocal fan base" helps here.

Now Digimon vs Pokémon in a million times biggers than simple vocal fan base.

And did you know that Sakurai created a Tamagotchi in 2005 , based on the Digimon Tamagotchis?

No its not.
    Licensing issues? What licensing issues?
    You are talking about Bandai Namco licensing issues?
    Becouse Bandai Namco developed Smash Ultimate, and they already have Pacman there.

Agumons chances are realy big right now.
    If you count the fact that Digimon have a new Game on Nintendo Switch in 2019, they could put Agumon there to help the game sell more.

And this Eevee Tamagotchi, if Agumon enter Smash as a Tamagotchi character this will for sure help the Pokémon Tamagotchi sell as well.
    Last edited by Theigno; 11-25-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Stop double posting...

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Graizen View Post
    I don't think having more "vocal fan base" helps here.
    No, it doesn't guarentee a character's inclusion in Smash.

That said, we got Ridley; an iconic Nintendo villain with a huge demand to be playable, to the point where his size being an issue became an internet meme. Sadly, Agumon doesn't even come close to that level of infamy beyond being the "Charmander ripoff".

Now Digimon vs Pokmon in a million times biggers than simple vocal fan base.
    I think you're overestimating.

Let's face it; unlike Mario vs Sonic, this fandom rivalry only exists because of the TV shows. Mario and Sonic were corporate mascots directly competing with each other to sell games consoles. Pokemon's never exactly had that issue, as its always been a system seller for Nintendo's handhelds. Digimon as a videogame franchise has always been obscure by comparison, and some games never even got released here in Europe. Let's not forget that there was nearly a decade-long gap between Cyber Sleuth and Dawn/Dusk being released outside of Japan.

Again, Sakurai's "no non-game characters" rule preventing Goku's inclusion applies. Arguably, Agumon qualifies in the same way Mr. Game & Watch does. But if he's going to be based on any particular variation, it's going to be closer to either his v-pet or videogame depiction, and certainly not the anime version despite that being more well-known.

And did you know that Sakurai created a Tamagotchi in 2005 , based on the Digimon Tamagotchis?
    Correction: a Tamagotchi-esque virtual pet. Tamagotchi is the name of the franchise from which Digimon spawned from, not the type of product itself.

While it's true that he worked on such a thing, the Mushiking v-pet has no relation whatsoever to the actual Tamagotchi product line, and in turn has nothing to do with Digimon beyond a vague similarity.

No its not.
    Licensing issues? What licensing issues?
    You are talking about Bandai Namco licensing issues?
    Becouse Bandai Namco developed Smash Ultimate, and they already have Pacman there.
    I was mainly referring to licensing issues with Final Fantasy's Cloud. Word is, it took a lot of persuasion with Square Enix, and they were being difficult in negotiations, and he just barely made the cut for Ultimate. Also of note, only 2 of Ultimate's 800+ music tracks are from Final Fantasy. Another highly requested Square Enix character, Sora (as in, the guy from Kingdom Hearts), is likely not being included for similar reasons, not to mention the strong ties to Disney being an even bigger hurdle that would prevent his addition to the Smash Bros roster.

Yes, Pac-Man was added as a Bandai Namco representative. Ignoring the fact that Pac-Man is one of the most famous videogames of all time, that doesn't automatically guarentee another Bamco character being added.

Point being: if the companies involved aren't interested in X third party character being added, then they're simply not going to appear.

If you count the fact that Digimon have a new Game on Nintendo Switch in 2019, they could put Agumon there to help the game sell more.
    I don't disagree, in fact that would be a fantastic opportunity to put Digimon Survive in the spotlight. But again, Nintendo has already decided who those five DLC fighters are going to be. And I think they're more likely to include their own characters, shifting sales of their own games.

And this Eevee Tamagotchi, if Agumon enter Smash as a Tamagotchi character this will for sure help the Pokmon Tamagotchi sell as well.
    The fact that a Pokemon Tamagotchi exists is certainly ironic, but the Pokemon brand name is strong enough to sell itself. Agumon wouldn't have anything to do with any success of the Eevee-pet.

Agumons chances are realy big right now.
    No, they're really not.

Don't get me wrong: Agumon is one of my favourite characters of all time, and I would love to see him in Smash. But I just don't think it's going to happen. Maybe he's not being considered because of the Pokemon vs Digimon thing. From what I've seen, there isn't actually a whole lot of fanfare for him compared to several other characters, like those I mentioned before, who either didn't make the cut or were only included as Assist Trophies. Or, again, fother-muckin' Ridley who was a very popular request and ultimately added to the roster. And let me reiterate the following two facts one more time:

1. Nintendo has already decided which five characters are going to be added as DLC fighters.
    2. Sakurai has specifically asked for people to stop flooding him with character requests.

I hate to say it, but I think you're fighting a losing battle and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    He got Kenji Watanabe to reply to him in an email about getting Agumon in Smash, I'm impressed. According to the user himself, Kenji said "I hope one day you achieve your dream".

i'd say thats a "hes not in lol"

Instead of Agumon, I would have Keisuke Amasawa with Gostumon, Betamon and Tentomon in the same style as Pokemon Trainer, and their final smash is turning into PileVolcanomon, MetalSeadramon and TyrantKabuterimon. then it works like a character already does and promotes the most recent game like Joker from Persona 5

Completely digital
    digimon isn't that worth to enter smash bros tbh, it's too niche to enter, especially if you only mention characters from Cyber Sleuth.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Instead of Agumon, I would have Keisuke Amasawa with Gostumon, Betamon and Tentomon in the same style as Pokemon Trainer, and their final smash is turning into PileVolcanomon, MetalSeadramon and TyrantKabuterimon. then it works like a character already does and promotes the most recent game like Joker from Persona 5
    The last thing Digimon needs is its Smash entrant being a Pokemon Trainer clone. We get enough crap from that fanbase as is.

I don't know why Joker was picked specifically as I know nothing about Persona. But so far every franchise rep has arguably been its most iconic, or rather, its 'mascot' character. I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games, but Cloud instantly springs to mind when I think 'Final Fantasy'. Keisuke being picked over Agumon (or even Takumi/Aiba) would be like adding Waluigi instead of Mario. Or Bamco adding a random Tamagotchi character to Mario Kart Arcade GP instead of Mametchi.

Actually, given the inclusion of decidedly non-violent characters like Animal Crossing's Villager and Isabelle, I wouldn't be surprised if Mametchi ended up getting in instead of any Digimon.

Completely digital SuperStarlite's Avatar
    Follow SuperStarlite On Twitter Visit SuperStarlite's Youtube Channel Add SuperStarlite on DeviantArt
    Joker may be the latest Persona protagonist, but he's already just as if not more recognizable than the previous protagonists. P5 really took off much more than previous games, which already have a nicely sized fanbase.

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    im still baffled that Joker made it into Smash P5 aint even on Switch and this is a bit to much for promotion for Persona Q2.
    also as a main series SMT fan i feel kinda offended that they didnt just pick Jack Frost, he is the Atlus mascot and they even make the newest SMT switch exclusive...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTartarus View Post
    im still baffled that Joker made it into Smash P5 aint even on Switch and this is a bit to much for promotion for Persona Q2.
    also as a main series SMT fan i feel kinda offended that they didnt just pick Jack Frost, he is the Atlus mascot and they even make the newest SMT switch exclusive...
    The Persona series has sold 3.1 million more copies than the entire SMT franchise, in 15 less games and these figures dont include the two new dancing games or PQ2. Wheter SMT fans like it or not, SMT is now considered the spin off, Persona is their main.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    The last thing Digimon needs is its Smash entrant being a Pokemon Trainer clone. We get enough crap from that fanbase as is.

I don't know why Joker was picked specifically as I know nothing about Persona. But so far every franchise rep has arguably been its most iconic, or rather, its 'mascot' character. I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games, but Cloud instantly springs to mind when I think 'Final Fantasy'. Keisuke being picked over Agumon (or even Takumi/Aiba) would be like adding Waluigi instead of Mario. Or Bamco adding a random Tamagotchi character to Mario Kart Arcade GP instead of Mametchi.

Actually, given the inclusion of decidedly non-violent characters like Animal Crossing's Villager and Isabelle, I wouldn't be surprised if Mametchi ended up getting in instead of any Digimon.
    They would've used Morgana if they were going for a mascot from Persona

and if Tai's Agumon gets in he'd just be stood at the side anyway. maybe we can have Mameo and his Mamemon instead. Then he's a parallel to Red. From the first game, and uses his redesign from the future game (FRLG and DWNO). Final Smash turns into Machinedramon

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast